As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Matter] Heavy weapons, katanas and androids IN SPACE

Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
edited June 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
MV5BMTYzODc0NjAyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTY3OTg4NTE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTHOdjil-R4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7d3x1JRvuw

Syfy's latest science fiction show, created by Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie. In the pilot a group of strangers wake up mid-flight on a spaceship in the distance future with no memory of who they are and struggle to find out what's happened and who they were. Paranoia grips the crew as they investigate who they can trust and if one of their own is faking the whole time. Then a homicidal android is woken up...

THE CREW

img_6985.jpg?w=169&h=300

One
AKA Jace Corso
(Marc Bendavid)

The first person to wake up, a docile individual who has no special skills, and is peaceful. Wants everyone to do the right thing, no matter what the cost is because he's a good man trapped on a space ship with a group of psychos.
Crimes: Murder, Assault, Kidnapping, Trafficking, Theft

182.jpg?w=500

Two
AKA Portia Lin
(Melissa O'Neill)

Charismatic, an expert in multiple forms of combat, beautiful and whose able to learn how the ship works first. She quickly becomes the leader of the group by default. Has no time for nonsense, and tries to do her best by the crew.
Crimes: Murder, Assault, Arson, Theft, Piracy

MV5BMjAzOTcwMjM5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzU1Mzk2OQ@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Three
Marcus Boone
(Anthony Lemke)

The team asshole. Looks out for himself first, second and last. Gruff, antagonizing, and always carrying a big gun. The show's Jayne, I guess.
Crimes: Murder, Assault, Kidnapping, Piracy

184.jpg?w=500

Four
AKA Ryo Tetsuda, aka Ryo Ishida
(Alex Mallari Jr)

Stoic, calm and cool demeanor and master swordsman. In Space!
Crimes: Murder, Assault, Piracy

latest?cb=20150521041519

Five
AKA Das
(Jodelle Ferland)

If Three is Jayne, she's the show's River. The youngest on board, she's got a knack for mechanics, has other people's memories and a kid with secrets.

latest?cb=20150521041358

Six
Griffin Jones
(Roger Cross)

A man of integrity with no patience for bullshit. A simple guy, with great intelligence who knows how to defend himself.
Crimes: Murder, Assault, Smuggling

20150603_042933_CCT-TVTONIGHT-0612-01_300.JPG

The android (Zoie Palmer)

An unnamed android who controls the ship with her mind and acts as their robo-butler.

The twist
The group are a band of infamous space pirates and wanted criminals called "the Razar", who are the secret, and feared, clean up crew for the galaxy's mega-corporations who use them to illegally kill any people who get in their way of valuable resources. No one knows what they look like or who they are. No one who sees them survives to tell the details. And now the crew has no idea what to do next with that information.

Harry Dresden on

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Think we'll get more than one season?

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

I hope so, it had a damn good pilot.

Harry Dresden on
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    watched the first episode of this tonight and was pretty impressed. not a great deal happened, but it set up the world well enough to get me interested. am looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

on any other network? no. on Syfy it should be good for a couple of seasons at least. Defiance is still going so this certainly has a shot.

Wraith260 on
  • Baron Of HellBaron Of Hell Registered User regular
    Most of the acting was horrible. The actress playing the android is one of worse actresses I have seen. Really didn't like her performance on Lost Girl. However, I still liked the story and the twist at the end.

Right now the show is to generic and takes ideas from a number of different shows. The android might as well be called 7 of 7. The one guy with the big gun might as well be Jane 2.0. They are so heavy handy on it I'm sure it was done on purpose.

I'll probably stick around even if the show is total crap. I think it has potential though. This wouldn't be the first show that had a bad start for me and ended up being pretty good.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I enjoyed the pilot. At the very least, it's something to watch while I wait for Arrow/Flash's next season to start up.
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    watched the first episode of this tonight and was pretty impressed. not a great deal happened, but it set up the world well enough to get me interested. am looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

on any other network? no. on Syfy it should be good for a couple of seasons at least. Defiance is still going so this certainly has a shot.

Not to mention Lost Girl had four seasons, which was 3 1/2 seasons longer than it would have ever gotten pretty much anywhere else on TV.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed this. It's got some undeniable similarity to Firefly, but with a little less style/more generic Sci-Fi. I haven't liked much that this network has offered since they went all SYFY on us and started airing goddamn wrasslin' shows, but I've got high hopes for this, Killjoys, and The Expanse. So far so good. I'm on board.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I don't really get why this needed a dumb amnesia plot tacked on.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I don't really get why this needed a dumb amnesia plot tacked on.

amnesia owns

when i have an upset stomach i drink milk of amnesia and it fixes it every time i just forget i was feeling like shit

obF2Wuw.png
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The amnesia plot is the driving force behind the show; without amnesia, the characters...

Not sure what spoiler policy is. First episode:
    would probably just continue their corporate-sponsored mayhem (it also gives the characters a chance to play audience surrogate and explore the universe with fresh eyes).

Now, a good writer could have probably done the same setup without amnesia. But probably not without doing something else that's overdone.

