As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Welcome to the DARKSEID finished(page 2)

BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With UsRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Artist's Corner
...Here comes the Spider-Man!

All this stuff here is from my Comic and Storyboard class. We're supposed to follow this six page test script that Marvel has on their site (I'm not sure where...). Basically its Hyde and two henchmen crashing a fancy party thrown by one of MJ's friends. I'm not enthusiastic about the script, but meh. I'm only going to post my designs and sketches for now. I'll probably scan in my page thumbnails and revisions and that tomorrow so that if anybody has any tips on whats working and whats not they can give me a heads up. That way I won't get my ass handed to me in class. I'd like to scan the pages I have so far, but they're still in blue line, so they A) won't scan well; and B) are 11 x 17 and won't fit in my scanner. In the meantime...

from oldest (top) to newest (bottom)

HydeSketch.jpg

HydeSketch2.jpg

HydeSketch5.jpg

HydeSketch4.jpg

HydeSketch3.jpg

SpideySketch.jpg

SpideySketch2.jpg

SpideySketch3.jpg

MJSketch.jpg

HenchmanSketch.jpg

HydeandHenchmenSketch.jpg

Sorry about some of the blue line stuff, I know its harder to see. More to come tomorrow (if I remember that is).

EDIT: links to how Hyde looks in the actual Marvel Comics.

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Mister_Hyde

http://www.samruby.com/Villains/MisterHyde/mister_hyde.htm

Buckwolfe on

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    That's some spiffy stuff there man. I do have a quick question about Mr Hyde though; What can he exactly do? Is he just super strong or is there more to it than that? Once I really start to get good at drawing figures and scenery, there's an assload that I want to do with Hyde (an original adaptation, not the Marvel one), and I just want to make sure that the good ideas aren't taken.

Godfather on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Hyde_(comics)

I have some character analysis handouts that I was given, but Wiki does a good job of summing it all up.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Needs more 'how do i shot web?'

Hm, good stuff, though you have some anatomy issues that are pretty commonplace. In both MJ and spider man the heads seem too large, and the body isn't long enough. The general muscle anatomy is pretty good, it just seems like the proportions need work.

Hands are a little big, and should reach down to mid-thigh instead of the knees. You draw wonderful hands though.

Other than that, looks nice. The clothing folds on MJ are a bit iffy, and her face looks a little strained, but you're not drawing your own characters, so it's understandable.

Hope that helped ~ <3

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I know exactly what you're talking about TODK, and I'm trying to think of a better way to explain why that is without falling back on the old "Oh, it's just my style" schtick. It's a real copout, but in all do honesty, I draw most of my figures with slumped/low set shoulders, lanky arms, and large hands. Theres just something about arms that border on ape-like that I'm very keen on. Don't ask me why. If I'm forced to, such as in past figure drawing classes, then I'll forgo that "stylistic" preference. But in almost every other situation I start breaking out the monkey limbs.

I have to bite the bullet on the head size thing though. I have a tendency to make people look more child-like every now and then. Which now that I think of it, makes perfect sense when you take into account that I'm only 5'4. I draw a lot of things from my personal perspective, because that's what I'm accustomed to. Much in the same way that most figures that I draw are white males. Granted a good portion of them look like they're 117 years old, but still. Its just one of those little subconscious things.

That doesn't mean that I'm writing off your crit, it was just an observation I had while taking what you said into account. I do have to work on making things look less child-like and dwarfish. So thanks for the suggestions!Surprised.gif

I also edited the first post with a link to pics of how Hyde actually looks in the real Marvel Universe, to make a better conparison to my rendition.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    These are awesome man. The first thing I thought of when I saw spiderman was also "How do I shot web?" You need to put that in somewhere.

TheBog on
  • Options
    RagnarDanneskjoldRagnarDanneskjold Registered User new member
    edited October 2006
    Those are really good mate! The only one that weirds me out a little is the cowgirl. She's not exactly what one would call 'pretty'. But, maybe that is how you meant to draw her. :P

I imagine that female faces are tough to draw, though. What with the delicate features and all.

Good work, man.

Cheers!

RagnarDanneskjold on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Finally managed to scan some pages. Unfortunetly not all of them scanned as well as I wanted, and they're pages 3 and 4. I would have liked to have scanned in 1 and 2 first, but 1 needs more touch ups and 2...well...I don't want to get into page 2. The pages are 11 x 17, so I had to scan them in sections. The panel edges were too light to show up but I think you can fill in the blank gutters. I'm also too lazy to sit and thread them all together to form a complete page, so I'll just post them in decending order.

Anyway the number of errors in these pages are many, so have fun finding them all.

PAGE 3 (third section of page wouldn't scan)

Page3part1.jpg
    Page3part2.jpg
    Page3part4.jpg

PAGE 4

Page4part1.jpg
    Page4part2.jpg
    Page4part3.jpg
    Page4part4.jpg

There. Now I have to go clean the dirty dishes because my roommate doesn't know how to and is too lazy to bother anyway.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    where da backgrounds at

paulwind on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I suck at perspective, so I've been putting it off. I have to work on doing backgrounds tomorrow.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So I get the impression that Spidey is landing on the 2 gas mask dudes in the last panel. I think some action lines are in order. Pretty cool so far dude.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    galengalen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Buckwolfe wrote:
    I suck at perspective, so I've been putting it off. I have to work on doing backgrounds tomorrow.

Baaaad idea. You should be planning this stuff out BEFORE the pages get this far. I have serious doubts you will be able to put an even halfway convincing background in any of those panels now.

galen on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Or if they were convincing, they wouldnt be interesting.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Galen - Oh, I'm well aware that its a very bad idea, but time has been sort of a big issue with this assignment. And weighing that against the facts that I'd spend twice as much time doing a BG for one single panel than I would doing a whole page, and that I suck at perspective, well, I had to do something. Its not as if I'll be pulling the backgrounds out of my ass though. I made sure that my thumbnails included something so that I'd have a rough idea of whats going on. I think I can manage to pull off some halfway convincing backgrounds. They won't be anything great, but it'll be something.

Sublimus - I'd be willing to settle for convincing and uninteresting just this once. Doesn't mean I won't try to make them interesting though.

That being said, I can't wait for bloody winter break to get here so that I can sit and read through these perspective books and get a lot of practice in so that I never have to go through this sort of thing again.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I imagine seeing the whole block of pages together would clarify the storytelling, as there's a few problems in understanding what's going on, for the most part I get it though. You use some odd or detrimental elements that really detract from the great panels you use. I'm just gonna go through panel by panel for you I suppose.

1.1 I can't tell what Hyde is smashing through. Down through a skylight? Through a wall in a mall? You could afford to be much more dynamic for such an active shot. Theres movement but its undirected. Also some perspective like looking up at him if hes dropping down or a fist out if hes moving forward.

1.2 Probably your strongest panel, anatomy is pretty good, those troops seem unaturally close and just tacked on and too simple. Great pose and expression, very Bachaloesque.

1.3 Cross eyed mall security dudes- awesome. They could use some love anatony wise, the poses and angle is good enough.

1.4 Oh teh noes. They've been shot, we can assume by the masked hoods but its kinda unclear, with no background to unify where everyone is standing dig me? Good poses.

1.5 I'm not a fan of this transition with explodey bubbles for panel edges showing MJ's (?) surprise and horror. A floating head connecting to the image of dead bodies too similar to the range and compostiong of the panel above it. You could afford to be more dynamic here, show the horror of the bodies and not make it so abstract.

2.1 A nice imposing Hyde, I know you're working on your perspective- pretty good here, but the anatomy is busted. Take some pics of your own hands. The menace could be bigger, shadowing, making the goons seem less like comic relief.

2.2 Pretty nice expressions on Hydes ranting and teh focus shifting to the goons to set them up.

2.3 The goons are surprised by something. Maybe they've crapped themselves but its hard to tell, theres no impact of webbing on them but I can tell whats going on here, so its one of your better panels.

2.4 Hyde has noticed his boys are missing. Nice opportunity to show his twisted face.

2.5 Antigravity boots on confused goons. Possibly they are being yanked backwards and into each other or Spideys hands. Not enough perspective, movement or impact though.

2.6 Details on background show up for teh first time so we have an actually setting. Spidey has dragged them to his feet and webbed them up tight ready to engage Hyde presumably.

I like your stuff, you have sort of a consistent style forming but still have a ways to go on anatomy, perspective, design and some of the bigger elements of comic making. All you can do is keep going really. I'm eager to see this project seen through to completion because I am a huge fanboy myself, so I apologise if I come off a bit rough on you Buck.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Antibodies, I don't even have the time to responde to your marvelous crit, so you'll just have to settle for this instead...

Heart.gif Antibodies.

I'm still finishing up my comic pages, which is becoming more and more exhausting. But next week I have to turn in a sketch for a pin-up idea. I've decided to do the Sinister Six. So here now are some doodles that I did while in my Critical Theory class instead of paying attention.

DocOck.jpg

Hyderealistic.jpg

Shocker.jpg

Sandman.jpg

DoodleExplosion.jpg

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Just trying to get a feel for how each of the Sinister Six will look (individualy).

MysterioandShocker.jpg

Hobgoblin.jpg

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shut up man and let me tell you that I love you and your work.

Mayday on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    These new guys look tons better, but they still look a bit too short and stocky for "super" status IMHO.

