As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Our furry companions (nsf56k)

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    She went peacefully and without any pain and we were holding her when she went and that's the best we could do for her. I always put up a front that I didn't like her and that she was Heathers cat and not mine but I loved her a bunch.

awwwwwwwwwwww <3<3<3

I had a fat fat kitty named P-Fat years ago. She got cancerous lumps in her ample squooshy belly and one day I came home and she was hiding in the closet, glassy eyed and panting. I had some friends drive me to the vet, totally assuming this would just be another quick check up and maybe a pill prescription. Nope, the doctors took one look at her and asked if I wanted to be in the room when she went.

It was like I was crushed under a truck. I know I said yes and I held her and apologized over and over when she went and then I don't remember anything. I know my friends found me on a highway leading back home crying like a 5 year old.

Pets!

edit: ah fuck super depressing totp. sorry all. here's an adorable kitten

kitten.jpg

Magic Pink on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    lando blep

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    If those are your hands

THEN WHO IS HOLDING THE CAMERA?!?!?!

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Bionic eye

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    If those are your hands

ghosts

zkHcp.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    If those are your hands

Google Glass

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Sheri wrote: »
    Those aren't my hands :winky:
    G-g-g-ghost hands!

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    scout has concluded that lando should visit him

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah well I'm going to bribe Iris and Mila to visit Haechi :(

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    scout has concluded that lando should visit him

Look how excited he is!

krTaXoB.jpg

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Somebody visit Miley so she can bark at them

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I wanna come visit all of y'all's pets. And you guys too, I guess.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Ollie and Tucker never had a harness nor leash on them, but they've been staring out the doors lately and have wandered onto the deck a bit. So I tried to see if they'd be okay with a lease.

Closest I had was attaching my Fitbit to them. Ollie hated it. Tucker wiggled out and bit it.

So I guess no walks for them!

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I have no furry companions.
    My girlfriend has two cats though, and I think I may be allergic to them.

I want a dog.
    And a ferret.

Or two.
    Of both.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Well this thread name was definitely a risky work-click.

Ollie and Tucker never had a harness nor leash on them, but they've been staring out the doors lately and have wandered onto the deck a bit. So I tried to see if they'd be okay with a lease.

Closest I had was attaching my Fitbit to them. Ollie hated it. Tucker wiggled out and bit it.

Cats yes?
    You can't let them decide it's not okay to use a harness that's gonna lead to issues later. Try positive association and get them used to it.

edited June 2015

Cats yes?
    You can't let them decide it's not okay to use a harness that's gonna lead to issues later. Try positive association and get them used to it.

I believe he's referring to his ferrets. Same advice probably holds though.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

Cats yes?

I believe he's referring to his furrets. Same advice probably holds though.

Oh then he just needs a higher level gym badge
    I'm so sorry

Cats yes?

I believe he's referring to his furrets ferrets. Same advice probably holds though.

Oh then he just needs a higher level gym badge
    I'm so sorry

Whoops.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I'll see if I can get some good pics of Archie tomorrow for y'all

It's a dog-eat-dog world out there

In my kitchen

fgQGEaH.jpg

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    z5MiC7z.jpg?1
    my girlfriend just got a new dog, a frenchie named bling! (she didn't name her)

• VegemyteVegemyte Registered User regular
    V1y9qdH.jpg

Biggie Smalls loves the camera a little too much sometimes.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular

Cats yes?

You'd only put them on a leash to facilitate walks outside for the cats enjoyment. For transportation there's cages.

If you're cat is activly hanging himself because he's spazzing out like mad because he doesn't handle the leach well, you take that leash back to the store.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    oh ferrets..

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Biggie Smalls: still an awesome name for a corgi

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Thread needs more Cmdr Peppard and cwunch

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Well this thread name was definitely a risky work-click.

At78bYo.jpg

broken image link
    What's the Thread's opinion on shock collar training?

Lola doesn't respond if I give her a tap for being bad most times she thinks its a game. I've tried the "Tsst" stuff and again she thinks it's hilarious.

I just don't know if I could handle zapping her even if it's safe

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular

Lola doesn't respond if I give her a tap for being bad most times she thinks its a game. I've tried the "Tsst" stuff and again she thinks it's hilarious.

I've found that my tone of voice is the best way of getting my dog to respond, and my dog is dumber than a bag of bricks.

uuhku6fdgvku.jpg

I don't believe physical punishment is a humane way of training animals.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    90% of the time she does what I ask but sometimes she flat out ignores commands regardless of tone because she's too excited and I'm at a loss on how to handle that.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

My parents used a shock collar on their yellow lab, and it worked pretty well. He wasn't responding to other training methods, would run after other dogs and people while outside, so they used the collar for a while. I'm not sure how long it was used, but now they can have him outside without the collar and he listens really well.

I don't know how I feel about shock collars in general though. I don't really like the idea of using some kind of corporal punishment but I can't argue that it does get results out of some dogs. I have shocked myself with the collar just to see what it's like, and even on the highest setting it wasn't exactly painful but it certainly wasn't a pleasant feeling.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    My parents used a shock collar on their Jack Russel (now sadly departed from extreme old age). Mostly they used it to keep him in the yard with the invisible fence, a few times to try and correct behavior.

All it taught him was to build up a good running start before leaving the yard to minimize the shock. It never worked to correct behavior.

However when they took him to an obedience class it worked wonders. Maybe try that?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    It's probably just going to take time and patience. The best time to work with your dog isn't when they're excited and barking or carrying on but when everything's calm and relaxed. Start with a couple of 5-10 minute training sessions where you train the dog to start responding to the basic commands: sit, stay, lie down. You can use treats as reinforcement but I prefer to not use treats or only rarely so the dog doesn't expect them. As the dog gets better trained you can extend the time out to 20-30 minutes at a time. And then the dog should start responding better when they're excited.

And here's our dogs:

wamgp7wzhvvu.jpg

Trinity is the shepherd/collie mix and Lily is the hound mix.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    For Haechi - who admittedly is only vaguely trained, okay, yes - if he does something VERY bad I put him in "time out" which is just a room or place where he can't be with me. If I can't do that then I say "time out" and I ignore him for a few minutes, turning away from him etc. I find he's pretty good at determining body language.

My dog is like... Quite Not Smart, though.

I tried for months to get him to do the "don't eat the food yet" trick and I think his puppyhood of starving mountain dogness overrides any inclination to not EAT FOOD IMMEDIATELY.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
This discussion has been closed.