As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hollywood [chat]s

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    I am kinda glad my government doesn't fund people getting a PhD in anime.

Just saying... that doesn't seem like a great use of public funding.

Compared to what? Sports PhDs?

Compared to Australia, where they apparently do.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Oh you fucking shits

Why are you loading loot onto the fucking bus when I'm still trying to bag up shit in the vault

Get it up to the FUCKING STAIRS, which we can defend as a choke point

Or nah, just leave it in the vault floor with guys pouring out of half a dozen floors

How are you people SO BAD AT THIS

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

cultural studies are important

if our country thought so we'd probably have fewer people being terrible to one another

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    What with marijuans being legal in Washington, I doubt you could put yourself through school selling it here.

Your choice:
    Pot store like two blocks off campus.
    Dave, down the hall.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    A calorie is a measure of heat like a degree or a thermometer. To lose calories, just get very cold.

explain santa

One cookie can bring 3 liters of water from freezing to a boil.

what if the cookie is made of tungsten

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

Oh god.

Fantasy needs to come up with something other than Nebraska Winter as its big scary doom.

Yeah, at this point it would be scarier if they emphasized the Nebraska part over the winter.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

Compared to what? Sports PhDs?
    you need to get a STEM education so you can be a more productive tax payer, duh

I started my college career as a mechanical engineering major.

Now look where I am.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    A calorie is a measure of heat like a degree or a thermometer. To lose calories, just get very cold.

this is actually very true

the reason it doesn't work is the "calories" listed on food are actually kilocalories

so you have to get very very very cold for a very long time

This fact constantly galls me.

So much about energy measurement does so:

Why is everything in kilocalorie and kilojoules? Like, in Australia we have our dietary requirements expressed in kJ , but they are actually kkJ. F uuuu

Why do Americans use a metric measurement of energy?

Wait, you use kkJ? Your total dietary requirement is 8.3? That seems really weird.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

I can think of a number of things your government funds that aren't great uses of it, but as it turns out I am not the dictator of what gets funded or not

If I managed to get a highly competitive scholarship based on my research and my academic merits, maybe there is value outside of whatever narrow fields of interest individuals decide are "worth" funding

• Options

if our country thought so we'd probably have fewer people being terrible to one another

Ehh. Let the idle rich do that work.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I started my college career studying graphic design!

Then I dropped out because whyyyyy do they let 18 year olds make decisions about going to college.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Oh you fucking shits

Why are you loading loot onto the fucking bus when I'm still trying to bag up shit in the vault

Or nah, just leave it in the vault floor with guys pouring out of half a dozen floors

the guy in charge said they could have a bigger cut of the money if they fucked over everybody else

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

I can think of a number of things your government funds that aren't great uses of it, but as it turns out I am not the dictator of what gets funded or not

If I managed to get a highly competitive scholarship based on my research and my academic merits, maybe there is value outside of whatever narrow fields of interest individuals decide are "worth" funding

look we have a lot of brown people to kill around the world and that's not cheap

we can't be all spending a couple tens of thousands of dollars on half a dozen phds every year

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

no thanks, the 1800s were fun enough the first time

i reject completely the idea that everyone who isn't rich has to be a happy little productive cog in the machine

pretty ivory tower thinking, spoolman

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    I started my college career studying graphic design!

Then I dropped it because whyyyyy do they let 18 year olds make decisions about going to college.

I'm still trying to figure out how the hell I got put in a calculus class after dropping out of trigonometry.

Ironically, everyone failed that class anyway because they literally had the wrong teacher for the class and didn't bother to correct that after they found out their error.

• Options
    the only field worth studying is reaganomics hth

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

hey i dont want to do any work ffs dont u offload that shit on me

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Abolish the college system.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    milski wrote: »

the reason it doesn't work is the "calories" listed on food are actually kilocalories

Why is everything in kilocalorie and kilojoules? Like, in Australia we have our dietary requirements expressed in kJ , but they are actually kkJ. F uuuu

Wait, you use kkJ? Your total dietary requirement is 8.3? That seems really weird.
    No, my dietary requirement is 8,300kj, but it is actually 8,300kkj

wait

maybe i have confused myself

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

The indolent rich don't have the deep cultural connection to waifus spool pls.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Elendil wrote: »
    Oh you fucking shits

the guy in charge said they could have a bigger cut of the money if they fucked over everybody else

It's like people who are infamy (think prestige from COD - i.e. they've finished the game and reset their skills and weapons for a challenge) level 3 and 4

How have you people played so long, and yet remained so bad

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    I'm surprised college didn't assume trig knowledge. Even remedial math at A&M assumed trig knowledge.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »

Their character pillows are made of silk and gold thread and stuffed with the hair of the voice actresses.

• Options
    "Oh, you're into sociology? Too bad your great grandparents didn't start an oil firm. Get back in the STEM mines, worker drone! Remember, Productivity Means Citizenship!"

