As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Post-E3 Discussion Thread: Stuff Happened, I Guess

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
While E3 technically isn't over, most of the important stuff for us, the consumers, has ended. Did you miss a stream? Or do you simply want to relive the MAGIC of a press conference designed to sell children's toys? Either way, here are the videos:

The Main Players

Microsoft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXYA2kc52Gc

Sony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHK1u3VQDog

The Muppet Show Nintendo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPDPSezEkcY

The Supporting Cast

Bethesda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KApp699WdE

EA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHJMMMka8UE

Square Enix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQwlJzROy38

PC Gaming Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkk6HZ2Kp2w

This is the LAST E3 thread for the year, and we reserve the right to close it early if you all can't behavior yourselves. So have fun, and play nice.

YL9WnCY.png

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Butcher wrote:
    Was never going to happen at something that small. If they do E3, it'll be on the biggest stage possible with the biggest audience, or just some ARG thing.

I do want Gabe to one day just walk up on stage and say "Half-Life 3 is available today" and drop the mic. It's too good of an opportunity to pass up, and would go down as the most legendary entertainment (not just gaming) release of all time.

If I'm perfectly honest, at this point I just don't give a damn about Half-Life 3.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    What a fucking great time for videogames all round, you guys.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Butcher wrote:
    Was never going to happen at something that small. If they do E3, it'll be on the biggest stage possible with the biggest audience, or just some ARG thing.

I do want Gabe to one day just walk up on stage and say "Half-Life 3 is available today" and drop the mic. It's too good of an opportunity to pass up, and would go down as the most legendary entertainment (not just gaming) release of all time.

If I'm perfectly honest, at this point I just don't give a damn about Half-Life 3.

It'd be nice to see how it ended, but I'm not even sure Valve knows. The limits of the FPS have been pushed pretty hard, and I can't imagine paying full price for a single, stand-alone FPS in 2015 without a robust multi-player component. So yeah, I guess I'm in the same boat.

• ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    Butcher wrote:

You'll be hyped like the rest of the planet if it actually sees the light of day and you know it.

I was thinking how perfect it would be if HL3 comes out next year with Doom 4, it'd be 2003 all over again. Doom 3 and HL2 hit that year.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    As much as I want to see resolution to the story, I'm VASTLY more interested in seeing what kind of singleplayer FPS experience Valve would put out in this era. How will they adapt to or absorb modern trends? What new concepts will they bring to the table? Can they still get away with a silent protagonist?

That's honestly why I think it's taken so long. They apparently spent years trying to figure out what Half-Life 2 would end up being before settling on the path that lead to what we saw released; I imagine that conundrum is even greater for Half-Life 3.

That is also the reason why I'm sure they're making it (beyond all the other stuff that's leaked out or been hinted at); those are the kinds of pie-in-the-sky problems that you tackle when you no longer have to worry about time or money.

Undead Scottsman on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    As much as I want to see resolution to the story, I'm VASTLY more interested in seeing what kind of singleplayer FPS experience Valve would put out in this era. How will they adapt to or absorb modern trends? What new concepts will they bring to the table? Can they still get away with a silent protagonist?

That's honestly why I think it's taken so long. They apparently spent years trying to figure out what Half-Life 2 would end up being before settling on the path that lead to what we saw released; I imagine that conundrum is even greater for Half-Life 3.

That is also the reason why I'm sure they're making it (beyond all the other stuff that's leaked out or been hinted at); those are the kinds of pie-in-the-sky problems that you tackle when you no longer have to worry about time or money.

Half Life 3 is actually the steam controller.

It's been a weird dev cycle.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Butcher wrote: »
    I was thinking how perfect it would be if HL3 comes out next year with Doom 4, it'd be 2003 all over again. Doom 3 and HL2 hit that year.

That was a crazy year for shooters.

Doom 3, Half-Life 2, FarCry, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2: Echos, Painkiller

Also WoW, MGS3 and GTA: San Andreas, but those aren't shooters.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Ahahah holy shit. I had no idea Half Life 2 came out THE DAY AFTER Metroid Prime 2.

