As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

For Blood! For Glory! [For Honor]!

Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet:Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
edited February 2017 in Games and Technology
IGN-FOR-HONOR-720x405.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMQJ67MQ6C4

For Honor was a game recently announced just yesterday by Ubisoft that's coming out for Xbox One, PS4 and PC

What is For Honor? It's a 4v4 melee combat game where armies of lesser infantry fight while players take the role of powerful champions of three different martial traditions in a non-historic non-magical fantasy world.

These Martial Traditions are

The Samurai represented as The Chosen
http://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-US/game-info/samurai/index.aspx

"The strongest of all warriors are these two: Time and Patience." - Leo Tolstoy

The Knight represented as The Legion
http://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-US/game-info/knight/index.aspx

"Fight on, brave knights! Man dies, but glory lives! Fight on; death is better than defeat!" - Sir Walter Scott

The Viking represented as The Warborn
http://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-US/game-info/viking/index.aspx

"I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content." - Robert E. Howard

If you actually want to know about the game, here is the trailer from E3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFUymXnQ5z8

some UI light combat from E3 itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojFasaygBH4

and another gameplay video with the pre-alpha UI stuff and a bit more about the gameplay and one of the modes you can play in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgvXnDuvj-g

Here is the main page of the website also:

http://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-US/home/index.aspx

Personally I love the hell out of games like Chivalry and Mount and Blade and this seems to be right up my alley, so far they've only shown us gameplay with two factions, the Chosen and the Legion and only one weapon for each side (Katana for the Chosen, Longsword for the Legion) I assume you'll be able to use other weapons but I don't know if they're going with different classes that have different weapons, or if you just pick what weapons you want to use. Another interesting fact is women seem to be well represented in the game with female character models, and they seem to be sensibly armored as well with no boob plate or anything like that.

So, I'm pretty excited about it, there's no release date yet but I'm hoping for "sooner rather than later" though it's only in pre-alpha right now. I'll be posting new information in this thread as I see it, hopefully we'll get to see a fair bit more pretty soon.

Putting this in OP because it's got useful info, quoting it because I'm a lazy thief:
ObiFett wrote: »
So I'm reading there are micro-transactions in this game?

If I am paying $60 + season pass will I still need to spend more money to get all the things?

I'll need to look for it, but my understanding is such:

-Steel is the funbux of the game.
-Everything I've seen so far has been able to be purchased with Steel. Be it characters, emotes, executions, loot boxes, etc.
-You can still play every character. You level them up. You get to choose feats for dominion and elimination when you get the appropriate level.
What you cannot do is change their armor, weapons, emotes, executions or play pretty pretty princess until you purchase them with Steel.. You cannot access the customize screen without purchasing them.
-You can use Steel to buy XP boosters for set amounts of time

How do I get steel?
-Complete daily orders and contracts in the Faction War. usually between 500 and 100 steel rewards.
-Play through entire matches. you'll get about 25-60 steel based on performance.
-XP boosters add a little bit more steel on top of this.

What about the Gold Pass?
-The gold pass gives you 30 days of XP boosters
-Every Hero, plus 6 more to be released will be yours to play pretty pretty princess.
-You get access to those new heroes 1 week before everyone else.

What about Loot Boxes?
DO NOT BUY THEM YET.
For FUCKING REALSIES. THREAD OWNER PUT THIS PART IN THE OP.

-Loot boxes let you spend a set amount of Steel for random loot for a particular character.
-THE QUALITY OF LOOT IS BASED ON YOUR CHARACTER LEVEL.
-If you buy loot at level 1, it will be level 1 shit grey gear. (My guess, prevents twinking at early levels)
-Gear can only be upgraded so much. so spend all your hard earned Steel on a grey level 1 upgraged to level 5? Or actually get some use and upgrade that base Epic level 20?
-Upgrading gear pushes the bonus -AND- the negative stats of gear. The bonus is a net gain, but you will still suffer your other stat some.
-Upgrades require Steel and Scrap
-Scrap is made by scrapping gear you don't want. low quality stuff usually 5 to 10 scrap, better stuff yields more.

I haven't looked for it yet, but I'm sure there is something in a Ubisoft page in the menu to let you spend real world $$$ on Steel.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
Lord_Asmodeus on

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    *please be coming to PC please be coming to PC please be coming to PC*

*looks*

Yeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I am super fucking excited about this game but I'm kinda bummed that it's just three warriors. Unless they announce more, but it seems to kinda revolve around the three. I really want more. But the combat system looks slick as hell and, hey, actually kinda innovative which is not something I would've expected from an Ubisoft game.

