As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Great Big E3 Thread of Announcements, Leaks, Hype, and Doom!

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Ok I'll bite. I've never heard of Nier. Will this sequel be good?

Short answer: Yes.

Long Answer: Yessssssssssssss.

Coherent Answer: NieR was an action RPG with one of the best soundtracks in gaming, great voicework/direction/acting/actors and a super interesting story that went a lot of places in great ways. The main complaint about the game was that the combat was only okay.

NieR 2 has all the same people behind the first game making it with Platinum handling the combat.

Platinum? Man, they're having a busy year... Sounds neat, I'm gonna go and look up some reviews of the first one.

Squeenix conference is really good.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

It's an action game for the PS3/360 that was originally conceived as a Drakengaard 2 sequel. It mixes some RPG elements with God of War style combat and a fairly nuts* storyline, to describe it as simply as possible. It was mostly ignored on release but has developed a pretty strong cult following.

Will the sequel be good? I dunno, but the names and studios that they're throwing at it are very good choices to make a sequel.

* NieR spoilers here, like deep into new game plus stuff
    There's a secret, secret ending in new game + called Ending D, which culminates in your actual save file being deleted in a way that fits within the game's narrative. It's pretty nuts.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    This new Mario Maker trailer is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwO09vJAPDs

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    He looks so awesome swinging that hammer around, spawning red koopa shells and slamming them around.

I've never had much interest in Skylanders but the combat looks solid in this game.

It very much is. The marketing is nightmarish but the gameplay is pretty darn rock solid.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I'm not allowed to think things are cool unless they release in less that six months. Okay.

Said literally nobody.

Man, not directly no, but the feeling is there when there's a lot of ultra dismissive talk about Sony's conference specifically to counter the hype. 'A game that should've been out four years ago', 'a remake of a twenty year old game', etc.

Like the thread didn't go 'oh whoopie-doo, more Halo and Gears yawwwwwn' after Microsoft's conference or at any point since, since those are definitely reasons to be excited for a lot of people too.

Well Gears and Halo are definitely coming out.

This remains to be seen with Last Guardian, Shenmue, and FFVII.

Personally I just resent that it feels like Sony trades heavily on nostalgia and what they know will stick it to Microsoft without ever bothering to fully deliver.

It sure seems like you're trying to pick holes in the Sony lineup, while whooping and hollering for Microsoft's. In reality, it can be done for every conference. The Coalition has been around for over 5 years, the only game they've released was the horrible Microsoft Flight and Gears 4 didn't look good at all. Halo 4, from the studio that brought you Halo 4 and MCC. Hololens is all smoke and mirrors, just like Kinect. And so on.

Ultimately though, it just comes across as sour grapes because you're deliberately trying to downplay something other people are excited about. It's dumb and is a great way of getting this thread closed.

Sure. People like some things, and dislike some other things. This wasn't a problem until people in this thread started to get really angry that some of us don't like the things that they're excited about (it also is a little annoying that Microsoft hype was mostly "wow a cool thing!" and a lot of Sony hype was "wow a cool thing, this is so much better than Microsoft!").

It hasn't seemed to me like they're getting angry because you don't like those games, they're getting angry because you've been so dismissive of them.

As for the annoying bit, I'm gonna call bullshit. There were more comparisons because both had been done by that point and it was coming from both sides.
    I'm not allowed to think things are cool unless they release in less that six months. Okay.

Said literally nobody.

Man, not directly no, but the feeling is there when there's a lot of ultra dismissive talk about Sony's conference specifically to counter the hype. 'A game that should've been out four years ago', 'a remake of a twenty year old game', etc.

Like the thread didn't go 'oh whoopie-doo, more Halo and Gears yawwwwwn' after Microsoft's conference or at any point since, since those are definitely reasons to be excited for a lot of people too.

Personally I just resent that it feels like Sony trades heavily on nostalgia and what they know will stick it to Microsoft without ever bothering to fully deliver.

It sure seems like you're trying to pick holes in the Sony lineup, while whooping and hollering for Microsoft's. In reality, it can be done for every conference. The Coalition has been around for over 5 years, the only game they've released was the horrible Microsoft Flight and Gears 4 didn't look good at all. Halo 4, from the studio that brought you Halo 4 and MCC. Hololens is all smoke and mirrors, just like Kinect. And so on.

Ultimately though, it just comes across as sour grapes because you're deliberately trying to downplay something other people are excited about. It's dumb and is a great way of getting this thread closed.

Actually, I'd say with TLG, being sceptical is warranted. That game looks the same as it did the last time we saw it. And that was 2009(?).

