As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Great Big E3 Thread of Announcements, Leaks, Hype, and Doom!

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    jeff is great.

the sony conference had nothing coming out this calendar year, and only one game with a date. that date was an entire year window as well on a game that has been in development hell for almost a decade.

given these are the same people who get visibility frustrated when people freak out and scream while at press conferences as it's an industry event, short of something actually groundbreaking happening you're not going to get that much of a rise out of them.

If Last Guardian, FFVII Remake and Shenmue III all being announced within minutes of each other doesn't count as "groundbreaking" then I don't know what to tell you.

It isn't.

Last Guardian looks exactly the same and begs the question what have they been doing, and doesn't have a release date

FF7 remake is a remake of a 20 year old game and all they showed was a 30 second CGI teaser (and probably isn't coming out)

And Shenmue was a kickstarter launch (albeit a successful one)

I don't think you're allowed to say that anymore.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    jeff is great.

the sony conference had nothing coming out this calendar year, and only one game with a date. that date was an entire year window as well on a game that has been in development hell for almost a decade.

given these are the same people who get visibility frustrated when people freak out and scream while at press conferences as it's an industry event, short of something actually groundbreaking happening you're not going to get that much of a rise out of them.

If Last Guardian, FFVII Remake and Shenmue III all being announced within minutes of each other doesn't count as "groundbreaking" then I don't know what to tell you.

It isn't.

Last Guardian looks exactly the same and begs the question what have they been doing, and doesn't have a release date

I don't understand this. We saw the game once (and to be honest when I saw it I couldn't believe that this was going to be on the PS3 because of how it looked). It didn't look bad. The little guy had the same "awkward" movements that ICO and whatever the guys name in SotC had when climbing. . .just spiffier looking. What were they working on all these years? Probably OTHER things that could actually work on the hardware they had at the time.
    FF7 remake is a remake of a 20 year old game and all they showed was a 30 second CGI teaser (and probably isn't coming out)

Why believe anything is coming out then? What a cynical approach really. I can't imagine SONY giving time up for one property to go into dev. hell after pulling one out. Possible. Sure. Probable. Unlikely.

Don't care about the original Forklift Simulator so you can have that one. . .

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Are you all still popping boners for David Anfossi in here?

arton46942.jpg

super hot

Oh, are we talking SUPERHOT in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tiEXonI_mc

SUPER
    HOT

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Brutal J wrote: »
    Nintendo's showing was pretty disappointing, MS finally left the doghouse this year, and managed to not have the worst conference of the big 3.

That Metroid game is going to bomb, hard. After Other M, the franchise needs to be rebuilt; it's in no condition to create spin-offs with it's name shackled onto it as if it were Mario.

I was so damn disappointed with Nintendo's Direct. The only interesting new thing they showed was the Mario & Luigi Paper Mario crossover, and the new Star Fox. A 4-player co-op Metroid game is so far removed from what a Metroid game is what people want, I have to think they're just deliberately trolling.

What do people want in a Metroid game? Other than Not Other M?

I think people really liked the Prime games and want more in that style.

2D would be fine, too.

Hell, I would have been okay with a better looking, more refined version of what we got. A Metroid version of Halo:ODST, in a way.

Problem is, what we have looks like complete fucking shit. I swear Metroid Prime Hunters back on the DS looked a ton better.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    jeff is great.

It isn't.

I don't think you're allowed to say that anymore.

If they give a release date, sure, but given that we were told "winter for more info," there is absolutely no indication that the game is actually coming out right now and isn't just a trailer to generate hype.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I mean if you want me to make a blood pact that wagers my soul if FFVII Remake will actually get released I'll go right ahead...

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I mean if you want me to make a blood pact that wagers my soul if FFVII Remake will actually get released I'll go right ahead...

That escalated quickly.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Stealth update to Wii U Hyrule Warriors adds classic 80s Link, just now.

ZYjA0xz.jpg

Where's the cross on that shield?

Shield is part of the weapon. There is an 8-bit version of the sword with a round wooden shield with the cross on it.

Athenor wrote: »
    Brutal J wrote: »
    Nintendo's showing was pretty disappointing, MS finally left the doghouse this year, and managed to not have the worst conference of the big 3.

That Metroid game is going to bomb, hard. After Other M, the franchise needs to be rebuilt; it's in no condition to create spin-offs with it's name shackled onto it as if it were Mario.

I was so damn disappointed with Nintendo's Direct. The only interesting new thing they showed was the Mario & Luigi Paper Mario crossover, and the new Star Fox. A 4-player co-op Metroid game is so far removed from what a Metroid game is what people want, I have to think they're just deliberately trolling.

What do people want in a Metroid game? Other than Not Other M?

I think people really liked the Prime games and want more in that style.

