As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Great Big E3 Thread of Announcements, Leaks, Hype, and Doom!

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    Enter the Gungeon might have the distinction of being the first on-stage demo that wasn't staged.

Did you miss the Uncharted 4 demo?

Joking?

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Please give some details on No Man's Sky. Please...

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Please give some details on No Man's Sky. Please...

A date goddamit.

• Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Enter the Gungeon might have the distinction of being the first on-stage demo that wasn't staged.

Joking?
    I'm sure that the guy playing Uncharter 4 knew what he was going to be doing. He just forgot to check his batteries. Or whatever.

This felt (and I could be wrong) as if he was actually playing this for the first time.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Nice, same day release for No Man's Sky, figured it was going to be later.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    There's only 10 people working on No Man's Sky?

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    It's really quite incredible that I actually don't care much for Legacy of the Void and I'm afraid what narmy writing is going to ruin the characters I loved since Brood War

Blizzard are the only company that disappoints me and I'll swear off buying their games but I'm right there on day one every time. Even after the primal zerg and really cheesy stories they put out.

With others it's wait for the review or quick looks but blizzard always get me.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Awesome, another No Man's Sky showcase that will explain Not A Lot about what it actually is

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

i didn't even realise it was that many. Hello Games is a tiny company.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

Joking?
    I'm sure that the guy playing Uncharter 4 knew what he was going to be doing. He just forgot to check his batteries. Or whatever.

This felt (and I could be wrong) as if he was actually playing this for the first time.

Staged, to me, is pretending to play the game while a video of it plays on-screen. Like those old Kinect demos at Microsoft's conferences, where they'd try to mimick the actions on screen but always screw it up.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited June 2015

Pretty sure they used to have less working on it and have expanded their team.

No valve?

danx on
    they forgot to announce Half-Life 3

Awesome, another No Man's Sky showcase that will explain Not A Lot about what it actually is

God damn it, still no details about the fucking gameplay.

This is really starting to feel like an evasion; maybe there is no gameplay and they're trying to hide it because the marketing is in too deep.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Yeah, not to mention the work on the Joe Danger games they've been doing (probably primarily while plugging away at NMS for a while) and the Flood that happened in their offices.

It's kinda why I find it hard to get down on them for taking a while and not announcing a date.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    So Microsoft and Sony got me super excited about 2016 and 2017. I'll finally have to pick up one or the other then. Despite being lackluster, the Nintendo presentation showed me games I'll be buying this year.

This is my thoughts. Great to see Sony and MS have stuff in the pipeline Nintendo has quite a bit coming out soon, so that took the sting out of the lack of a megaton. Overall, I think Nintendo showed good stuff in the near future we knew about, Sony showed some amazing stuff for later down the road, and MS struck a balance between the two.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    When it was announced it sounded like they'd be there.

Wasn't expecting HL3 though, just VR stuff. Maybe they figured Valkyrie was enough to show off VR or it's hard to sell VR without experiencing it.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular

This is really starting to feel like an evasion; maybe there is no gameplay and they're trying to hide it because the marketing is in too deep.

I think they showed all that there is yesterday. You hop in your ship and do whatever you want until you get bored of exploring, and then you're done.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

The Fourth Horseman did not appear.

He has to do a million fetch quests before he can use the horn to call the other three.

Then we wait for a sequel that never comes.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

I think they showed all that there is yesterday. You hop in your ship and do whatever you want until you get bored of exploring, and then you're done.

You upload all the stuff you found and THEN you're done.

content we know about:

-space exploration
    -planetary exploration
    -cataloguing alien species on said planets
    -resource gathering(i'm sure this has been mentioned)
    -space combat(vs AI and other players i think)

the problem is that the game doesn't really have a focus, or if it does its on the exploration rather than the combat and that's hard to sell in these demos. you have to play it, get a feel for it, see if you get sucked in or not. seeing someone else aimlessly wander the galaxy isn't really all that exciting.

It might just be you fly around the universe in your space ship optionally shooting stuff then you run around on planets optionally shooting stuff. That's the vibe it was giving off on the Sony demo. It doesn't look like anything with depth. It looks like a more go find stuff out there type thing.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Nice, same day release for No Man's Sky, figured it was going to be later.

