As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Post-E3 Discussion Thread: Stuff Happened, I Guess

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Saw a couple of stories so far that the FF7R is going to deviate from the original. And also that it has been in production for a bit now (apparently since the last troll reveal).

So those are things.

I personally am fine with it deviating from the original. If I want the original, I would play that. A fancy new look isn't the only thing that would make a new game worthwhile.

I bet there would be a lot of people who hate the fact its not at least 99% loyal to the original though.

My only concern is that they release FF7: Grimdark Emo Edition. Because Advent Children was way too whiny.

FF7 is held in such a high regard by the majority of modern gamers that grew up with it that there is no way it lives up to their expectations. It'll be a dark door they never wished they opened.

I'll be willing to play it. FF7 isn't my favorite, but it's a fun RPG. I'm interested to see what changes they make to the story and overall feel.

Totally agree, and it's why I wasn't screaming at the top of my lungs when it was announced. I will play it and try to enjoy it for *what it is* but going in with rose-tinted glasses will just make things bad.

Humans love to relive great memories but it's never ever ever the same. Let the memories be great and build new ones is what I say.

Guaranteed, there will be some big kerfuffle over a 'pivotal' (incidental) scene that fans insist was changed, but when someone compares to the original will be discovered to play out exactly the same. And they will still insist.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Saw a couple of stories so far that the FF7R is going to deviate from the original. And also that it has been in production for a bit now (apparently since the last troll reveal).

So those are things.

I personally am fine with it deviating from the original. If I want the original, I would play that. A fancy new look isn't the only thing that would make a new game worthwhile.

I bet there would be a lot of people who hate the fact its not at least 99% loyal to the original though.

My only concern is that they release FF7: Grimdark Emo Edition. Because Advent Children was way too whiny.

FF7 is held in such a high regard by the majority of modern gamers that grew up with it that there is no way it lives up to their expectations. It'll be a dark door they never wished they opened.

I'll be willing to play it. FF7 isn't my favorite, but it's a fun RPG. I'm interested to see what changes they make to the story and overall feel.

Totally agree, and it's why I wasn't screaming at the top of my lungs when it was announced. I will play it and try to enjoy it for *what it is* but going in with rose-tinted glasses will just make things bad.

Humans love to relive great memories but it's never ever ever the same. Let the memories be great and build new ones is what I say.

Guaranteed, there will be some big kerfuffle over a 'pivotal' (incidental) scene that fans insist was changed, but when someone compares to the original will be discovered to play out exactly the same. And they will still insist.

She lives in the $20 DLC.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    South Park - Fractured But Whole's name didnt make sense to me, because I had only read about it, the coin first dropped when I talked to a friend about it, "Hey you getting fractured butthole?" ... "I'm getting a what?"

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Also, the current Square is extremely different than the Square of when FF7 was made.

Not sure how much I trust modern Square with remaking any of the PS1 era RPGs. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular

So those are things.

....as a ZOMBIE!

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options

So those are things.

BREAKING NEWS: Global economy crippled '$20 at a time', Square Enix announces self as global power, "We now own 95% of the world's money" says CEO.

forumsig.png
  • Options

So those are things.

In order to get this DLC though, you have to breed and race 15 Gold Chocobos. Then go to the southernmost island on the map to find and old man that will trade those chocobos for a super phoenix down. After that you go back into Shinra, fight the zombie Turks and use the super phoenix down on the empty Jenova capsule. Once done, you'll find a small flower at the bottom of it that glows with an strange light. Take that to her house and plant it in her garden, wait 40 real gameplay hours, then you should find an entire flower field has grown. After that go back to where she died, shut the game off, then go to the PSN store, download the dlc, and think about where you went wrong with life.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Did anyone see anything from Scalebound?

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Did anyone see anything from Scalebound?

No, MS announced ahead of time that Scalebound and a few other games would be shown at Gamescom, not E3.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Dunno if it's been discussed, but... have you noticed Capcom's lineup?

There's Street Fighter V, and then literally every other game they have is a previous-gen remaster.

