As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Love] is...

• KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    [...] achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds.
    i've caught myself in a situation with a particular lady that i feel pretty fantastic about, but there's a lingering issue about 6 months in that i'm having a lot of trouble reconciling. if anyone has had a similar experience and can offer advice, i'd really love to hear it.

like i said, we're hitting just about the 6 month mark. it's been about 2 years since i've given anyone a really solid try in a relationship. i've dodged between gals here and there, but she really clicked with me, and i really dig her. there have been some pretty usual trials and tribulations, but we've worked through it. i'm a really busy guy and she's a busy gal, but we've tried and we both care so it's been alright.

but we've come to a point where the passion seems absent. we treat each other like really good friends, like pals, but not necessarily like people who are going anywhere together. we've done dates, trips, and have had some great experiences, but for faults of both of our own, it seems like we just can't push past where we've fell into. she's had a lot of problems in the past and put up a lot of walls, and we've worked on that. i have the same issues. i dunno, i guess i'm afraid there's no bouncing back point.

tl;dr is there ever a point where it's too late? we both seem to care about figuring out what's going on, and we're both working and trying. but it seems like something like this should be natural, just from personal experience. just looking for a light at the end of the tunnel i guess because i really don't like giving up.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    It's never too late but you can't sit around waiting for change.

Gotta recognize and try at it together. If that's too much, well, at least someone is giving up and that's sometimes how it is.

OrokosPA.png
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I'm bad at general advice but if you want to tell me more of the nitty gritty over PM or whatever we can talk

lfYVHTd.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Dear everyone on ok Cupid that I'm messaging: please answer me I am getting desperate

• TamTam Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Went on date. Had good time. Didn't stick the landing. Feel like I'm unintentionally pushing away good ladies. Oh well, rejection is part of the deal. But I'm kinda thinking this is a lot of energy and time to expend for a conversation. Need to up my date game perhaps. Do I need to learn how to dance or some shit? Nah, humans aren't worth the effort.

All right, this lady just asked for date number two, to my surprise.Take note humanists and optimists, this misanthrope gets Hell of dates!

Heh, and you thought you were hot shit with your dancin' and your ideals and hopes for humanity.

Pete
    Petey
    Peter

you can take your existential nihilism
    and you can shove it up your void hole

with me because technically I am too
    weeeeee hedonism+existential nihilism?!?!???

guys I think my anxiety might be getting to me
    I try to frame it this way
    by the time Tuesday rolls around, I'll be so emotionally exhausted that it'll be a relief to sit down and talk to another human being

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Dear everyone on ok Cupid that I'm messaging: please answer me I am getting desperate

Don't be.
    just be chill and wait like a tiger in the tall grass.
    Strike when you can and let those pass that don't fit what you are looking for.

This post brought to you by someone who knows the fire but none of the afterglow.
    I don't know what I like only know what I don't.

Speed I'm e-hugging you right now
    I am hoping that someone great replies to you and good things happen

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Well now I'm talking about Zeldas with one girl and generating animal crossing/silent hill crossover fan fiction with another so I guess I got my wish!

Who knows if either of those conversations are going anywhere but it's nice to at least get some dang acknowledgement

So many things make sense now! I KNEW those giant black slugs hanging from the ceiling were out of place! But nooooooo, everyone just keeps insisting to drink their hallucinogenic skin secretions

I am the smoothest operator

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    a many splendored thing.
    Tonight I went to a country bar and line danced like a fool
    And then I sang some country karaoke and some older ladies were hella swooning
    Then I skyped with the lady friend from the other night

Tonight was pretty good y'all

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I should probably send some messages to people on okc at some point huh.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    [...] achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds.
    okcupid never ended well for me
    not once
    but best of luck yo

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Hahah holy hell, how do I constantly manage to end up in insane and terrible things, wee. I miss being happy being alone.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I miss being happy and having fun.
    Outlook is not so good on requiring either soon.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    a universal migraine.
    I have been doing some interesting introspection the last few days
    Brains

poo
    a universal migraine.
    Including this subconscious incredulity at the idea of people liking me and being in a relationship and it's weird to think about but I guess good to acknowledge and get around that
    Brain

poo
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    not enough.
    Went on date. Had good time. Didn't stick the landing. Feel like I'm unintentionally pushing away good ladies. Oh well, rejection is part of the deal. But I'm kinda thinking this is a lot of energy and time to expend for a conversation. Need to up my date game perhaps. Do I need to learn how to dance or some shit? Nah, humans aren't worth the effort.

