As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Its a great big [Steven Universe] out there!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    This latest episode is great.
    It's a little weird that Garnet tells Mr Universe that he has to dance like himself, but when Steven was learning how to fuse they made him copy all of their moves. I guess the Gems were just trying to humour Steven, not actually teach him to fuse. Why else would they teach him the exact opposite of how to fuse?

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Huh

Im glad Rebecca enjoyed do it for her but it was maybe the weakest song in the series for me

Great ep tho

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Little Amethyst drumming :3

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Garnets entire purpose in this show
    Running around giving Fusion advise.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Now that we've gotten another episode
    I definitely love the way they characterize Rose. Its a tightrope walk. She has to feel ancient and alien and yet warm and open.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    This has not been a good week to be a Pearl fan :[

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Just finished "We Have To Talk".

I don't know how this show continues to be so great, so honest, and so interesting. It's about alien rock people!

I love it.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    huh, that teaser picture of greg and rose didn't show up in the episode (I think?)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    This has not been a good week to be a Pearl fan :[

It's actually stuff like this that makes me appreciate Pearl more as a character, I mean, without these real, deep-running flaws she's just kind of generically prissy and rules-focused (albeit with great style).

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Just re-watched Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem last night. Amethyst is such a wonderful jerk about the pile Pearl made. Never ceases to make laugh.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    "I like the way, human beings play, I like playing along" Whoa.

I can't even gather my thoughts on this episode. It probably set a record for heartbreaking moments in 11 minutes. Even at the end, when I thought I was safe, one last gutpunch.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Little Amethyst drumming :3
    All demanding snacks afterwards, as payment.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I'd sorta hoped (latest ep spoilers)
    Pearl would be above petty jealousy

But it was too obvious not to be a plot point

And it also does seem super petty, as in, not major. She doesn't seem to be hugely serious or broken hearted about it, it appears as more of a self confidence problem. Which is, in itself, a running theme with her and Rose's relationship. I get the impression she's never had any confidence in her position by Rose's side, and that's why during the war she had to show off by suicidally standing as Rose's shield.

I actually think both this episode and Sworn the the Sword have done a lot to define Pearl, if not especially progress her character.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

And it also does seem super petty, as in, not major. She doesn't seem to be hugely serious or broken hearted about it, it appears as more of a self confidence problem. Which is, in itself, a running theme with her and Rose's relationship. I get the impression she's never had any confidence in her position by Rose's side, and that's why during the war she had to show off by suicidally standing as Rose's shield.

I actually think both this episode and Sworn the the Sword have done a lot to define Pearl, if not especially progress her character.
    It definitely seems like until the last minutes she sees him as just another one of her flings, a way for her to relieve some of the pressure she's under. Something she's witnessed, apparently.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

The whole deal with that relationship is that
    Pearl loves Rose with a laser-focused intensity that eclipses all else, and Rose, who loves everything, can't possibly reciprocate it to the same degree. Pearl knows this on some level, but is kind of in denial about it.

Sometimes it makes me question why Rose went along with it. There's no way she was oblivious to what was going on, and it isn't a terribly healthy relationship by the show's otherwise-high standards. The best theory I can come up with is that Pearl is so much more of a real person compared to whatever limited existence the gem servant caste was designed for that Rose was afraid she just wasn't capable of developing any more independence than she had already, and it was better to give back what love she could and humor her than to push her away and risk regression. (Which would be too pessimistic a view to survive the show, except Steven will no doubt be able to push Pearl through it.)

Any way you look at it, it's all downhill for Past Pearl from here. Even if, optimistically, Rose behaves like someone in a polyamorous relationship and Pearl mostly learns to deal with it, Rose's plan to give birth to Steven is going to crush her. And, based on the issues that Pearl obviously still has to this day, I have a hunch that Rose is going to keep her together through skilled diplomacy moreso than real personal growth. Convince Pearl to reorient her love for Rose into devotion for Steven rather than leave her to wallow in perceived abandonment.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i sort of have a knot in my gut about Rose
    I'm starting to wonder if maybe she wasn't the perfect flawless person that the gems make her out to be

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm starting to wonder if maybe she wasn't the perfect flawless person that the gems make her out to be

Life Spoiler:
    No one is.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Pretty certain we've seen the start of it this episode.
    She's going to end up being a better person because of her relationship to Greg. She started off as a bit clueless about how Greg was really feeling but she wants to understand. I think that path is gonna end with her deciding on the whole Steven thing as somebody who could truly understand the whole human/gem thing.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    We Need to Talk:

stock-footage-lighter-lit-in-the-dark.jpg

Keeping it Together talk since it replayed.
    That isn't music...
    its screaming in pain and horror

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    When I started the show, Pearl was my favourite by far.

