As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weight Loss and Fitness: Repent, for Swimsuit Season Is Nigh

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Can you listen to music or podcasts?

Maybe run inside?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am using a treadmill. It seems to work pretty well. I just have to hit the higher or lower speeds when it tells me to jog or walk.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Kamar wrote: »
    I've tried C25K three or four times, never made it more than a few days. Running is for any amount of time is a miserable experience for me, I get super stressed for some reason--hyper aware of the weather, the fit of my clothes and shoes, scenery going by, burn of my muscles, joints, etc., etc. I take about 20 seconds to start hating everything everywhere forever.

Maybe it's a sensory overload thing, although I usually don't have trouble with that.

Yup I hate absolutely everything about running. I ran 5 days a week in the army and got quite good, but I still hated every minute of it.

Rowing machines however are the best, if you work out at a gym with one of those I recommend substituting with that.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Running is not for everyone

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Running is definitely temping because it's free, but definitely not the most engaging, or even the most effective.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    it works for me, but doing exercise you hate is a sure way to set yourself up for failure.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My lady's found out that she loves running and I think she's nuts but I've seen firsthand that those people exist so rock on with your mysterious lower body pains and expensive shoes, that's what I say.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I haven't tried running in months because of persistent achilles pain/inflammation issues that won't go away. I should really go to physio

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I can't run with my neck all jacked up because of the impact, but I kind of miss it. I mean, I hate running, but it makes me so much less stabby.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Running is awful
    I love running

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    rock on with your mysterious lower body pains and expensive shoes, that's what I say.

Are we back on to weightlifting?

Also my shoes are so cheap.

(...I really should get some proper shoes).

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Woo. 5 lbs down in a little less than a month.

Starting to keep track of my calories/macros again was a great decision. First time in a long time where I feel momentum with the weight loss.

5 down, 15 to go.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I gotta track macros and shiz closer again

But right now I am on vacation and eating whatever and not really exercising but it's like the first week I've taken off since July 2014 so I am okay with that

I'm still being fairly active I suppose

poo
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    is 30 minutes on a stationary bike 5 days a week considered light exercise?

FqmsaJ6.png
    Probably depends a bit on your intensity but yeah I'd say so

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Well. It's the end of weak 5 in C25K for me tonight. I've been dreading this workout since I started the program. I guess we'll see if I can actually finish it.

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I have absolutely no idea what I weigh right now, because I never keep scales in the house ever (way too many disordered eating years) but since I've just starting tracking my food - not even restricting, just actually being mindful of what I eat - I have a pair of shorts that were barely tolerably snug when I bought them which are now comfortably alllllmost loose even during my gross bloaty period days
    I know it isn't huge, or anything, but that was pretty cool to find out

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Finished the full 20 minutes. I kind of can't believe I just did that.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    On my way to my first race, aaaaaahhhh!!

Up early enough to get in a really long run before brunch! But I got a phone call scheduled in half an hour, darn it. Shoulda pushed her back to 11.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    so, been managing to keep consistent with a fitness routine, three times of week
    with breaks for depression or anxiety days

getting to the point where it's becoming sort of a slog, and I'm feeling unmotivated whenever it's time to do the thing
    been thinking about what a friend told me, and finding activities that are fun

so that's what I've been starting to do
    I did fencing for a couple years, so I've been finding substitutes for a foil and, honestly, goofing off in my room
    plus silly dancing and bullshit like that, because I have nothing to be embarrassed about

self love is key <3

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    I did it! 5k in 32.30 , I'm really glad about that!!

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I've scaled back what I eat all around and I'm down a hole on my belt.

I think the biggest factor was breakfast, which used to be a big two egg egg sandwich, and is now either one egg and some bacon, or two eggs, and a coffee. I also started buying half portions at lunch and drinking more water.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    So, My Fitness Pal's redesign has been really helpful in that it's less "YOU DONE FUCKED UP" if you exceed your calorie goal. It still doesn't let you hide your calories, though, but I've been able to track my food for almost three weeks now without falling down my usual "coming in drastically under my calorie goal feels like victory" rabbit hole.

Makes it a lot easier to keep my sodium in check and get enough protein if I can use MFP without it encouraging the brain spiders.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Two breakfasts so far this morning. Possibility of a 3rd.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Now to do it in 32:00 :D

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Kana wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »

Now to do it in 32:00 :D

Thats the next goal! :D

Question about myfitness pal.

When first setting up it ask you for current weight and goal (So 185lb and 165lb for me).

A month has passed and now I actually lost 5lbs, so should I change my current weight?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yep

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Question about myfitness pal.

When first setting up it ask you for current weight and goal (So 185lb and 165lb for me).

A month has passed and now I actually lost 5lbs, so should I change my current weight?

Yeah, if you use the app exclusively, it won't auto update your new calorie goals as you lose weight. If you, every once in a while, put it in on the website, it should prompt you to update your goals.

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    So did a Tough Mudder this past weekend, was actually pretty easy* so I may have trained too much :). Pretty happy to be the only one on my team to succeed in all the monkey bar type obstacles, and I ended up being the bottom of the human pyramid every time.

*Exceptions: the Tear Gas obstacle was one of the most distressing things I've ever done in my life and a few of the tunnel crawls shredded my knees and gave terrifying claustrophobia.

I really want to do a tough mudder but the whole electric shocks/tear gas/ice water turns me off it.

losing weight is boring and lame, somebody trade metabolisms with me

Steam ID
    losing weight is boring and lame, somebody trade metabolisms with me

But working out is pretty cool!

well yeah, but calorie deficits impede that

Steam ID
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    why my body so sore i ain't even gym'd in like a week

poo
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Any runners here? Any advice for someone who ran cross country around age 17 (poorly) till he wore out his ankles (tendonitis) and never really rehabbed them but might want to take up running now at 26? Oh, and hella high arches, are stores that do that whole gait analysis thing real or bogus? Looking to just to couch to 5k and call it a start.

edited June 2015
    I don't know about the specifics of in-shop gait analysis, but there has been a lot of science done on running/walking technique, not just for athletes but for rehab and that sort of thing. So provided the shop is actually applying that kind of knowledge, then I imagine it would be of significant benefit (maybe best thing is do your own research and ask some pointed questions to see if they know what they're doing?).

Also my sister has very high, rigid arches and said that for her, decent running shoes are an absolute must. Me and my fairly flexible feet get away with cheap thin-soled shoes (though I'm probably doing horrible things to my knees), if you've got a history of lower leg injury then i'd say better safe than sorry on that one.

tynic on
    I started a year ago, I'd say just go out there and do it - start just going round the block, walk a bit, run a bit, walk a bit, run a bit. Maybe take some music, if you like, just do what you can, don't force yourself to do lots - just try to enjoy it. It won't be too fun at first when you're learning your natural pace/what is comfortable for you etc, but you'll feel good after, and in time feel good during!

I also have really high arched feet, I just bought a pair of trainers for people with high arches, they were £25 so not expensive and have been great - the sports shop I went to asked me what my arches were like and pointed out what was good for my type of feet, so that was handy.

My sister has tried the gait thing with the trainers that "correct" your run after having them analysed but didn't end up wearing them because it hurt her feet so much, because it was changing how you naturally run, and for her it wasn't worth it. I would guess if you take it in slow sections first your ankles will be okay, maybe if it does hurt them still after a while (and it will for the first run or so, because you're adjusting to the new impact) maybe look at strengthening them or something.

Inevitability someone will say running may not be for you as its not for everyone, and they're right, but its worth a go!

This discussion has been closed.