As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] Next chapter of KotFE coming March 10: Disavowed

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Tulabelle wrote: »
    I think
    They are using Outsider so they don't have to have Imperial and Rebel dialog, locations, etc.

Agreed

Basically
    Every single player character class interacted in the Great Galactic War in some capacity.

Some became Darth's.

Some became famous.

Some even got to sit on the respective Dark/Jedi Council's.

But that all doesn't mean shit if both sides get steamrolled and lose and the Jedi and Sith are driven into hiding. So you're an outlander in this new Fallen Empire. I imagine some small things will get mentioned, perhaps the Sith Warrior Storyline and the Consular/Inquisitor places on the totem poll, but that's about it.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I guess we're spoilering because some people probably don't want to know about that content until they play it. Maybe it's not really necessary for this MMO, though.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I guess we're spoilering because some people probably don't want to know about that content until they play it. Maybe it's not really necessary for this MMO, though.

I just don't feel that new features like cross-faction play or a possible new race or class is a spoiler.

It's not like blabbering the twists in the Agent storyline or something. If you want to go into a game blind, stop reading internet forums about that game.

• Options
    And don't kid yourself, ea/bioware will be blizting all this info across the internet very soon. I seriously doubt anyone will manage to remain totally surprised by the time they actually get to play the expac.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    What's written about "Outsider" in that leaked press release doesn't make it clear if it's an elite class or not.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    What's written about "Outsider" in that leaked press release doesn't make it clear if it's an elite class or not.

Agreed, we are speculating.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Alls I know is that it's probably going to be TOO SWEEEEET!

• Options
    So the almighty defender of the status quo popped into the buttflaps thread, claiming authority of the majority based on preferring the buttflap status quo.

If anyone feels like pointing out that liking buttflaps doesn't mean your opinion is any better (or supported by a silent majority) than not, feel free. Otherwise I'll do it myself later.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The timeline has me the most skeptical. That's a very narrow timeline for a very ambitious expansion

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I'm thinking Outlander is like Exile. It'll be part of the story and a way for NPCs to address the PC.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Finally finished Agent Act 3
    I don't think the 'Batman' option where you take the Star Cabal over for yourself was available to me, because of how I sided with Jadus in Act 1. It seemed like there was really just the light side option to be a free agent for the empire, and the dark side option to double down with the sith.

I took the LS option, erased myself from the net, and became a free agent but that's mostly just because of how Jadus became invisible after Act 1. If he'd actually remained a more involved character I would have continued to side with him.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Not that I don't understand why they did that, there were only probably a tiny number of people who were ever going to side with Jadus, and the whole game would have changed dramatically if they had allowed siding with Jadus to alter the storyline. But even still, the way that decision just sort of pitters out and merges into the regular storyline makes the whole thing kind of lame, and I would advise anyone playing an Agent to not bother even if you're playing a very DS character - nothing ever comes of it and it's mostly nonsensical how they re-work it into the main story.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Tulabelle wrote: »
    I think
    They are using Outsider so they don't have to have Imperial and Rebel dialog, locations, etc.

Agreed

Basically
    Every single player character class interacted in the Great Galactic War in some capacity.

Some became Darth's.

Some became famous.

Some even got to sit on the respective Dark/Jedi Council's.

But that all doesn't mean shit if both sides get steamrolled and lose and the Jedi and Sith are driven into hiding. So you're an outlander in this new Fallen Empire. I imagine some small things will get mentioned, perhaps the Sith Warrior Storyline and the Consular/Inquisitor places on the totem poll, but that's about it.
    The thing is, according to Wookiepedia, the GGW is the time-period between the Empire's return to Korriban and the Treaty Of Coruscant signing. I dunno if the period from Act 3 onward in the game counts as a continuation of the same War or if it's labeled as something else entirely. If not, it makes sense that the Outlander is Lv60 since they're going to be older then the crop of heroes the other classes represent.

Dulfy.net has a write-up of the leaked page BTW, including the non-working pic-links and there's one that caught my eye for sure. I'm putting it in a box due to possible planet-name spoiler that's part of it and the rest of the pic-links.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    I'm thinking Outlander is like Exile. It'll be part of the story and a way for NPCs to address the PC.

This. I think "Outlander" will be a title, not a class.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE!

I'm sorry, I had to.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    If the leaks to be believed it sounds like a sort of garrison thing they're going for, for those familiar with wow.

It makes much more sense for something like that here though, with such powerful well connected characters we haven't seen much to actually indicate that.