I mean, I know this is Capcom we're talking about, but goddamn.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    cloudeagle wrote: »

There's Street Fighter V, and then literally every other game they have is a previous-gen remaster.

Let's see... they sold off the latest iterations for one of their flagship franchise into exclusivity just so it could exist.

So them selling remasters to try and refill your coffers so maybe just maybe they can make a new one again instead of going Konami is kind of excusable, imo.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Yea, I think Capcom is in some dire straights. When Sony has to fund one of your pillars just so it can be made, there is something fundamentally wrong in your company.

I'm happy Sony is funding it though, because I really want Street Fighter V so badly. :D

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

Let's see... they sold off the latest iterations for one of their flagship franchise into exclusivity just so it could exist.

So them selling remasters to try and refill your coffers so maybe just maybe they can make a new one again instead of going Konami is kind of excusable, imo.

I keep hearing people saying that... was there anything solid that indicated Sony caused the creation of SFV, or was it an existing project that got moneyhatted?

I mean, you'd think Capcom would be independently working on something new and not just remasters, right?

....right?

• Options
    There was an interview with someone at Capcom a while back that answered a question with Street Fighter V by saying that he wanted it to happen, but right now Capcom couldn't come up with the budget to make the game.

Fake edit: Just found it, it was a twitter thing:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    dat Radeon Fury X tho

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    South Park - Fractured But Whole's name didnt make sense to me, because I had only read about it, the coin first dropped when I talked to a friend about it, "Hey you getting fractured butthole?" ... "I'm getting a what?"

best story ever tell every christmas

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

So those are things.

yeah i think there's a lot of people who are more nostalgic for the feeling of playing it for the first time. that's not something you can recreate. i'm glad people are getting what they want, and i'm honestly amazed that it took Square Enix this long, but i imagine that at least a few will be disappointed by the end result.

either they'll change nothing and it'll feel old and dated or they'll change to much and it wont be the game people remember and love.

its still gonna sell a shit tonne though.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Also, the current Square is extremely different than the Square of when FF7 was made.

Not sure how much I trust modern Square with remaking any of the PS1 era RPGs. :P

I love when people keep saying this because it just shows they haven't been keeping up with the "current" Square news. Your statement holds true up until about a year and a half ago, when everything changed and some pretty substantial things happened in S-E's development mentality.

Also they are bringing back a lot of the original FF7 team for this, specifically because they didn't want to leave it to the next generation to develop (their words). They've already stated they are keen on keeping a lot of the "wacky" stuff in, even going to far as to specifically mention the crossdressing bit. They also however mentioned that it would be a bit odd to have a perfectly identical game (just prettier) on the same platform as it's predecessor so they will be updating the story and game in some ways while remaining as true as possible to the old one. Essentially they want there to be reasons to play both.

Either way it seems to be something they are taking very seriously and something they have said they have been trying to figure out how to do for many years now.

Given how FFXV is shaping up after playing it in the demo I think there is the potential for them to knock this out of the park.

Apparently we'll get more info this Winter. Either way though I think the majority of people will be satisfied, but you'll always have the few but loud that will shit on it regardless because it didn't live up to their expectations.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    There was an interview with someone at Capcom a while back that answered a question with Street Fighter V by saying that he wanted it to happen, but right now Capcom couldn't come up with the budget to make the game.

Hm... that's back in 2013, though. It's more than possible that since then someone at Capcom said "fighters are relatively cheap in this era of stupid AAA budgets, right? Let's do more of those."

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

So those are things.

Since before the troll reveal. A very reliable leaker (who is even more reliable now) leaked that it was in development right before E3 2013, so it's been in the works for a while, probably ever since Nomura was taken off Versus XIII/XV. Though pre-production probably took a long time for a game of that size.

But yeah, I'm happy with it deviating from the original, even if there are hardcore fans who bitch and moan. I said this in the FF thread but being too faithful to the original while introducing new mechanics is how you get a bad remake like MGS Twin Snakes, where the game is just a broken mess. The goal should be REmake, a remake that stays faithful to the original while completely redesigning it at the same time.

Yeah, there were a few signs from Ono back in 2013 that things weren't going well and Capcom weren't putting much funding into his games.

