As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cthulhu Wars 2: R'lyeh Boogaloo

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Also seriously, move Cthulu to South Asia. Fighting opponents GOOs is your secondary source of Elder Signs!

Seriously. Nyarlahotep would fuck his world.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Yaaay fighting

Yes those edits are legal (as edits, can't check the move itself at present). Continue.

Who's turn is it?

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Eat cultist in North Atlantic.

2>1

@MrBody

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I hope you all appreciate the gifts I gave to you.

Initiate battle in South Asia
    3->2

Pre-battle:
    Assuming Cthulhu uses devour, lose 1 flying Polyp.
    2 hunting horrors teleport in to join the fight

Battle:
    Cthulhu (6 dice)
    vs
    Nyarl (9 dice from my 4 spell books and Green's 5)
    2 hunting horrors (4 dice)
    1 flying polyp (1 die)

geth roll 6d6 for Cthulhu
    geth roll 14d6 for Crawling Chaos

Cthulhu:
    6d6 16 [6d6=1, 1, 3, 5, 4, 2]
    Crawling Chaos:
    14d6 51 [14d6=1, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 5, 5, 5, 6, 5, 4, 6, 5]

Cthulhu slain, gain 2 elder signs from Nyarl's Harbinger ability.
    Retreat 2 hunting horrors to North Pacific

2 power left

@Lykouragh

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Summon a cultist in South pacific. 2->1

Move cultist from North Asia to Arabia.

1>0

@MrBody

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited June 2015
    Gotta run now, but I'm desperate and this next action is going to be a doozy of a hail mary.

Don't have time to run through it now, but it's going to be an epic sweep or an epic disaster.

MrBody on
    Ok, game is going to end this doom phase unless things are shaken up. Big risks must be taken.

Let's do this.
    admanb wrote: »
    I hope you all appreciate the gifts I gave to you.

Indeed

Move Nyarlathotep to West Africa.

2->1

Initiate combat West Africa

1->0

I almost took the 2 power from killing Cthulhu instead of the elder signs because I wanted one polyp to invisible his cultist so I only needed one 6 to kill Shub, but I'm so behind I need the elder signs from all fights so I'm just going to have to hope for two 6s.

West Africa battle

Pre-battle: Teleport 2 hunting horrors to the fight

Battle:
    Nyarl (10 dice, my 4 spell books + red's 6)
    2 hunting horrors (4 dice)
    vs
    Shub (if my map following is correct, I count 6 dice: 2 cultists, 2 dark young, and 2 controlled gates)
    cultist (1 die from frenzy)

geth roll 14d6 for Crawling Chaos
    geth roll 7d6 for Black Goat

here we go....

Crawling Chaos:
    14d6 46 [14d6=3, 5, 3, 1, 2, 2, 1, 5, 3, 1, 4, 4, 6, 6]
    Black Goat:
    7d6 23 [7d6=2, 5, 4, 3, 2, 6, 1]

edited June 2015
    Two kills! The cultist and Shub are taken out.

One hunting horror is killed. Nyarl and the other horror retreat to North Atlantic which is now free of red units.

hmmm...I'm actually gong to take the 4 power from harbinger instead of the elder signs

0->4

Move acolyte from South Asia to West Africa. Take control of gate.

4->3

Gain Abduct spell book for controlling 4 gates.

Summon hunting horror in West Africa.

3->0

That's the end of the turn. Now just hope it goes on one more turn.

edit: Waiting to see if combat rolls stand.

@Astaereth

MrBody on
    edited June 2015
    Pssst, Green still had a power left...

Also the South Atlantic ghoul might come into play via necrophagy.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited June 2015
    oh....well, crap

MrBody on
    No update until this afternoon, so do your best to finish the round if you can.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    This map is current through everything except MrBody's last big turn. I'll update stats throughout the day to that point.

nBcHFZH.png

ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited June 2015
    I guess if @Lykouragh takes his last move after Nyarl moved to West Africa but before combat was called, it probably won't have had any effect on that side of the world and the combat rolls can still stand?

We'll then have to wait for @admanb to ghoul it up or not before the retreats get assigned.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited June 2015
    @Astaereth I was down to one flying polyp in South Asia the action before my big turn (the battle with Cthulhu). Also North Asia should be desecrated.

Like Jam said, my move to West Africa would have come first, bringing me down to my last power. Had to start the battle before next turn. I'm assuming green would have used his last power to take control of the empty Indian Ocean gate?

Rolls will be deferred to host as always.

If they stand, necrophage won't affect any retreats since all units on both sides were either killed or pained already. It would just relocate ghouls to West Africa. If that's what red wants then he's free to do so.

The order:

Nyarl moves to West Africa
    Green's 1 power action
    (regardless of green's action)
    My last power to initiate combat in west africa
    Host decision to be made if combat rolls stand.
    Red to make decision to move ghouls into West Africa post-battle

MrBody on
    I'd like to hear what Lykouragh's honest action would have been, not knowing about the battle. (Not that it would have been difficult to predict what Body was going to do, once Nyar moved.)

Then I'll rule on the roll, said ruling depending on whether Lyk would have affected the outcome in any way.

We'll proceed from that point accordingly.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    I will relocate the Ghoul from South Atlantic.

My action knowing nothing about that battle would be just

Acolyte from South Pacific to Indian Ocean, control gate 1>0

Doesn't seem to me like that would affect anything but I could be wrong

edited June 2015
    -Okay, so Green took his last action.
    -I initiated the battle in West Africa.
    (previous rolls stand?)
    -Post battle, Red moves in ghoul from South Atlantic, I retreat my units to North Atlantic and claim 4 power, bringing me to 4.

Now, I originally I had used that 4 power (with everyone else at 0) to move an acolyte to West Africa and summon a hunting horror, but if this is a legal edit since it takes place after everyone else is done with their turn, I would like to change it to:

Move acolyte from South Asia to West Africa, take control of gate.
    4->3

Move nightgaunt from Arctic Ocean to Indian Ocean
    3->2
    (Green cannot devolve cultist since there are no more deep ones in his pool?)

Move acolyte from South Asia to Indian Ocean
    2->1

Capture green acolyte in Indian Ocean, take control of gate with my acolyte
    1->0

(edit: claim Abduct spell book for controlling at least 4 gates)

If that's not a legal edit, then stick with my original orders.

Turn is over either way and proceeds to next turn's gather power phase.

MrBody on
    edited June 2015
    Either way, everybody hold off until I can get home and close the round. Thanks.

Edit: actually, Body's edit is fine, the combat rolls stand, and I will accept PMs only on ritual plans. Body posted the ritual track a few pages ago, so y'all can check the cost ranges.

Other than those PMs (which are optional), hold off until I close the round. Thanks!

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited June 2015
    By my calculations Yellow is going to end the turn with around a total of 29.7 doom. It's going to depend on how good his elder signs are.

MrBody on
    It might also depend on how confident Yellow is in the win--Green and Red both have all six books, so they could win if they end up with more points.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Regrettably, I knocked out Red's chance of winning this turn. Only 1 gate and no Shub = +1-2 doom and no elder signs. I did my best to try and knock everyone out equally, but there just wasn't enough steam left to get to Yellow who is a very tough nut to crack right now.

Green, if he rituals, gets 21 doom meaning he'd have to have at least 9 points out of 5 elder signs.

I think the absolute most I could have is 26 and I can't get all 6 books until next turn.

Green could win this doom phase if he gets extremely lucky with the signs, but Yellow is statistically likely to win.

MrBody on
    Here's the final map for Round 5.

3rrsy8e.png

ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Player statuses at the end of Round 5:

Lykouragh (15 Doom, 4 hidden Elder Signs, 0 Power)
    Kidnapped cultist: 1 Black Goat Acolyte
    ylKIW1M.jpg

Jam Warrior (7 Doom, 9 hidden Elder Signs, 0 Power)
    Kidnapped cultist: 1 Black Goat Acolyte
    8ibIlT2.jpg

admanb (18 Doom, 3 hidden Elder signs, 0 Power)
    MypEqUn.jpg

MrBody (10 Doom, 2 hidden Elder signs, 0 Power)
    Kidnapped cultist: 1 Cthulhu Acolyte and 1 Black Goat Acolyte
    PoLl1JM.jpg

