As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Its a great big [Steven Universe] out there!

RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
Welcome to the Steven Universe thread!
8sSzwZT.gif

If you're a veteran to the show, we ask you to keep major plot points properly formatted to prevent spoilers. If you're unsure, well, err on the side of caution please!

Meanwhile, to introduce any newcomers to this show, a quick glance at wikipedia would tell you that Steven Universe is "an American animated television series created by Rebecca Sugar, former storyboard artist, writer, and composer for Adventure Time" that premiered on Cartoon Network on November 4, 2013. As the show begins, it covers the oft magical adventures (and sometimes more mundane daily shenanigans) of said Steven Universe, a young boy who inherited the gem of his mother, Rose Quartz. This makes him part of a group known as the Crystal Gems, a group of mystical warriors who draw upon the power of their own gems in order to protect the Earth from anything that would threaten it.

You can see Rebecca Sugar explain the premise herself here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fh9tz_nKYYU

A quick guide to the Crystal Gems, the main characters:

Steven
Steven_Universe.png
The titular character, Steven is a goofy, inherently kind hearted, and boundlessly optimistic kid - which makes him the youngest member on the team, and thus the one with much to learn about his universe. The other gems as such are both his family and his teachers, and through them he must come to understand what it means to be both human and gem as he struggles not only with typical issues of mortal maturity but the magical powers that lie latent inside himself.

Garnet
vaF9vMY9.png
A disciplined warrior and leader of the Crystal Gems, she is coolness personified and as such often serves as the group's foundation by being so level headed despite being sparse with words. Physically powerful, her magical powers emanate from the red gemstones in her palms, which she uses to form giant gauntlets for battle.

Amethyst
8hUwAhEC.png
Impulsive, passionate, and wild, Amethyst is a stark contrast to Garnet. Blatantly joyous and carefree, Amethyst often chums around with Steven in playful ways closer to that of a sibling than a parent. Her gem is embedded in her chest, where she pulls a studded whip when its time to get serious.

Pearl
5RyksjHF.png
Intellectual and rigidly rules minded, Pearl is the one most prone to bouts of motherly concern for both Steven's safety and future. She lives for structure and logic, and can be easily flustered when anything flies in the face of that (most often in the form of Amethyst's spontaneous behaviors). To fight, she smoothly manifests a long spear from the gem in her forehead she wields with the fluidity of a graceful dancer.

So, now you're thinking "Ok, so this is all well and good, but why should I watch?"
The show comes highly acclaimed for a reason. It is a well written (and thoroughly planned) program that manages to evoke more than just laughter from simple comedy. Further, much like Adventure Time before it, the world opens up as it goes on, and the history of the characters can easily keep one glued to the screen even when an episode is merely a plain day breaking up an often fantastical lifestyle. I'll be the first to admit that it may not click right away - but know that it only gets stronger. So why not give it a chance?

You may just find yourself enthralled in Steven's universe.
JhD6iz1.gif

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I think Amethyst is more of a contrast to Pearl, more so than Garnet.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    pa5ap0wek9gk.jpg

• FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    This show is magical.

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I think Amethyst is more of a contrast to Pearl, more so than Garnet.

Amethyst and Pearl obviously butt heads more often due to their own contrast, but that doesn't mean she doesn't contrast Garnet as well. (I'd argue even more so than Pearl, honestly.)

Garnet is a forward thinking, level headed, calm, team oriented person who
    is literally the embodiment of a highly functional loving relationship.
    Amethyst is a short sighted, hot headed, rowdy, individualistic person who
    is internally suffering from her difficulty feeling as a loved part of the group at all.

...that said, to be completely honest I wrote it that way in large part because the show opening goes Garnet -> Amethyst -> Pearl more so than any idea of which gem Amethyst contrasts harder.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Been thinking about Pearl and her relationship with Rose and Steven.
    I really hope that lady gets her shit sorted out before the kid his puberty. It's not a good situation being in love with your own adopted son and she keeps having episodes where she acts like Steven is Rose.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I really hope that lady gets her shit sorted out before the kid his puberty. It's not a good situation being in love with your own adopted son and she keeps having episodes where she acts like Steven is Rose.

