As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Great Big E3 Thread of Announcements, Leaks, Hype, and Doom!

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Eight years of work -- development started in 2007.

You know, I wonder if there's been a change in Sony and they're less patient with its creators taking forever.

The Order got shoved out the door before it was hammered into a decent game, for instance.

They've been pretty patient with them but at some point someone had to go either we make this game or it's cancelled. Money and patience aren't infinite especially when sony's other divisions weren't as profitable. I'm surprised TLG lasted as long as it did under those conditions.

I have to wonder if Sony's first party problems are partly because they do let some of their teams forever to get done and now they realise they've got nothing to show for a whole year.

Like the Xbox is still lagging behind by quite a margin but they have games this year and they dropped partial free BC compat on the table. Sony might get away with it but it could eat into their sales lead and things might even up.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    My top three games of last generation were (being the RPG fan that I am): Xenoblade, Nier, and The World Ends With You.

The first has a spiritual sequel, to it, Xenosaga, and Xenogears. The second has a direct sequel (or prequel).

What do I have to do to get The World Ends With You Too and complete my trio of hopes and dreams?

buy the broken iOS version

several thousand times

Why would I ever buy that shitty downport with neutered gameplay when I own the DS original?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I can not believe NieR 2. I simply can not. This is amazing. My favorite games of all time, in terms of story, are Alan Wake, NieR and Deadly Premonition. And all 3 I assumed were dead as can be.

To anyone who wants to check out NieR:
    Everyone here has done a good job of telling you what you need to know - the gameplay itself is alright, everything else is pretty marvelous. PLEASE just go in blind. Read that Drakengard LP if you want because it's hilarious and crazy and makes you go "How the HELL does this fit into NieR?" - but that is it. Just play it, and enjoy it.

It's probably the game I wish I could have erased from my mind the most, because the first time you put together what is happening, it's indescribable.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    So Microsoft and Sony got me super excited about 2016 and 2017. I'll finally have to pick up one or the other then. Despite being lackluster, the Nintendo presentation showed me games I'll be buying this year.

The Bethesda and Square Enix conferences showed us things to be excited for this year.

I know I'm looking forward to to that card game the most. Probably will be junk, but always like seeing what people come up with for mechanics.

Was there any talk about the whole "Blitz in FF14" rumor?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    My top three games of last generation were (being the RPG fan that I am): Xenoblade, Nier, and The World Ends With You.

The first has a spiritual sequel, to it, Xenosaga, and Xenogears. The second has a direct sequel (or prequel).

What do I have to do to get The World Ends With You Too and complete my trio of hopes and dreams?

buy the broken iOS version

several thousand times

Why would I ever buy that shitty downport with neutered gameplay when I own the DS original?

the alternative is praying that it gets NieR 2'd

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    SMB2 is probably just too different what with having 4 playable characters with different abilities and the whole pulling stuff from the ground mechanic.

I don't think so. Yes, the plucking mechanics would be new and unique, but the characters are just different physics on your sprite - which the game is doing already across the SMM styles. Plus, while it is a redone Doki Doki Panic, it was still developed by Miyamoto and was released in Japan as Super Mario USA. If anything, Yoshi would be the outlier.

I can't help but find it suspicious that the UI has 4 slots for game styles but could easily fit more... *looks at Splatoon*

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    So Microsoft and Sony got me super excited about 2016 and 2017. I'll finally have to pick up one or the other then. Despite being lackluster, the Nintendo presentation showed me games I'll be buying this year.

The Bethesda and Square Enix conferences showed us things to be excited for this year.

I get to pick them up on PC. The big console stuff is 2016+

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Man, the last guardian is such a weird thing. I have to wonder how much of the hype is for what people saw of the game, how much is from the pedigree, and how much is because the game vanished for six years only to shock everyone by actually still existing.

Like, how big of a reaction would there have been if that trailer was at the 2010 or 2011 press conference instead? I feel like it got promoted from "anticipated" to "mythic" sometime during those six years.

The gameplay they showed was just so weird. Kid and animal friend destroyed some crumbling pillars for no reason. I was mostly confused.

I read your impressions earlier and I'm confused how you got that impression. He pushes the tower off the edge because the Guardian (for lack of a better name) is scared of it. Maybe you should watch it again and pay attention this time. :P

I think the problem some people are having is that we haven't been told why they're in this ruin, or where they're going, or the significance of the tower thingy. Which they probably won't, because Team Ico.