Whose to say we won't be seeing a slightly different trailer for that on the PS5?

Now FFVII, really exciting timed exclusive. Good get.

Shenmue, awesome.

I explained TLG's situation earlier. Japan Studio have been completely restructured, it's being run by one of the most successful studio heads Sony's got (Allan Becker, founder of Sony Santa Monica) and by all accounts, they appear to be on track.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Looks like on one of the streams it was confirmed Sony is partnering up for extra funding on Shenmue, so it's a similar situation to Street Fighter V where they don't own the IP and aren't spending enough money to keep it off PC, just Xbox.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Man, the last guardian is such a weird thing. I have to wonder how much of the hype is for what people saw of the game, how much is from the pedigree, and how much is because the game vanished for six years only to shock everyone by actually still existing.

Like, how big of a reaction would there have been if that trailer was at the 2010 or 2011 press conference instead? I feel like it got promoted from "anticipated" to "mythic" sometime during those six years.

The gameplay they showed was just so weird. Kid and animal friend destroyed some crumbling pillars for no reason. I was mostly confused.

I read your impressions earlier and I'm confused how you got that impression. He pushes the tower off the edge because the Guardian (for lack of a better name) is scared of it. Maybe you should watch it again and pay attention this time. :P

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    The existence of the Nier 2 project is as baffling as it is wonderful. You guys talk about FF7 remake or TLG or Shenmue 3 selling us on nothing but a dream, but Nier 2 is the dream that nobody knew to dream, let alone dared to dream.

Just sales-wise:
    Nier Replicant sold over 121,000 copies in Japan by the end of May 2010, and ended the year with over 134,000 copies sold.

This is an IP that has no clout except with its small cult, and is critically divisive. This is like if Deadly Premonition was announced to have a sequel in partnership with Capcom or Epic, or if some Ice Pick Lodge game was announced to have a sequel in partnership with Bethesda or Valve. Nier 2 doesn't have literally a decade of hype built around a monumental cultural touchstone (like FF7), but if the winner of E3 is settled in a contest of who can dream the biggest dream, Nier 2 should be right up there.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Man, the last guardian is such a weird thing. I have to wonder how much of the hype is for what people saw of the game, how much is from the pedigree, and how much is because the game vanished for six years only to shock everyone by actually still existing.

Like, how big of a reaction would there have been if that trailer was at the 2010 or 2011 press conference instead? I feel like it got promoted from "anticipated" to "mythic" sometime during those six years.

The gameplay they showed was just so weird. Kid and animal friend destroyed some crumbling pillars for no reason. I was mostly confused.

I read your impressions earlier and I'm confused how you got that impression. He pushes the tower off the edge because the Guardian (for lack of a better name) is scared of it. Maybe you should watch it again and pay attention this time. :P

I think the problem some people are having is that we haven't been told why they're in this ruin, or where they're going, or the significance of the tower thingy. Which they probably won't, because Team Ico.

Seriously, Ico doesn't spend a lot of time explaining itself, either. It's part of what's so amazing about it. I should really finish it at some point...

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I think Nintendo did fine for 3ds owners, but let down WiiU owners.

Oh, and I know Amiibo makes all the money, but please don't cut out content from your games just because I don't own a 20 dollar plastic toy :/

Like the worst dlc ever.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    The existence of the Nier 2 project is as baffling as it is wonderful. You guys talk about FF7 remake or TLG or Shenmue 3 selling us on nothing but a dream, but Nier 2 is the dream that nobody knew to dream, let alone dared to dream.

Just sales-wise:
    Nier Replicant sold over 121,000 copies in Japan by the end of May 2010, and ended the year with over 134,000 copies sold.

This is an IP that has no clout except with its small cult, and is critically divisive. This is like if Deadly Premonition was announced to have a sequel in partnership with Capcom or Epic, or if some Ice Pick Lodge game was announced to have a sequel in partnership with Bethesda or Valve. Nier 2 doesn't have literally a decade of hype built around a monumental cultural touchstone (like FF7), but if the winner of E3 is settled in a contest of who can dream the biggest dream, Nier 2 should be right up there.

well to be fair, Deadly Premonition kinda did get a sequel, in partnership with MS. D4 is pretty much the follow up to that game.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

Nier is like the Deadly Premonition of JRPGs.

The story and character dialog is amazing, some of the best that genre has seen in a long while. The music is also utterly fantastic. Imagine a Zelda game that does the progressive "song ramps up as you advance in this boss fight" only the music is much darker and gothic.

The two draws against it are the visuals are pretty middling and the gameplay even less so.

With Platinum brought in for the sequel, they've effectively solved the latter problem.

It'll probably look pretty good too.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Looks like on one of the streams it was confirmed Sony is partnering up for extra funding on Shenmue, so it's a similar situation to Street Fighter V where they don't own the IP and aren't spending enough money to keep it off PC, just Xbox.

I've tossed around the idea a lot, but I really think the reason Sony isn't fully funding it is probably because Yu Suzuki doesn't want his games tethered to a Console-Making Publisher anymore. A full ride deal with Sony would've been a full-exclusive deal and after the nonsense he likely had to go through to wrangle the Shenmue IP away from Sega, he wants to very much not do that anymore. Kickstarter then is just a way to fund his way to having the IP and game both.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Wait, Star Fox uses the gamepad to aim?

Bahahahaha!

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

Said literally nobody.

Sure. People like some things, and dislike some other things. This wasn't a problem until people in this thread started to get really angry that some of us don't like the things that they're excited about (it also is a little annoying that Microsoft hype was mostly "wow a cool thing!" and a lot of Sony hype was "wow a cool thing, this is so much better than Microsoft!").

It hasn't seemed to me like they're getting angry because you don't like those games, they're getting angry because you've been so dismissive of them.

As for the annoying bit, I'm gonna call bullshit. There were more comparisons because both had been done by that point and it was coming from both sides.

Said literally nobody.

Actually, I'd say with TLG, being sceptical is warranted. That game looks the same as it did the last time we saw it. And that was 2009(?).

Whose to say we won't be seeing a slightly different trailer for that on the PS5?

Shenmue, awesome.

I explained TLG's situation earlier. Japan Studio have been completely restructured, it's being run by one of the most successful studio heads Sony's got (Allan Becker, founder of Sony Santa Monica) and by all accounts, they appear to be on track.

And while that's good, has the game just been dormant since then? How much work is left to do on it? Has it taken the last 6 years of evolution and refinement in the puzzle platformer genre into account in its design?

Was production halted for half a decade and this the old 2009 work dusted off and they're starting from there?

Cause that didn't look like 6 years of work. And if DKF has shown us anything, polishing up a game that was having problems in a way too long dev cycle and releasing it isn't a good idea. So, how much work is left? And have the issues the team had that stopped production been worked out?

No I don't.
  • Options

Bahahahaha!

it's probably something that can be toggled on and off. Splatoon had options for motion controls too.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I still want to know if the amiibo forms in Super Mario Maker can get powerups. It looks weird to me that all of them are tiny. Can they get super mushrooms? Fire flowers?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I still want to know if the amiibo forms in Super Mario Maker can get powerups. It looks weird to me that all of them are tiny. Can they get super mushrooms? Fire flowers?

It'd be cool if Link turned into Zelda 2 Link and shot swordbeams.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

It'd be cool if Link turned into Zelda 2 Link and shot swordbeams.

Yeah exactly! Actually, it would be awesome if each character played differently, though based on what they've shown I don't think that's the case.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Can they be enemies? Can Mario be an enemy?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Bahahahaha!

it's probably something that can be toggled on and off. Splatoon had options for motion controls too.

And Splatoon's motion controls feel just fine. It's why I'm not actually skeptical of SFZ's control scheme.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Mario Maker on the stream now, showing off more details of how the level sharing and creation and such works. It seems robust enough! Featured, follow good content creators, etc.

EDIT: Levels show completion rates, so you know how many people beat it!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Said literally nobody.

Said literally nobody.

Shenmue, awesome.

And while that's good, has the game just been dormant since then? How much work is left to do on it? Has it taken the last 6 years of evolution and refinement in the puzzle platformer genre into account in its design?

Was production halted for half a decade and this the old 2009 work dusted off and they're starting from there?

Cause that didn't look like 6 years of work. And if DKF has shown us anything, polishing up a game that was having problems in a way too long dev cycle and releasing it isn't a good idea. So, how much work is left? And have the issues the team had that stopped production been worked out?

Eight years of work -- development started in 2007.

You know, I wonder if there's been a change in Sony and they're less patient with its creators taking forever.

The Order got shoved out the door before it was hammered into a decent game, for instance.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Nier is like the Deadly Premonition of JRPGs.

The story and character dialog is amazing, some of the best that genre has seen in a long while. The music is also utterly fantastic. Imagine a Zelda game that does the progressive "song ramps up as you advance in this boss fight" only the music is much darker and gothic.

The two draws against it are the visuals are pretty middling and the gameplay even less so.

