As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hollywood [chat]s

19495969798100»

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Abolish the college system.
    Instead of a flat rate, make it so the cost of acquiring a degree is proportional to the chance of you landing a job related to your field of study when you graduate.
    Most schools already have a surcharge for business or engineering classes. I don't know what people actually do in a business degree, but apparently the professors can demand more money to teach about sigmas and synergy.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Instead of a flat rate, make it so the cost of acquiring a degree is proportional to the chance of you landing a job related to your field of study when you graduate.

So STEM pays more then? Interesting, but I wonder if people would cheap out their college by like double majoring in Latin Grammar.

I ate an engineer
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Sorry if I was being snitty @Spool32 I just bristle at that sort of thing

Also I use the skills developed in my LibArts programs all the time in my IT Drone job, and it's helping me climb the ladder faster than the CIS kids. You never know where that stuff will be useful and how it will enhance your skills and workforce.

Lh96QHG.png
    Coinage wrote: »
    Most schools already have a surcharge for business or engineering classes. I don't know what people actually do in a business degree, but apparently the professors can demand more money to teach about sigmas and synergy.

Yeah, it's a small extra charge certain majors to even things out, but it doesn't change the funding landscape at all.

I ate an engineer
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Oh you fucking shits

Why are you loading loot onto the fucking bus when I'm still trying to bag up shit in the vault

Get it up to the FUCKING STAIRS, which we can defend as a choke point

Or nah, just leave it in the vault floor with guys pouring out of half a dozen floors

How are you people SO BAD AT THIS

what is this?

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I am kinda glad my government doesn't fund people getting a PhD in anime.

Just saying... that doesn't seem like a great use of public funding.

I can think of a number of things your government funds that aren't great uses of it, but as it turns out I am not the dictator of what gets funded or not

If I managed to get a highly competitive scholarship based on my research and my academic merits, maybe there is value outside of whatever narrow fields of interest individuals decide are "worth" funding

Or, it turns it that a whole lot of people would like the government to fund their anime studies rather than either paying for it themselves or study something with market value. I bet the competition to get that is fierce!

I don't mean to sound rude, but if you're going to lol America about your government paying you to get a PhD, I'm going to lol about what you're doing with it.

you do kinda sound rude telling a guy his field of study isn't worth anything though

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I did a cool picture of shivahn but I'll wait till the thread rolls over so it doesn't get buried

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Also I bathed the puppy damn I am tired

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    "Oh, you're into sociology? Too bad your great grandparents didn't start an oil firm. Get back in the STEM mines, worker drone! Remember, Productivity Means Citizenship!"

Oh your into sociology? Well we graduated 400000 sociologists last year but most of them are baristas now so maybe we don't pay for you to do that also.

Oh you fucking shits

Why are you loading loot onto the fucking bus when I'm still trying to bag up shit in the vault

Or nah, just leave it in the vault floor with guys pouring out of half a dozen floors

what is this?

Payday 2.

I ate an engineer
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i think business skool is a joke universally based off of my data point of 1

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

I can think of a number of things your government funds that aren't great uses of it, but as it turns out I am not the dictator of what gets funded or not

If I managed to get a highly competitive scholarship based on my research and my academic merits, maybe there is value outside of whatever narrow fields of interest individuals decide are "worth" funding

Or, it turns it that a whole lot of people would like the government to fund their anime studies rather than either paying for it themselves or study something with market value. I bet the competition to get that is fierce!

I don't mean to sound rude, but if you're going to lol America about your government paying you to get a PhD, I'm going to lol about what you're doing with it.

you do kinda sound rude telling a guy his field of study isn't worth anything though
    spool would rather die than take anime seriously.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Just read that GRRM open letter

I do not read/watch GoT, but him using the term "illiterate shitlord" is the best thing

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    "Oh, you're into sociology? Too bad your great grandparents didn't start an oil firm. Get back in the STEM mines, worker drone! Remember, Productivity Means Citizenship!"

Oh your into sociology? Well we graduated 400000 sociologists last year but most of them are baristas now so maybe we don't pay for you to do that also.

Or maybe fix the shitty economy and stop treating college degrees as HR filters and stop blaming kids of literally doing what their parents told them to do

idk

maybe it's easier to shit on liberal arters

Lh96QHG.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Quit fighting about which degree is best.

College doesn't reach you shit.

Nobody can get jobs because the rich killed the middle class.

You're playing right into their hands.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

so big government should dictate what degrees people get instead of allowing market forces to work? ok, adolf stalin

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

So STEM pays more then? Interesting, but I wonder if people would cheap out their college by like double majoring in Latin Grammar.

If the cost becomes too low, universities would encourage English majors to get a fat chemistry degree, instead.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Oh you fucking shits

what is this?

Payday 2.

ah

my Payday 2 experience consist of waiting for a game for a few minutes, dropping, trying again, dropping, deciding fuck it let it run, watching an episode of House with still no game then saying fuck it and doing a solo game only to realize exactly how much fun that was and then exiting because man fuck that noise

Picture a full grown shiba inu but with floppy ears, then make it constantly drool whenever it's around water, then make it's paws much bigger, THEN drastically reduce its fine motor control abilities, give it the temperament of a toddler and stick it in a medium-sized bathtub

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I suspect the primary barrier to abuse there is not so much "is your research in the national interest" but "are you prepared to learn Japanese to an academically rigorous level, actually do the research legwork rather than sit back and mindlessly watch anime", that sort of thing

because the govt interest really isn't research inasmuch as inculcating soft power, anyway. you want competent people, not muppets.

the % of people who wind up in these programmes is so low that as far as wasting education budgets on frippery goes, I'd pick #1 sports #2 liberal arts as things to reflect upon first

aRkpc.gif
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Picture a full grown shiba inu but with floppy ears, then make it constantly drool whenever it's around water, then make it's paws much bigger, THEN drastically reduce its fine motor control abilities, give it the temperament of a toddler and stick it in a medium-sized bathtub

did you shower it, or did it shower you

aRkpc.gif
    also your government probably is paying someone to study anime right now

the horror

Lh96QHG.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

: ( i dint do it i promise

obF2Wuw.png
    or worse

business

Lh96QHG.png
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular

the horror

did you see mah botp

aRkpc.gif
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

/insert joke about US mathematics education here

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Right right

Lol America though, haha you're going bankrupt while my country pays me to study cartoons.

That's kosher is it? That gets to float by unchallenged?

Ok!

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Itt spool is shitty about someone's choice in higher education while his daughter is in a hippie liberal arts college

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

/insert joke about US mathematics education here

its not US mathematics its WE mathematics ffs

obF2Wuw.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

: ( i dint do it i promise

You can make recompense.

... By buying me stuff.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    ronya wrote: »

the horror

did you see mah botp

i did now

Lh96QHG.png
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 4.9

@Chanus will create the new thread
    @ronya is backup

This discussion has been closed.