As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nier and/or Automata] Romance Delivered Through Melee

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    If you try and tell me there's a single ending to this game that won't end in tears, I won't believe you.

That said, Nier Ending D is one of the best endings in video games.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    PLA wrote: »
    Any returning character is in for a rough time.

Let's be honest here.

LD50 on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    If you try and tell me there's a single ending to this game that won't end in tears, I won't believe you.

That said, Nier Ending D is one of the best endings in video games.

Drakengard 3 Ending B is upbeat, at least. I mean, for the survivors.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Interview with Taro and staff at 4:57:
    http://www.twitch.tv/squareenixpresents/v/6281654

5dXl0qx.jpg?1
    - Game plays in the Nier universe but will not have any characters from the previous game.
    - Game will probably have some type of genre mix again like in the first game, but they don't want to just copy it. Is very much an RPG and they are debating if they should include a text adventure element again
    - Game will have a flashy battle system with depth to it, designed by Platinum Games. Will not be a hardcore action game to not turn off RPG fans.
    - As the previous game has a lot of female fans, they want to make it accessible enough and not too difficult, so they can manage. (lol) Still want to offer enough challenge for hardcore fans though.
    - Debating whether they should include difficulty settings
    - Game might have similar surprises like the save delete feature in the first game
    - No general tone or theme, Yoko Toro freeflows in creativity like in the first title.
    - Main character was designed to have dark colors.
    - Kinda spoilerish concerning ending(s): Yoko considers a happy end this time, but the producer wonders how this should be possible when reading the script (lol)
    - Might include some remixed music from the first game

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I looked at that image and just fucking laughed.

Shine on, Taro, you beautiful dude you.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'm really disappointed in Pro Jared's reaction to this. And how my Facebook is now filled with pictures of this 'hilarious and random skull face mask' meme. Ugh.

uyvfOQy.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I love his commitment to that get-up of his.

Most people can't pull off a scarf.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    No one can ever accuse Taro for not having style.

Nor can they say he doesn't love his projects.

• BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    - Game will probably have some type of genre mix again like in the first game, but they don't want to just copy it. Is very much an RPG and they are debating if they should include a text adventure element again
    They damn well better. The text adventure part was one of favourite parts of the original.
    - As the previous game has a lot of female fans, they want to make it accessible enough and not too difficult, so they can manage.
    :?

Blurbl on
    edited June 2015
    That's probably a mistranslation. I doubt it's "ha, girls don't know how to play games" so much as Drakengard 3 and/or NieR (depending what game they mean by 'previous game') might've drawn in more people who don't normally play games and just happen to be women.

The draws for either would probably be Zero being an awesome-looking woman protag and the younger NieR (for the PS3 version in Japan which might as well have been the -only- version in Japan despite Papa NieR being better) being designed as a more bishounen character.

Darth_Mogs on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I agree, I doubt he meant it in a negative way. Also, Drakengard 3 was much, MUCH harder than Nier.

wVEsyIc.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    It's one of the few devs who I really can't let myself get too wrapped up in the ramp up to the game.

So far I've heard - STRAIGHT FROM TARO - the game will feature no one from NieR, and the game will feature characters from NieR as NPC's.

The dude seems to LOVE fucking with everyone, all the time, forever.

He created a masterpiece once, and from what I've played of his other games, I at least admire what he was trying to do.

I almost feel like the more I read about NieR 2, the more I'll worry it won't be as good and look too deeply into everything he says and panic it's going to suck.

When in reality I just need to trust what he's doing and wait.

Like, I read NieR 2 is shooting for "all ages" ratings from PEGI and such. And I was like, what are you kidding!?

...then I read NieR 1 was shooting for a "13+" rating.

So yeah, I think he just talks and talks and we just have to have faith and wait it out.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    I meant after ending D. I couldn't imagine them making a sequel that takes place after one of the lesser endings.

A prequel could be pretty fucking rad though.

Well...
    It wouldn't be the first time. Drakengard 2 was a sequel to Drakengard's A ending. =P

I feel that was more of a executive mandate than Yoko Taro's decision. (Especially since he didn't even direct 2).

And would perhaps explain why NieR is started by the aftermath of another of Drakengard 1's endings.

I've always regretted not playing NieR, but I've read a few of the LP's and thanks to an ex-girlfriend experienced the save-deleting ending, I'm totally excited to see a new game. Between this, Bloodborne and the FF7 reboot I'm really debating getting a PS4.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
    edited June 2015
    Correction: seems not all those comments were Taro's, some were Saito's(the producer's), namely the female player one.