Really? AWESOME. I was seriously struggling with the idea of having to wait.

Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Yeah, not to mention the work on the Joe Danger games they've been doing (probably primarily while plugging away at NMS for a while) and the Flood that happened in their offices.

It's kinda why I find it hard to get down on them for taking a while and not announcing a date.

yeah, he said there that they had hoped to announced a date at E3, but obviously something changed or they didn't hit a certain milestone in time. but at both conferences he said soon, so hopefully it wont be much longer before we hear something.

I liked that show at first (aside from the intro) but man, it dragged. Too long, too much talking. Next year they need to choose whether they want to do a conference or a stream show, not try to do both.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular

It doesn't take many people to make a game with no meaningful content.

I liked that show at first (aside from the intro) but man, it dragged. Too long, too much talking. Next year they need to choose whether they want to do a conference or a stream show, not try to do both.

starting an hour late didn't help either.

content we know about:

-space exploration
    -planetary exploration

the problem is that the game doesn't really have a focus, or if it does its on the exploration rather than the combat and that's hard to sell in these demos. you have to play it, get a feel for it, see if you get sucked in or not. seeing someone else aimlessly wander the galaxy isn't really all that exciting.

Yeah, but "run around procedurally generated space just to see what the RNG cooked up" is not going to provide long-term engagement. I mean, what we've seen:
    - Select a Dot
    - Fly in space around a planet
    - Land on a planet
    - Press a button to catalog nearby things
    - Shoot rocks for... collectables?

Why do we want to scan things? What's the benefit of uploading them? What do you do with the glowies that come out of the rock you shoot? What is the goal of space combat, and what effect does it have on the game/world/you? Are there ANY systems beyond "walk" and "fly"?

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular

content we know about:

-space exploration
    -planetary exploration

Yeah, but "run around procedurally generated space just to see what the RNG cooked up" is not going to provide long-term engagement. I mean, what we've seen:
    - Select a Dot
    - Fly in space around a planet
    - Land on a planet
    - Press a button to catalog nearby things
    - Shoot rocks for... collectables?

Why do we want to scan things? What's the benefit of uploading them? What do you do with the glowies that come out of the rock you shoot? What is the goal of space combat, and what effect does it have on the game/world/you? Are there ANY systems beyond "walk" and "fly"?

There are upgrade paths for ships and weapons. The objective sounds like it's to reach the center of the universe.

Here's a gameplay walkthrough from Polygon. The multiplayer is limited in that there's no combat or trading with other players. The whole game is about the experience of exploring, from the sound of it.

• ButcherButcher Registered User regular

Was never going to happen at something that small. If they do E3, it'll be on the biggest stage possible with the biggest audience, or just some ARG thing.

I do want Gabe to one day just walk up on stage and say "Half-Life 3 is available today" and drop the mic. It's too good of an opportunity to pass up, and would go down as the most legendary entertainment (not just gaming) release of all time.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    PC gaming show was pretty good, though there was more than a couple of guests who basically had nothing new to say or show(I'm looking at you, CliffyB) or that had stuff that was shown off in earlier conferences

I feel like they could have shaved a whole half hour of that presentation, easily.

Anyhow, yay Gears PC remake and No Man's Sky same day release!

Undead Scottsman on
    PC gaming show was pretty good, though there was more than a couple of guests who basically had nothing new to say or show(I'm looking at you, CliffyB) or that had stuff that was shown off in earlier conferences

I feel like they could have shaved a whole half hour of that presentation, easily.

Anyhow, yay Gears PC remake and No Man's Sky same day release!

Agreed. Cut it to one AMD segment, skip CliffyBs vaporware and Dean Hall stuff. They were just there because CliffyB is a big name and DayZ was crazy popular. The only thing I learned from CliffyB is there are a lot of multiplayer shooters coming out be they 3rd person or 1st person that borrow from Asian aesthetics. Day9 was awesome at prodding his guests but Dean Hall didn't really answer his question. It was nice to see though.

I liked it. Just bring back Day9 next time and tighten it up a little. It was neat.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    AMD was sponsoring the show, so there's no way we would have gotten less shit. I'm honestly surprised they kept it to two sequences and didn't do ads during the show.

