As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One [Webcomics] Man

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    there's so much that is dumb about the design of bodies that have to be grown via self-replication from embryos (with all the difficulty with gastrulation) that you'd think any sensible robot body constructed for a conflict-prone environment would dispense with them

like, tidal lungs for oxidation are just terrible. Terrible.

what are the alternatives

legit asking, it's 4am and I don't have the capacity to break down the question into googlable components

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    I don't actually think Annie's going to defend her father in this case. I think Kat's going to rant for 1 to 2 panels, before either getting stopped by one of her parents for going too far, or Anthony cutting her off and saying "Enough."

There is a fifty-fifty chance he'll follow that up with either a direct claim, or insinuation that Kat is the one who has control over Reynard. (He's subtly suspicious and irked when he asks Tony if he and Anja are trusting of Reynard around their own daughter.)

Either way, I'm fully expecting the next page to end with Anthony deciding dinner is over and it is time to leave.

The next page might have Antony restricting Annie's access to Kat, possibly deciding that even if Kat is innocent of Annie's cheating, she is responsible for the major attitude change Annie went through during her years at the court, and therefore a bad influence. (Tom wouldn't have had Kat give Annie that walkie-talkie if he wasn't planning on having them use them at some point.)

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    there's so much that is dumb about the design of bodies that have to be grown via self-replication from embryos (with all the difficulty with gastrulation) that you'd think any sensible robot body constructed for a conflict-prone environment would dispense with them

like, tidal lungs for oxidation are just terrible. Terrible.

what are the alternatives

legit asking, it's 4am and I don't have the capacity to break down the question into googlable components

one inlet, one outlet so that air can flow through continuously, rather than one shared hole that forces a cycle.

it's difficult to grow holes in a body and then secure them against infection, and it's nigh impossible to grow axles (and thereby wheels, and thereby fans), but robots wouldn't have to deal with construction difficulties

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    maritzac wrote: »
    look if I was getting a robot body I'd pick one who is all swole and stuff
    also I'd probably pick a different face than the one everybody is looking for to execute or imprison but hey that's me

Nah who the fuck I'm kidding. I'd pick a dinosaur body. fuck yeah

oh, I already have a rough idea of the route I'd go
    3750173-7139900776-The-M.jpg

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    lungs have ribcages because they're mission-critical for continued existence, but ribcages also restrict how much they can shrink and thereby enforce a lot of wasted volume in an air pump

never mind being hell to clean. you have to bank on mucus to catch dust and then on cilia to haul that stuff out. if that doesn't work, then whatever you breathed in gets stuck in there forever.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    PET4IqE.png

• Options
    if I could design my own super cyborg body I would beee

a giant flying manta ray

yes

with an on-board tank for knitting up remote controlled human-looking biodrones that I could drop into civilization as necessary

and speaking of bees I would definitely include a couple of built-in hives of wickle beebots for maintenance, repair

surveying, investigation

terrorizing

just whatever needs doing really

I mean why would you not have robot bees

that's probably the most unrealistic thing about this dc update, that kimiko is not just seething with thousands and thousands of bees

• Options
    Nvn6crO.jpg

FE3yAZM.jpg
    Those two additional panel lines in the bottom panel are...completely pointless. They don't improve the flow of the page, nor do they make the page more interesting (which I guess was what I was hoping for), ergo: they serve absolutely no purpose and are merely distracting. The unedited ink lineart (the one that's up as a vote incentive) even had a third line down the middle, dividing the bottom panel into four equally large semi-panels, but that one I just had to go ahead and remove yesterday when I was proof-reading this page; it was far too annoying.

Usually I try not to go back and edit out any poor choices I've made in the pages, since the point of a practice comic is (for me, at least) to try all kinds of things, make both good and bad decisions and then let those decisions stand. If I were to go back and improve all the old pages (or *gasp!* redraw them) as the comic progresses, in the end it would just look like I never even made those mistakes in the first place. That's no fun for anyone! Personally I like being able to actually note when a fellow (comic)artist has improved at something over time, which becomes very difficult when redrawn or heavily edited pages start replacing the original ones. Not that I can blame anyone for doing that, if aRTD was meant to be the greatest thing I ever did, you bet I would be redrawing pages like crazy-pie, and that's probably something I'll end up doing now and then with SSSS. But for now: no hindsight-edits allowed for me! x<

A Redtail's Dream

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    If I got a robot body it'd be a decentralized swarm of nanobots so I would be impossible to destroy and could form into shapes whenever needed.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    my ideal robot body has bigger boobs and a pushup bra, because I am Aaron Diaz

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    VWwPWbo.jpg?1
    IT’S TIME FOR “EX-PLAIN”
    WHAT’S A MOE?!
    “We’ll Take On Major Questions Comics” with Neco Masaka-chan and Library Majide-chan. What’s happened, ikinari? Why don’t you type it into your browser? “kawaiikochan.moe”. You might find… fufufu, the same old Kawaiikochan comics as itsumo.

kawaiikochan.moe

• Options
    neck joints: whiplash is hard to engineer against. why bother? take it as given that it's nice to be able to move your head to see, hear, and say things, but then there's no reason not to just stick redundant cameras and sensors everywhere and adjust stereo image/sound processing appropriately.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    If I got a robot body I'd make sure the filtration system had multiple redundancies and wasn't inexplicably linked to temperature control and emergency power,

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    i have to make sure that the first thing my robot body machine does is cram my big cyber boobs into something supremely flattering