Once Season 1 ended, Garnet had shot up from like 4th or 5th place to be tied for first. And they were really close for a while.

But as of this episode I think Garnet is my favourite character, and Pearl is second. I still really enjoy Pearl's character and I think that it's great that she has actual flaws that make me care about her and want her to develop past, but she's been a bit of a jerk (even if sometimes well-meaning) for a little bit now.

Maybe in the future, once she's grown past some of those flaws, she can reclaim her place at the top of the list, but until then, I'm a Garnet person.

Amethyst unfortunately ranks pretty low actually. Definitely behind any other major character (Greg, Steven, Connie, Rose) and maybe even behind some secondary characters?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Also as someone who is still way awkward about relationships, I can really appreciate how Greg and Rose's relationship is developing.

Especially
    "So what do we do now?"
    "Let's just talk."

I've had pretty much that exact same conversation. It feels pretty damn real.

I know it's been said before, but this show has the best take on healthy relationships I have ever seen in any media. Even lots of adult-focused shows where that's the whole purpose.

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Wyvern wrote: »

Pearl loves Rose with a laser-focused intensity that eclipses all else, and Rose, who loves everything, can't possibly reciprocate it to the same degree. Pearl knows this on some level, but is kind of in denial about it.

Sometimes it makes me question why Rose went along with it. There's no way she was oblivious to what was going on, and it isn't a terribly healthy relationship by the show's otherwise-high standards. The best theory I can come up with is that Pearl is so much more of a real person compared to whatever limited existence the gem servant caste was designed for that Rose was afraid she just wasn't capable of developing any more independence than she had already, and it was better to give back what love she could and humor her than to push her away and risk regression. (Which would be too pessimistic a view to survive the show, except Steven will no doubt be able to push Pearl through it.)

Any way you look at it, it's all downhill for Past Pearl from here. Even if, optimistically, Rose behaves like someone in a polyamorous relationship and Pearl mostly learns to deal with it, Rose's plan to give birth to Steven is going to crush her. And, based on the issues that Pearl obviously still has to this day, I have a hunch that Rose is going to keep her together through skilled diplomacy moreso than real personal growth. Convince Pearl to reorient her love for Rose into devotion for Steven rather than leave her to wallow in perceived abandonment.
    Rose & Pearl
    I don't think Rose went along with it. I mean, she did, but only because she had to. She tried to stop Pearl but couldn't. Pearl was so willing to sacrifice herself for Rose, even when it was unnecessary and it hurt Rose that she was sacrificing herself.

That's why I think of Pearl as a bit "M'Lady" or fedora-y, she puts her own feelings of dedication to Rose above Rose's feelings. This leads to her to hurting herself and Rose "for Rose's sake" and Rose has no say in the matter. Which is messed up.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    This last episode was... maybe my favorite Steven Universe episode so far? Like... damn. Damn. It helps that this episode is really the first one where we really get to know Rose. What she was really like. Also really said a lot about Greg's character too.

And I know people might have got annoyed at Pearl in this episode but... love can make you act like that! People aren't perfect is love is always messy. I still adore Pearl.

Edit: Also Garnet is the best Wingma-uh, Winggem.

Gundi on
  • Options
    I don't think its fair to blame Rose for the way Pearl was
    Niether has many options. Rose doesn't want that kind of relationship but Pearl has no real way of distancing herself from Rose without being exiled from her own kind and there are no other viable partners(assuming Pearl is a Gemsexuel) so she's just stuck watching Rose pursue various relationships.

Its not fair to ask Pearl to abandon her feelings or her home but its also not fair to stop Rose from dating.

Its just a really bad situation.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Pearl and Rose:
    I'm still not really convinced it was a romantic thing

People can be devoted to a person and a cause without being in love, and that seems more like what they've shown so far to me

I could be wrong though

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Pearl and Rose:

People can be devoted to a person and a cause without being in love, and that seems more like what they've shown so far to me

I could be wrong though
    If it wasn't romantic then she wouldn't be as jealous of Greg as she was.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Pearl and Rose:

I could be wrong though
    If it wasn't romantic then she wouldn't be as jealous of Greg as she was.

I think shed be way more, actually

• Options
    I'm glad this whole week of episodes have all been pretty great. The documentary episode was the weakest but I think it's important to occasionally pull a bit back from Steven's world to get outside perspectives.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    It seems fairly unrequited at least.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options

Rose & Pearl
    I don't think Rose went along with it. I mean, she did, but only because she had to. She tried to stop Pearl but couldn't. Pearl was so willing to sacrifice herself for Rose, even when it was unnecessary and it hurt Rose that she was sacrificing herself.