The only other problem is that I think of the name and instantly go into the stinger of Snake Eater. "Not For Honor, but fooooooor yoooooou"

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well the cinematic trailer had characters that had like shields with flails and there was a Chosen woman with a naginata. Honestly I'd be surprised if they only kept it to one weapon set per faction, cool as the game looks it seems like it might get old with just a sword and shield viking, longsword knight and katana samurai after awhile.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Well the cinematic trailer had characters that had like shields with flails and there was a Chosen woman with a naginata. Honestly I'd be surprised if they only kept it to one weapon set per faction, cool as the game looks it seems like it might get old with just a sword and shield viking, longsword knight and katana samurai after awhile.
    I'm sure there will be weapon set DLC and all that jazz over time.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Just need a good long sword and I'll be happy.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    The neat thing seemed to be that the combat system for duels with other players and the combat system for mooks were entirely different.

Mooks seemed more Arkham series like while the other looked like a mix between mount and blades directional stuff and Chivalries focus on canned animations.

Interested to see how this shapes up. Though I think I'd prefer the champions be more exaggerated than just 'extra beefy fight bros'

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Mm, how do you mean exaggerated? Like WoW style oversized pauldrons type, exaggerated armor or something else?

Because they seem a fairly differentiated compared to the mooks, they were like a head taller than non-champion types, not to mention their armor was better/different.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    I'm not quite sure how to describe it. I definitely don't want WoW armour. Just not entirely on board with the designs as they sit right now.

Also wonder if they plan to put in primarily ranged champions or the ability to order mooks around. The former would probably get real old real fast, the latter could be great fun.

My brother and I were actually speculating about that. In the second gameplay video, the one that's from after the E3 stuff, a couple of the Knights perks look like they might apply to the mooks, one of them makes it seems like it makes them tougher. I agree it would be interesting if you could like point them to different capture points and the like and direct the flow of battle.

Also it seems to be relatively grounded. Which is super neat.

It's nice to have medieval games that don't throw in magic for a lark.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I think this looks neat, but it's really hard to get excited about new Ubisoft games these days... Still, sounds like a neat idea, though. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Man, I'm loving everything I see in these demos, especially all the half-swording the knights are doing. You never really see that in games.

Is time a gift or punishment?
    edited June 2015
    Here's a fairly long impression video from someone who got to play it, no new gameplay though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vsQuXCMiUc

I'm not sure I agree with them not wanting the r stick to their. While I'm sure you could just know where your sword is and that might be the way some people play (so I would support an option to turn off certain HUD elements like that) I certainly hope they don't remove it from the game entirely. In a fast paced combat situation you want to know at a glance in a super clear way exactly where your sword is and what angle you're going to be blocking from and attacking from and even knowing from your sword position and which side you know you have the stick on, I think in that sort of situation every little bit helps.

And here's a video with some short impressions from people on the floor who got to play it as well as some short snippets of new gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-YDbrwly8

One thing that's new information from this (or at least I haven't seen elsewhere) is that members of the same "faction" can fight one another, so Knights vs Knights in the video and potentially Samurai vs Samurai and Vikings vs Vikings. I actually really like that, I think it'll be cool to fight the same kind of classes as well as different kinds. I'm wondering if there will be modes with more than 2 different sides fighting eachother too.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I realize The Chosen is just inspired by the samurai rather than a literal actual samurai but it still bugs me that they couldn't even find a quote from a Japanese guy. I mean, Tolstoy?

Gaslight on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Robert E. Howard ain't exactly a Viking either.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Robert E. Howard ain't exactly a Viking either.

Of course, but the Conan mythos is still pretty heavily viking-inspired. Tolstoy ain't got shit to do with bushido. And it's not like there isn't real samurai tradition or at least Asian martial literature they could have delved into for a quote. I'm sure there's something from The Book of Five Rings I could find on Google in under 10 minutes.

