As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adventures in Cartography. [NSFH-scroll]

TurnpikeLadTurnpikeLad Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Artist's Corner
OK, I am not an AC regular but I had a great idea for a thread today. Basically, all through ninth grade (eight years ago now) I was doodling on this map. I guess my intention was to use it for a role-playing game, but that never happened and I think the real reason for drawing it was because it is fun to draw maps, to make up stories ofr the different places. But the thing was, a bunch of my friends also had made these huge maps at one time or the other. Maybe it's a phase or something.

Anyway, the idea is, maybe some PAers have similar stashes of forgotten cartography in some drawer somewhere. If you do, scan em and post em here. We can compare and contrast.

Click on small image to get to big one.

old_map_small.gif

TurnpikeLad on

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Oh man, I have so much shit like this lying around. I'm gonna go dig it all up.

-SPI- on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What kind of paper is that drawn on?

INeedNoSalt on
  • TurnpikeLadTurnpikeLad Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It's a thick paper, almost card stock, but it's textured. It came in like three- or four-foot-long pieces; I just cut off like 14 inches of it for my map. It was originally pure white but it eventually got yellow and stained.

TurnpikeLad on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ah man, looking at that map makes me feel like a young kid again... not that I'm old or anything, but yeah... here comes the nostalgia. I was always a fan of world maps in games like Lufia (Lufia II in particular), and Golden Sun etc.

Ahhhhhh *daydreams*

If I had any of this stuff of my own, I'd dig it up, but I unfortunately don't :?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • TROGTROG Registered User new member
    edited October 2006
    Basically, all through ninth grade (eight years ago now) I was doodling on this map.

LOL, you said "doodle".

TROG on
    I just TROGged in my pants.
  • drxand?drxand? Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    thats aweeesooome :D
    my friend ian has a huge stash of maps hes made with different civilizations, and going into the type of people who would live on each continent. I never really did any myself, but i've always loved looking at them, i'd scan some of his, but uh.. yeah

drxand? on
    edited October 2006
    Alrighty then!
    I managed to find one map (or rather maps) of a world called "calgierth" it was on several pages so I frankenstein'd them together with a handy sketch of what the world should look like I made when I did these (back in High school as far as I can make out) had to redraw some coastlines to make it fit and add in the secret mysterious seabase in the bottom corner (which was only on the sketch map)

calgierthcopyaf0.th.jpg

Hope that's readable... Oh and it's supposed to say "MANAR FISSURE" screwed up a little there and left some crap obscuring that text.

-SPI- on
  • TurnpikeLadTurnpikeLad Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That is rather cool SPI. It's totally different from mine - your lines are much more confident. Do you remember why you were making it? Were there stories that you made up to go along with the places you were drawing?

I've noticed that often maps that people make are a bunch of islands in a big ocean. I wonder why that is? Maybe it's easier to compose a world made of islands piece-by-piece than a large continent?

And I know this is a bit particular but I have a nagging question about your world: How does everybody get by with just one plot of farmland on one of the islands?

Anyway, I found another piece of work from my old sketchbook. This is a zoom-in on the northwestern part of the far eastern continent in my map. I did it without reference to the world map so there are some major inconsistencies.

Ilcera.jpg

TurnpikeLad on
    edited November 2006
    I've noticed that often maps that people make are a bunch of islands in a big ocean. I wonder why that is? Maybe it's easier to compose a world made of islands piece-by-piece than a large continent?
    Probably because the earth is like that. I guess most people would use a map of the earth as reference so you end up with a large ocean with a few continents and islands.
    And I know this is a bit particular but I have a nagging question about your world: How does everybody get by with just one plot of farmland on one of the islands?
    :lol: It's not that they're the only farms It's that that area of the world is pretty much all agricultural, Most of the towns and villages would have farm areas but that part of the world is just massive farms.

The scale of my map is pretty small really.

It was a world I was making for a PnP rpg, it was like a cross between DnD and something like Secret of Mana. When I was looking for the maps I found all the world info and sketches of monsters and so forth. A big stack of stuff (only half of which is explained properly :lol:)

-SPI- on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Those maps are super-cool. I really like the circle crater mini-ocean thing in the first one. Is there an evil tower in the center?

Actually, the whole reason I started the thread about maps in G&T is because I'm planning to make this huge watercolor imaginary map on posterboard and put it up on my wall. Thanks for the inspiration!

Qingu on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Don't fucking necro-post.

Grifter on
This discussion has been closed.