I just remember saving up all my money for my own copy and going with my brother, and us buying our copies together.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I am pretty pumped FF7 is only a timed exclusive, I woulda been pretty bummed to miss out on that one.

Also been messing with BC 360 games on my One, having my old 360 games with game DVR/Screenshot capabilities is so badass.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It strikes me funny how E3 is so professional now. For a while there in the late 90s and early 2000, it got out of hand.

edited June 2015
    Butcher on
  • BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    Is it just me, or is barely anyone showing actual games being played live on stage in all the E3 showfloor streams? Worrisome!

• BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    Half Life 3 won't come out until Valve figures out how to do VR properly. Just sayin'.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Butcher wrote:

I still believe HL3 will be a premium experience when it's out but it's also quite clear that it won't release in the next few years, so a any drivel about "HL3 canfimred!!!" in the present is just people goofing off.
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Butcher wrote:

It'd be nice to see how it ended, but I'm not even sure Valve knows. The limits of the FPS have been pushed pretty hard, and I can't imagine paying full price for a single, stand-alone FPS in 2015 without a robust multi-player component.
    laugh.gif

That Horizon trailer looked very nice though, I'm kinda sad it'll stay a PS4 exclusive? :(
    Ooh, and the additional Firewatch exposition did a very good job building hype! :D Looking forward to that indeed.

Panda4You on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    @HadjiQuest Wolfenstein: The New Order/Old Blood?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    What a fucking great time for videogames all round, you guys.

Seriously. I've been a bit cynical about some of the big announcements that haven't hit home with me, but it's honestly great that so many people have had something to get pumped up about. This has been a great set of conferences with surprise gifts for everyone. Super happy about that.

forumsig.png
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    The Fractured but Whole. Enough said.
    Gaming just keeps getting better and better.

Oh, and we have this:
    6gorJ8N.gif

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Nier 2 and The Fractured But Whole make me so happy.

FF7 makes me happy but cost me $20.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    My total thoughts for E3 this year are mostly positive. Most everyone had stuff shown that I'm very interested in.

* Battlefront and Mirror's Edge 2 are at the top of my 'must buy' list.
    * Starfox, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Mario Maker, Wooly World will scratch my Nintendo itch this year.
    * Mario & Luigi Paper Jam looks absolutely amazing to me.
    * The Last Guardian doesn't look great to me, but I'm really glad it's not dead for those who have waited for it all this time.
    * FF7 is probably my least favorite FF on the PS1, so I'm not one who was dying to see it remade. But still awesome news for fans of the game. It's too bad that it's probably barely in pre- production, and knowing Square, it won't be finished for four years or so.
    * Shenmue 3 was a dream come true, but once again we won't see it come to fruition for 4-5 years.
    * Ratchet & Clank looks amazing.
    * Beyond Good & Evil 2 is deader than a doornail it seems. :(

All in all, it was a good show and I'm quite happy.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Oh, and we have this:
    6gorJ8N.gif

I need to know if they actually hired Henson's workshop for this. The other puppets in the intro reminded me of some of theirs as well.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Best part of the PC conference for me was the beginning with the Rising Storm 2 announcement. The RS team did a great job with the RO2 add-on, and 'nam themed games are usually pretty fun. The odd thing is that it looked a lot worse than Bad Company Vietnam.

Oh, and we have this:
    6gorJ8N.gif

I need to know if they actually hired Henson's workshop for this. The other puppets in the intro reminded me of some of theirs as well.

The answer is yes.

Ok, so I have a very important mission for anyone who is willing to accept it.

I need someone to go to Japan and steal the Miyamoto puppet. I wants it.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Aaaaa

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Ok, finally sitting down to watch the Squeenix presser, the last one for me. JC3 looks kinda fun, I guess.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Ok, finally sitting down to watch the Squeenix presser, the last one for me. JC3 looks kinda fun, I guess.

How the fuck do these grappling hooks even fucking work?
    By the rule of cool.
    But why do they work?
    Just Cause.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited June 2015
    Definitely going to grab Tomb Raider, I liked the first.