Seriously, Ico doesn't spend a lot of time explaining itself, either. It's part of what's so amazing about it. I should really finish it at some point...

UNdead Scottsman, UNcleSporky, UNco-ordinated, and HoUN. I smell a cUNspiracy. No, wait, uh... shenanigUNs. Uh. Hm.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I'm not allowed to think things are cool unless they release in less that six months. Okay.

Said literally nobody.

Man, not directly no, but the feeling is there when there's a lot of ultra dismissive talk about Sony's conference specifically to counter the hype. 'A game that should've been out four years ago', 'a remake of a twenty year old game', etc.

Like the thread didn't go 'oh whoopie-doo, more Halo and Gears yawwwwwn' after Microsoft's conference or at any point since, since those are definitely reasons to be excited for a lot of people too.

Well Gears and Halo are definitely coming out.

This remains to be seen with Last Guardian, Shenmue, and FFVII.

Personally I just resent that it feels like Sony trades heavily on nostalgia and what they know will stick it to Microsoft without ever bothering to fully deliver.

It sure seems like you're trying to pick holes in the Sony lineup, while whooping and hollering for Microsoft's. In reality, it can be done for every conference. The Coalition has been around for over 5 years, the only game they've released was the horrible Microsoft Flight and Gears 4 didn't look good at all. Halo 4, from the studio that brought you Halo 4 and MCC. Hololens is all smoke and mirrors, just like Kinect. And so on.

Ultimately though, it just comes across as sour grapes because you're deliberately trying to downplay something other people are excited about. It's dumb and is a great way of getting this thread closed.

Sure. People like some things, and dislike some other things. This wasn't a problem until people in this thread started to get really angry that some of us don't like the things that they're excited about (it also is a little annoying that Microsoft hype was mostly "wow a cool thing!" and a lot of Sony hype was "wow a cool thing, this is so much better than Microsoft!").

It hasn't seemed to me like they're getting angry because you don't like those games, they're getting angry because you've been so dismissive of them.

As for the annoying bit, I'm gonna call bullshit. There were more comparisons because both had been done by that point and it was coming from both sides.
    I'm not allowed to think things are cool unless they release in less that six months. Okay.

Said literally nobody.

Man, not directly no, but the feeling is there when there's a lot of ultra dismissive talk about Sony's conference specifically to counter the hype. 'A game that should've been out four years ago', 'a remake of a twenty year old game', etc.

Like the thread didn't go 'oh whoopie-doo, more Halo and Gears yawwwwwn' after Microsoft's conference or at any point since, since those are definitely reasons to be excited for a lot of people too.

Well Gears and Halo are definitely coming out.

This remains to be seen with Last Guardian, Shenmue, and FFVII.

Personally I just resent that it feels like Sony trades heavily on nostalgia and what they know will stick it to Microsoft without ever bothering to fully deliver.

It sure seems like you're trying to pick holes in the Sony lineup, while whooping and hollering for Microsoft's. In reality, it can be done for every conference. The Coalition has been around for over 5 years, the only game they've released was the horrible Microsoft Flight and Gears 4 didn't look good at all. Halo 4, from the studio that brought you Halo 4 and MCC. Hololens is all smoke and mirrors, just like Kinect. And so on.

Ultimately though, it just comes across as sour grapes because you're deliberately trying to downplay something other people are excited about. It's dumb and is a great way of getting this thread closed.

Actually, I'd say with TLG, being sceptical is warranted. That game looks the same as it did the last time we saw it. And that was 2009(?).

Whose to say we won't be seeing a slightly different trailer for that on the PS5?

Now FFVII, really exciting timed exclusive. Good get.

Shenmue, awesome.

I explained TLG's situation earlier. Japan Studio have been completely restructured, it's being run by one of the most successful studio heads Sony's got (Allan Becker, founder of Sony Santa Monica) and by all accounts, they appear to be on track.

And while that's good, has the game just been dormant since then? How much work is left to do on it? Has it taken the last 6 years of evolution and refinement in the puzzle platformer genre into account in its design?

Was production halted for half a decade and this the old 2009 work dusted off and they're starting from there?