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

wait

2000 kcals is 8300kj.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

wait

this explains why I am a fat

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

um this is a calumny i have an incredibly deep connection to 18000 waifus a second

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm surprised college didn't assume trig knowledge. Even remedial math at A&M assumed trig knowledge.

Central Californian education system. *shrug* They also had a class designed to fuck over honest/poor people who were not the children of engineers.

Incenjucar on
  • Options

wait

8300 kJ is actually correct. 8300 kkJ is an incredible amount of energy to eat.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

Nah, it's fine. Most PhD dissertations are equally "useless", and I include STEM stuff in that. It's more about the process of working rigorously, and in long-form, to create knowledge. That skill is valuable and highly transferrable, assuming the institution has standards. I'd rather we funded anime PhDs to students willing and able to get them over denying assistance to save money or to try to force people into more practical fields.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

wait

i can do it tho

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

wait

i can do it tho

That's because you're a platinum protagonist and/or terrifying twerkbot.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

cause imperial units for stuff like force and energy are fucking dumb

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

wait

According to wolfram,

8.3 gigaJoules is 1/5 the yearly energy usage of the average American household.

• Options
    I put it to you that imperial units are dumb in general, RESPOND SIR

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Abolish the college system.

Instead of a flat rate, make it so the cost of acquiring a degree is proportional to the chance of you landing a job related to your field of study when you graduate.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    simonwolf wrote: »

Or, it turns it that a whole lot of people would like the government to fund their anime studies rather than either paying for it themselves or study something with market value. I bet the competition to get that is fierce!

I don't mean to sound rude, but if you're going to lol America about your government paying you to get a PhD, I'm going to lol about what you're doing with it.

spool32 on
  • Options
    i wish i did a phd in something cool like spaghetti

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    i get my energy by eating one 100 watt light bulb at a time

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    a quick Google suggests that the US already pays students to study the animes

the Japan-United States Friendship Commission funds Japanese studies, which may study Japanese healthcare and Abenomics but it may also study
    『四畳半神話大系』におけるアイデンティティーの発見 -パラレルワールドの観点から-
    Discovering of Identity via Parallel Worlds in Yojōhan shinwa taikei
    Christopher Lewis (University of Colorado, Boulder)

『四畳半神話大系』とは、直木賞を受賞した森見登美彦の小説をアニメ化し、2010
    年に放送された作品である。本発表では、『四畳半神話大系』はアニメという視覚的
    な媒体を通して、さまざまな技法を利用し、パラレルワールドが描かれていると指摘
    する。また、視聴者が主人公とともにそのパラレルワールドをどのように受け入れる
    のかを解説し、主人公のアイデンティティーの発見、周囲の人々との関係理解につい
    て、パラレルワールドを用いて述べる。
    Yojōhan shinwa taikei is a 2010 anime adaptation of the Naoki Award-winning novel of
    the same name written by Morimi Tomihiko. This presentation will explain how the
    concept of a parallel world is illustrated utilizing various techniques available in the
    visual medium of anime. I will present the how both the protagonist and the audience
    receives this parallel world, and analyze the protagonist’s identity discovery and his
    developing understanding his relationship with the characters around him.

マンガの中の文字:表記の選択が示すもの The Language of Manga: Character Building through
    the Visual Representation of Words
    Mia Lewis (Stanford University)

漫画では漫画特有の文字表記を通し、物語が語られていると考えられる。そして、こ
    れらの文字表記をいくつかのカテゴリーに分類することが可能だ。この発表では三つ
    の表記方法を分析する。それはフォント、カタカナ、当て字という表記方法である。
    このようなカテゴリーは金水敏が定義した「役割語」のように、漫画に登場する人物
    の性格などを示す。それから、漫画の中の世界を創造する役割も果たす。そして、文
    字の表記を変えることを通し、漫画の絵や吹き出しの構造も変容させる。日本の多く
    の子供や青年がこのように日本特有の様々な文字の表記を巧みに使用する漫画を読
    み、日本語の可能性を学んでいると考えられるのではなかろうか。
    It is possible to change the visual representation of text in Japanese manga in many
    ways it is not in English comics. These different visual representations can be divided
    into multiple categories. In this presentation I will be focusing on the categories of font,
    katakana and ateji (the pairing of two different words together through the use of a
    reading gloss). Like yakuwarigo (role language), as defined by Kinsui Satoshi, these
    different categories of visual expression help to identify and define the personality of
    the characters speaking. At times they also work to build the world of the story. Beyond
    this, on a visual level, the structure and appearance of the page and word balloons are
    also changed by the visual representation of the text. It is therefore possible to
    hypothesize that children who read these works at the same time as they are learning
    Japanese are also learning a multitude of expressive nuances afforded to them by the
    language.

if this strikes you as a subsidy on japanophilia... yeah, I mean, that's the point of throwing money at soft diplomacy, innit.

aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.