As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nier and/or Automata] Romance Delivered Through Melee

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited October 2023 in Games and Technology
In a world where we get Shenmue 3, an FF7 remake, and The Last Guardian, this still blows my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH26BfSo7co
SQUARE ENIX ANNOUNCES NEW TITLE IN THE NIER SERIES
All-Star Development Team Formed for NieR New Project

LOS ANGELES (June 16, 2015) – SQUARE ENIX® today revealed NieR® New Project (temporary name), a new third-person action role-playing game (RPG) and follow-up to the 2010 cult hit NieR. Offering a fresh blend of action and RPG gameplay styles, NieR New Project is currently being developed in collaboration with PlatinumGames Inc. exclusively for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system.

The game’s all-star development team consists of producer Yosuke Saito (DRAGON QUEST® X / NieR), director YOKO TARO (Drakengard® / NieR), character designer Akihiko Yoshida from CyDesignation, Inc. (FINAL FANTASY® XIV / BRAVELY DEFAULT®), game designer Takahisa Taura from PlatinumGames Inc. (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance), and composer Keiichi Okabe from MONACA, Inc. (TEKKEN / Drakengard / NieR). PlatinumGames Inc. will be amplifying the action-oriented combat and building a beautifully diverse visual experience that will fully harness the graphical power of the PlayStation®4 system.

More information regarding the game will be unveiled this Fall.
NieR New Project is now in development exclusively for the PlayStation®4 system and is not yet rated.

Imagery:
hopefxe.jpg
XAYJknL.jpg
V0HhkE3.jpg
HeDTTWL.jpg
ivbQBAt.jpg
2ygauFU.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    there is only one thing to say about htis

FUCKING LOL

also

HI PLATINUM LOL ps i luv u guys lets snoodle

obF2Wuw.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I am so fucking happy about this.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    I'm going to wake up soon.

I'm going to wake up VERY soon.

...why am I not waking up?

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I don't. I can't. Ah.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Holy shit not only did they get Platinum games

They got Akihiko Yoshida for character design

This might actually end up being the best game ever

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I don't actually know what is going on this E3.

But

Squeenix has found the one thing, the one fucking thing that gets me 100% on board with them all over again. (Well, Drakengard 4 would've done it too, but fuck it, NieR was a better Drakengard 2 than the actual Drakengard 2 was, so this is probably just as fucking close)

Why isn't it Fall yet?

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Can we start wildly speculating yet?

Who's that in the trailer? Young NieR people in Japan got, brand new character, or an existing one...?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    My mind went to
    Yonah

first, but I heavily doubt it's gonna be that simple.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    People are speculating it's Kaine because of, uh, reason.

wVEsyIc.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Yeah, uh...it's hard to talk about Nier without huge spoilers.
    Yoko's very clear that Yonah dies no matter what, so there's a fairly low chance of it being her. Kaine is more likely, going by the post-post-post-post game short story stuff.

Although it could be the 'new' Nier...

uyvfOQy.png
    My mind went to the same place first too, but you're right it can't be that simple.

I really hope Toro keeps it with the spirit NieR had, and not like Drakengard 3. D3 was just way to "wacky" and stupid at a lot of parts.

NieR was always creative, and gave you great fun moments, and crazy departures in gameplay, while keeping the tone pretty much the same overall.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    I really really want this game to go into the post-Drakengard pre-Nier stuff. It is amazing.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    If I only have a PC, PS4, and Vita, there's no way I can play Nier 1, right?

Here's hoping they port it to PS4 to build hype for this.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    D3 goes to some pretty dark places. I wouldn't call it wacky.

Site is live:
    http://www.jp.square-enix.com/nier-new/
    jQi9ZAg.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
    D3 went to dark places, and I loved that, but then you'd get a random boob squeezing or something far too often for me to keep taking it seriously.

NieR tackled issues that were very adult, and very graphic - without ever being so stupid as just doing stuff for what seemed like either shock value or fan service. It was odd and jarring to me.

I'm just hoping it's more in line with the tone of the original, and Drakengard 3 was because Toro was writing for that universe where that stuff happens in the games more (I have no idea, never played Drakengard 1 or 2).

Yeah, Drakengard 3's tone was way more in line with D1 and 2 than NieR and I fully expect that was on purpose.

That said, I really need to replay D3 to see the stuff because the only things I really remember along the 'wacky' lines were
    Decadus and the masochism angle getting played a little too...well, wackily and the jokes about Octa's dick.