Gaslight on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    For a second there I thought the quote under The Vikings in the OP was going to be "I live, I die, I live again! Shiny and Chrome on the road to Valhalla!". Missed opportunity that. :razz:

I am rather intrigued by this game. Honestly can't wait to see more.

edit- The only thing I am a bit bummed about is that (unless I am mistaken) it seems to be 1 army vs 1 army. I do love me some 1v1v1 action. :(

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Well, I spied some actual historic stances and techniques used there for the longsword, so that's encouraging. I'm super interested in seeing how they'll finally handle the combat with that.

Props to devs that put in a little research.

• ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    Saw this at PAX today. Hot DAMN does it look good. The meaty, technical combat triggers the deepest of pavlovian responses in me. I might never play another game again.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    This game looks rad as fuck.

Chosen might not be a full on samurai, but it would be cool to see your mooks change depending on what the majority of your team is. If they're majority chosen they could look like Ashigaru, if they're Vikings they could look like huscarls, and Knights could be the mooks we've seen so far.

So no major news, but I did want to post this, since it gathers up most of what's known about the game so far

http://www.gamesradar.com/for-honor-review/

One thing it says which I didn't know already was that there will be single player (though no word on exactly what shape that single player will take) and also it reinforces that there will be more than one class per Faction, which I expected but it's nice to hear some confirmation.

I just wish there was more news/information about it. I'd love to see the Viking stuff and see how they play compared to what we've seen of the Knights and Samurai.

Yeah I saw that stuff, the campaign is (surprisingly) looking really pretty promising. One thing I'm not sure of is whether or not they changed the lore of the factions or not, since I thought the Samurai guys were desert nomads attacking the Medieval Kingdom in an effort to gain more fertile land.

Hope no one minds me reviving this old thread

Some new stuff from Gamescon, a trailer and some gameplay stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STIT5j6UmeU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1fEx2vspq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACPuf3IFuzE

There are four class types and each of the factions has a character to fill that role. There are Vanguards (all-rounders, decent against multiple combatants) Assassins (fast attacks and good 1v1, not good against multiple enemies) Heavies (Tanks, big attacks a lot of damage, decent against multiple enemies, able to take a lot of hits) and Hybrids (usually longer range, hardest to master, different types of combatants)

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I got to play a tech test of this, and it was a lot of fun. Looking forward to the full version.

Are you the magic man?
    How did the controls feel (at this stage at least)?

They're good, and fairly simple, on PC at least. it feels a lot like War of the Roses control wise, if you've ever played that. Different directions to block, and you don't have to hold it, just set it, then attack and heavy attack and a guard block. There's more stuff but it's all fairly intuitive.

Are you the magic man?
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Here's the For Honer thread. I knew it was around somewhere.

I gotta say, its the first ubisoft game in a about 6years I've looked forward to playing. I've been wanting a solid fighting game and 3rd person is icing on the cake.

I'm still gonna say I'm dubious about them scaling the graphics back like they *always* do now.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Yeah I'm hoping the graphics don't get scaled back significantly from what we've seen so far. I'm really looking forward to all of the customization options, personalizing your character is honestly a really big thing in games like this, so I'm hoping there's tons of options.

The graphics (on PC) were really good, same as the gameplay vids, and the performance was perfect on my machine. I don't see why they'd do any scaling back, unless it's for consoles.

Are you the magic man?
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Hey. Not been on PA for quite a while. I have a couple of PS4 invites for the closed alpha starting tomorrow. First people to post here can have them - we will need to become ubi uplay friends for me to send you the invite.

Just let me know your psn or uplay name and I'll friend you and send the code.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    How long is the closed alpha. Id take one but I'm pretty busy from now until Monday.

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Oh snap?

akirasig.jpg
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Oh there is a thread for this. I've still got two invites for the closed alpha that starts tomorrow, for PC. Would require I be uplay friends with whomever in order to invite, but that's not too much trouble.

canuckont wrote: »
    How long is the closed alpha. Id take one but I'm pretty busy from now until Monday.

Thursday to Sunday I believe

camo_sig.png
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    That "oh snap?" was me wanting in hehe. Same name everywhere.

akirasig.jpg
    That "oh snap?" was me wanting in hehe. Same name everywhere.

If you accept the request I should be able to send you an alpha invite

camo_sig.png
  • canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    Ah I'll pass, I won't have time to really give it a shoot this weekend.

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Oh there is a thread for this. I've still got two invites for the closed alpha that starts tomorrow, for PC. Would require I be uplay friends with whomever in order to invite, but that's not too much trouble.

im bloodyroarxx on Uplay Id love an invite.