As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Metal Gear] Solid V comes out September 1st

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Metal Gear Solid 2 (The Correct Answer)
    Also...I really need someone to explain MGS technological advancements timeline to me.

Cause man...they seem all over the place.

Dragkonias on
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    The one other thing I have to say about that trailer is that the music choice is great

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Man...there is no way you can convince me that Kojima doesn't do some type of drug.

the only way anyone could be more creative than me is if they use a lot of drugs!

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    The one other thing I have to say about that trailer is that the music choice is great

...which was also recorded in 1984, according to Wikipedia

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    Man...there is no way you can convince me that Kojima doesn't do some type of drug.

the only way anyone could be more creative than me is if they use a lot of drugs!

Who...said my drugs comment had anything to do with creativity?

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Also...I really need someone to explain MGS technological advancements timeline to me.

It's simple, technology advances with every game in the series

l3icwZV.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    "From the man who sold the world"

This game is just going to be top to bottom Bowie references isn't it?

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Let's just say this, and this is a spoiler that I kinda don't want to spoil because it's a theory.
    I'm not 100% sure any scene with Horned/Punished Snake is even REAL.

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    -SPI- wrote: »
    "From the man who sold the world"

This game is just going to be top to bottom Bowie references isn't it?

big boss hires nikola tesla (played by david bowie) to build a cloning machine, how else can you explain venomous snake (this is also how The Horrible Babies project is kicked off)
    But like in The Prestige, david bowie just uses the money to buy a bunch of hats

l3icwZV.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Also...I really need someone to explain MGS technological advancements to me.

In the 60s a dude in Russia developed the plans for the first Metal Gear, and when they were rejected by his government in account of being stupid he sent the plans to a friend he had in America

America continued developing metal gear in secret, with the first prototype, metal gengar RAXA, being completed in the late 60s. Eventually, the plans were rolled into a much more advanced project, the Peace Walker.

Because Peace Walker needed an extremely sophisticated AI to work as intended, computing advances by leaps and bounds, and computers capable of perfectly simulating human beings were created in the 70s. This technology continued to advance through the next several decades until the 2000s, when the hyper intelligent Patriot AIs were brought online

Also in the late 90s and early 2000s Nanomachine technology was developed by Naomi, and nanomachines can do basically anything

The main thing to understand is that most of this technology was heavily suppressed by groups like Cipher. If you're not a high ranking member of the CIA or work for Big Boss, then as far as you're concerned technology is only maybe slightly ahead of the curve of technology in real life.

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Man, the Kojima Productions logo is in the trailer, without the words "Kojima Productions."

I don't know how the rest of you feel, but I am hella broken up that this is essentially the last Kojima Metal Gear game.

Igort on
    Metal Gear Solid
    Metal gengar

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    On one hand it sucks

On the other hand, it's sort of fitting for this to be the last metal gear he makes

I just hope he finds a place that will empower him to do something cool and new, and that if metal gear games keep going that whoever's in charge now doesn't fuck it up too bad

Metal gear walks a really thin tight rope between interesting narrative construction and banal anime bullshit, and while it's faltered at times the Kojima directed games have moooooostly been able to maintain the balance necessary to make the series work. Someone that doesn't know te franchise inside and out could really flub up and either make something audaciously offensive, crazy pretentious, or super dull

Metal Gear Solid 3
    I mean, absolutely. Kojima's been wanting to walk away from the series for what feels like well over a decade. I respect the guys work so much that I want him to be able to do what he wants.

It's just... I've been such a huge fan of this franchise since back when MGS1 came out. It's going to be real hard to say goodbye.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    new order is pretty much my favorite band these days, so yeah this trailer got me pretty pumped

uc3ufTB.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    also holy shit this game is gonna be fucking ridiculous

uc3ufTB.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I still hate that WW2 Metal Gear with The Boss got buried because of Revengance issues.

At least Revengance got good.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I just hope the whole Konami ordeal hasn't soured him away from making games for a bit

so uh
    paz survived huh

i approve of this, kojima

uc3ufTB.png
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    That was clearly Liquid and Solid at the end there, right?

I'm not going crazy?

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    They're definitely Boss Babies

I'm not gonna speculate beyond that

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Big Boss Babies

We make our dreams come true

edited June 2015
    I forgot what happened during Ground Zeroes but
    was it ever clear that Paz died or was it always ambiguous

Dragkonias on
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    It seemed pretty clear at the time!

Yet here we are

Not sure where people are seeing
    Gray Fox?

uc3ufTB.png
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    To be fair, just because a shot of the blonde girl's face was juxtaposed with the other shot of a stomach scar doesn't mean it's the same person in both shots, that could just be classic trailer misdirection. Sniper Wolf seems like a safer bet to me. Unless they really lean into the clone stuff...

04xkcuvaav19.png
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Not sure where people are seeing
    Gray Fox?

Ditto. Seeing people mentioning it everywhere but I rewatched it and am still not seeing it.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Since this game seems to want to officially fill in all the blanks between Peace Walker and Metal Gear, bringing the series full circle, maybe the whole Kojima/Konami thing was just Kojima "faking his own death" so people would finally leave him alone about making more Metal Gear games

Also...I really need someone to explain MGS technological advancements to me.

In the 60s a dude in Russia developed the plans for the first Metal Gear, and when they were rejected by his government in account of being stupid he sent the plans to a friend he had in America

America continued developing metal gear in secret, with the first prototype, metal gengar RAXA, being completed in the late 60s. Eventually, the plans were rolled into a much more advanced project, the Peace Walker.

Because Peace Walker needed an extremely sophisticated AI to work as intended, computing advances by leaps and bounds, and computers capable of perfectly simulating human beings were created in the 70s. This technology continued to advance through the next several decades until the 2000s, when the hyper intelligent Patriot AIs were brought online

Also in the late 90s and early 2000s Nanomachine technology was developed by Naomi, and nanomachines can do basically anything

The main thing to understand is that most of this technology was heavily suppressed by groups like Cipher. If you're not a high ranking member of the CIA or work for Big Boss, then as far as you're concerned technology is only maybe slightly ahead of the curve of technology in real life.

"Metal gengar"

Thanks iphone

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    You know I did not even give that a second thought. Totally believed there was a Metal Gengar made at some point

Metal Gear Solid
    Zay wrote: »
    Metal gengar

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Metal Gear Solid
    I also what to point out how hilarious it is your phone corrected to gengar, a not real thing, instead of the word gear

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Metal Gear Solid
    I also want to point out I'm glad nobody owned me for my phone autocorrecting what instead of want

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    That monologue was fucking perfect

That's the shit I want from mgs

Not boob jiggles from those who don't exist

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    that zoomed in boob jiggle was super weird

like, what

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    that zoomed in boob jiggle was super weird

like, what

It's still a Metal Gear game

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    well if it was meant to be a titillating character design I would at least understand the intent, but that doesn't seem to be what they were going for. So it's just like, what

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    well if it was meant to be a titillating character design I would at least understand the intent, but that doesn't seem to be what they were going for. So it's just like, what

I think the idea was "Here's a pretty lady...OH NOOO SHE'S A ROBO DEMON"

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Something something ashamed something words deeds

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
This discussion has been closed.