As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Our furry companions (nsf56k)

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    She went peacefully and without any pain and we were holding her when she went and that's the best we could do for her. I always put up a front that I didn't like her and that she was Heathers cat and not mine but I loved her a bunch.

awwwwwwwwwwww <3<3<3

I had a fat fat kitty named P-Fat years ago. She got cancerous lumps in her ample squooshy belly and one day I came home and she was hiding in the closet, glassy eyed and panting. I had some friends drive me to the vet, totally assuming this would just be another quick check up and maybe a pill prescription. Nope, the doctors took one look at her and asked if I wanted to be in the room when she went.

It was like I was crushed under a truck. I know I said yes and I held her and apologized over and over when she went and then I don't remember anything. I know my friends found me on a highway leading back home crying like a 5 year old.

Pets!

edit: ah fuck super depressing totp. sorry all. here's an adorable kitten

kitten.jpg

I'm so sorry. :(

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    For Haechi - who admittedly is only vaguely trained, okay, yes - if he does something VERY bad I put him in "time out" which is just a room or place where he can't be with me. If I can't do that then I say "time out" and I ignore him for a few minutes, turning away from him etc. I find he's pretty good at determining body language.

My dog is like... Quite Not Smart, though.

I tried for months to get him to do the "don't eat the food yet" trick and I think his puppyhood of starving mountain dogness overrides any inclination to not EAT FOOD IMMEDIATELY.

Mum's partner managed to get their shelter dog who used to basically swallow her entire dinner in one go, to only eat when allowed to (with the bowl of food on the floor in front of her), and to pause when told to during eating. Took a while, but it can happen.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    For Haechi - who admittedly is only vaguely trained, okay, yes - if he does something VERY bad I put him in "time out" which is just a room or place where he can't be with me. If I can't do that then I say "time out" and I ignore him for a few minutes, turning away from him etc. I find he's pretty good at determining body language.

I tried for months to get him to do the "don't eat the food yet" trick and I think his puppyhood of starving mountain dogness overrides any inclination to not EAT FOOD IMMEDIATELY.

Mum's partner managed to get their shelter dog who used to basically swallow her entire dinner in one go, to only eat when allowed to (with the bowl of food on the floor in front of her), and to pause when told to during eating. Took a while, but it can happen.

I feed scout a little bit at a time because he used to eat so fast he'd throw up

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Yeaaahhhh

I'm just gonna

Roll with Haechi's current level of training.

He's well-behaved and friendly, so there's that.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    It's true that in mornings he DOES army crawl up your back and stick his nose in your face if you don't wake up appropriately early.

And he is a bit of a bed hog.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    scout takes up more of the bed than I do

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's true that in mornings he DOES army crawl up your back and stick his nose in your face if you don't wake up appropriately early.

When I was growing up, our (very large) dog had an unerring ability to know where your butt was in the bed, and woke people up by sticking her nose under the covers and poking you repeatedly in the butt cheeks

bad enough if you were in pj's but my dad slept nude, and I gather that was most unpleasant.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

When I was growing up, our (very large) dog had an unerring ability to know where your butt was in the bed, and woke people up by sticking her nose under the covers and poking you repeatedly in the butt cheeks

bad enough if you were in pj's but my dad slept nude, and I gather that was most unpleasant.

On the other hand, it's an incredibly effective alarm clock. Probably not programmable though.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I feed scout a little bit at a time because he used to eat so fast he'd throw up

You can get special bowls for that! You can also try just dropping a tennis ball in there with his food so he has to push it around to get to the food. I've also read some people have success with using a muffin pan instead of a regular food bowl. Smaller cups makes it harder to gulp down and they tend to finish one cup completely before starting on the next.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    My youngest dog gets so fucking excited when my alarm goes off and it's a night he's lucky enough to be sleeping in my bed.

He makes sure I'm awake and tries to start get me moving and then he goes to the other dog and makes sure he's awake and tries to get him out of bed, then he'll move back and forth between the two of us if we're not moving fast enough.

zkHcp.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Lola taught herself to get ready to pee when my phone alarm goes off.

It has caused many a minor tradgedy

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I have a friend with a dog who eats so fast he has to stop and sit down to swallow. Reminds me a bit of how a chicken eats.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    this is my dad's dog, timmy

cKWEa6Fl.jpg

he is beautiful, as you can see. in the above photo he is enjoying not being outside

xZ0unvLl.png

handsome timothy is an insatiable party animal in both literal and figurative senses

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
    Haechi is a shockingly reliable alarm clock.

If you aren't up at 7:30 he will LET YOU KNOW.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    my cats wake me up at 3AM for breakfast on the dot. they are very reliable and I love them!

however they don't actually eat until 5:30 and they ruin my sleep every fucking day AND I LOOOOOOOVE THEEEEEEEEEM ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

#pipe wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

You can get special bowls for that! You can also try just dropping a tennis ball in there with his food so he has to push it around to get to the food. I've also read some people have success with using a muffin pan instead of a regular food bowl. Smaller cups makes it harder to gulp down and they tend to finish one cup completely before starting on the next.

you do not understand how goddamn stubborn this dog is

also it's just easier for me to do it this way, as he normall eats by my computer desk anyway

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Lola taught herself to get ready to pee when my phone alarm goes off.

It has caused many a minor tradgedy

My ferrets have learned what time I feed them and take them out for playtime.