Capcom indicated that they were going to put out a lot of remasters after REmake HD's huge success, so it's no surprise that's the direction they're going. Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are probably the only series they've got that they'll back properly.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options

Hm... that's back in 2013, though. It's more than possible that since then someone at Capcom said "fighters are relatively cheap in this era of stupid AAA budgets, right? Let's do more of those."

I doubt that. Fighting games are very labor-intensive to make. There's more animations per character (especially sync animations for throws, etc), more backgrounds, more playtesting... etc.

If anything they're in the same ballpark.

• Options
    Yea, I think Capcom is in some dire straights. When Sony has to fund one of your pillars just so it can be made, there is something fundamentally wrong in your company.

I'm happy Sony is funding it though, because I really want Street Fighter V so badly. :D

i wonder if that means MS will just buy Dead Rising right out(or try at least). the series has been pretty good for them and it'd be a shame to let it languish just because Capcom are in a hole.

• Options
    edited June 2015

Sony stepped in and started funding the game after those comments, so not really. Everything Capcom have done since then has been a continuation of their previous strategy, which is F2P games (Deep Down and Dragon's Dogma Online), remasters, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter.

Also, fighters aren't even remotely cheap. Skullgirls characters cost $200k+ EACH and according to the devs, they heard Street Fighter IV characters each cost $1m:
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/25/skullgirls-characters-cost-250k-each-to-create-heres-why-squigly-is-cheaper/

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Capcom should release a match-3 Street Fighter game on mobile where you beat other fighters by matching punch/kick/specials. Throw in some IAP for playable characters and you have yourself a fucking cash cow for a bit.

Use that money to fund proper games and get back on their feet.

• Options
    Capcom should release a match-3 Street Fighter game on mobile where you beat other fighters by matching punch/kick/specials. Throw in some IAP for playable characters and you have yourself a fucking cash cow for a bit.

So... a sequel to Puzzle Fighter?

• Options

Sony stepped in and started funding the game after those comments, so not really. Everything Capcom have done since then has been a continuation of their previous strategy, which is F2P games (Deep Down and Dragon's Dogma Online), remasters, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter.

Also, fighters aren't even remotely cheap. Skullgirls characters cost $200k+ EACH and according to the devs, they heard Street Fighter IV characters each cost $1m:
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/25/skullgirls-characters-cost-250k-each-to-create-heres-why-squigly-is-cheaper/

But again -- has anyone at Sony said they specifically asked Capcom to make a Street Fighter for them?

And I realize fighters are labor-intensive, but we're talking about a time when the average AAA budget is cracking $100 million. $200k apiece per character is peanuts compared to that. Even if SFV winds up being 10 times the budget of Skullgirls, that's still pretty darn cheap by comparison.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Street Fighter X Puyo Puyo when.

• Options

Oh well.. it looks like they already climbed that branch. Well shit. I guess they better start hosting Kickstarters, lol.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Personally, I am cautiously optimistic about FFVII. There's a lot of things in the original that haven't aged well that has nothing to do with the graphics and everything to do with the writing having been done in the 90s, not to mention some of the, erm, charming translation issues. My hopes are these:

> That they keep the spirit of the original combat system, but update it and make it more dynamic. Instead of the simple back row middle row front row thing, they could now have dynamic positioning throughout the battle. Keep the ATB turn based system yes, but incorporate some of the more interesting possibilities from FFXII and XIII in terms of how you handle your mans on the battlefield. Absolutely keep the Materia system, but this gives them the opportunity to refine and improve upon it, and to fix some balance issues (the Enemy Skill materia was BROKE AS HELL in the original and I loved it, but it was still bROKE AS HELL)

> Keep the more fun goofy shit like Palmer being punted by a truck and surviving, the date with Barrett, and the infamous crossdressing scene, but update them a little for more modern sensibilities. I do think the crossdressing bit can be done without making it transphobic (like dear some pearl clutching liberals: crossdressing gender performance has been A Thing forever and isn't inherently hateful to trans people! ) or homophobic, and same with the Barrett date. Can we also please have Barrett be canonically bisexual? like, that'd be rad as hell.