Cause that didn't look like 6 years of work. And if DKF has shown us anything, polishing up a game that was having problems in a way too long dev cycle and releasing it isn't a good idea. So, how much work is left? And have the issues the team had that stopped production been worked out?

Like I said earlier though, 2009 is just a date, it doesn't really mean anything without context. The vast majority of TLG's development has been done with a very small team, like 20-30 people. It's only been in full production (~100) for maybe 3 years of its development.

No, the design has been completely done for years, Ueda said as much when Kotaku interviewed him back in 2013. What evolution and refinement in the puzzle platformer genre? There's been a million 2D ones and 3D puzzle games but 3D puzzle platformers? The only ones I can think of are the AAA ones but Ubisoft's killed Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider has been turned into an Uncharted clone. I don't really think it'll matter, game design hasn't exactly evolved that much over the last ten years and Team Ico's games have aged incredibly well.

The Duke Nukem comparison is misleading. That game wasn't polished up, it was a Frankenstein project of taping various different versions of the game together and trying to get a working game out of it. It was an impossible task and they failed. But it's not like Duke Nukem is the only game to ever suffer numerous delays but eventually come out. What about Half Life 2 or Team Fortress 2? Hell, Horizon has technically been in development since Killzone 2 came out in Feb 2009, how does it look? Though similar to TLG, most of that time was spent with just a small team, while most of Guerrilla's staff worked on Killzone 3 and Shadow Fall.
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Looks like on one of the streams it was confirmed Sony is partnering up for extra funding on Shenmue, so it's a similar situation to Street Fighter V where they don't own the IP and aren't spending enough money to keep it off PC, just Xbox.

I've tossed around the idea a lot, but I really think the reason Sony isn't fully funding it is probably because Yu Suzuki doesn't want his games tethered to a Console-Making Publisher anymore. A full ride deal with Sony would've been a full-exclusive deal and after the nonsense he likely had to go through to wrangle the Shenmue IP away from Sega, he wants to very much not do that anymore. Kickstarter then is just a way to fund his way to having the IP and game both.

I think it's more likely it was decided on Sony's end than Suzuki's. Suzuki's been around for long enough to know how things work and if it resulted in his dream project, I doubt he'd care. But I think it makes more sense for Sony to partially fund it, in exchange for a PC version, than fully fund it and make it completely exclusive. It's not a huge game, so it's not going to sell a million consoles, it's more fan service than anything else, like Yakuza 5's localisation, so complete exclusivity doesn't make as much financial sense.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Butcher wrote: »
    Again, it's not so much the notion that they dislike the announcements, but rather that they're downplaying their significance.

Like I understand these are really cool things for those excited for them (like me and The Last Guardian), but I don't quite get what this significance is your talking about?

They transparently don't give a fuck and come off like jaded 30-something's who resent their chosen profession. Dan barely spoke during the whole thing and he's the only remotely positive guy there. It's just kind of lame, if they would at least talk about why people like it even if they might not be those people, I'd respect it. As is, they don't come off as critics, just curmudgeons. Jeff being the worst and completely dominating the discourse as usual.

Honestly, I get the same sense out of a lot of video game industry types. A lot of the Idle Thumbs folks seem to have the same issues. I think its the kind of industry that just burns people out, but pays enough to make them stick around long after they've lost any joy for the medium.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Nier spoilers:
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I can not believe NieR 2. I simply can not. This is amazing. My favorite games of all time, in terms of story, are Alan Wake, NieR and Deadly Premonition. And all 3 I assumed were dead as can be.

Everyone here has done a good job of telling you what you need to know - the gameplay itself is alright, everything else is pretty marvelous. PLEASE just go in blind. Read that Drakengard LP if you want because it's hilarious and crazy and makes you go "How the HELL does this fit into NieR?" - but that is it. Just play it, and enjoy it.

It's probably the game I wish I could have erased from my mind the most, because the first time you put together what is happening, it's indescribable.
    HAHAHAHA.

• BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    The PC Gaming show is about to start. Wonder if it will be worthwhile.

Edit: False Alarm. Still an hour off.

BranniganSepp on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The PC Gaming show is about to start. Wonder if it will be worthwhile.

Starts at 6 PST, doesn't it?