Hmm
    I actually don't really think Steven will go through traditional puberty

They've already shown that his age is tied directly to his mental age

Unless Steven drastically changes his life outlook he will probably be a kid forever

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

Hmm

Unless Steven drastically changes his life outlook he will probably be a kid forever
    He clearly ages naturally, regardless of his magical abilities to bounce around that manifested that one time.

Hmm

He clearly ages naturally, regardless of his magical abilities to bounce around that manifested that one time.
    does he? I don't think we really know that. We know he celebrates birthdays, but have we ever seen baby Steven? I had kinda been operating with the idea that Steven now is basically how he was when he was born/rose made him

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    That's a pretty big assumption based on little to no evidence.

Not really!
    We know that gems don't age and that their bodies are projections. Steven is half-human, but mostly that seems to mean that his body has to follow human biology rules and that he has to eat, breathe, and sleep. But he can still do the things a gem can do that alter his body, like fuse and shapeshift.

To me that means that his body is just as much as an illusion as the other gems, just that his form has harder biology rules to it. So if his gem makes him an old man, his heart still has to work harder due to being 'older' and he could die. But Given that he has control over what his form is, I don't see why he would naturally age

Assuming he ages like a normal boy is just as much of an assumption as him not doing so

we really don't know either way, I just think its a fun theory

While we're on assumptions:
    I don't think that Pearl was necessarily romantically involved with/into Rose. If some of the speculation about Pearls being a kind of servant class is right, then someone treating her like an equal could be enough to inspire fierce loyalty and devotion without necessarily being romantic!

edited June 2015
    Not really!
    We know that gems don't age and that their bodies are projections. Steven is half-human, but mostly that seems to mean that his body has to follow human biology rules and that he has to eat, breathe, and sleep. But he can still do the things a gem can do that alter his body, like fuse and shapeshift.

To me that means that his body is just as much as an illusion as the other gems, just that his form has harder biology rules to it. So if his gem makes him an old man, his heart still has to work harder due to being 'older' and he could die. But Given that he has control over what his form is, I don't see why he would naturally age

Assuming he ages like a normal boy is just as much of an assumption as him not doing so

I dunno
    that seems pretty

250px-083Farfetch'd.png

Goatmon on

Steven
    Not really!

I dunno
    that seems pretty

250px-083Farfetch'd.png

OH YEAH WELL YOURE JUST A
    250px-079Slowpoke.png

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    About Steven being half gem/human,
    Lapis was sealed to a physical object (magic mirror) and couldn't get back to her original form until Steven forcibly removed her gem from the mirror. You can probably see where I'm going if someone really wanted Rose back.

Not really!

While events so far show that Steven can alter his physical form, he is still growing and maturing at normal human boy rates. We know he was a baby when he was born and the time that has passed seems consistent with his age so it stands to reason that he'll grow like any human child unless he acts upon that process with gem magic.

If he were an eternal youth or was born as a pre-adolescent boy that would have been brought up by now.

Not really!

While events so far show that Steven can alter his physical form, he is still growing and maturing at normal human boy rates. We know he was a baby when he was born and the time that has passed seems consistent with his age so it stands to reason that he'll grow like any human child unless he acts upon that process with gem magic.

If he were an eternal youth or was born as a pre-adolescent boy that would have been brought up by now.
    Do we know he was a baby? I genuinely don't remember that. If he was thats fine and that totally disproves my theory.

I did not notice this in the most recent episode.
    Amethyst can use her hair to cut limbs off her enemies!
    9v6WrLE.jpg
    I thought she just used the whip!