It's funny how disappointed they look if I'm late to either.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    My last roommates had to get one of those tricky bowls for their dogs, though that was mainly to slow down the big one enough that she wouldn't get a chance to eat the small one's food.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    This is Luther and he is the best.

20140916_140444_zpsboyabpa0.jpg

He's kind of a dingus. He also think's he's sneakier than he actually is.

20140824_220419_zpsi3vrebtn.jpg

A very poor choice of a head rest

20141017_141212_zpsgybougzx.jpg

Paint me like one of you etc etc

20150530_093050_zpst2yzcj6x.jpg

X22wmuF.jpg
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Here is me and Kali. She is one of the lady's parent's cats. They have 5, but she is the best. She is a manx, so she was born without a tail. Despite what you may initially wonder, she does like being held like that. Kitty baby style. She curls her legs right up and purrs, she will even fall asleep that way.

sufwg30y61ce.jpg

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    This thread reminded me I'm a terrible person and forgot to feed the cats their half can each of wet food this morning, so even though we free feed dry I'm convinced they've been starving to death. We have what we call a 'catio' which is a weird inset area where because we live in a basement apartment they wanted us to have full size kitchen windows so they dug out an area about 5 1/2 feet deep and put a bolted metal grating over it so we cleared it out and let the cats go out there and chill - that's why in one photo, Milton looks like he's in kitty prison

hi38t21u6x81.jpg
    mqf7t5qn3xn7.jpg
    1ycnox2rsji1.jpg
    kh70a97i2uhf.jpg

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    These aren't really furry companions per se, more like the true masters of the house and overlords to the humans who live there

ASASjTI.jpg

Here they are implementing the dreaded D'awwww Maneuver, guaranteeing any nearby humans (i.e. me) come and pet them and play with them for hours on end.

it is impossible to not touch bunnies

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I used to have a pet bunny way back when that was free to roam the house.

The prick would stomp on me while I slept if she decided she wanted pets. It had so much personality...all of it bossy

My 5th grade class had rabbits. They started as bunnies and when they grew up, they were able to escape from their "hutch" (which was just a repurposed aquarium) every night. I was typically the first person to arrive in the morning, even before the homeroom teacher, so I was the one who got to wade through the carpet of rabbit poop to hunt them down every morning. I got over touching them pretty quickly.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

My 5th grade class had rabbits. They started as bunnies and when they grew up, they were able to escape from their "hutch" (which was just a repurposed aquarium) every night. I was typically the first person to arrive in the morning, even before the homeroom teacher, so I was the one who got to wade through the carpet of rabbit poop to hunt them down every morning. I got over touching them pretty quickly.

sounds to me like you still touched them tho

HA HA

STILL IMPOSSIBLE

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I don't touch bunnies every day.

edited June 2015
    Melding wrote: »
    I don't touch bunnies every day.

if there was available bunny, amply provided, you would

you would have to

cute-bunnies-tongues-6.jpg

Magic Pink on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I'm super allergic to bunnies/guinea pigs. :(

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Dammit I forgot to take new pics of Archie today.

On the topic of food though, he's surprisingly great about eating. Despite having loads of energy we actually free feed the little guy, and he'll eat whenever he feels like it without overdoing it. He didn't get to eating his available-in-his-bowl breakfast today until about noon.

sounds to me like you still touched them tho

HA HA

STILL IMPOSSIBLE

DANG IT!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    20150618_115656_1024.png

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    We got a "gobble stopper" for Lando

It's a little thing you suction to the bowl that turns and keeps the dog from scarfing down the food

He broke it within a day

Also he outsmarted this toy

Qa1gZc8.jpg

This is why we can't have nice things!

• cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    my cats wake me up at 3AM for breakfast on the dot. they are very reliable and I love them!

however they don't actually eat until 5:30 and they ruin my sleep every fucking day AND I LOOOOOOOVE THEEEEEEEEEM ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

Odin has a routine. He gets half a can of wet food a day, at 5 am. He will wake you up for it by sitting on your head at 4:59 until you get up and give it to him.

Problem is, he takes one bite, looks at it, then walks off and leaves it for the other cats. Little jerk.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Lando used to sleep nice and late with us and be fed whenever we get up

Lately whenever someone even stirs if it's past 5am he is up and atem and feed me now

And after that he just goes right back to bed!

What a jerk

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    We got a "gobble stopper" for Lando

It's a little thing you suction to the bowl that turns and keeps the dog from scarfing down the food

He broke it within a day

Also he outsmarted this toy
    Qa1gZc8.jpg

This is why we can't have nice things!

My mom has this bowl for her golden lab. It works quite well.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Izzy doesn't even get fed in the mornings except for the dry food I keep out. She gets her wet food at night. Doesn't stop her from batting me in the face in the mornings to wake me up.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    Both my of my cats preferred method of waking me is walking up my sleeping form and ramming their head into my face repeatedly until I wake up.

Then they sprawl on the bed next to me and present their tummies for rubs.

*Internally Screaming*
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Elsie, mum's vacuum dog, was sitting on the front verandah one evening back when she was an only dog. She had a squeaky chew toy and was giving it good gnawing on, then she started singing to it as it squeaked. It was pretty adorable.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    My dog is fluffy
    u1vD1vs.jpg

This discussion has been closed.