Undead Scottsman on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I liked the PC conference! Very candid, very comfortable and informative. I liked pretty much all of it besides the Blizzard segment (for personal taste reasons) and those stupid AMD segments (although lol "GOT IT DONE" off-camera). I actually like CliffB as a designer, he's got a lot of smart ideas and concepts and he's an experienced industry guy. Down to earth and fun to listen to since he mostly sticks to and talks about what he knows.

Great to see Spencer pushing that Microsoft presence in support, would like to see them double down on it to leverage better stuff in their main conferences too!

Great casual conference to wind down on the Day 0 Shenanigans

BRIAN BLESSED on
    I'm still suspicious of Microsoft. I don't fully trust Windows 10 and tighter X1 integration; there's too many privacy options when it first installs, it feels more like an OS designed to collect data about me than to run my PC.

But, hey, games.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Butcher wrote: »

Was never going to happen at something that small. If they do E3, it'll be on the biggest stage possible with the biggest audience, or just some ARG thing.

I do want Gabe to one day just walk up on stage and say "Half-Life 3 is available today" and drop the mic. It's too good of an opportunity to pass up, and would go down as the most legendary entertainment (not just gaming) release of all time.

I kind of picture some 2 min + vid with intense calculations and chalk board theories going nuts and all coming together into this silly thing where you see E and 3 on the screen and the words Half LifE extend from the E and confirmed just slams on the screen.

Then followed by the aforementioned mic drop.

Then you win the internet.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    They're going to announce Half Life spinoffs like the agent management sim where you try to place the right man for the job into terrible situations and negotiate deals that potentially make his life harder while netting you a profit.

Or Borderworlds, where you manage Xen, build up an army, fortify your position, build defenses, and repel invasions from the connecting worlds.

Then they'll announce Half Life 4 and never speak of 3 again.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    After a couple weeks of back and forth it seems like I will be doing E3 after all. Just for this Wednesday though, that's the day that work is sending me. So those of you that will be going, feel free to hit me up with a PM or something.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    huh, that not-roller coaster tycoon game has more pedigree than most have recently. RCT is one of my favorite franchises of all time.

Without Chris Sawyer involved I can't get /that/ excited, but some hope of a good one is better than no hope with whatever atari is pooping out right now.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Alright, final show is done, so here's my grades:

Bethesda: B
    Microsoft: B-
    EA: F
    Ubisoft: C
    Sony: A+
    Nintendo: C
    Square Enix: B+
    PC Gamer: D

Sony had the conference to end all conferences. It wasn't perfect but those lows couldn't even begin to drag those highs down. And the craziest part is that even though they showed The Last Guardian and announced a FFVII remake, Horizon was probably my game of the show anyway.

Square Enix had a great show, which was a surprise. NieR 2 was one of my favourite announcements of the show and it's pretty much the perfect match of incredible story, incredible music and incredible gameplay. Hitman looks and sounds like a real Hitman game, which is awesome. Then KH3, Deus Ex and Just Cause 3 looked awesome too. So it was a really good show, weird ending though.

Bethesda didn't have that many games but they used them all really well. And even though I wasn't really interested in most of them, they entertained me from beginning till end.

I upgraded Microsoft to a B- because in hindsight, their show was much better than Ubisoft and Nintendo's, so it didn't feel right leaving them at C+. Good service announcements, remasters and indie showcases but the big games were pretty disappointing.

Ubisoft and Nintendo were thoroughly mediocre. Not good, not bad, just average. Couple of games to talk about for each but that's about it. Nintendo's obviously holding back for the NX and Zelda will be Twilight Princess'd.

I already explained PC Gamer above. It dragged and was a poor format. Day 9 was a good host though, so if they went the proper stream show route, he'd be a great host for it.

EA... How do you fuck up this badly with a lineup featuring Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, Need for Speed, Battlefront and a neat little game like Unravel? EA don't seem to have a clue at all what audience they're trying to cater to with those conferences. What a mess. And I'd love to know how much money they wasted flying Pelé in for absolutely no reason at all. What a waste of time and money.

This discussion has been closed.