>> In a perfect world tbh I'd actually love to have a Bioware style DATE EVERYONE, HAVE EVERYONE DATE EVERYONE system so I can play pretty princess shipping games with all my favorite FF characters, but I think that'd be too complicated and take too much away from the actual game. My Yuffie / Vincent and Tifa / Aerith fantasies will have to stay on Fanfic.net.

> Do keep Cloud as a snarky asshole and not some woobie angstbucket. I mean he's a woobie angstbucket toward the end of the game but in the beginning he's sort of a hilarious tryhard cooldude.

I do think the goofy stuff will stay in. People bitch about Advent Children being too dark and angsty but they forget how Reno and Rude were basically a slapstick comedy duo (and how refreshing it was to have them slapstick comedy duo-ing the silver haired bishie jrock stars to death)

ANYWAY sorry this is the E3 thread not the Final Fantasy thread TL;DR -- I think there's reasons to be optimistic and reasons to even be cautiously excited about how they might remix and remake this game.

~OTHER SHIT~

> what's mass effect andromeda even about like they just went HEY MASS EFFECT and that was it I can't be excited unless I know more. Which ending is canon even? Buh?

> oh look kingdom hearts 3

> YARN

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options

I love when people keep saying this because it just shows they haven't been keeping up with the "current" Square news. Your statement holds true up until about a year and a half ago, when everything changed and some pretty substantial things happened in S-E's development mentality.

Also they are bringing back a lot of the original FF7 team for this, specifically because they didn't want to leave it to the next generation to develop (their words). They've already stated they are keen on keeping a lot of the "wacky" stuff in, even going to far as to specifically mention the crossdressing bit. They also however mentioned that it would be a bit odd to have a perfectly identical game (just prettier) on the same platform as it's predecessor so they will be updating the story and game in some ways while remaining as true as possible to the old one. Essentially they want there to be reasons to play both.

Either way it seems to be something they are taking very seriously and something they have said they have been trying to figure out how to do for many years now.

Given how FFXV is shaping up after playing it in the demo I think there is the potential for them to knock this out of the park.

Apparently we'll get more info this Winter. Either way though I think the majority of people will be satisfied, but you'll always have the few but loud that will shit on it regardless because it didn't live up to their expectations.

We'll see. I hope you're right, for the sake of the fans of FF7.

Either way, I still hold that Square is a shell of its former self. Then again, their SNES/PS1 quality and output really couldn't be matched with todays dev costs. Just my personal opinion though.

I will say that their merging/absorbing Eidos was one of the best things that could happen for them. Even though they make nothing I want to play, their stuff seems to be of high quality and they keep their dev cycles pretty small.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Can't believe we didn't get anything about Zelda U, a bit upset about that.

I really want that new Fire Emblem game though. Both (the SMT crossover too), if I'm being honest.

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Oh well.. it looks like they already climbed that branch. Well shit. I guess they better start hosting Kickstarters, lol.

Capcom announce Kickstarter, asking for $2m to go into production on "Like, a MegaMan or something? What do you guys want?"

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options

But again -- has anyone at Sony said they specifically asked Capcom to make a Street Fighter for them?

And I realize fighters are labor-intensive, but we're talking about a time when the average AAA budget is cracking $100 million. $200k apiece per character is peanuts compared to that. Even if SFV winds up being 10 times the budget of Skullgirls, that's still pretty darn cheap by comparison.

I don't know what you're trying to get at here. Ono said that Sony's helping to fund and develop the game, what else needs to be said?

Since when is the average AAA budget cracking $100m? Most of those figures are adding in marketing budgets, which is often as big or even larger than the development budgets themselves and fighting games aren't immune to that either.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I'm a bit bummed out...I mean there are games but besides Rock Band I still don't see me dropping PC anytime soon (read: the next 6 months) for a console. Maybe I should just deal with the fact I like PC gaming/tinkering more these days.