I was pretty neutral on the first episode. I'm curious enough to see where it goes, but most likely I will miss an episode at some point and not go back.

Episode 2 was a step up from the pilot, expanded the world building a tad while building on events from the premiere. The main charcters are coming together as unique individuals. One they're going overboard with the nice guy stuff. He's a bit too responsible minded and going into dumb ass territory with his naivety. I started to dislike him for it. While the others had the best intentions, like Two, Five and Six they knew they needed to be pragmatic and will get better results with compromises and choosing when not to fight. Two continues to be my favorite character on the show, Five is growing on me. I'm liking this pseudo-River.
    The writing is good, yet it's clear they're going with a predictable plot line with the amnesia or they're doing a great job with a red herring by making Das look like she's responsible for what happened. This episode may as well have put a sign on her forehead saying "I did it." Not that it's bad, I like where it's going.
    I love how Five is learning her place on the crew, and Two is keeping an eye on her because she's the most vulnerable member on the ship. It was funny how Three thought Five had the edge over One in being dangerous, and I can't disagree. Three's a joy to watch, though he had shitty names for his guns.

Six is quickly becoming an awesome character on the show, and he's showing he might be the second on command subtly. It's another amazing performance by Roger Cross.
    I enjoyed how Two resolved the situation by allying with a rival mega-corporation to save the colony. That was smart thinking and solved the crisis without much shooting in space.
    The space mega-corporations are handled so much better here than in Killjoys, which feels like the setting is an after thought. There's so many places this show can go, and I'm stick around to see what happens. Good job, Syfy.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    I enjoyed the pilot. At the very least, it's something to watch while I wait for Arrow/Flash's next season to start up.

Not to mention Lost Girl had four seasons, which was 3 1/2 seasons longer than it would have ever gotten pretty much anywhere else on TV.

Lost Girl is Canadian actually. Its made by the Canadian channel Showcase and is a part of their "Has to have a certain percentage of Canadian produced material" block. Showcase is also behind Continuum and Haven. That's why it has lasted so long. That and hot lesbian make out sessions(and Ksenia Solo as Kenzi).

Dark Matter is wholly SyFy.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    edited June 2015
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Lost Girl is Canadian actually. Its made by the Canadian channel Showcase and is a part of their "Has to have a certain percentage of Canadian produced material" block. Showcase is also behind Continuum and Haven. That's why it has lasted so long. That and hot lesbian make out sessions(and Ksenia Solo as Kenzi).

Hmm, the more you know.

As for this episode, I think my favorite moments/thoughts, by the numbers (har har)

One: Okay, he's kinda the weak link so far, but I'm feeling like it's going to be a buildup to when we finally see what he's suppose to be good at. Looked like he was a decent fighter though.
    Two: Also enjoyed how she ended up solving the crisis.
    Three: Got a laugh out of the whole naming your weapons bit with One: "what about the knife in your left boot?" "What? You don't name your knives. You think I'm pycho?"
    Four: Liked his interrogation method for that corp soldier.
    Five: I don't think
    She's the one really responsible for the memory wipes. I think more likely she's "special" and picking up on the lost memories of the other crewmates and/or the real saboteur
    Six: Guy who plays him is nailing it. Him and Four are my guess at who was second in command before they lost their memories (With Two obviously being the one who was captain.)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2015
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Hmm, the more you know.

As for this episode, I think my favorite moments/thoughts, by the numbers (har har)

One: Okay, he's kinda the weak link so far, but I'm feeling like it's going to be a buildup to when we finally see what he's suppose to be good at. Looked like he was a decent fighter though.
    Two: Also enjoyed how she ended up solving the crisis.
    Three: Got a laugh out of the whole naming your weapons bit with One: "what about the knife in your left boot?" "What? You don't name your knives. You think I'm pycho?"
    Four: Liked his interrogation method for that corp soldier.
    Five: I don't think
    She's the one really responsible for the memory wipes. I think more likely she's "special" and picking up on the lost memories of the other crewmates and/or the real saboteur
    Six: Guy who plays him is nailing it. Him and Four are my guess at who was second in command before they lost their memories (With Two obviously being the one who was captain.)
    Oh yeah. Das definitely might be holding the crew's missing memories in her noggin. No wonder she's a space case.
    edit: The android is adorable. One of my favorites, she needs a name badly. She's excellent comedy relief. I love how she's the show's Data.

Harry Dresden on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    After watching two episodes, I am tentatively on board with this show.

It feels like its basically Firefly with a crew full of Jason Bournes?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    After watching two episodes, I am tentatively on board with this show.

It feels like its basically Firefly with a crew full of Jason Bournes?
    With just a dash of A-team thrown in the mix, I think. I'm on board.

Firefly was basically the A-Team in space

kind of

• abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm hooked enough after the first two episodes to keep with it for a while.

On a related note, does anyone know if season 2 of Defiance is streaming anywhere? I missed the last half while it was airing because we moved somewhere without cable, and I missed my chance to watch it on Syfy's website since they pulled it when the new season started. Which is super frustrating, by the way.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
    I think Season 2 of Defiance is on Amazon Prime

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Discount Ryan Gosling
    Ersatz Seven of Data
    Gamora Lite
    Summer Faux/Pseudo River
    Asian Guy
    Black Guy

Miner-Waifu

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Great music though

Predict that discount Ryan Gosling will have been an absolute psychopath prior to the wipe, the worst of them all.