Hunters was in the Prime style and I really enjoyed it.. and it looks like this is in the Prime style as well. We have very little info to go on beyond it having a 6 player multiplayer mode. I'm just thinking we need to wait and see on this one.

As for people bringing up 2D scrollers: Those aren't system sellers anymore. I would kill to have another one, just like others would.. that's part of why I dropped $100 on Bloodstained. But the closest we'll get is a 2.5D style game in the vein of Link Between Worlds.. and that's only if Nintendo thinks it will make money.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

i will! i've always wanted someone's soul! <3

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

ZYjA0xz.jpg

I am so bitterly disappointed that they didn't confirm a Wii U version of Legends (that includes all the DLC plus new characters).

Has it been confirmed/debunked yet if the new 3DS characters will be available on Wii U?
    I'd really rather play that game on a console.

Yep, they will.

But you have to transfer them from the 3DS version, yes?

Hm, looking through all the press material again, they actually don't mention how it'll work.

Still, I'd be very surprised if you couldn't simply buy them as DLC in the Wii U version.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Really, the fundamental style of the game-that's-banned-in-the-metroid-thread is a good idea: you've got fast, athletic Samus who plays a lot like she did in the 2D games, set in a 3D world. Some ninja-gaideny action moves were helpful. The only thing that sucked was the lack of pickups and the fact that combat depth didn't go far enough (making the game rely entirely on dodges).

The path forward for Metroid is clear. Not everything about [Redacted] should be thrown out just because large chunks of the game were rotten.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

If they give a release date, sure, but given that we were told "winter for more info," there is absolutely no indication that the game is actually coming out right now and isn't just a trailer to generate hype.

Err. What else is it meant to be? This is SE not another SONY studio. Their entire conference was "in development". However SONY isn't going to turn that announcement on their stage away.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I've missed most of the going ons today, only catching the SE/Nintendo stuff just recently.

But fucking hell.

Whatever group/groups (*cough*reddit4chan*cough*) decided to be fucking babies and dislike bomb every Nintendo E3 video can go fuck themselves.

What a bunch of twats.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I'm not allowed to think things are cool unless they release in less that six months. Okay.

Said literally nobody.

Man, not directly no, but the feeling is there when there's a lot of ultra dismissive talk about Sony's conference specifically to counter the hype. 'A game that should've been out four years ago', 'a remake of a twenty year old game', etc.

Like the thread didn't go 'oh whoopie-doo, more Halo and Gears yawwwwwn' after Microsoft's conference or at any point since, since those are definitely reasons to be excited for a lot of people too.

Well Gears and Halo are definitely coming out.

This remains to be seen with Last Guardian, Shenmue, and FFVII.

Personally I just resent that it feels like Sony trades heavily on nostalgia and what they know will stick it to Microsoft without ever bothering to fully deliver.

It sure seems like you're trying to pick holes in the Sony lineup, while whooping and hollering for Microsoft's. In reality, it can be done for every conference. The Coalition has been around for over 5 years, the only game they've released was the horrible Microsoft Flight and Gears 4 didn't look good at all. Halo 4, from the studio that brought you Halo 4 and MCC. Hololens is all smoke and mirrors, just like Kinect. And so on.

Ultimately though, it just comes across as sour grapes because you're deliberately trying to downplay something other people are excited about. It's dumb and is a great way of getting this thread closed.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    jeff is great.

It is the hyperbole such as in your above statement that people are responding poorly to, I think.

Groundbreaking is basically a synonym for "innovative" or "pioneering", only much much more so. You realise why that doesn't apply to the three things above, right (Maybe TLG will surprise us, who knows)?

Hololens is groundbreaking, a brand new technology with as yet unknown applications. Whether or not you like it or want one is irrelevant to whether or not it is breaking new ground in the consumer space - it is. Two trilogy closers and a remake are pretty much the opposite of groundbreaking - they're nostalgic.

I suppose asking consumers to fund your game at an industry event hosted by a publisher so that a pesky publisher doesn't have to is kinda innovative. It's certainly not something I'd have the balls to do.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Look, at the end of the day Ubisoft delivered us a game called "The Fractured but Whole."

So screw you guys, I'm going home.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    So, nothing from R* at all, huh? That's disappointing. The last few years they've seemed to have something new once the previous blockbuster had been out for a couple years. I know that GTA V on the current gen is new-ish, but it's been available on the older platforms for a while now. But, if it makes horses have better horse physics upon which to get their horse on, I can handle the wait.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I'm not allowed to think things are cool unless they release in less that six months. Okay.

Said literally nobody.

Man, not directly no, but the feeling is there when there's a lot of ultra dismissive talk about Sony's conference specifically to counter the hype. 'A game that should've been out four years ago', 'a remake of a twenty year old game', etc.