And Nintendo...I want to be excited by things, but the more impressions I read about Star Fox, the worse it sounds. At least Xeno is gonna be out this year.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Personally, I am cautiously optimistic about FFVII. There's a lot of things in the original that haven't aged well that has nothing to do with the graphics and everything to do with the writing having been done in the 90s, not to mention some of the, erm, charming translation issues. My hopes are these:

> That they keep the spirit of the original combat system, but update it and make it more dynamic. Instead of the simple back row middle row front row thing, they could now have dynamic positioning throughout the battle. Keep the ATB turn based system yes, but incorporate some of the more interesting possibilities from FFXII and XIII in terms of how you handle your mans on the battlefield. Absolutely keep the Materia system, but this gives them the opportunity to refine and improve upon it, and to fix some balance issues (the Enemy Skill materia was BROKE AS HELL in the original and I loved it, but it was still bROKE AS HELL)

> Keep the more fun goofy shit like Palmer being punted by a truck and surviving, the date with Barrett, and the infamous crossdressing scene, but update them a little for more modern sensibilities. I do think the crossdressing bit can be done without making it transphobic (like dear some pearl clutching liberals: crossdressing gender performance has been A Thing forever and isn't inherently hateful to trans people! ) or homophobic, and same with the Barrett date. Can we also please have Barrett be canonically bisexual? like, that'd be rad as hell.

>> In a perfect world tbh I'd actually love to have a Bioware style DATE EVERYONE, HAVE EVERYONE DATE EVERYONE system so I can play pretty princess shipping games with all my favorite FF characters, but I think that'd be too complicated and take too much away from the actual game. My Yuffie / Vincent and Tifa / Aerith fantasies will have to stay on Fanfic.net.

> Do keep Cloud as a snarky asshole and not some woobie angstbucket. I mean he's a woobie angstbucket toward the end of the game but in the beginning he's sort of a hilarious tryhard cooldude.

I do think the goofy stuff will stay in. People bitch about Advent Children being too dark and angsty but they forget how Reno and Rude were basically a slapstick comedy duo (and how refreshing it was to have them slapstick comedy duo-ing the silver haired bishie jrock stars to death)

ANYWAY sorry this is the E3 thread not the Final Fantasy thread TL;DR -- I think there's reasons to be optimistic and reasons to even be cautiously excited about how they might remix and remake this game.

~OTHER SHIT~

> what's mass effect andromeda even about like they just went HEY MASS EFFECT and that was it I can't be excited unless I know more. Which ending is canon even? Buh?

> oh look kingdom hearts 3

> YARN

Refresh my memory on how the cross dressing scene was transphobic. I remember it as Cloud actually looked damned good, so much so that the tailor was inspired to create once more because of it. It has been awhile though so I don't really recall what you are referring to.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options

I don't know what you're trying to get at here. Ono said that Sony's helping to fund and develop the game, what else needs to be said?

Since when is the average AAA budget cracking $100m? Most of those figures are adding in marketing budgets, which is often as big or even larger than the development budgets themselves and fighting games aren't immune to that either.

When did Ono say that? Is there a link?

And the AAA budget is absurdly high now. Though keep in mind that's a partial list, as most companies are keeping them under wraps. Here's another list, though it's also incomplete and often includes marketing budgets.

To put it in perspective, The Witcher 3 only cost $32 million to make, and the reaction is that it was dirt-cheap.

Back on topic, there's a reason the AAA studios announced fewer games, and that announced AAA games that aren't sequels/remakes/revivals have practically become unicorns. They're just so freaking expensive, so everyone's circling the wagons.

• Options
    The opening to FF7 is like identical to a 9/11 conspiracy. I hope that they keep all of that intact.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I think they should have just made a sequel to FF7, rather than a remake of the original.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    well that was a damn good E3 i must say. not every conference was great, but each one did have at least one thing that grabbed my interest, and while i know that wont be true for everyone i think you'd be hard pressed not to find a few games in the mix to look forward too.

decent good first showings from Bethesda and the PC Showcase. Bethesda were tight and focused though they could maybe use a bit more to show off, we'll see how things go next year with them. the PC Show could have done with being a bit tighter, but it was a nice change of pace from the other conferences, so i can forgive it's sins. plenty of room for both to grow, evolve and refine.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    It's weird how we say that "was" a damn good e3 when technically it opened today.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet