As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The JRPG thread. Which E3 JRPG are you most excited for?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    yeah I'm basically a nazi

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Pip did you really not know what an umlaut is

I expected better from you

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Nokia Watch
    Best JURP

VayBJ4e.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

my eyes have actually been really bad the last few days

but no I know what they are, two dots over a letter

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    PiptheFair wrote: »

my eyes have actually been really bad the last few days

but no I know what they are, two dots over a letter

That sucks. :(

It isn't quite the grim cyberpunk future yet or I'd mail you a new set of eyes

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    DWbwZ.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    that... is pretty good actually

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    It never ceases to amuse me how in some art Barret looks like he's about to nab both of the ladies under his arms and run off like some sort of cave troll.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Oh shit Tifa is in that picture.

I totally didn't notice her at first.

X22wmuF.jpg
    edited June 2015
    FF7 remake
    Barret why are you so huge

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Larlar
    From the wikia:

Height:

Cloud: 5' 7" (173 cm)
    Tifa: 5'4" (167 cm)
    Barret: 6'4" (197 cm)
    Aeris: 5' 3" (163 cm)[

The Rock is around the same height as Barret

latest?cb=20081023004830

Peas on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Dork Souls III, Fire Emblem, Nier, Persona, Fire Emblem again, and stuff that isn't E3-JRPG.

Nier 2
    Peas wrote: »
    From the wikia:

Height:

Cloud: 5' 7" (173 cm)
    Tifa: 5'4" (167 cm)
    Barret: 6'4" (197 cm)
    Aeris: 5' 3" (163 cm)[

The Rock is around the same height as Barret

latest?cb=20081023004830

The fact that I'm 3 inches taller than Cloud will never stop being funny to me.

X22wmuF.jpg
    FF7 remake
    I'm the same height as Barret and yeah, I do often feel I could just scoop people up with my truck-sized hand.

In other news, the upcoming port of the original FFVII is getting a re-translation.

I figured as much; the port is essentially to get people (new and old) excited about the remake. It's also good news for anyone who wants to stick to the original game, whether they're uninterested or disappointed in the Remake. In my case, that means I now have two FFVII releases to look forward to.

For a look at what a properly translated FFVII might look like, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEyIdWzehbk

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Inch taller than Barret. I can't scoop anyone up, but I do loom by default over pretty much everyone.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I would be down with The Rock playing Barrett in the live action adaptation of FFVII

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Radius wrote: »
    I would be down with The Rock playing Barrett in the live action adaptation of FFVII

"Daddy's got to go to work."

*straps a minigun to his wrist*

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    I hope they change the fuck out of FFVII. Mainly the writing. Give the writing task to CDProject, please.

FF7 remake
    I hope they change the fuck out of FFVII. Mainly the writing. Give the writing task to CDProject, please.

Cloud now awakens in the church to find Aerith casually bathing in a bathtub right in the middle.

• AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular

Don Corneo is now a terribly flawed but ultimately sympathetic character who is only trying to put back together the remains of his family.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Tifa is completely unchanged, only now her name is Triss.

dN0T6ur.png
    cid is still an abusive asshole that flies an airship

FF7 remake
    Advocate wrote: »

Don Corneo is now a terribly flawed but ultimately sympathetic character who is only trying to put back together the remains of his family.

That...actually sounds like an improvement.

Alternatively, dial down the rapey aspects and make him more of a comical mob boss like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N26wnyWmg5M

(that is an amazing dub)

FF7 remake
    By the way, since we were talking about brother/sister relationships in JRPGs, it should be interesting to note that World of Final Fantasy's protagonists are siblings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_No3HEjvLrw

I'm reasonably confident they won't make the relationship gross.

Also the game is totes adorbes.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I've always viewed Don Corneo as a joke character.

Not as in, "Haha, he's a funny" joke character.

But as in, "This guy is a small time piece of shit and we are going to kick his ass to the goddamn moon" kind of joke character.

I never saw anything that Don did or said as any kind of legit threat to your party.

But as in, "This guy is a small time piece of shit and we are going to kick his ass to the goddamn moon" kind of joke character.

I never saw anything that Don did or said as any kind of legit threat to your party.

he literally attempts to rape a teenage girl

This is an actual question.

Do you mean Tifa and Aerith? Because I don't remember him doing that to anyone else other than his intro scene that shows him as a piece of shit that your party is going to wreck.

But as for those two.

Tifa, "I literally broke out by myself because these dudes are PUNKS" Tifa?

Aerith, "I'm part GOD and can commune directly with the lifestream" Aerith?

Don Corneo is a piece of shit, and would be terrifying in any normal circumstance.

But there was absolutly, 100%, ZERO chance that Don Corneo could act on ANY of his threats, in universe, to those characters, because they would both kick the shit out of them, and only maintained cover so that they could evacuate his mansion and free his hostages....

Where there hostages? I vaugly remember that being the excuse of why you just didn't walk into his mansion and stomp his shit in.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem Fates
    He could have been trying to rape the supreme master of the entire universe and he'd still be an attempted rapist

dN0T6ur.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

Do you mean Tifa and Aerith? Because I don't remember him doing that to anyone else other than his intro scene that shows him as a piece of shit that your party is going to wreck.

But as for those two.

Don Corneo is a piece of shit, and would be terrifying in any normal circumstance.

But there was absolutly, 100%, ZERO chance that Don Corneo could act on ANY of his threats, in universe, to those characters, because they would both kick the shit out of them, and only maintained cover so that they could evacuate his mansion and free his hostages....

Where there hostages? I vaugly remember that being the excuse of why you just didn't walk into his mansion and stomp his shit in.

He kidnaps, binds, and attempts to rape Yuffie and Elena

But as for those two.

yuffie

Nier 2

But as for those two.

There were not.

They snuck in because they figured Corneo would have some kind of escape route.

Which he did, he just ended up dropping them down it instead.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Wyborn wrote: »
    He could have been trying to rape the supreme master of the entire universe and he'd still be an attempted rapist

I....I have that dvd.

No, I mean, I understand he's a horrible character and a horrible villian. I'm not saying he wasn't an attempted rapist.

Hell I'm 99% sure he was an ACTUAL rapist.

But he was a joke character, as in, he was not an "in world" threat to your party.

The character's in play aren't deprived of their ability to act, they are not at his mercy. They are stalling for time for his inevitable beatdown, and everything he says drives forward the goal to make you, the player, want to relish the moment of kicking his teeth in.

He's not portayed as a threat, he is portayed as someone who is RIGHTEOUSLY deserving a beatdown, and every moment he breaths is because you don't want to beat him into a bloody pulp JUST YET, yet every second he lives he just does MORE to make you want to kick his teeth in but NOT YET, NOT YEOKAY, MURDERDEATHHIM.

I would have way WAY more of a problem with that whole sequence if it wasn't blatently obvious your party was the ones in control of the situation, not him. No one is drugged up and made weak in order to make him a "threatning" villian.

He's a joke, a worthless piece of shit, is treated like a joke and a worthless piece of shit, and you kick his ass like the joke, and the worthless piece of shit that he is.

edited June 2015
    FF7 remake
    It's true that Don Corneo is played up as more of a nuisance then an actual threat. And there is some satisfaction in having your main female characters confident and powerful enough to not feel even remotely threatened by his advances. I mentioned before how that led to one of my favorite Tifa moments.

But as far as Yuffie goes, she is tied up against her will with no way to break free, while Corneo eagerly anticipates what he's going to do with her. Again, the context of the game plays it up to be comical, in that "she's not really in danger" sort of sense.

You were able to kind of get away with it with the lego visuals and overall tone, but this simply cannot exist now. Not only is the political climate much more sensitive, the fact of the matter is that now you're going to use fully proportioned, semi-realistic HD models. It just can't work. It's a matter of "this looks too realistic now".

Same with bits like Cloud rummaging through Tifa's drawers so he could pocket a pair of her panties. Original game? Kind of funny, because once more the cartoonish visual style played a hand in it.

Now imagine that scene again but with this character model:

sammemejias-imagelair-finalfantasy7-advent-children-cloudstrife+%281%29.png

Not as funny now. Kind of incredibly unnerving, in fact.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I am looking forward to fire emblem the most

Even though every update they put out is like it's designed to try and make me a little less excited

2x39jD4.jpg
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

I....I have that dvd.

Bad joke

I had a lot longer post I may finish later but just

Bad joke

lfYVHTd.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Wait, in that scene where Cloud rummages through Tifa's dresser doesn't it then immediately cut back to the present with Tifa et al staring at Cloud and asking if he really did that? Because I could see that in HD with just every member of the party giving Cloud the stinkeye.

edited June 2015
    FF7 remake
    Madican wrote: »
    Wait, in that scene where Cloud rummages through Tifa's dresser doesn't it then immediately cut back to the present with Tifa et al staring at Cloud and asking if he really did that? Because I could see that in HD with just every member of the party giving Cloud the stinkeye.

Unless it includes a face-punch prompt (fingers still crossed) I prefer they not do it.

They could do a rewind-in-time "Just kidding." bit (which is present in other areas of the flashback) but even then, ehhh.

Nier 2
    Man, Gold Saucer in HD is going to be a trip.

I hope the chocobo race track is just as nonsensical in the remake as it was in the original.

X22wmuF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.