• Options
    I'm sorry but chucking that one flesh raider who wants to be a jedi into the fire pit is:

a) The most amusing 50 DS points you will ever earn

and

b) Saves you a lot of time-wasting running around

• Options
    I like that one because instead of your usual "kiss babies or kick puppies" choices, you're presented with something more akin to Mass Effect. Yeah, barbecue-flesh-raider is kind of a dick move, but he took a damn hostage and only wants to get more power for himself which is probably not a good idea!

• Options
    I would find it much more morally troubling if the flesh raider had been willing to let the hostage go first. He won't, however. In order to fulfill the "good" option you have to actually walk away and leave the hostage with the hostage taker on the assumption that this will all work out.

Basic hostage negotiation says that that's not what you do. If you can free the hostage without killing the hostage taker, that's great. But if you have an opportunity to free the hostage by killing the hostage taker, that takes precedence over extending the situation and putting the hostage at further risk.

People who don't like this fact should probably not take any hostages. Because newsflash: If the police get a clear line of sight they will shoot you period.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    American police, maybe.

• Options
  • Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    American police, maybe.

Jedi are American.

Sith are europeans.

Nah. Jedi are all borderline pacifistic (until they have an excuse not to be, at which point they are surprisingly good in a fight but not numerous enough to be any use as a standing force and rely on others to keep them safe), weirdly proud about what they see as the harsh asceticism of their life compared to others despite massive government intervention to help them, insufferably smug about their moral superiority...they're clearly Canadian. (I say this as a Canuck.)

• Options
    American police, maybe.

Jedi are American.

Sith are europeans.

Nah. Jedi are all borderline pacifistic (until they have an excuse not to be, at which point they are surprisingly good in a fight but not numerous enough to be any use as a standing force and rely on others to keep them safe), weirdly proud about what they see as the harsh asceticism of their life compared to others despite massive government intervention to help them, insufferably smug about their moral superiority...they're clearly Canadian. (I say this as a Canuck.)

Honestly... nailed it.

On multiple levels. I salute, sir.

• Options
    Sith are Russians.

You took hostages? That's cute. Weapons free!

• Options
    I was just making a joke about the accents.

Honestly, sith are cartoons. There's nothing that even approaches that level of institutional stupidity in history, including nazis.

• Options
    Not all Sith are that stupidly-evil. Malgus, Marr, Silthar...

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

Who is the one who is in charge of the invasion of Corellia? He is competent. Of course he's the victim of false intel, but so is everyone else.

• Options
    A fourth screenshot from the KotFE trailer has been posted.
    8Ycp0w8.jpg

• Options
    So the almighty defender of the status quo popped into the buttflaps thread, claiming authority of the majority based on preferring the buttflap status quo.

If anyone feels like pointing out that liking buttflaps doesn't mean your opinion is any better (or supported by a silent majority) than not, feel free. Otherwise I'll do it myself later.

Ha ha, I said something.

• Options

Who is the one who is in charge of the invasion of Corellia? He is competent. Of course he's the victim of false intel, but so is everyone else.

I think that was a joint operation between three Dark Council members, but
    Darth Decimus
    was the final boss for the Republic side.

Also!

One advantage to being on a non-PVP server: there are would-be PVPers who are even worse at it than me. Case in point, on my Merc I had been flagged since earlier in the night (I got the datacron from the Republic base on Ilum), and was exploring Makeb for XP. I was at level 57 and had used other toons to send my Merc and Mako a whole mess of 172 mods (and Mako the 192 mainhand Cunning pistol). Driving around the Sanctuary, I passed by an unflagged Commando, crossed a bridge, saw an Archaeology node on the minimap back across the bridge, went back for it...and the Pub attacks me. I sighed out loud--I hate PVP, and it's my own fault for being unable to wait five minutes somewhere safe--and decided to see if I can at least get the node before the Pub kills me. I do. And then, because I'm nowhere near dead yet, I decide to see if I can't put up a fight before I die.

As it turns out, even after giving them something like ten seconds to wail on me without my companion out, I slaughter them, because they're level 55. And I've had close fights against lower-level characters in this game, because I'm so turribad at PVP, so this person suuuucked. (I didn't check their hit point total so they may have also had terrible gear--which is another strike against them, because if your gear is shit who the hell tackles someone two levels higher?)

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    The architect of the Corellia invasion was Decimus.

He had been laying the groundwork for a quick invasion for years with the political establishment, promising them an upgrade from politician to nobility, and with the exception of Corsec basically waltzed in unopposed.

And even then, all Corsec was really doing there was keeping the conflict going. Until the republic suddenly landed in force they were slowly being ground into a fine powder, with the green jedi being their only real strength.

