As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GUST] Games. Atelier Ryza is now out, post your opinions here.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So I picked up Rorona plus awhile ago but I never actually started playing it. I fired it up last night. The introduction gives me some serious Recettear vibes.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    So I picked up Rorona plus awhile ago but I never actually started playing it. I fired it up last night. The introduction gives me some serious Recettear vibes.

Rorona certainly would, it's all about keeping a shop open. None of the Ateliers have the same setting twice it seems, so for now that's a unique thing. But they all have the alchemy, the bonding, and a canon setting throughout the trilogy you're playing. You just don't have to sell your wares in an actual shop, rather you just get orders or quests to fill out.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I meant thematic similarities specifically, with the basically being a slave and the first major event being the hanging of a sign with Rorona's name on it and whatnot.

• Options
    GUYS, this game isn't supposed to start making me FEEL so early into it!

• Options

These games all have personal stories and goals, it's part of their charm. It doesn't get better, Totori's drive is to find her lost mother, and Meruru is using Alchemy to better her small kingdom before it's annexed into Arland.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

These games all have personal stories and goals, it's part of their charm. It doesn't get better, Totori's drive is to find her lost mother, and Meruru is using Alchemy to better her small kingdom before it's annexed into Arland.

Ayesha is trying to save her sister who is trapped in a magical/spiritual limbo of semi non-existance.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    As long as it's not as sad as Veola's story from Iris I think I'll be ok.

I just thought the 1000 gold for a pebble quest from Cory was pretty touching.

I've finished the first term with max stars pretty easily and I'm trucking along into the second.

• Options
    Term 2 down, and only a handful of days in I have 7/10 starts for term 3. Things are going pretty ok.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Well, finished Shallie, although I was a big dummie and just Travel Gated back to Stellard instead of saving. Now I have to beat the final boss all over again to see the other Shallistera ending. Ah well.

In all, I like the game and don't really see a problem with the ending. It doesn't tackle the overarching issue with the land, but it does show that there's now SEVEN alchemists working on a fix from various walks of life. It shows where every protagonist is at the end, which is all you really need to know.

So yeah, good story, great combat, an Atelier ending despite people wanting more. Now to play Shallotte's side and get the true end, and wait for more info on either the next Atelier, or the Land of Endless Night game.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Atelier Sophie, headed to PS3, 4, and Vita.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/23/atelier-sophie-is-about-an-alchemy-loving-girl-and-her-half-amnesiac-partner/

Here's an announcement trailer that shows absolutely nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGZZo-TADLM

Screenshots at Siliconera's site.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Picture of the new lead. Fuck she's cute.

Ho6oIGs.jpg

Her partner (who I haven't seen any images of yet) was magic'd out of a book.

• Options

Ho6oIGs.jpg

Hmm, I would have to assume that this new game is part of a new Trilogy. Nothing makes it look like it's part of the Dusk series, though I suppose anything is possible. I didn't have a problem with the end of the Dusk trilogy, the series has never been about solving the world's issues, but I know many might be disappointed there isn't more closure.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options

Ho6oIGs.jpg

Hmm, I would have to assume that this new game is part of a new Trilogy. Nothing makes it look like it's part of the Dusk series, though I suppose anything is possible. I didn't have a problem with the end of the Dusk trilogy, the series has never been about solving the world's issues, but I know many might be disappointed there isn't more closure.

They're saving it for the Plus release on Vita. :bzz:

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Ho6oIGs.jpg

They're saving it for the Plus release on Vita. :bzz:

BTW, this continues Gust's fascination with artificial girls with strange powers, looks like it's a thing to stay in more than just the Exa Pico universe now.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Atelier Sophie, headed to PS3, 4, and Vita.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/23/atelier-sophie-is-about-an-alchemy-loving-girl-and-her-half-amnesiac-partner/

Here's an announcement trailer that shows absolutely nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGZZo-TADLM

Screenshots at Siliconera's site.

Hang on, this new teaser showed up last night, and the game is coming out in TWO DAYS in Japan?! Is this a new thing we're doing with games now?

'Here's a trailer for our brand new game, and it's out... tomorrow! Enjoy.'

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Calm down. It's releasing in September.

• Options
    I don't think that's for the release date, as Siliconera says September 25. It may just be a typo - the age old "someone confused 9 with 6".

• Options
    Calm down. It's releasing in September.