Great Cthulhu Spellbooks:
    -Devolve (Ongoing): At the end of any player's Action (even if it's not your turn), transform one or more of your Acolyte Cultists anywhere on the map into Deep Ones.
    -In any Doom Phase in which you have 5 Spellbooks, receive this Spellbook. Also receive 1 Elder Sign.
    -Dreams (Action: Cost 3): Choose an area with enemy Acolyte Cultist(s). Your enemy must eliminate one and replace it with one from your Pool.
    -Absorb (Pre-Battle): If a Shoggoth is present, eliminate one or more of your Monsters or Cultists from the Area. For each Unit so removed, add 3 dice to the Shoggoth's Combat for that Battle.
    -Y'ha Nthlei (Ongoing): During Gather Power, if Cthulhu is in play, you gain 1 Power for each enemy-controlled Gate in an ocean Area.
    -Submerge (Action: Cost 1): If Cthulhu is in an Ocean Area, remove him from the map and place him on your Faction card, along with any or all friendly Units in the same area. As a later Action, pay 1 Power to place Cthulhu, plus all accompanying Units, anywhere on the map, including land.

Yellow Sign Spellbooks (has all 6):
    -Passion (Ongoing): When one of your Cultists is eliminated during the Action Phase, (Captured, Killed, etc.), gain 1 Power.
    -Zin Gaya (Action: Cost 1): If Undead are in an Area with enemy Acolyte Cultists, transform one such Acolyte Cultist into an Undead.
    -He Who Is Not To Be Named (Action: Cost 1): Move Hastur to any Area containing a Cultist of any Faction (the Cultist said his name, possibly by accident). After this, immediately take a second, different, Action. You may NOT take The Screaming Dead as your second action.
    -The Screaming Dead (Action: Cost 1): Move the King in Yellow. Any Undead in the same Area can move with him for free. After this, immediately take a second, different, Action. You may not take He Who Is Not To Be Named as your second Action.
    -Shriek of the Byakhee (Action: Cost 1): Move any or all Byakhee from their current Area(s) to one selected Area, regardless of distance.
    -The Third Eye (Ongoing): If Hastur is in play, the cost of Desecration is reduced to 1. If the Desecration succeeds, you also obtain 1 Elder Sign.

Black Goat Spellbooks (has all 6):
    -Frenzy (Ongoing): Your Cultists now have a combat value of 1.
    -The Red Sign (Ongoing): Your Dark Young can now Build Gates, Control Gates, and earn 1 Power each during the Gather Power phase. They also add 1 Combat during battle. They do not act as Cultists with respect to any other purpose.
    -Ghroth (Action: Cost 2): Roll 1 die. If the result is equal to or less than the number of Areas containing Fungi, your enemies must eliminate Cultists equal to the roll, between them. They have 1 minute to decide how many each should lose. If they cannot agree, you choose for them.
    -Blood Sacrifice (Ongoing): If Shub-Niggurath is in play during the Doom Phase, you can choose to eliminate one of your Cultists (from anywhere on the map). If you do so, get 1 Elder Sign.
    -Necrophagy (Post-Battle): Move any or all Ghouls (who were also not involved) from any Area to the Battle Area, even if you are not involved in a Battle. For each Ghoul so moved, both sides in the Battle suffer an additional Pain result.
    -The Thousand Young (Ongoing): If Shub-Niggurath is in play, Ghouls, Fungi, and Dark Young cost 1 less Power each to summon.

Crawling Chaos Spellbooks:
    -Seek and Destroy (Pre-Battle): Immediately move any or all Hunting Horrors from any Area to the Battle Area.
    -As your Action for a Round, pay 6 Power
    -Invisibility (Pre-Battle): Select one Monster or Cultist (from either Faction) per Flying Polyp present and "exempt" it. The selected Unit takes no part in the rest of the Battle.
    -Abduct (Pre-Battle): Eliminate one or more Nightgaunts in the Battle Area. For each such Nightgaunt, your opponent must eliminate one of his own Monsters or Cultists (his choice) in the Area. After this, combat proceeds.
    -Madness (Ongoing): You get to choose which adjacent Area enemy Units flee to on a Pain result. This happens even in Battles in which you do not participate.
    -The Thousand Forms (Action: Cost 0): If Nyarlathotep is in play, roll 1d6. Your foes must lose that much Power between them, they have 1 minute to decide how much each loses. If they cannot agree, you get the rolled number as Power added to your total. Flip this spellbook face-down to indicate it cannot be used again this turn. During Gather Power, flip it face-up again.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Round 6, Gain Power Phase

There are no abandoned gates.