Like the thread didn't go 'oh whoopie-doo, more Halo and Gears yawwwwwn' after Microsoft's conference or at any point since, since those are definitely reasons to be excited for a lot of people too.

Personally I just resent that it feels like Sony trades heavily on nostalgia and what they know will stick it to Microsoft without ever bothering to fully deliver.

It sure seems like you're trying to pick holes in the Sony lineup, while whooping and hollering for Microsoft's. In reality, it can be done for every conference. The Coalition has been around for over 5 years, the only game they've released was the horrible Microsoft Flight and Gears 4 didn't look good at all. Halo 4, from the studio that brought you Halo 4 and MCC. Hololens is all smoke and mirrors, just like Kinect. And so on.

Ultimately though, it just comes across as sour grapes because you're deliberately trying to downplay something other people are excited about. It's dumb and is a great way of getting this thread closed.

Actually, I'd say with TLG, being sceptical is warranted. That game looks the same as it did the last time we saw it. And that was 2009(?).

Whose to say we won't be seeing a slightly different trailer for that on the PS5?

Now FFVII, really exciting timed exclusive. Good get.

Shenmue, awesome.

No I don't.
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Really, the fundamental style of the game-that's-banned-in-the-metroid-thread is a good idea: you've got fast, athletic Samus who plays a lot like she did in the 2D games, set in a 3D world. Some ninja-gaideny action moves were helpful. The only thing that sucked was the lack of pickups and the fact that combat depth didn't go far enough (making the game rely entirely on dodges).

The path forward for Metroid is clear. Not everything about [Redacted] should be thrown out just because large chunks of the game were rotten.
    Well I think it was more that they replaced Samus' character with a bunch of weird overtly paternal sexist bullshit that ruined everything. Maybe this is all we'll get from Metroid for a few more years while Nintendo just waits for that game to fade further into obscurity, or something. I dunno, the new game just perplexes me.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    jeff is great.

It is the hyperbole such as in your above statement that people are responding poorly to, I think.

Groundbreaking is basically a synonym for "innovative" or "pioneering", only much much more so. You realise why that doesn't apply to the three things above, right (Maybe TLG will surprise us, who knows)?

Hololens is groundbreaking, a brand new technology with as yet unknown applications. Whether or not you like it or want one is irrelevant to whether or not it is breaking new ground in the consumer space - it is. Two trilogy closers and a remake are pretty much the opposite of groundbreaking - they're nostalgic.

I suppose asking consumers to fund your game at an industry event hosted by a publisher so that a pesky publisher doesn't have to is kinda innovative. It's certainly not something I'd have the balls to do.

Holy shit this is so tiring. If Half Life 3 were announced you'd be finding reasons to take the piss out of that too.

Butcher on
  • Options

Said literally nobody.

Sure. People like some things, and dislike some other things. This wasn't a problem until people in this thread started to get really angry that some of us don't like the things that they're excited about (it also is a little annoying that Microsoft hype was mostly "wow a cool thing!" and a lot of Sony hype was "wow a cool thing, this is so much better than Microsoft!").

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, the last guardian is such a weird thing. I have to wonder how much of the hype is for what people saw of the game, how much is from the pedigree, and how much is because the game vanished for six years only to shock everyone by actually still existing.

Like, how big of a reaction would there have been if that trailer was at the 2010 or 2011 press conference instead? I feel like it got promoted from "anticipated" to "mythic" sometime during those six years.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Well I think it was more that they replaced Samus' character with a bunch of weird overtly paternal sexist bullshit that ruined everything. Maybe this is all we'll get from Metroid for a few more years while Nintendo just waits for that game to fade further into obscurity, or something. I dunno, the new game just perplexes me.

It was more than that. The clear sexism and blatant Adam Marty Stuzation were obviously the worst parts, and yes the plot was a Clevinger-level lesson in anticlimaxes (who hypes up a boss for the last two hours of a game only to have the NPCs kill it, for real?), but the gameplay also suffered from a lot of problems. The game was linear as hell, the pixelhunting sections were dumb, the dependence on slow and repetitive "finisher moves" to kill anything bigger than a shriekbat got old half an hour in.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Man, the last guardian is such a weird thing. I have to wonder how much of the hype is for what people saw of the game, how much is from the pedigree, and how much is because the game vanished for six years only to shock everyone by actually still existing.

Like, how big of a reaction would there have been if that trailer was at the 2010 or 2011 press conference instead? I feel like it got promoted from "anticipated" to "mythic" sometime during those six years.

The gameplay they showed was just so weird. Kid and animal friend destroyed some crumbling pillars for no reason. I was mostly confused.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Butcher wrote: »
    jeff is great.

Holy shit this is so tiring. If Half Life 3 were announced you'd be finding reasons to take the piss out of that too.