On the contrary, I thought it was awesome if that was a thing they were doing. Props for them keeping things a secret up until release, you know? But alright, September works too.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    New girls outfit is soooo godamned adorable. I'm in love <3 .

sig.gif
  • Options
    I wonder who the awesome male sidekick is going to be this time.

They have quite some competition comparing to Sterk and Keith.

• Options

Despite him only being in one game, Juris was awesomesauce. Also, not sure where Homura would fall under, since they don't have genders, but I think he should get an honorable mention as well.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Homura is one of those hilarious contrasts with something like Full Metal Alchemist, which had a plot entirely revolving around how decidedly reprehensible they consider it to be to use alchemy to fuck around with life.

Then we go to the Atelier games, where every game in some way involves creating sentient life and it's okay because it's cute and can run errands for them.

• Options
    Homura is one of those hilarious contrasts with something like Full Metal Alchemist, which had a plot entirely revolving around how decidedly reprehensible they consider it to be to use alchemy to fuck around with life.

Then we go to the Atelier games, where every game in some way involves creating sentient life and it's okay because it's cute and can run errands for them.

Actually with the Dusk homonculi it's doubly so. 'We didn't make these creatures, and they're immortal, and they make stuff and are paid in candy. So let's make nice with the adorable creatures and be friends, and never run out of candy, lest they crack open our skulls and feast on the sweet goo inside.'

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

Despite him only being in one game, Juris was awesomesauce. Also, not sure where Homura would fall under, since they don't have genders, but I think he should get an honorable mention as well.

Yes, Keith was not the awesome male sidekick in Ayesha. He was the giant dick sidekick in Ayesha. I hated the way he treated her.

Juris, on the other hand, was awesomesauce, and I also loved Logy for treating Escha as an equal and wanting them to learn from each other.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Okay, now this is cool.

LWpngKO.jpg

Gematsu has a bunch of info on the new game. The plot resolves around restoring Plachta's memory. It also has a day/night cycle, but we don't know if there's a time limit yet.
    http://gematsu.com/2015/06/atelier-sophie-first-details-screenshots

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Okay, now this is cool.

LWpngKO.jpg

Gematsu has a bunch of info on the new game. The plot resolves around restoring Plachta's memory. It also has a day/night cycle, but we don't know if there's a time limit yet.
    http://gematsu.com/2015/06/atelier-sophie-first-details-screenshots

Their translation is kinda shit, but I'll take the information.

Plachta's default outfit is... hmm... they usually keep the racy stuff for DLC. She has a devil tail too. I like how they say Plachta's 16; no, she's an old book who's avatar LOOKS 16.

It'll be nice to have a new trilogy with a teacher around for most games, the Dusk series didn't really have that. Plachta's all but guaranteed to have that 'you know nothing, John Snow' attitude that Astrid and Keithgriff had.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Yeah. I really like the tough-love teachers in the Atelier series. Those that push the protagonists to find something themselves after pointing in the right direction or giving a couple hints. (This means Keith and Astrid.)

• Options
    edited June 2015
    You can do that without being a giant jerk/creepy pedo, though.

I felt like Keith's version of tutelage was also completely out of place for Ayesha's goals. She wasn't trying to become a state alchemist or open her own shop or something. She was trying to save her sister's life. Somebody comes to you who is trying to rescue her missing/kidnapped sister, you don't go, "oh, you suck and you'll never get anywhere unless you work your ass off to become as awesome as me." You say, "That's terrible, how can I help you?"

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    You can do that without being a giant jerk/creepy pedo, though.

I felt like Keith's version of tutelage was also completely out of place for Ayesha's goals. She wasn't trying to become a state alchemist or open her own shop or something. She was trying to save her sister's life. Somebody comes to you who is trying to rescue her missing/kidnapped sister, you don't go, "oh, you suck and you'll never get anywhere unless you work your ass off to become as awesome as me." You say, "That's terrible, how can I help you?"

Pretty sure Keithgriff's motivation is 'if you have the drive to master Alchemy, then you should have the drive to figure the rest out on your own'. If Ayesha is trying to save her sister, that's good motivation; Keith is just seeing if Ayesha can figure out Alchemy. After all, the old traditional cauldron variety is said to be nigh impossible to master in the Dusk world, with very few becoming proficient at all in it. That's why imbuing was created.