But they work, whereas the comic looked like kids playing dressup. ;)

Virum on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wow, Green Goblin looks awesome!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Kuro HouKuro Hou Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You know I gotta say, over all, these comics look pretty good, but the one problem I can't wrap my head around is the fact that most of your designs look like slightly chubby children dressed up as spiderman characters. not as bad as the Spider-man and Friends line, but kind of the 12 years old area. They look a little on the short and dumpy side. If you were to stretch them out vertically just a bit, you would really pull it off.

Kuro Hou on
    "For a man who looks like a garden gnome, you sure have a lot of demands."

I dare you to make less sense.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Kuro Hou wrote:
    ...not as bad as the Spider-man and Friends line...

What are you talking about? Spider-Man and Friends rocks!! I mean, c'mon just look at this Thing!

70253Pkg.jpg

RAWR! IT'S CUDDLIN' TIME!

But in all seriousness, due to the overwhelming about of people pointing out who squat and childlike my figures are I'm left with no other choice then to reevaluate my designs. I'll see what I can come up with tonight.

Out of curiosity, though, who would you say is the worst offender in the squat, midget department??

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    These designs are sextactular. The problem is that the average person is 6.5 heads tall, and a lot of superheros are up to 8 heads, whereas your characters are about 5. It works perfectly for Doc Oct, tho, since he's not a very physically strong character.

When, I saw buckwolfe's head stuck in with the baddies I laughed. His cuteness stands out too much

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I can't help it ^^' Your Mr.Hyde reminds me of Leprechaun
    leprechaun.jpg

Really love those latest villains, especially Mysterio.

Stop whining, continue working. You're the only thing in your way to success, so start beating your weak attitude ^^!

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    As Catnip pointed out, most comic heroes are idealized greek gods and statues, very tall and muscular to the breaking point. In How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way it mentions the 10 heads tall for men because they should be massive and imposing, not shrimpy or squat. We tend to put aspects of ourselves into our art as those are the bodies we see the msot, in the mirror being agoraphobic artist types.

Green Goblin looks awesome because you stretched him out a bit over the glider. You should give him some flexion in the knees though, no way he would want to be doing the splits over that pointy fin. He's had problems with that glider kicking his ass before, no need for it to castrate him as well.

Shocker is looking really chubby, like marshmellow fluff wrapped in fishnet stockings, he's a thug in a fancy suit. I love your Mysterio though, a bit taller and he's got the perfect aire to him, nice work on the cape really.

Antibodies on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    A rough sketch for my Sinister Six pin-up. The right side is slightly cropped due to my scanner/extreme laziness of not scanning it in two sections and lacing the two together in PS. The actual boarders aren't quite defined...or at all really. But I just wanted to block everything in.

SinisterSixPin-upSketch.jpg

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oh, very nice layout Buck ~ <3

Good perspective, generally interesting. The only thing that bugs me is the space underneath the Goblin - it seems kind of out of place.

I wouldn't change much though, very nice :D

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    This pin-up is taking longer than expected, but I think its coming along moderately well thus far. Its been such a long, long time since I've seriously inked anything, so I haven't quite gotten into my "groove" yet. At least I'm making progress though.

WelcometotheDARKSEID.jpg

Stupid ol' Photobucket decided to resize it for me.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Looks really good so far mate. Love the inking in the black area on the right!

Lly on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    This is MARVELous indeed. Are you going to colour it too? Can't wait! smile.gif

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Actually, DeliCious would be more accurate, and sound tastier. If I get the time I would like to color it.

Thanks you twoSurprised.gif

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mayday wrote:
    This is MARVELous indeed.

Hahah, you so clazy!

EDIT:

Damn, Buckwolf! Damn!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Whatev, you nerds! lol.gif

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    For once your short and blocky way of drawing peoples works out in your favor. Darky looks pretty sinister there, hard to tell if you've decided to obscure the left foot on purpose or cuz you couldn't do it right- have to see the inks finished to tell. The real glory here is in the overall composition, really nice skewed angle, nicely spotted and weighted blacks and elements moving around the page. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Antibodies on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Actually the left foot came out surprisingly well. I covered it with the smoke because I wanted the mass of smoke to go in front of, in between, and in back of Darkseid. I get where you're coming from though.

More progress...

WelcometotheDARKSEID2.jpg

Thanks for all the comments folks. Keep 'em coming.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    FINISHEDish!!!

WelcometotheDARKSEIDfinal.jpg

Just needs a few minor touches here and there.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    Kuro HouKuro Hou Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That's really cool. You know I almost completely missed the line of slaves being led to their dooms, and was going to ask if sonny boy was just whipping air. Is the real Darksied in the foreground and the ones in back statues? Very cool. Also, what is that rather thick cable on the left for?

Kuro Hou on
    "For a man who looks like a garden gnome, you sure have a lot of demands."

I dare you to make less sense.