• Options
    The game is really cagey about who actually won Corellia. I've completed it on both sides, and the Illium contacts for both sides refer to it as a victory.

And of course those who have completed the Agent storyline know that
    it wasn't a fucking victory for anyone, it was in fact narrowly averted mutual total annihilation.

• Options
    The game is really cagey about who actually won Corellia. I've completed it on both sides, and the Illium contacts for both sides refer to it as a victory.

it wasn't a fucking victory for anyone, it was in fact narrowly averted mutual total annihilation.

I think overall the Republic got the better of it, though that was not entirely up to them. (Corellia as a planet got the shit kicked out of them, but the Republic as a whole won.)

(spoilers for all stories; also long)
    First, in terms of command structure, the Republic lost the Supreme Chancellor (whether he stepped down, was captured, or was assassinated), a handful of important Jedi, and the Green Jedi were all but annihilated (again, that's more about Corellia than the Republic as a whole). Significant damage, to be sure, but it's still a problem for the Empire because losing a Supreme Chancellor doesn't mean much to the Republic--the system means that they'll soon be replaced by someone who might even be better at their job. Indeed, Janarus was replaced by Saresh, the Iron Twi'lek; meanwhile, Jedi are important as a strike force, but most aren't really part of the leadership structure. I don't think the Republic lost a single important military commander on Corellia, did they?

The Empire, meanwhile, ended up losing (as a direct or indirect result of the events of Corellia): no less than four Dark Councillors (though one was immediately replaced) along with possibly one Dark Lord who was in line to be named to the Council; the commander of the Imperial Guard (along with a significant number of the Guard); one of their top field commanders (possibly they got him back but only after trading who-knows-how-many POWs); a Grand Admiral; an extremely powerful fallen Jedi; several major Intelligence assets (which sucks because Intelligence was already disintegrating); the Emperor's Children; and the Emperor himself (though that was arguably a win for everyone).

This is because almost none of the Imperial class storylines were about Corellia, as such. The bounty hunter is there to satisfy a vendetta against a specific Jedi; the Agent is nominally a part of the Army but is in fact working against a conspiracy that's looking to destroy the Republic and Empire both; and both the Sith are, naturally, fighting against other Sith.

Meanwhile, the Republic storylines are about checking, stopping, or reversing the Empire's every move. They reclaimed strongholds, stopped major Imperial assaults and captured or killed key personnel. They were, y'know, fighting a war. Imperial characters say things like "I thought we won Corellia" because, if you'll notice, Darth Decimus was still alive at the end of the Imperial Corellia storyline, and he's the guy you kill to finish the Republic Corellia storyline. And from what I can tell, the Jedi Consular is the final class storyline, chronologically speaking, and their reinforcements allow for the big push that wins it. (Notice they're the only class whose final final battle occurs on Corellia.)

The battle continues, but while there are still a lot of Imperials on the planet (as indicated by an email you receive as a Jedi Knight during the Forged Alliances storyline), the implication is that the Imperial fleet pulled out and that the forces on the ground are all but on their own. (c.f. the Black Hole)

And again, Corellia got the shit kicked out of it--again, the Black Hole being basically lost, a lot of dead and traitorous Councillors, massive damage to infrastructure--but that's different from the Republic as a whole getting the worst of the battle. It could be said to be a Pyrrhic victory, I suppose.

• Options
    Yeah, I agree. As a Consular I felt like I had personally slaughtered half the Dark Council. I lost track of what was in my class missions and what was in the planetary missions, but it was veritably an army of sith muckity mucks getting the bad end of my lightsaber.
    The joke here is that as a shadow, my lightsaber doesn't have a "good" end to be on.

• Options
    Sith Warrior on Balmora, I'll be vague enough that it isn't spoilery.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why forcing the guy to confess to the dying dude is the only non-DS option, but just killing him quickly is DS, when it's clearly the only humane choice.

• Options

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why forcing the guy to confess to the dying dude is the only non-DS option, but just killing him quickly is DS, when it's clearly the only humane choice.
    Which guy are you killing quick?

• Options
    edited June 2015

Which guy are you killing quick?

I guess I was too vague to be clear to anyone who hasn't very recently done it. I shall elaborate.
    The SW is sent to Balmora to eliminate one of Baras' loyal spies. When you finally reach him you fight your way past all his men (it's necessary for it to not look like a targeted assassination, it has to be a real battle). The spy is slow "bringing reinforcements" (there are no reinforcements) and the men are supposed to be dead when he gets there. This is how he planned it, so they won't know that the person they died protecting was actually an imp spy.