I'm up to them playing the FF7R trailer again.

*edit* Also, I didn't catch the first time that the narration on the FF7R teaser is basically "Hey, calm the fuck down everyone, we're remaking it, shit."

Houn on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    I am pretty pumped FF7 is only a timed exclusive, I woulda been pretty bummed to miss out on that one.

Also been messing with BC 360 games on my One, having my old 360 games with game DVR/Screenshot capabilities is so badass.

Imagine if the XBO's reveal resembled this years conference rather than whatever Kinect and TV related junk they launched with. Given how slow games have been to come out on the new consoles I think BC would have sold a lot of units.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)

*edit* Also, I didn't catch the first time that the narration on the FF7R teaser is basically "Hey, calm the fuck down everyone, we're remaking it, shit."

It also kind of felt like a warning, as if saying "We're gonna do this but it might not be what you *think* you wanted."

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So, I just saw the Hoth Battlefront video...

HRNGH!

I'm.. I'm ready to believe! Amazon preorder goooooo!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Butcher wrote: »

That was a crazy year for shooters.

Doom 3, Half-Life 2, FarCry, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2: Echos, Painkiller

Also WoW, MGS3 and GTA: San Andreas, but those aren't shooters.

Don't forget about Tribes: Vengeance.

Ok, yeah. We should forget about Tribes: Vengeance.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

It also kind of felt like a warning, as if saying "We're gonna do this but it might not be what you *think* you wanted."

Agreed. There's gonna be a ton of speculation about it. The camera, I think, will be the thing that opens up or reduces the odds of huge deviations from the original.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Saw a couple of stories so far that the FF7R is going to deviate from the original. And also that it has been in production for a bit now (apparently since the last troll reveal).

So those are things.

I personally am fine with it deviating from the original. If I want the original, I would play that. A fancy new look isn't the only thing that would make a new game worthwhile.

I bet there would be a lot of people who hate the fact its not at least 99% loyal to the original though.

Kai_San wrote: »
    Saw a couple of stories so far that the FF7R is going to deviate from the original. And also that it has been in production for a bit now (apparently since the last troll reveal).

So those are things.

I personally am fine with it deviating from the original. If I want the original, I would play that. A fancy new look isn't the only thing that would make a new game worthwhile.

I bet there would be a lot of people who hate the fact its not at least 99% loyal to the original though.

My only concern is that they release FF7: Grimdark Emo Edition. Because Advent Children was way too whiny.

I'm going to start a rumor.

"Hey guys, friend of mine was at E3 and said that FF7 was going to be made with muppets!"

I'm going to start a rumor.

"Hey guys, friend of mine was at E3 and said that FF7 was going to be made with muppets!"

I'd play it.

So those are things.

My only concern is that they release FF7: Grimdark Emo Edition. Because Advent Children was way too whiny.

FF7 is held in such a high regard by the majority of modern gamers that grew up with it that there is no way it lives up to their expectations. It'll be a dark door they never wished they opened.

I'll be willing to play it. FF7 isn't my favorite, but it's a fun RPG. I'm interested to see what changes they make to the story and overall feel.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

So those are things.

FF7 is held in such a high regard by the majority of modern gamers that grew up with it that there is no way it lives up to their expectations. It'll be a dark door they never wished they opened.

I'll be willing to play it. FF7 isn't my favorite, but it's a fun RPG. I'm interested to see what changes they make to the story and overall feel.

Totally agree, and it's why I wasn't screaming at the top of my lungs when it was announced. I will play it and try to enjoy it for *what it is* but going in with rose-tinted glasses will just make things bad.

Humans love to relive great memories but it's never ever ever the same. Let the memories be great and build new ones is what I say.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

So those are things.

Yeah, that's what I think is going to happen. But this is the bed that Square made. Perhaps they will succeed? IDK.

My favorite thing from this E3 is hands down Fallout Shelter. Love this thing.

This plays in my head all day just watching them do their work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaC0vNLdLvY

edit: That and "Sabre Dance"

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”