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Thetheroo on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    hn1xvjhbm33b.png
    Yeah, that's just not on.
    I mean, if you're going to commit inetflixdelity, at least hide it from your significant other.
    You can just make some wild 'predictions' about upcoming episodes, and end up looking really smart when they happen.
    Just don't get too specific.
    You might get away with "Oh, I bet she grabs for his gun", but "I bet he counters with a right jab, then follows up with a roundhouse kick" will probably give the game away.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    now that's interesting

if they got addicted, would it follow them around from body to body?

is addiction in the flastical

• Options
    edited June 2015
    ohrymom7telg.jpg
    ''No! Someone else!''
    Gonna be honest here, I totally forgot that Tiny Spy was there.
    Although he seems to be a lot bigger now, unless I'm misreading things. Size-changing tiny spies are just silly, in this world of ninja doctors and gorilla receptionists. And raptor-banditos. And twelve-year olds with magnificent moustaches. And Dracula with a moonbase okay you know what size-changing tiny spies don't even register on that scale, I withdraw my criticism.

klemming on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The Strong And Short Of It

2015-06-15-The-Strong-And-Short-Of-It.jpg
    Chafe thigh is no laughing matter. Every year, 1 out of 1 fat people will suffer from the volatile collision of sweat, friction and cellulite, creating patches of the most vibrant crimson flesh betwixt their sore sore waddle hams.
    True story tonight at work I saw a bearded tower of a man in a patterned button up and thought I was about to meet Ronnie but he came right up to me and asked a question so I knew him to be false

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So looking at the last few pages of Demon, because I harbor morbid curiosity about it, at least Shiga had the, for lack of better term, decency* to have Jimmy's child become a nihilistic jackass who only cares about self-pleasure and damning the consequences.

*Integrity? No, that term doesn't feel right either.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    At the very least he's putting something into the story that actually acknowledges the time skip in a meaningful way beyond jokes about prices.

• Options
    azk06ot88mlg.jpg
    jgsp4kvztbzr.jpg
    h8bgx7ws6jly.jpg
    le9lpj23seec.jpg
    Thunderstruck features girls who can apparently create invisible pipes at will. Only God was meant to have this kind of power, so Fundamentalist Grandma is not amused.
    (I know the font is all over the place, it starts to stabilize soon.)

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Okay, now that's out of my syst- OH SHIT
    341.jpg

Stand Still Stay Silent
    Oh fuck yes, Sigrun limit break incoming

At first I was kind of annoyed that you see the bottom of the last page in this, but reading it on the homepage it works better as a representation of stuff happening at the same time.

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    maritzac wrote: »
    look if I was getting a robot body I'd pick one who is all swole and stuff
    also I'd probably pick a different face than the one everybody is looking for to execute or imprison but hey that's me

Nah who the fuck I'm kidding. I'd pick a dinosaur body. fuck yeah

oh, I already have a rough idea of the route I'd go
    3750173-7139900776-The-M.jpg
    Yeah she's rad, but she ain't no
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcWpJq-4VuQ

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Okay, now that's out of my syst- OH SHIT
    341.jpg

Stand Still Stay Silent
    Oh fuck yes, Sigrun limit break incoming

At first I was kind of annoyed that you see the bottom of the last page in this, but reading it on the homepage it works better as a representation of stuff happening at the same time.

Yeah, I shoulda probably included the commentary on this one:
    This page's a bit smaller than the rest, the previous one takes up about 2/3 of the top of the spread so there was only room for one narrow row of panels for this one.

Definitely going to pick up the first SSSS book when it comes out.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    In this post, I passive-aggressively point out that the VGCats on the last page is essentially using a joke that PA came up with eight years ago, and while I understand that these things happen on occasion, I'm reasonably sure that it's not the first time. Then add-in the fact that it's a joke that is also about Streetpass Mii Plaza which debuted six years ago, and... yeah.

italics
    I almost posted the PA comic immediately after the VG Cats comic.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I was mostly amazed that the VGcats strip featured a gamecube.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    This whole Gunnerkrigg arc makes me super anxious whenever I think about it.

I don't like being anxious.

The dinner has been quite satisfying.

Everyone has been waiting for this to happen ever since her Dad showed up.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    I expected Court secrecy to come up at some point, I expected it to be more diplomatic than this though

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    In this post, I passive-aggressively point out that the VGCats on the last page is essentially using a joke that PA came up with eight years ago, and while I understand that these things happen on occasion, I'm reasonably sure that it's not the first time. Then add-in the fact that it's a joke that is also about Streetpass Mii Plaza which debuted six years ago, and... yeah.

italics
    I almost posted the PA comic immediately after the VG Cats comic.

Also today's TPS I'm pretty sure has come up before, but I couldn't find where.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    is that robot girls face supposed to be different??

i mean
    her eyebrows are more on fleek and her eyes are a different colour and she got some false eyelashes, but her face is the same...???

Kochikens on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    1434207203-chapuno26.png

Never Satisfied is about supportive kids

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Wait so, she has robot hair now? Because she just shaved her head.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I love how all you guys are completely ignoring the potential psychological trauma of switching to an entirely different body. She`s got robot lungs and robot hair because that`s what her brain is used to.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

No limbs though. Well maybe one

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Wait so, she has robot hair now? Because she just shaved her head.

She also got her skull replaced by cybernetics, so probably

although I suspect it's less "robot hair" and more "permanent wig"

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    it's dresden codak

don't worry about the logic behind it

it's all stupid

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

Same except for the Aaron Diaz bit

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    e86895b07176570f30dc8945dff392b87e86da4f.png?1434352105

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    JJ flaked the fuck out

without any Centaurs made to call Diaz's gambit he could just go hog wild on boringness

somebody had to challenge him with an actual equine example, and nobody did

VRXwDW7.png
This discussion has been closed.