I didn't say anywhere that I don't want to play those games, or that I'm not excited - I am! For about the fifth time, I'm responding to people who are acting legitimately hurt when others don't feel the same way. It's childish.

Anyway, I'm catching up on the Squeenix presser now. Just Cause 3 looks mental. I actually giggled a bit when they showed that grappling thing tying three helicopters together.

• Options

I think it's sort of like when Duke Nukem got released, like finding out there are still dinosaurs alive or something.

('m still pretty cynical about TLG actually coming out)

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

ZYjA0xz.jpg

I am so bitterly disappointed that they didn't confirm a Wii U version of Legends (that includes all the DLC plus new characters).

Has it been confirmed/debunked yet if the new 3DS characters will be available on Wii U?
    I'd really rather play that game on a console.

Yep, they will.

But you have to transfer them from the 3DS version, yes?

Hm, looking through all the press material again, they actually don't mention how it'll work.

Still, I'd be very surprised if you couldn't simply buy them as DLC in the Wii U version.

The pop up I just saw in Hyrule Warriors WiiU said that you have to transfer them from the 3DS version. I don't think there's going to be DLC.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    jeff is great.

Depends on if there's hats and paid mods. :wink:

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular

Said literally nobody.

Sure. People like some things, and dislike some other things. This wasn't a problem until people in this thread started to get really angry that some of us don't like the things that they're excited about (it also is a little annoying that Microsoft hype was mostly "wow a cool thing!" and a lot of Sony hype was "wow a cool thing, this is so much better than Microsoft!").

That's kind of the price of going first.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    jeff is great.

I didn't say anywhere that I don't want to play those games, or that I'm not excited - I am! For about the fifth time, I'm responding to people who are acting legitimately hurt when others don't feel the same way. It's childish.

Anyway, I'm catching up on the Squeenix presser now. Just Cause 3 looks mental. I actually giggled a bit when they showed that grappling thing tying three helicopters together.

Just Cause 3 is someone watched 45 seconds of the multiplayer mod and said "YEP".

Dude getting tethered to the exploding fuel can was my favorite bit.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

Said literally nobody.

It's fine to not like something, but going out of your way to try and downplay the excitement of others and telling them they shouldn't be excited because X, Y, Z is kind of silly.

It's a trend that seems to be growing more and more these days. You see a lot of "I don't understand the hype" type posts. Personally when I don't like something or i'm not impressed I don't really post about it, I let the people who are excited be excited, instead of trying to convince them they shouldn't be.

It's fine to jump in and say it isn't for you, or that you aren't excited for a thing but let the people who are, enjoy it.

Using "you" in the royal sense here, not you specifically.

As for the Microsoft vs Sony thing, the only reason you didn't see "This is so much cooler than the Sony conference" was because Microsoft went first. You would have seen the exact same thing if the roles were reversed, it's just what people do, as irritating as it is.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Please stop with the negative talk, what is going on here. People are excited for stuff that's what E3 is about, hype hype hype. Why are you trying to kill that. Just let people be excited.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Ok I'll bite. I've never heard of Nier. Will this sequel be good?

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Is there a good site with a complete rundown of everything that's coming out of E3? I feel like things are slipping by me.

• Options
    Watching this Skylanders/Amiibo thing...

...kinda want it lol.

• Options
    On a serious note, let's all chill out before the mods come and lock this overstuff thread. :)

Some of the attitudes in here have been a bit snarky, but this is the forum of a comic that is 100% snark, so that's not surprising to find a lot of us are in to that. Maybe we should just take a step back from intentionally or unintentional making this about having these snarky opinions rather than the snarky opinions themselves?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Watching this Skylanders/Amiibo thing...

...kinda want it lol.

I will never buy a Skylanders game...but Bowser's gameplay and model and animations and all is really cool. They did a great job on him.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    To be honest, Microsoft could have revealed that they're shipping a free puppy that doesn't eat or poop and never grows up with each Xbox One they sell and it wouldn't matter because NieR 2.

I want to resurrect the Drakengard thread but there's really not much to talk about at this point other than Hype.

It really means a lot to me that they have enough confidence in Yoko Taro to let him direct the sequel.

• Options
    He looks so awesome swinging that hammer around, spawning red koopa shells and slamming them around.

I've never had much interest in Skylanders but the combat looks solid in this game.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Ok I'll bite. I've never heard of Nier. Will this sequel be good?

Short answer: Yes.

Long Answer: Yessssssssssssss.

Coherent Answer: NieR was an action RPG with one of the best soundtracks in gaming, great voicework/direction/acting/actors and a super interesting story that went a lot of places in great ways. The main complaint about the game was that the combat was only okay.

NieR 2 has all the same people behind the first game making it with Platinum handling the combat.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
This discussion has been closed.