That's why I think of Pearl as a bit "M'Lady" or fedora-y, she puts her own feelings of dedication to Rose above Rose's feelings. This leads to her to hurting herself and Rose "for Rose's sake" and Rose has no say in the matter. Which is messed up.
    The Rose we saw in Rose's Scabbard seemed to be largely playing the role of the possessive lover that Pearl expected of her. But I suppose it's as likely as not that Pearl is deep enough in denial that it's warped her memory of those days and they were never really that close.

• Options
    edited June 2015

Rose & Pearl

The Rose we saw in Rose's Scabbard seemed to be largely playing the role of the possessive lover that Pearl expected of her. But I suppose it's as likely as not that Pearl is deep enough in denial that it's warped her memory of those days and they were never really that close.

I don't think Rose "says" anything in Rose's Scabbard that reads that way.

EDIT-I guess maybe "my Pearl".

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    tumblr_nq5oj19HJs1qgydino1_1280.jpg

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I think they're doing the best thing with Rose. Just look at her scene in Lion 3: Straight to Video and compare it to this.

In that previous episode she's so much more human and treats Greg just like a husband. It really shows the transformation their relationship will eventually have on her.

Regarding Pearl, I really hope we get a flashback episode where Pearl comes around more to Greg and they become friends.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Viskod wrote: »
    Regarding Pearl, I really hope we get a flashback episode where Pearl comes around more to Greg and they become friends.
    Yeeeeeeah, that seems like a thing that's...probably not going to happen. Neither Garnet nor Pearl seemed to hold Greg in particularly high regard even in the modern era (until Garnet's moment in The Message, at least). If anything it'll go the other way.

Wyvern on
  • Options
    Also Chincy I mean... how could you possibly argue at this point that Pearl didn't have romantic feelings for Rose? She's not jealous of Rose's relationships with Garnet or Amethyst, only the relationship between Rose and Greg.

Like, I don't know how you define romantic (And hell, I'm kind of curious how the Gems categorize their relationships, because they're different enough from humans that maybe putting human labels on them isn't really accurate.) but that's certainly what it looks like. The show's creators are obviously intending for it to be that way. I mean... Pearl is jealous of Greg, Pearl blushes every time she remembers Rose, Pearl fuses with Rose, which we already know from Garnet is one way gems can express their love for one another, as a way of trying to dissuade him from pursuing the relationship. If the show's creators are intending to show Pearl's feelings towards Rose as non-romantic than they're doing a bad job of it. And I don't think they'd mess up something that important. Pearl loved Rose. And not like a mother or a sister but as a, for lack of a better word, lover. (Which again, using human terminology with relationships based on foundations so fundamentally different is maybe not accurate.)

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    Also Chincy I mean... how could you possibly argue at this point that Pearl didn't have romantic feelings for Rose? She's not jealous of Rose's relationships with Garnet or Amethyst, only the relationship between Rose and Greg.

Like, I don't know how you define romantic (And hell, I'm kind of curious how the Gems categorize their relationships, because they're different enough from humans that maybe putting human labels on them isn't really accurate.) but that's certainly what it looks like. The show's creators are obviously intending for it to be that way. I mean... Pearl is jealous of Greg, Pearl blushes every time she remembers Rose, Pearl fuses with Rose, which we already know from Garnet is one way gems can express their love for one another, as a way of trying to dissuade him from pursuing the relationship. If the show's creators are intending to show Pearl's feelings towards Rose as non-romantic than they're doing a bad job of it. And I don't think they'd mess up something that important. Pearl loved Rose. And not like a mother or a sister but as a, for lack of a better word, lover. (Which again, using human terminology with relationships based on foundations so fundamentally different is maybe not accurate.)

Eh, I just don't see it that way

Most of the language Pearl uses is much more along the lines of respect and devotion like for a king or queen

If I'm proved wrong thats cool too! But it doesn't read that way to me at all

• Options
    I think Pearl is doing courtly love, like a knight.

• Options
    "Why would I want to go back... if you're here?"
    "You're wonderful."
    "None of you can understand... none of you had what Rose and I had!"
    "Rose made me feel like I was everything."
    Etc, etc. I could keep going.

• Options
    tumblr_nq5w4jjflR1sp61p9o1_1280.png

I'm genuinely so proud this show's made, popular, and its station openly does stuff like this. It's really important as an LGBT person to see

Also, have this, thread

UmNdy6F.png?1

• Options
    MAYOR DEWEY

This discussion has been closed.