Probably easy to figure who said what. :p

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Ugh I just put the soundtrack on and I'm about to spend way too much on Amazon for a PS3 version, since if I'm playing it all again I at least want trophies (my copy is 360).

It's just the best game experience.

Also, since I've gotten all the endings on 360, it has the coolest twist that I feel like most people don't know about, and also kind of fleshes out the world.
    If you start a new game after Ending D - and since you have no save file after D that's your only option - if you enter the same name you used for the game earlier, it kind of stalls and then says something like "We recall...and that name can not be used for some reason."

Basically - what you did that playthrough happened. You sacrificed your existence to kind of "reboot" the world. You can play as the new Replicant who will be designed to look like Yonah's dad and all that, and you will go through the same exact experience, and in the end you will all suffer the same fate. It will never change. But you can not be the same EXACT person again, because that person does not exist, and has never existed, because of ending D.

In Devola and Popola's words...it. never. stops.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited June 2015
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Ugh I just put the soundtrack on and I'm about to spend way too much on Amazon for a PS3 version, since if I'm playing it all again I at least want trophies (my copy is 360).

Also, since I've gotten all the endings on 360, it has the coolest twist that I feel like most people don't know about, and also kind of fleshes out the world.
    If you start a new game after Ending D - and since you have no save file after D that's your only option - if you enter the same name you used for the game earlier, it kind of stalls and then says something like "We recall...and that name can not be used for some reason."

Basically - what you did that playthrough happened. You sacrificed your existence to kind of "reboot" the world. You can play as the new Replicant who will be designed to look like Yonah's dad and all that, and you will go through the same exact experience, and in the end you will all suffer the same fate. It will never change. But you can not be the same EXACT person again, because that person does not exist, and has never existed, because of ending D.

Apparently for a bit they wanted to have yet another ending where you play through the entire game and all the endings again under a new name, and then realize what's happened and have more story and another boss or something.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    So I'm really excited that they're making this and really disappointed that they're not doing an Xbox One version. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of US players had it on 360. Japan forgetting that other, non-Japanese countries exist continues to be annoying.

With the superb dub and older, non-bishi Nier, the US version was also unquestionably better than the original JP version, which is interesting for a Square release.

Taking a quick search around, it looks like Nier sold far more on PS3 than 360 in every region.

uyvfOQy.png
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Apparently for a bit they wanted to have yet another ending where you play through the entire game and all the endings again under a new name, and then realize what's happened and have more story and another boss or something.

That would have been perfect.

Because the ending leaves you with some hope, hoping that all of it was worth something.

It'd be perfect to show you slowly but surely that there was never any hope to begin with.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
    Taking a quick search around, it looks like Nier sold far more on PS3 than 360 in every region.

Where was there sales data? If you say VGChartz... lol.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    So I'm really excited that they're making this and really disappointed that they're not doing an Xbox One version. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of US players had it on 360. Japan forgetting that other, non-Japanese countries exist continues to be annoying.

With the superb dub and older, non-bishi Nier, the US version was also unquestionably better than the original JP version, which is interesting for a Square release.

Sorry but no. Throughout last gen, the 360 proved to be a horrible market for JRPGs and it's far, far worse this gen. Final Fantasy Type-0 sold like shit on Xbone, like <100k worldwide, so why would NieR 2 magically sell well if a Final Fantasy spinoff bundled with a FFXV demo didn't? Sorry but if you want Japanese games, you should probably just get a PS4. This gen, the Xbone is going to be to Japanese games what the Wii U is to AAA third party games.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    Yeah - even in America, most people jumped ship to PS4.

Last gen it made sense to keep things multiplat, at least in the US. The 360 ruled here, the PS3 there. I think NieR was PS3 only in Japan, and then multiplat here.

Now that in the US the PS4 is outselling the XBox One 2-1? There's no chance a company like Square will put up the extra cash to port the game over.

Last gen it made sense to keep things multiplat, at least in the US. The 360 ruled here, the PS3 there. I think NieR was PS3 only in Japan, and then multiplat here.

Now that in the US the PS4 is outselling the XBox One 2-1? There's no chance a company like Square will put up the extra cash to port the game over.

Except when they do it for Type 0, FFXV, KH3, and almost certainly FFVII remake? Sounds bullshitty to me, clearly they have the staff and process down.

Except when they do it for Type 0, FFXV, KH3, and almost certainly FFVII remake? Sounds bullshitty to me, clearly they have the staff and process down.

The first three were already announced before it became clear it was a waste of money. And besides, FFXV and KH3 should be big enough that even Xbone owners should buy enough copies to make them a little bit of money, whereas NieR 2 is a super niche game. As for the FFVII remake, I think you should wait and see before claiming that it's a certainty. So far, the leaks are pointing towards not happening.