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    looks like its been pushed back an hour? that's annoying.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    The PC Gaming show needed a day 1 patch.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    edited June 2015
    Well they are streaming a really nerdy loading screen gamer quiz to keep us entertained in the meantime.

danx on
  • pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    Console wars are out in force here, I see.
    Sony had some great stuff to be sure, but none of it was my cup of tea.

Microsoft, on the other hand, had everything that spoke to me directly. BC, elite controller, DS3, GW2, all huge for me. Only one I could care less about was GoW4.

Loved everything Bethesda showed.

South Park is the biggest win of the show for me. Ubisoft came out of nowhere with that shit. It was the only trailer I HAD to watch at work.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    The PC Gaming show needed a day 1 patch.
    :snap:

• pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    Also, SF5 exclusivity pisses me off. I don't mind buying a PS4, but the only 2 games on it so far for me are SF5 and Bloodborne. Not worth it yet.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    pawa24 wrote: »
    Also, SF5 exclusivity pisses me off. I don't mind buying a PS4, but the only 2 games on it so far for me are SF5 and Bloodborne. Not worth it yet.

Eh, it wouldn't be happening without Sony. It being exclusive is kinda like bayonetta 2. They made it happen.

No I don't.
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

That game was cool until I got to this insufferable maze puzzle thing and stopped playing it.

I looked up what the deal was, and it all seems neat, but yeah, fuck that part. It ranked up there with the stealth part of indigo prophecy (quit playing there - for the better I hear) and that goddamn desert in breath of fire 3.

Anyway, all I'm saying is I guess I could get excited about a sequel maybe.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Unravel made my young one smile. So that's going to end up in the house. There has been some great stuff this e3 but as I get older watching her enjoy stuff like Unravel and asking to see the trailer over and over again are my new e3 highlights.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'm hoping a Nier sequel will drum up enough interest to also get a port of Nier to PC. I hope at least the Xbone getting backward compatibility will let me play it again.

Can't wait for Nier 2. I'm with mxmarks as it being one of my all time favorite game stories. And I ALMOST didn't play "through" it 4 times to get the full ending. SO glad I did.

pawa24 wrote: »

Eh, it wouldn't be happening without Sony. It being exclusive is kinda like bayonetta 2. They made it happen.

Yeah, Dead Rising 3 is another example. Both games may have come out eventually without Microsoft/Sony stepping in but that would've been 2-3 years later and probably not in the form we got or are getting them (possibly F2P like Dragon's Dogma Online). Capcom are struggling at the moment, they've spent a lot of money trying to get into the mobile market and have come away with nothing. Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are probably the only series they'll put all their weight behind these days.

TychoCelchuuu just posted this in the Firewatch thread. It's detailing the process Campo Santo took to create their presentation for Sony's conference and is pretty cool:
    http://blog.camposanto.com/post/121635737009/the-process-behind-putting-firewatch-on-stage-at

• BobbyrrrrBobbyrrrr Registered User regular
    Unravel looked pretty cute! My other half was keen to grab that. Some great games coming out, still waiting on Nintendo to kill it though. Just drop the Pokemon MMORPG hammer with full Amiibo support, bringing the Miiverse to the Pokemon Regions as well.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Yeah unravel looked great.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Watching the GT stream and they have a guy from Larian there and it's clear they have little clue about Divinity OS. They've spent like 5 minutes talking about the Xbox Elite controller when he told them he hadn't seen it so he's been kinda just sitting there for a few minutes.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    The biggest bombshell that could ever drop for me at E3 would be No More Exclusives. Every game on every console.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    The biggest bombshell that could ever drop for me at E3 would be No More Exclusives. Every game on every console.

That's the world I want to live in.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    vamen wrote: »

Timed exclusives taking over from full exclusives is a decent step towards that world.

reVerse on
    PC Showcase starting now!

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Where are you watching it?

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »

Timed exclusives taking over from full exclusives is a decent step towards that world.

Also an example of why it'll never be the norm- money.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    I already hate this. Fucking mountain dew in a wine glass. :P

• LevantLevant Registered User regular
    what the hell is happening

Wraith260 wrote: »

Where are you watching it?

on twitch channel PCGamer

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular

It was poetry.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

GAMER FUEEEEEEEEEEL

Oh yeah I forgot Day 9 was hosting this. Yay!

That was the worst intro I've seen for a conference.

This discussion has been closed.