Besides, it's not like Keith doesn't help, he just helps if Ayesha can't figure it out. The bad end is Keith just showing up at Ayesha's place with Nio and going 'You were taking too long, so I got her myself. Maybe Alchemy just isn't your thing'.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    It's still jerky, condescending, and inappropriate. It's also about the worst way to motivate a shy, sweet young person like Ayesha. I've known too many people like her who have been crushed by silly geese like Keith, when really what they needed was a friendly nudge in the right direction and positive reinforcement. I might have bought it all more if Ayesha had gotten angry in response and gotten good at alchemy to spite him, since the most realistic reaction of getting discouraged and depressed would be a real downer. I found her reaction ("I want to work hard so this mean dude will be proud of me!!!") as written in the game to be both unbelievable and kinda sexist.

If Keith knew he could rescue Nio from the outset, then he should have done it right away. Then he could offer his services as tough love coach or whatever to Ayesha. You don't play with somebody's life so you can test if somebody else is an alchemy prodigy or whatever. Of course, if he'd actually done that, it would miss the whole point of the story, which is why his character concept should have been scrapped from the outset.

It worked better with Raoul in Shallotte's story. Raoul was a bit of a jerk to Shallotte, who a) actually needed a bit of a kick in the butt and b) responds in an emotionally appropriate way to his jerkishness. You can tell she's disappointed that he makes it so difficult to prove herself, and see her getting sad and angry when he obviously doesn't get the message that she can take care of herself now. His tough love is a good thing at first, but the game shows when she outgrows the need for it, at which point it's not portrayed as a positive thing anymore.

• Options
    Keith's old and cranky and not good with people, but you can tell he's interested in helping. He told Ayesha that Nio was still alive, that Alchemy and flowers were the key, helps her find material in the library, even fights alongside her later. He helps plenty, he just isn't the friendly sort.

The characters are all tropes but very well written tropes. Keithgriff is clearly an old Edgelord of the first order, but by the end of the trilogy you get the answer to why he's that way. You don't have to like all the characters, but you can't say they're badly written.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I don't think Keith himself is badly written, I think Ayesha's reaction to him is badly written. Not even the meekest person I've ever met would react that way to that kind of treatment and actually mean it. The way the game presents their relationship makes it clear that we're supposed to approve of the way he acts towards her, and I have a huge issue with that.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    I don't think Keith himself is badly written, I think Ayesha's reaction to him is badly written. Not even the meekest person I've ever met would react that way to that kind of treatment and actually mean it. The way the game presents their relationship makes it clear that we're supposed to approve of the way he acts towards her, and I have a huge issue with that.

In Ayesha we're dealing with a pair of girls who've been living in the woods ALONE doing apothecary work. Nio disappeared when she was 13 and Ayesha was 14. It's not something you can quantify in modern reality. ;)

Honestly, Ayesha is basically the girliest and most innocent protagonist in any Atelier game I've played. But it works because the character owns it. She knows she's young and frail and doesn't know much, and relies on friends to do her research. She also constantly has internal monologues about why she's constantly battling giant monsters with a STICK. In that sense, she's one of the most realistic protagonists in the series, in my mind.

On the other hand... it's a video game, and we should probably stop comparing games to RL that are in no way trying to mimic RL. ;)

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    It's about the willing suspension of disbelief, though. Ayesha is indeed written quite well, and I think in general her character arc is wonderful at showing her growing confidence without changing who she is at her core. However, her relationship with Keith stretches believability too far for me. When you're writing hu-mans and not adorable little beasts who survive on candy, you can only stretch the psychology so far, and people who are treated like shit by somebody they go to for help don't react the way Ayesha does to Keith. They might avoid the person. They might rebel. They might go along with the person because they're desperate, but they're going to harbor some negative feelings about the person. We never see that from Ayesha. Instead she decides she likes him and wants to make him happy. That reads to me as written by somebody who has a skewed view of femininity, and yes, the responses I list are true across cultures, as seen by anthropological studies on micro-resistances.

And yes, I have every right to critique the character and writing in this manner. You can disagree, but don't tell me I can't.

• Options
    Ayesha gets annoyed as fuck with Kieth and wants to prove hin wrong. But she also wants his help, as a senior in her field.

I'm not sure where you get the 'she immedetly likes him' bit.

• Options
    I'll admit it's been a few years, I could be remembering her reaction more positively than it really was. I just remember at the end the game seemed to be portraying them as all hunky dory with each other and they were traveling together during Escha & Logy... and I was like, really?

• Options
    Did you not get the true end? ;)

• Options
    edited June 2015
    (Double Post)

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Probably not, I play Ateliers blind, so I rarely get the best ending.
    I did rescue Nio, though. Keith was neverever allowed in my party. Which, actually, probably means I couldn't have gotten the true ending.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options