"They have the staff and process down"? Just because they have the staff and know how to port it, doesn't mean they're going to be willing to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars actually doing it when they're virtually guaranteed not to make that money back. We're getting into hopes and dreams territory here but don't worry, I'm sure a lot of us Vita/Wii U owners can relate. It sucks and will probably take a while to accept but that's just how things go.

• BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    I'd have thought porting would be done a lot more with the new generation of consoles due to the reduced cost - since the Xbone and the PS4 are basically fixed PCs, when the PS3 had the crazy cell architecture and so on.

Damn shame.

The only reason the 360 got any games from the super Japanese companies was because there were a -lot- of 360s sold in America, because there wasn't shit sold in Japan. They were banking on the 360's higher audience to justify the version of that, where the PS3 version was always the 'intended' one since they're more home-focused.

With the PS4 in the lead, it's almost guaranteed that Japanese games are gonna sell most on it everywhere, so they don't really have that justification anymore. XV and KH3 were announced and in development before that divide was established and are likely financial drains enough that they need to sell them on everything to try and recoup some of that. Fully expect XV to get a PC version as well, but KH3 is going to be a licensing nightmare, so I don't know what to think on that.

The true test, I imagine, is when/if the XV-2 or whatever is announced to help with that recouping costs, whether it'll be announced for XBone as well. Sales of XV will matter heavily in that for sure, and they'll take into account that their sequels tend to sell maybe half of what the first game did, so it'll just be a matter of whether it's worth it to try and squeeze more sales out of the Western XBone owners/if they think they actually will get them.

But yeah, niche-y stuff like NieR 2 ain't gonna bother with second place in Not-Japan and negative place in Japan.

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    Nier sure is a good ass game

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

And if you went for ending D on the new version, there'd be a new bit playing as Kaine, and then you'd get a chance to input a name, and if you put in the name from your old save, Nier came back to be with Yonah again. Aww.

I mean, world'd still be doomed. But Awww.

What gaming site did a review where they dropped Nier early on in the first half of the game and never went back to it because they couldn't open their map and see a quest marker of where to go?

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Maybe you're thinking of the one guy who quit after the fishing bullshit, which to go "lol game reviews" on is a giant piece of disingenuous bullshit.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited June 2015
    Nier literally has the easiest fishing minigame of any fishing minigame I have ever played.

Not to mention that the game gives you the story required fish and a a hilarious cutscene for free if you suck badly.

vagrant_winds on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm not judging that section solely on the fishing mechanics.

If you like, I'll recant the entire scenario again as I have many times before.
    nier%20fishing_zps5ervmcaf.jpg

A picture is a thousand words. You are taught to fish, told to catch a shaman king, and that they're found on the beach.

You are standing next to a beach, but it's the wrong one.

Yes, the game absolutely does put a quest marker at the correct beach. I'll not deny it. But to say "lol the quest marker was there you loser pay attention!" is to willingly throw the intelligence of gamers away and tell developers you want and need annoying handholding and stupid tutorials in your games from now on. I'm staring at a beach. You tell me to fish at the beach. I am going to put 2 and 2 together and assume the game is not being a fucking asshole here. But nope, Nier is being a fucking asshole here.

That's really Nier and Cavia in a nutshell. Love the game to death. But they are fucking assholes.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    It was Justin McElroy.

Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Fixed.

That's Skyrim he's holding, by the way, and surprise, surprise, he's at Polygon now.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Honestly. While I still like the titles coming out on my X1 I've just accepted if I want jRPGs I'm going to have to get a PS4.

That said...I was already set on getting a PS4 when SFV as announced as a console exclusive so whatever.

Dragkonias on
    Also, he posted this the second NieR 2 was announced.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

EDIT - nevermind

In the meantime, get me some Nier on PC action please. I need to replay!

vamen on
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Also, I agree with you @The Wolfman ... that fishing part confused me for quite a while. It's been a few years since I played it (and I played it longer after it came out) so it's all blurry, but I remember figuring it out and being like "I was at the freakin' beach already!"
    Literally my only complaint about the game, but I had forgotten all about it until it was just brought up again. So obviously not something that bothered me too much in the end.

EDIT - I meant to put this in my previous post, not a make a new one. I'm clearly out of control! I apologize.

vamen on
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    That first fishing thing really was the pits though.

Especially since the game told you to press x or something when you landed a fish which caused you to immediately lose it. If it weren't for the internet I never would have been able to do the fishing stuff.