9v6WrLE.jpg
    She seems to have some sonic the hedgehog-ish properties. She can also spin-dash!

edited June 2015
    9v6WrLE.jpg
    She seems to have some sonic the hedgehog-ish properties. She can also spin-dash!
    Now I'm curious about whether she naturally had those abilities or if she developed them after playing video games with Steven or Greg!

TankHammer on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I only see the whip making contact?

Her hair is just moving cause she put her whole body into the swing

I only see the whip making contact?

Her hair is just moving cause she put her whole body into the swing

She's not holding her whip

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    This show is about a kid being raised by a neurotic ballerina, Stacker Pentecost, and Rainbow Dash's id, who turns out surprisingly well.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Oh yeah, her hair being the same color as the background threw me off

• Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    "Garnet, master of comedy" might just be my new favorite line in this whole damn show.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    FYI, Sworn to the Sword/Rising Tides, Clashing Skies are up on Amazon right now if that's where you get your Steven Universe!

Seems like they're skipping Reformed, though?

The Betgirl on
    Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    This show is about a kid being raised by a neurotic ballerina, Stacker Pentecost, and Rainbow Dash's id, who turns out surprisingly well.

Calling Garnet Stacker Pentecost actually kind of sells her short

the other two are on the money though yeah

"Garnet, master of comedy" might just be my new favorite line in this whole damn show.
    NAywzIF.jpg
    All comedy is derived from fear.

Garnet has some incredibly good lines that often at first seem like non-sequitur, but actually fit her super well

I genuinely think she's the best written character in the show

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Latest two episodes are on Amazon

Pretty excellent. No new story beats with Pearl in the sword training episode, but I thought it was great just regardless

The Ronaldo episode was pretty funny, although, I think we're good for a long Ronaldo break

I want Ronaldo Fryman to develop into a less awful character now that he realizes how much he needs the gems.

After aa healthy break of course.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    9v6WrLE.jpg
    Now I'm curious about whether she naturally had those abilities or if she developed them after playing video games with Steven or Greg!
    Jasper also did a spin-dash when she was fighting Garnet. It's probably a common ability for the warrior template they're both seemingly built from.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    @Chincymcchilla WRT Steven's age.
    While he can change how old he is due to shapeshifting powers, you also said that his appearance is tied to his "mental age" So while he is a fun-loving and carefree spirit there is nothing to show that he won't mature mentally. In fact we see this happening throughout the show already. When the show begins he is kind of goofball and actually causes most of the issues the Gems have to deal with. But then we get episodes like the Test where we see Steven maturing, or like the episode where he avoids Connie because he doesn't want to involve her in all the crazy stuff that just happened to him.
    My point being that as he continues to "grow-up" mentally, which includes the on-going conflict with Homeworld Gems his physical appearance should change to reflect these changes.

8EVmPzM.jpg
    That's true
    I just don't think he ages naturally, or at least that's my theory

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    huh, the amethyst episode where she got her new form is still not up? that's weird. they really love putting them out of order on itunes/amazon

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Steven is mortal in a way the gems are not. That's why he almost died from letting his age fluctuate, it's why he needs food, oxygen, water, sleep, and shelter, while the gems do not.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I blame steven bomb, it's probably attached to an episode airing later this week

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    that makes zero sense since reformed is explicitly pre steven bomb as it explains amethyst's design in the new opening

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Ha! Yeah you're right. Huh weiiiird.

One of the remaining episodes could still take place before Connie the Swordfighter. (Or even before Reformed)
    No one has confirmed these are airing in order

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    One of the remaining episodes could still take place before Connie the Swordfighter. (Or even before Reformed)
    No one has confirmed these are airing in order

no, that's not the problem

reformed last aired a month or so ago, and was a lone episode so it wasn't released to itunes/amazon

reformed/sworn to the sword should have gone up in a pair, not sworn to the sword/renaldo.

even if they pair this out of sequence episode with reformed, it will be placed after these episodes in itunes/amazon (they never fixed political power and the others ones being out of sync)

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
This discussion has been closed.