Cthulhu has 5 Cultists (5 power) plus 3 controlled gates (6 power) + 1 kidnapped Cultist (1 power), for a total of 12 Power (He gets no power for ocean gates because Cthulhu is no longer in play.)

Yellow Sign has 6 Cultists (6 power) plus 2 controlled gates (4 power) + 1 kidnapped Cultist (1 power) + 8 desecrated areas with yellow units (8 power), for a total of 19 Power

Black Goat has 1 Cultist (1 power) plus 1 controlled gate (2 power) + 2 Dark Young (2 power) for a total of 5 Power

Crawling Chaos has 6 Cultists (6 power) plus 5 controlled gates (10 power) plus 2 kidnapped Cultists (2 power) for a total of 18 Power

Yellow Sign is 1st player, with 19 Power. Minimum power rule bumps Black Goat up to 10 Power (half the leader's).

Jam Warrior PMd me last night stating that he would keep player order the same.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Round 6, Doom phase

Immediately upon beginning the Doom phase, Cthulhu gains his final spellbook, Regenerate, and 1 Elder Sign.

First we distribute Doom.

Cthulhu has 3 gates, gaining 3 Doom
    Yellow Sign has 2 gates, gaining 2 Doom
    Black Goat has 1 gates, gaining 1 Doom
    Crawling Chaos has 5 gates, gaining 5 Doom

Here, then, are the player statuses before we determine rituals:

Lykouragh (18 Doom, 5 hidden Elder Signs, 12 Power)
    ylKIW1M.jpg

Jam Warrior (9 Doom, 9 hidden Elder Signs, 19 Power) Current player
    8ibIlT2.jpg

admanb (19 Doom, 3 hidden Elder signs, 10 Power)
    MypEqUn.jpg

MrBody (15 Doom, 2 hidden Elder signs, 18 Power)
    PoLl1JM.jpg

Great Cthulhu Spellbooks (has all 6):
    -Devolve (Ongoing): At the end of any player's Action (even if it's not your turn), transform one or more of your Acolyte Cultists anywhere on the map into Deep Ones.
    -Regenerate (Battle): Apply up to 2 Battle results to the same Starspawn when taking losses. If both results are Kills, the Starspawn dies. On any other combination of Kill or Pain results, the Starspawn retreats.
    -Dreams (Action: Cost 3): Choose an area with enemy Acolyte Cultist(s). Your enemy must eliminate one and replace it with one from your Pool.
    -Absorb (Pre-Battle): If a Shoggoth is present, eliminate one or more of your Monsters or Cultists from the Area. For each Unit so removed, add 3 dice to the Shoggoth's Combat for that Battle.
    -Y'ha Nthlei (Ongoing): During Gather Power, if Cthulhu is in play, you gain 1 Power for each enemy-controlled Gate in an ocean Area.
    -Submerge (Action: Cost 1): If Cthulhu is in an Ocean Area, remove him from the map and place him on your Faction card, along with any or all friendly Units in the same area. As a later Action, pay 1 Power to place Cthulhu, plus all accompanying Units, anywhere on the map, including land.

Yellow Sign Spellbooks (has all 6):
    -Passion (Ongoing): When one of your Cultists is eliminated during the Action Phase, (Captured, Killed, etc.), gain 1 Power.
    -Zin Gaya (Action: Cost 1): If Undead are in an Area with enemy Acolyte Cultists, transform one such Acolyte Cultist into an Undead.
    -He Who Is Not To Be Named (Action: Cost 1): Move Hastur to any Area containing a Cultist of any Faction (the Cultist said his name, possibly by accident). After this, immediately take a second, different, Action. You may NOT take The Screaming Dead as your second action.
    -The Screaming Dead (Action: Cost 1): Move the King in Yellow. Any Undead in the same Area can move with him for free. After this, immediately take a second, different, Action. You may not take He Who Is Not To Be Named as your second Action.
    -Shriek of the Byakhee (Action: Cost 1): Move any or all Byakhee from their current Area(s) to one selected Area, regardless of distance.
    -The Third Eye (Ongoing): If Hastur is in play, the cost of Desecration is reduced to 1. If the Desecration succeeds, you also obtain 1 Elder Sign.