All right, this lady just asked for date number two, to my surprise.Take note humanists and optimists, this misanthrope gets Hell of dates!

Heh, and you thought you were hot shit with your dancin' and your ideals and hopes for humanity.

This woman has a legitimate superpower that's both a blessing and a curse AND a tragic back story to go with it. I can't even fucking comprehend what I just went through. Never seen anything like it. Never even heard of anything like it. Hair trigger. Multiple. For all practical purposes unending. Wondrous. The homemade croissants weren't even the highlight. Words do not suffice! They should have sent a poet.

Fuck off and die.
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    tell me more of these

hair-trigger croissants

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Including this subconscious incredulity at the idea of people liking me and being in a relationship and it's weird to think about but I guess good to acknowledge and get around that
    Brain
    Hello, yes, this is me, the guy who has turned down dates because if the belief that people couldn't possibly be romantically interested in him.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Brains are the worst.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    not enough.
    Butler wrote: »
    tell me more of these

hair-trigger croissants

Flaky buttery goodness.

Fuck off and die.
  • builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    Brain

I'm like this too. I'm always amazed when people accept me, or find me attractive. I seem to expect people to dislike me by default, so it's shocking when I'm proven wrong. Yay, self-confidence... :?

steam_sig.png
    a universal migraine.
    Gundi wrote: »
    Brain
    Hello, yes, this is me, the guy who has turned down dates because if the belief that people couldn't possibly be romantically interested in him.

I write it off on so many people who I meet, I realize, like, write off the possibility that there could be interest without thinking of it, so don't even consider making an effort a lot of the time because what, no wayyy
    I realize that now, silly

poo
    a many splendored thing.
    She went to San Diego for work and brought me back a bunch of stuff from this Taiwanese bakery there...

a many splendored thing.
    Helpful note to any ladies who are looking for that human skin lampshade to complete their collection

I can literally be lured in with pastries

It's like a German fairy tale up in here

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    You also give pastries to monsters in German folklore, it's not only monsters passing them out

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    If her house is made of gingerbread run for it!

a many splendored thing.
    You also give pastries to monsters in German folklore, it's not only monsters passing them out

A surprising amount of German culture is pastry-based
    Or maybe that isn't so surprising

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    not enough.
    Liiya wrote: »
    If her house is made of gingerbread run for it!

Unless it's a metaphor for sex, yeah, run. Otherwise, you eat that gingerbread like it deserves.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    oh, er

hrm?

I guess??

Grey Ghost wrote: »

A surprising amount of German culture is pastry-based
    Or maybe that isn't so surprising

Maybe some people here remember the Perchten, the costumed characters often looking like devils

In an early form of the Perchten tradition, they would visit isolated houses and ask for doughnuts

And they would claim some unspecified right of retaliation if they shouldn't receive any doughnuts

We mostly know about this because authorities were very concerned about this tradition - these masked and costumed people would often carry real weapons as part of their costume

edited June 2015
    I think some of the protocols I looked at were from the 17th century

Imagine living on an isolated homestead and then suddenly a band of people dressed like devils, carrying weapons, come out of the mist, clamoring for doughnuts

This was some gothic shit

Platy on
    gothic with just a soupçon of monty python

At some times there were fears that people would use this tradition to commit political murders or start a rebellion

But as far as I know, there's no record of any murder which was committed, however people were tortured because they were assumed to have been somehow connected to it

a doughnut rebellion

my favourite bit of history that never happened

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    a many splendored thing.
    There was a great cat prosecution that happened in Paris

I am sure I have mentioned this before

The German Peasants' War broke out because a countess ordered the local peasants to collect snail shells during harvest season (after a series of already bad harvests)

now I really want a doughnut.

This discussion has been closed.