With Platinum brought in for the sequel, they've effectively solved the latter problem.

It'll probably look pretty good too.

NieR's art direction is fantastic though. The visuals were only middling because the game engine seemed pretty poopy. The game looked and felt like it was running on a ps2 with shitty framerate and aliasing everywhere. If they're using Luminous or one of the big 3rd party engines I don't think we'll see that problem again.

I didn't like the soundtrack as much as most other people. There were some tracks that were really really good, but there were some I didn't like at all, and some that were ok but were too short or were just looped for too long. The layered tracks really were fantastic though. They split most of the tracks into separate layers. You'd get a subdued instrumental only track while exploring an area, and they'd add in a percussion track that totally changed the mood of the music into something more frenetic when monsters showed up. They'd add in vocals as the story in an area picked up and things got more dramatic, and pretty much everything gets added together and then some for boss fights.

The acting is what was really amazing. I still get goosebumps listening to the dialogue it the intro/splash screen when you first load up the game. There's really only 3 characters that do any real voice-work, but they do such an amazing job. I don't think I've ever seen a game with better acted dialog.

If you have a ps3 and are interested in playing Nier, it shouldn't be hard to find a copy. Nier is a sequel to Drakengard 1 ending E, and you really want to know the story of Drakengard 1 before you go into Nier (Drakengard 2 is completely unnecessary). Don't actually play the game though, because it's terrible. Read the LP by The Dark Id link.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Said literally nobody.

Said literally nobody.

Shenmue, awesome.

You know, I wonder if there's been a change in Sony and they're less patient with its creators taking forever.

The Order got shoved out the door before it was hammered into a decent game, for instance.

Except it was a decent game. Just not as long a game as it should've been.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Said literally nobody.

Said literally nobody.

Shenmue, awesome.

there have definitely been changes at Sony. Shu is head of the whole company now, not just the Playstation division and Jack Trenton left SCEA either just before or just after the PS4 launched.

i don't know exactly how those changes have affected the running over all, but i'm sure there have been changes.

• Options
    Mario Maker on the stream now, showing off more details of how the level sharing and creation and such works. It seems robust enough! Featured, follow good content creators, etc.

nice anti-trolling measure. you cannot upload a a level unless you're beaten it yourself. so every single level that will be available will be beatable.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

nice anti-trolling measure. you cannot upload a a level unless you're beaten it yourself. so every single level that will be available will be beatable.

And the difficulty ranking is set by completion rank, not necessarily by your own thoughts on it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

Kinda makes for an interesting self-challenge aspect, too. You can try to Kaizo Mario World it up, but you gotta be good enough to become the Kaizo before you can share it.

• Options
    It's awesome how it definitely evokes 8 bit mario, but it is upgraded.

I wonder if they'll do SMB2 or Yoshi's Island as future DLC.

• Options
    Saw mech swordfighting in the corner of the Nintendo booth there... was like "Holy shit, what game is that?"

Xenoblade Chronicles X. Of course.. neeeeeed that.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    It's awesome how it definitely evokes 8 bit mario, but it is upgraded.

I wonder if they'll do SMB2 or Yoshi's Island as future DLC.

Yoshi stuff i can see, but i don't think we'll get SMB2 tools since that was really just a reskin of an entirely different game.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So Microsoft and Sony got me super excited about 2016 and 2017. I'll finally have to pick up one or the other then. Despite being lackluster, the Nintendo presentation showed me games I'll be buying this year.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    My top three games of last generation were (being the RPG fan that I am): Xenoblade, Nier, and The World Ends With You.

The first has a spiritual sequel, to it, Xenosaga, and Xenogears. The second has a direct sequel (or prequel).

What do I have to do to get The World Ends With You Too and complete my trio of hopes and dreams?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    My top three games of last generation were (being the RPG fan that I am): Xenoblade, Nier, and The World Ends With You.

The first has a spiritual sequel, to it, Xenosaga, and Xenogears. The second has a direct sequel (or prequel).

What do I have to do to get The World Ends With You Too and complete my trio of hopes and dreams?

Wait for Nomura to finish Remake, I guess.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    SMB2 is probably just too different what with having 4 playable characters with different abilities and the whole pulling stuff from the ground mechanic.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options

buy the broken iOS version

several thousand times

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    So Microsoft and Sony got me super excited about 2016 and 2017. I'll finally have to pick up one or the other then. Despite being lackluster, the Nintendo presentation showed me games I'll be buying this year.

The Bethesda and Square Enix conferences showed us things to be excited for this year.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
This discussion has been closed.