Black Goat Spellbooks (has all 6):
    -Frenzy (Ongoing): Your Cultists now have a combat value of 1.
    -The Red Sign (Ongoing): Your Dark Young can now Build Gates, Control Gates, and earn 1 Power each during the Gather Power phase. They also add 1 Combat during battle. They do not act as Cultists with respect to any other purpose.
    -Ghroth (Action: Cost 2): Roll 1 die. If the result is equal to or less than the number of Areas containing Fungi, your enemies must eliminate Cultists equal to the roll, between them. They have 1 minute to decide how many each should lose. If they cannot agree, you choose for them.
    -Blood Sacrifice (Ongoing): If Shub-Niggurath is in play during the Doom Phase, you can choose to eliminate one of your Cultists (from anywhere on the map). If you do so, get 1 Elder Sign.
    -Necrophagy (Post-Battle): Move any or all Ghouls (who were also not involved) from any Area to the Battle Area, even if you are not involved in a Battle. For each Ghoul so moved, both sides in the Battle suffer an additional Pain result.
    -The Thousand Young (Ongoing): If Shub-Niggurath is in play, Ghouls, Fungi, and Dark Young cost 1 less Power each to summon.

Crawling Chaos Spellbooks:
    -Seek and Destroy (Pre-Battle): Immediately move any or all Hunting Horrors from any Area to the Battle Area.
    -As your Action for a Round, pay 6 Power
    -Invisibility (Pre-Battle): Select one Monster or Cultist (from either Faction) per Flying Polyp present and "exempt" it. The selected Unit takes no part in the rest of the Battle.
    -Abduct (Pre-Battle): Eliminate one or more Nightgaunts in the Battle Area. For each such Nightgaunt, your opponent must eliminate one of his own Monsters or Cultists (his choice) in the Area. After this, combat proceeds.
    -Madness (Ongoing): You get to choose which adjacent Area enemy Units flee to on a Pain result. This happens even in Battles in which you do not participate.
    -The Thousand Forms (Action: Cost 0): If Nyarlathotep is in play, roll 1d6. Your foes must lose that much Power between them, they have 1 minute to decide how much each loses. If they cannot agree, you get the rolled number as Power added to your total. Flip this spellbook face-down to indicate it cannot be used again this turn. During Gather Power, flip it face-up again.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Ritual part of Doom Phase (round 6):

The remaining rituals cost, in order, 8, 8, 9, and 10.

Jam Warrior also indicated his decision to perform a ritual in his PM.

Yellow Sign rituals. 19 Power > 8 Power. Yellow gains 2 Doom (putting him at 11 Doom) and 2 Elder signs.

@admanb to declare if he will ritual for a cost of 8.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
    @Astaereth I never got the power for sacrificing captured acolytes. Also I had 2 of them: one red acolyte from the north atlantic and one green acolyte from Indian Ocean. I think I should have 18 power.

edited June 2015
    Actually I will reverse the order given the power totals. Stops end of world via doom track this turn as Red won't have enough power assuming everyone else rituals.

So @Lykouragh to ritual or not first.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Yellow Sign rituals. 19 Power > 8 Power. Yellow gains 2 Doom (putting him at 11 Doom) and 1 Elder sign.

Yellow gets 2 elder signs for having 2 GOOs.

No Wait!

Reverse order gives Green enough power to ritual and raise Cthulhu next turn for another sign.

Thinking... thinking...

Stick with the original order and bank on Red not wanting to use all his power on a ritual for a single measly point.

So @admanb to choose to ritual or pass first.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Posts corrected for MrBody's power and Jam's Elder Signs.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    Red should have 10 power (the half is rounded up).

MrBody wrote: »
    Red should have 10 power (the half is rounded up).

Fixed, thank you.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    So we're waiting on @admanb to ritual right?

He would only get 1 doom and no elder signs :\