As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hes evolving into a...[Star Fox]?

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited June 2015 in Games and Technology
So the game was released just minutes ago, any thoughts?

R-wings have legs now apparently. Instead of just flying, you can move though land levels, perhaps ways of destroying giant ships?

The game's name is Starfox Zero.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    edit: Nooooo way! I don't believe it!

*explodes*

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    if it didnt have the Wiiu screen in the video I would have thought this was on the 3ds...

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Watching the Treehouse play the new Starfox. Looks really nice.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    They got the 64 VA for Fox (presumably Falco too since he's in the new Smash)

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Platinum Games are apparently working on it according to a press release.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Platinum Games are apparently working on it according to a press release.

what

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    They just announced the collab with Platinum Games

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    If Pigma's back, the rest of Star Wolf had better be too.

Well, except maybe Andrew. I can do without that guy.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I like how they dodged the question of where this game belongs in canon. Reboot seems to be the word, but nobody's actually said it.

Poor Krystal, relegated to non-existence.

Mr Khan on
  • Options
    Platinum is also doing Nier and a Transformers game. What the fuck, like 4 people work there, how are they doing this? :O

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Platinum is also doing Nier and a Transformers game. What the fuck, like 4 people work there, how are they doing this? :O

Lot and lots of overtime.

And drugs.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    star_fox_zero_box_art_jpg_w_660_h_940.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    There's something unsettling about that Foxart Box. He's like some weird puppet version.

So, mmmnot really impressed with Zero so far. It looks and feels like a 3DS game. I get the impression it was some lil' mini budget title that got more groundswell than expected, and they've been expanding it ever since. Platinum being brought in feels like they're a salvage team, come to save the troubled production, y'know?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    "So, we're really prioritising getting this new game playing at 60 frames-per-second. In previous Star Fox games we had focused a lot on dogfighting, but here we're really focused more the single-player experience. Of course, as we continue on and once people get a feeling for the game... as the process continues if we find that we do think it'd be really good we'll definitely consider it, but right now we're not."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/e3-2015-star-fox-zero-has-no-online-multiplayer-mode

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    I like how they dodged the question of where this game belongs in canon. Reboot seems to be the word, but nobody's actually said it.

The question will inevitably be asked, why cater to the furry crowd. And the answer is rather obvious, for the same reason many JRPGs cater to the fanservice. Because it sells more copies.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I'm fine with Star Fox being a solitary experience tbh. I've never felt that the core gameplay lent itself very well to 4-player skirmishes.

Well, I guess Assault was alright in that regard, but Command was pretty boring.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I'm fine with Star Fox being a solitary experience tbh. I've never felt that the core gameplay lent itself very well to 4-player skirmishes.

Well, I guess Assault was alright in that regard, but Command was pretty boring.

People have fond memories of Starfox 64 multiplayer, I reckon.

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Can we call the new Arwing the Chickenwing?

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I'm really baffled over the comments I'm reading across the internet that are calling the game ugly.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    the arwing is still visibly angular, obviously the game could rendered by half a gamecube

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    It's not a great looker, frankly, but there are those who are crying over it like it's the ugliest shit that ever shat from a shithole, and how a game looks is apparently the only worth it has.

These people are children.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    the arwing is still visibly angular, obviously the game could rendered by half a gamecube

The Arwing design is iconic. I wouldn't want them to change it.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I'm cautiously optimistic.

I don't want to see gameplay on foot ever, and bam, Arwing has legs. Its like Nintendo is trolling me.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

People have fond memories of Starfox 64 multiplayer, I reckon.

It wasn't super fancy or anything, but a head to head was fun, and 4 player matches were fun exercises in diplomacy and ganging up("Why you shooting at me? I'm like 10% health, go shoot whatsit at 90% HP!")

This game looks to be a Starfox 64-ized Starfox 2(the unreleased SNES one), which isn't a bad thing IMO.

• Options
    It's a sign of hope, i think. Transforming Arwing means you're going to have a smoother transition between playstyles, and that playing on the ground is still going to feel like playing in the air. Assault's trouble was that the combat got noticeably clunkier once you went on foot, here it should, hopefully, feel as smooth as the air fights.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I love Ostrich mode

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    The transforming thing is weird as heck and I love it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Watching that Treehouse footage and seeing the Arwing transform into the walker, plunk on top of the flying fortress and start wrecking shit, then run off the descending wreckage and transforming again to escape was awesome

The only thing I have trouble wrapping my head around (and I thought it seemed like the Treehouse guys did too) is managing your flight patterns while aiming with the gamepad. The guy was running into shit at the start because he was too preoccupied with aiming on the pad, but not flying not the TV.

Hard to say until it's in my hands, though! I'm looking forward to trying it out. Seems to be hitting a lot of the right nostalgia buttons for me.

• Options
    Watching that Treehouse footage and seeing the Arwing transform into the walker, plunk on top of the flying fortress and start wrecking shit, then run off the descending wreckage and transforming again to escape was awesome

The only thing I have trouble wrapping my head around (and I thought it seemed like the Treehouse guys did too) is managing your flight patterns while aiming with the gamepad. The guy was running into shit at the start because he was too preoccupied with aiming on the pad, but not flying not the TV.

Hard to say until it's in my hands, though! I'm looking forward to trying it out. Seems to be hitting a lot of the right nostalgia buttons for me.

This is why you need a co-pilot. One person to fly and another person to shoot.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Iwata's twitter confirmed gyro controls are toggleable, btw.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Some people are going on about no online play, but... was Star Fox ever really a multiplayer thing?

• Options
    I remember having fun with Star Fox 64's multiplayer, but it just because an endless loop of...loops.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    My experience with Star Fox 64's multiplayer was... well, what maximumzero said. But also, I played it at a time when my brother was quite young, and didn't grasp the concept of "losing," so there was a lot of... shit fits whenever I beat him (which was often).

As he got older it levelled out, but it was still a primarily 1v1 affair, and when you're constantly doing somersaults, it's not really that fun.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

The question will inevitably be asked, why cater to the furry crowd. And the answer is rather obvious, this IP is older than most of their customers and their kids and will make money.

I suppose that after the disaster that came with Krystal's game, she'd be better off rebooted with someone who knew what they were doing. No reason to waste valuable interest that could turn into black ledgers.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

The Arwing design is iconic. I wouldn't want them to change it.

Same; I think Adventure or Assault gave it a more rounded design, and I really did not like it.
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm cautiously optimistic.

I don't want to see gameplay on foot ever, and bam, Arwing has legs. Its like Nintendo is trolling me.

Man, bringing that back from Star Fox 2 after all this time made my day.
    Quiotu wrote: »

The question will inevitably be asked, why cater to the furry crowd. And the answer is rather obvious, this IP is older than most of their customers and their kids and will make money.

I suppose that after the disaster that came with Krystal's game, she'd be better off rebooted with someone who knew what they were doing. No reason to waste valuable interest that could turn into black ledgers.

I say bring back Fara Phoenix.

Or make a hybrid of the two. Didn't Krystal pretty much lose any and all traces of her jungle girl roots after Adventure, anyway? Give her Fara's backstory...

Also: I want to be able to play as Falco. That's all I ever want from one game to the next.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    That video reminds me.

In the first star fox, did *anyone* manage to stay in formation during that training flight thing?

Of all the things I remember from that game.........it's that.