• 007ctrl_room007ctrl_room Registered User regular

i have been impressed so far as well, although my expectations were super low. we'll see if it continues lol

LFGdating | In twenty years I'll still be playing Red Alert ... and Goldeneye.

i have been impressed so far as well, although my expectations were super low. we'll see if it continues lol

Going by previous works we should be in good hands with the showrunner. It's only going to get better from here.

edited June 2015
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Predict that discount Ryan Gosling will have been an absolute psychopath prior to the wipe, the worst of them all.

I like to think he was the con artist/Face of the band. The sort of empathy he has shown would also work in favor of someone who wants to figure out what people want and convincing them that his scheme is the best way to get that... until he screws them over.

...but yeah, he was probably a crazy axe murderer that ate live babies or something in his previous life.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Dumb Jayne is less cool than original Jayne.

edited June 2015
    Dumb Jayne is less cool than original Jayne.

He needs to find his unique niche before he'll compare to the original.
    Das
    has been a superb River knock-off, the influence is there while retaining an original personality that doesn't overlap to much with who she's based on. She isn't better then River either, but she's impressing me so far. Does that make
    Portia
    Mal?

Harry Dresden on
    And six would be Black Wash

edited June 2015

Nah, he's too action orientated for Wash. One fits him. :)

Harry Dresden on

But he's their pilot!

But he's their pilot!

Hmm. That is true.

Wash's defining character feature was constantly being a bundle of nerves except when he was doing what he did best. Six doesn't have that problem.

One might be like that, but we haven't really seen One's talents come up, so we don't yet how he will act when he's faced with a crisis that he knows that he can solve.

steam_sig.png
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So we're 3 episodes in and I'm kind of wondering why 3 is a character they felt the need to include; he just seems to be generic asshole team member. Liking most of the other characters, though one is just a little bit too goody 2 shoes for my taste.

Hope they can balance this out a bit more.

Gaddez wrote: »
    So we're 3 episodes in and I'm kind of wondering why 3 is a character they felt the need to include; he just seems to be generic asshole team member. Liking most of the other characters, though one is just a little bit too goody 2 shoes for my taste.

Hope they can balance this out a bit more.

Comedy relief, another soldier for action scenes, and the source for inter-group conflict.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm really glad this started at the same time Killjoys did; it means I can drop that terrible show and not feel like I'm missing out on sci fi.

I'm still having trouble with the names around the middle of the group. One and Two are easy, as is Six as the only actor I recognized. I have trouble with names in general, though, and this naming convention doesn't help. I should get it eventually.

What were we supposed to understand from the Coda of episode three?

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    That there's someone else out there who may be the actual One, or is perhaps impersonating his former life.

edited June 2015
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'm still having trouble with the names around the middle of the group. One and Two are easy, as is Six as the only actor I recognized. I have trouble with names in general, though, and this naming convention doesn't help. I should get it eventually.

It'll be less confusing once, or if, they start adopting their real names, who are pretty cool and very Stargatey.
    Portia Lin especially.

Harry Dresden on
    That there's someone else out there who may be the actual One, or is perhaps impersonating his former life.
    cool. I wasn't sure whether we were to understand that they had reached their destination and One was doing something mysterious and possibly nefarious or whether there was another One.

I wonder whether that Jace is actually Hrothgar?

edited July 2015
    cool. I wasn't sure whether we were to understand that they had reached their destination and One was doing something mysterious and possibly nefarious or whether there was another One.

After today's episode
    Real strong evidence that One is Hrothgar, or one of his people.

I also loved how they focused on that jump clone commercial like we were going to find out later "Yep, either One or 'Jace Corso' is a clone" only for Jace to shoot it down by saying there's no way a clone could last long enough for everything to work out the way it has... though the memory download thing might explain why Five seems to have flashes of everyone's memories.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png

After today's episode
    Real strong evidence that One is Hrothgar, or one of his people.

I also loved how they focused on that jump clone commercial like we were going to find out later "Yep, either One or 'Jace Corso' is a clone" only for Jace to shoot it down by saying there's no way a clone could last long enough for everything to work out the way it has... though the memory download thing might explain why Five seems to have flashes of everyone's memories.
    There is a way for One to be a clone and live that long. The commercial said it disposes of the clones biomass, which I took to mean they needed the clone to come to them before they could download and transfer their memories to the client and get rid of the body themselves. If that's true all he needed was for the clone not to back to the company or he was made by a third party with cloning technology.

My new theory is that every member on the crew, aside from the android and Five/Das, are clones. Made and working for whoever created them to be the cleanup crew for the corporations. In effect they've stolen the meanest criminals personalities and bodies via downloading and cloning without having to hire the real thing. With the real people they're clones of none the wiser (except for One's original) they get their services without leaving evidence connecting them to these people so no one suspects who the Raza crew are since the originals are actively in the galaxy giving them alibis.