Which are just kinda 'eh' to me.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    NieR still has the single best pre-title screen opening sequence of any Square Enix game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8XTbluLDyE

Right when you booted the game up for the first time you know this was going to be something awesome and different.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So Nier 1 spoilertalk:
    Yonah dies in the end? I was under the impression that she lives and Kaine takes care of her after Nier disappears himself.

To not really get into it, things depend on the Ending.

If they do a sequel, it's pretty much guaranteed to be after Ending D. But this could be a prequel as well.

To not really get into it, things depend on the Ending.

If they do a sequel, it's pretty much guaranteed to be after Ending D. But this could be a prequel as well.

To me:
    I'm thinking Prequel because the machines and bases aren't rusted out and there's still buildings standing.

But again, that is probably too obvious.

I meant after ending D. I couldn't imagine them making a sequel that takes place after one of the lesser endings.

A prequel could be pretty fucking rad though.

LD50 wrote: »
    I meant after ending D. I couldn't imagine them making a sequel that takes place after one of the lesser endings.

Well...
    It wouldn't be the first time. Drakengard 2 was a sequel to Drakengard's A ending. =P

Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Well...
    It wouldn't be the first time. Drakengard 2 was a sequel to Drakengard's A ending. =P

I feel that was more of a executive mandate than Yoko Taro's decision. (Especially since he didn't even direct 2).

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    So excited for this. I think it might be my favourite announcement of this year's E3, as I at least figured TLG would re-emerge soon and trusted Verendus when he said a FFVII remake was in early development, but Nier 2?! All I had was hopes and dreams.

My only worry is if they can't get the writers from the first game back. Because if you mix their writing, Taro's direction, Okabe's music and Platinum's game together, you should really get the perfect RPG.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Well...

I feel that was more of a executive mandate than Yoko Taro's decision. (Especially since he didn't even direct 2).

Oh definitely. That is likely 100% why Drakengard 2 wasn't a very good game too.

I'm just saying, anything could happen, nothing is out of the question.

A game that takes place during the appearance of Caim Red Eyes? Be still my heart.

wVEsyIc.png
    So Nier 1 spoilertalk:
    Yonah dies in the end? I was under the impression that she lives and Kaine takes care of her after Nier disappears himself.

It's been awhile but I think the reasons are:
    Yonah Gestalt (the soul of her) and Yonah Replicant (the one that was kidnapped at the beginning, the MC's daughter) were separated because she was ill and the MC wanted to find a cure. So they kind of split her and "froze" her until a cure was developed, at which point they'd reunite the Gestalt and the Replicant, cure her, and she'd be well.

But because of the MC's actions in destroying Grimoire Noir, there's no way to reunite them. Which they never would anyway, because it's be a zillion years and there's of course no cure because everyone is dead.

You killed Popla and Devola, who were the only thing that could build new Replicants - so Replicant Yonah's are done for after this current one.

The current one is slowly deteriorating because any Replicant from someone with black scrawl will eventually die.

And Gestalts that have black scrawl turn into Shadows -- I think? But either way Gestalt Yonah isn't doing well, and I believe on a long enough timeline EVERY gestalt will be a shade, without the Shadowlord intervening.

You know, the guy you just killed.

So basically by the end of the game:
    You can't keep them split up, because Gestalt Yonah will absolutely die or become a Shade, and Replicant Yonah is going to die. And you killed the people who can make her again.

And if you reunite them, she'll die of the disease she had thousands of years ago within a few hours.

So yeah - everything you did was for nothing and made everything way, way worse.

cj iwakura wrote: »
    A game that takes place during the appearance of Caim Red Eyes? Be still my heart.

Don't do this to me.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So Nier 1 spoilertalk:

Yonah Gestalt (the soul of her) and Yonah Replicant (the one that was kidnapped at the beginning, the MC's daughter) were separated because she was ill and the MC wanted to find a cure. So they kind of split her and "froze" her until a cure was developed, at which point they'd reunite the Gestalt and the Replicant, cure her, and she'd be well.

But because of the MC's actions in destroying Grimoire Noir, there's no way to reunite them. Which they never would anyway, because it's be a zillion years and there's of course no cure because everyone is dead.

You killed Popla and Devola, who were the only thing that could build new Replicants - so Replicant Yonah's are done for after this current one.

The current one is slowly deteriorating because any Replicant from someone with black scrawl will eventually die.

