As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hollywood [chat]s

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Ok, now I get it. It seems like the big deal isn't actually that its AR. It's that they are doing something other than an FPS with a VR style display. I think you could do the same thing in a much more immersive way with a VR headset, BUT regardless, having the world be down and walking around it is much more interesting than just playing an FPS. I would like to play a strategy game or city building game like this.

My problem with ALL of the VR solutions, oculus included, is that it necessitates leaving earth. you put a thing on your head that completely blocks out the outside world.

Sitting on the couch and playing a game when you have other people who may or may not want to talk to you or pets to pay attention to or stuff going on in the kitchen or whatever seems like a huge hassle and a major fail point.

Hololens never replaces reality, it just supplements it. If summer wanted to ask me a question she could. The TV could still be running a camera in the game so she knows what is going on even if she does not see exactly what I do.

It seems a bit more real-life friendly.

Yes, but the compromise is that you are constraining the game world in weird ways. Why would you ever want to play a game like minecraft on limited size table?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    milski wrote: »
    That was very impressive, although I do have to echo the "The 3DS can already do that, it's just nobody cares" thing.

nobody cares because it is happening on a screen smaller than a smartphone's screen and it really truly does not have the level of sophistication of this product.

AR has been around for a long time as apps on smartphones and other similar places, but this might be the first consumer product that really blows the doors off the concept.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Like I said before, it could be a sick way to simulate board games and table top games though.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    what even is this [chat]

um we already explained

its hollywood chat

take out your dick

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    If I can't play paradox grand strategy games like ck2 or eu4 on it and pretend i am aegon the conqueror come again to look upon the painted table i want no part of new technology

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    yay, may get grazed by a tropical storm tonight.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    what even is this [chat]

um we already explained

its hollywood chat

take out your dick

TL DR, you were at a festival this weekend, right?

Hakkes, I'm gonna suggest that he might already be over his weekly nudity limit.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    what even is this [chat]

um we already explained

its hollywood chat

take out your dick

I'm telling human resources about this

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Theo says "Dad!" I said "Shut up Theo, this is your first and only Malcolm-Jamal warning! Then I will rain down shit all over your face." Then I cut into Fat Alberts warm body and the Huxtable living room filled with the smell of A1 Steak Sauce and metal."

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    As burnothy's lawyer,

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Like I said before, it could be a sick way to simulate board games and table top games though.

Imagine an XBone game that comes with a board and pieces that are physical, but then a virtual world is put on top of it for four players sitting around a table.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Yay!

Wait

I mean

Be safe, and I hope it doesn't get too bad!

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Can I use the hololens to take out my dick when my dick is not really out?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Ok, now I get it. It seems like the big deal isn't actually that its AR. It's that they are doing something other than an FPS with a VR style display. I think you could do the same thing in a much more immersive way with a VR headset, BUT regardless, having the world be down and walking around it is much more interesting than just playing an FPS. I would like to play a strategy game or city building game like this.

My problem with ALL of the VR solutions, oculus included, is that it necessitates leaving earth. you put a thing on your head that completely blocks out the outside world.

Sitting on the couch and playing a game when you have other people who may or may not want to talk to you or pets to pay attention to or stuff going on in the kitchen or whatever seems like a huge hassle and a major fail point.

Hololens never replaces reality, it just supplements it. If summer wanted to ask me a question she could. The TV could still be running a camera in the game so she knows what is going on even if she does not see exactly what I do.

Yes, but the compromise is that you are constraining the game world in weird ways. Why would you ever want to play a game like minecraft on limited size table?

I dunno, it's not any more limited than my laptop screen is and i play minecraft on that all the time

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    what even is this [chat]

um we already explained

its hollywood chat

take out your dick

Already done.

This might be an awkward afternoon at work though...

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Imagine an XBone game that comes with a board and pieces that are physical, but then a virtual world is put on top of it for four players sitting around a table.[/quote]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eye_of_Judgment

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    are we all back in on donk's minecraft server?!

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Saw title of chat, was going to be disappointed if it wasn't this. Great job, Hakkes, C+

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    As burnothy's lawyer,

haven't you been disbarred for excessive swolery and unethical breach of attorney client privilege

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Theo says "Dad!" I said "Shut up Theo, this is your first and only Malcolm-Jamal warning! Then I will rain down shit all over your face." Then I cut into Fat Alberts warm body and the Huxtable living room filled with the smell of A1 Steak Sauce and metal."

Who's the most fuckable huxtable

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I don't know what you just said, but it gave me an erection and my skin became slightly darker.

15d8a5b313f2b366b3db8efce6cc7f31.jpg

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

I hope we aren't. But there is that tiny part of me that's reminding me that the last bit of flooding got me four days off and I'm on vacation next week.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

riemann is minelord now

well, most recently i haven't played on his server in a while

i dunno if it's still running

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Omg I can't believe I forgot Bob Ducca's list of ailments

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Saw title of chat, was going to be disappointed if it wasn't this. Great job, Hakkes, C+

gasp

the highest possible grade

i'm honored

• Options
    AR seems like it will be best for quirky games and applications, so probably better as a PC thing than console.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I want the oculus rift to come with a pair of gloves and track my hands really accurately. Fuck these weird motion controller things. Also I'd wear one of the gloves when I go out places because it would be the future and that sort of thing will be cool then.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    What about C++

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    AR seems like it will be best for quirky games and applications, so probably better as a PC thing than console.

Uh huh.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Imagine an XBone game that comes with a board and pieces that are physical, but then a virtual world is put on top of it for four players sitting around a table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eye_of_Judgment[/quote]

AR that involves looking at a screen that is not your POV that is drawing stuff onto a video feed of what you are doing just isn't the same.

This is like the better parts of google glass, with a much bigger display, without the desire to plant cameras and microphones on people to gather ad data.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    I want the oculus rift to come with a pair of gloves and track my hands really accurately. Fuck these weird motion controller things. Also I'd wear one of the gloves when I go out places because it would be the future and that sort of thing will be cool then.

To use the gloves, you'll have to like them on facebook first though.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

Oculus Touch is kind of that, though not gloves. Maybe an intermediate step between now and what you want?

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

That, and wearables / waggle controllers are never not going to be stupid.

• Options

Uh huh.

Table top simulator would be incredible on it. So would games like civilization or cities skylines. I can't think of many console games it would be that desirable for. FFT or Disgaea, I guess.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options

537ez5tnkmzc.jpg

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

Oculus Touch is kind of that, though not gloves. Maybe an intermediate step between now and what you want?

Oculus Touch is "these weird motion controller things".

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    OR is a weird device

i have used both devkit 1 and 2

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »

riemann is minelord now

well, most recently i haven't played on his server in a while

i dunno if it's still running

Yeah it's running. It's a bit resource intensive these days as there are a lot of mods.

Info in my sig.

Also I turned down the mobs so it's no longer deathsville thunderdome style.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I can see where this is going.

big-bang-theory-jerkoff.jpg

This discussion has been closed.