But there is one last guy alive when he finally walks in. Your choices are: Kill him immediately, force the spy to execute him, and force the spy to confess to the man before killing him... just for fucking lulz? I don't even know.

Option 1 is DS, option 2 is DS, option 3 is neutral - inexplicably so because you're intentionally causing suffering to two people for absolutely no reason whatsoever since they are both about to die regardless.

Oh, I think I misunderstood your question. The guy you're killing quick in what I think was supposed to be the LS option, is the soldier, not the actual target.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Oh also my goal for this SW is permanent negative affection with Quinn.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

I think overall the Republic got the better of it, though that was not entirely up to them. (Corellia as a planet got the shit kicked out of them, but the Republic as a whole won.)

(spoilers for all stories; also long)
    First, in terms of command structure, the Republic lost the Supreme Chancellor (whether he stepped down, was captured, or was assassinated), a handful of important Jedi, and the Green Jedi were all but annihilated (again, that's more about Corellia than the Republic as a whole). Significant damage, to be sure, but it's still a problem for the Empire because losing a Supreme Chancellor doesn't mean much to the Republic--the system means that they'll soon be replaced by someone who might even be better at their job. Indeed, Janarus was replaced by Saresh, the Iron Twi'lek; meanwhile, Jedi are important as a strike force, but most aren't really part of the leadership structure. I don't think the Republic lost a single important military commander on Corellia, did they?

The Empire, meanwhile, ended up losing (as a direct or indirect result of the events of Corellia): no less than four Dark Councillors (though one was immediately replaced) along with possibly one Dark Lord who was in line to be named to the Council; the commander of the Imperial Guard (along with a significant number of the Guard); one of their top field commanders (possibly they got him back but only after trading who-knows-how-many POWs); a Grand Admiral; an extremely powerful fallen Jedi; several major Intelligence assets (which sucks because Intelligence was already disintegrating); the Emperor's Children; and the Emperor himself (though that was arguably a win for everyone).

This is because almost none of the Imperial class storylines were about Corellia, as such. The bounty hunter is there to satisfy a vendetta against a specific Jedi; the Agent is nominally a part of the Army but is in fact working against a conspiracy that's looking to destroy the Republic and Empire both; and both the Sith are, naturally, fighting against other Sith.

Meanwhile, the Republic storylines are about checking, stopping, or reversing the Empire's every move. They reclaimed strongholds, stopped major Imperial assaults and captured or killed key personnel. They were, y'know, fighting a war. Imperial characters say things like "I thought we won Corellia" because, if you'll notice, Darth Decimus was still alive at the end of the Imperial Corellia storyline, and he's the guy you kill to finish the Republic Corellia storyline. And from what I can tell, the Jedi Consular is the final class storyline, chronologically speaking, and their reinforcements allow for the big push that wins it. (Notice they're the only class whose final final battle occurs on Corellia.)

The battle continues, but while there are still a lot of Imperials on the planet (as indicated by an email you receive as a Jedi Knight during the Forged Alliances storyline), the implication is that the Imperial fleet pulled out and that the forces on the ground are all but on their own. (c.f. the Black Hole)

And again, Corellia got the shit kicked out of it--again, the Black Hole being basically lost, a lot of dead and traitorous Councillors, massive damage to infrastructure--but that's different from the Republic as a whole getting the worst of the battle. It could be said to be a Pyrrhic victory, I suppose.
    At the end of the day, storywise, the republic took back Corellia and kicked the actual invasion force off. A token force that was left behind effectively neutralizes the planet though, making it take more resources to get military assets from Corellia than they would receive from doing so.

The republic didn't gain anything so much, militarily, than to make the imperials lose some things instead.

And the only real loss, Darth-wise, was Decimus.

Most sith are even easier to replace than republic politicians. And a hell of a lot easier than those whiny jedi. "Oh no they killed the younglings wah wah"

Astale on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    I would find it much more morally troubling if the flesh raider had been willing to let the hostage go first. He won't, however. In order to fulfill the "good" option you have to actually walk away and leave the hostage with the hostage taker on the assumption that this will all work out.

Basic hostage negotiation says that that's not what you do. If you can free the hostage without killing the hostage taker, that's great. But if you have an opportunity to free the hostage by killing the hostage taker, that takes precedence over extending the situation and putting the hostage at further risk.

People who don't like this fact should probably not take any hostages. Because newsflash: If the police get a clear line of sight they will shoot you period.

Well there go my weekend plans

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.