And Gestalts that have black scrawl turn into Shadows -- I think? But either way Gestalt Yonah isn't doing well, and I believe on a long enough timeline EVERY gestalt will be a shade, without the Shadowlord intervening.

You can't keep them split up, because Gestalt Yonah will absolutely die or become a Shade, and Replicant Yonah is going to die. And you killed the people who can make her again.

And if you reunite them, she'll die of the disease she had thousands of years ago within a few hours.

So yeah - everything you did was for nothing and made everything way, way worse.
    And in the end, the sole survivor from the game's cast is Beepy.

But, you know, Beepy's a cool guy. I'm happy for him. Hooray for Beepy!

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    i...you...

what?

but

i mean

*falls over*

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Never change, you crazy diamond.
    "Drakengard was my first game as director, and we were actually told a lot by our advisory board to do retakes and make changes and honestly, I said, screw this, I'm not making another one," Taro said.

"I thought, with Nier, I'm going to make a normal game. That's what I tried to make, a normal game, though people think it's very dark and somber. But for me, that's normal."

He added: "The way I look at original Nier is like your mom's home cooking: it may not be the best, but it's okay, you're comfortable with it. Members of the media told me the original Nier is like a puppy someone threw out. It's cute in a way, but there's something wrong in a sense, and you can't help but love it even though there's something missing and you can't put your finger on it.

"But now we're working with Platinum games, and with Yoshida and Okabe, and we feel we have these great ingredients now. Is it going to be too perfect? We have all these great chefs, if you will, working together, and now, is it going to be missing that thing that made it so endearing to our fans? But after thinking about it, we think, we're just going to try it and see how it goes."

"Please play on PlayStation 4," he said in response to a question about what Xbox players can expect.

"We are going to maintain that multiple playthrough idea for the new project, but in terms of the save file deletion thing, we probably won't do it, since we did it in the original one and want to do new things," Taro explained. "But we will have multiple playthroughs involved. But you know... we're still in early phases of development. Maybe we will delete your save files."

The new Nier will, however, retain the tone of the original game and the Drakengard series. It will keep its mature subject matter and approach to dialogue and presentation, not shying away from hyper-violence and sexualization.

wVEsyIc.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My heart fluttered when they first announced this, but I'm finding it harder and harder to continue being excited.

Drakengard 1 and 2 were shit. Awesome concept, but they played horribly.

Nier comes along and... holy shit, this team might actually really know how to make a game!

Then Drakengard 3 comes along and seems to suggest that Nier was just a damned fluke.

Here's hoping that with Platinum here, the actual game will be good.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    You don't need to hope.

That's the point.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    You don't need to hope.

That's the point.

Also, you know. It's a Yoko Taro game.

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment"

chiasaur11 wrote: »
    So Nier 1 spoilertalk:

And in the end, the sole survivor from the game's cast is Beepy.

But, you know, Beepy's a cool guy. I'm happy for him. Hooray for Beepy!

Huh?
    I'm 100% positive that Beepy was 100% murderized

So Nier 1 spoilertalk:

I didn't think new replicants were ever made. I was under the (very possibly incorrect) impression that the replicants will live forever until they break or are reunited with their gestalts. Yonah was sick, yes, but this is because everyone was sick. Every human on earth was going to die of the white chlorination (well, except maybe Nier himself). Yonah replicant was dying because she was starting to suffer from 'the black scrawl' which is simply the gestalt separating from her body prematurely.

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    p weird that they would make a sequel to the best written game of all time with gameplay from the best overall gameplay devs of all time

cool tho

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/17/the-new-nier-game-will-bring-back-characters-from-the-first-game/

“The setting is connected, but it doesn’t mean that it is connected story-wise,” says Yoko. “The game takes place in the future from the first game, so it’ll be okay to start playing with this title. Actually, those who played the previous game might play this one and get confused thinking it’s a sequel.”

Next, Famitsu asks whether we’ll see characters from the previous Nier.

“Not everyone will make an appearance, but some of them will,” he responds. “However, they won’t appear as the main characters.”

uyvfOQy.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah...I kind of like that they got Platinum because to me it seems like they paid attention to feedback.

"Hey guys, we love your games but they play like absolute shit."

"Really? Well, let's get Platinum to do our gameplay parts. Those guys are good."

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Any returning character is in for a rough time.

PLA wrote: »
    Any returning character is in for a rough time.

Taro Yoko's writing this. Everyone is in for a rough time.