As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of banners and bloodstains...

ScopsScops Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Artist's Corner
I mentioned before that I'm working on both designing and creating a set of banners for an upcoming halloween party (although the party is actually several weeks after halloween). I've been sketching a few ideas for a little while, and today, with the aid of a few friends, I finally got started on actually making the banners. This is what's been done so far...

halloweenbanner1pp0.jpg

Eventually, there should be six completed banners. More would have been done, except the cloth took ages to dry after we stained/crumpled it. Also, sorry for the shoddy quality of the photo. :|

EDIT: If you're wondering, I'm well aware the skull looks nothing like a real human skull. An explanation is in the posts following.

Scops on

• The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Did you happen to look up what a skull looks like? Because it doesn't really look like you did...

_1323485_skull150.jpg

That is the human skull in all it's glory, lol.

Now, if you compare your skull with this one here, you notice that:

1) you're missing part of the jaw, but I'm just going to say that's intentional (though you didn't exactly have to compare your banner to the picture to figure out it was missing the lower part of it's jaw, hahaha).

2)the eyes sockets are really, reeeeeaaaalllyyyyy small.

3) the nasal cavity doesn't look quite right

4) the teeth look pretty weird. Like they're not actually part of the skul, but someone had just come up to it and glued them on there. And, they're too far down on the skull.

May I ask how large this banner is? Because some of the designgs seem a little too small to really notice when passing by, or looking at it casually. Like some of the dots seem a little unnecessary.

Well, it's a good start though.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • ScopsScops Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I know the skull looks absolutely nothing like a real skull, I didn't intend it to. The whole thing is meant to resemble a sort of necromancer ritual, and because of this, I only wanted the skull to be a recognizable representation of a human skull, but still look nothing like it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, each banner is either 45cm x 180cm, or 45cm x 160cm. If I remeber correctly, two of them are 180cm long, and the other four, 160cm.

Scops on
    edited October 2006
    Well then. Good job making it look "absolutely nothing like a real skull" .

Maybe you should have mentioned in your first part that you weren't going for the actual skull look, because I can tell you now that the thing people here would have picked apart the most in your banner is:

-the skull

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
    edited October 2006
    Good point, I'll edit the first post to include that.

Scops on
    edited October 2006
    It's a little late.

:roll:

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
    edited October 2006
    Meh, some people might not bother reading the other posts.

Scops on
    edited October 2006
    WELL, considering it says in da rules that one should read all the other posts before posting their own crits/comments unless there are a ridiculous amounts of replies), I doubt it.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
    edited October 2006
    *shrugs* It couldn't hurt could it?

Scops on
  • M2tMM2tM Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    WELL, considering it says in da rules that one should read all the other posts before posting their own crits/comments unless there are a ridiculous amounts of replies), I doubt it.

If a topic is over 2 or 3 pages long I don't.

M2tM on
    "We can be richer than industry as long as we know that there are things that we don't really need." -Willy Mason
    edited October 2006
    M2tM wrote:

Well this isn't even over 2 pages. If it's 3 or more I scan the replies.

ANYWAY, back on topic! lol

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    M2tM wrote:

Well this isn't even over 2 pages. If it's 3 or more I scan the replies.

ANYWAY, back on topic! lol

uuuhhh.gif

multimoog on
    edited October 2006
    ... Alright. :?

Well, the next banner I have planned contains a human spine; I guess I'll try taking a more realistic approach this time.

Scops on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I personally think it would've looked better if the skull were more "realistic", albeit a little stylized. ie: a lower jaw wouldn't be a bad thing ;)

But hey, that's just my opinion.

And overall, I think thicker, messier brush strokes would suit it alot better. So it looks like it's been applied in some fashion involving blood and a coarse brush or something along those lines, y'know? As it is, it just looks like a bunch of kids have scribbled over a bedsheet with a red marker pen ;) Blacks and browns would also go nicely with the whole thing.

Oh, and maybe lay out some light guidelines in pencil or something, so you actually get it all aligned symmetrically and evenly, giving it a more "pentagramish" look. (Yeah... I can make up my owns words :P)

EDIT: Oh, and have fun at your necromancer party. Go raise some uh... walking dead or something :P

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited October 2006
    Yup, it definitely needs to be messier, but I'm going to focus on getting the basis of each of the banners before I start adding more details. Also, I did lay out the lines in pencil before going over them in ink, but like you say, I don't want the banners to be neat or exact. Anyway, I'll just have to hope I can get the others right.

PS, I don't actually have any ritualistic beliefs or anything, I'm not even religious. These are just for decoration. :roll:

Scops on
    edited October 2006
    Lol yeah I was just pullin' yer leg.

I understand you don't want them to be "neat" or "exact" as such, but there's a difference between "intentional messiness" and "12-year-old kid messiness" :P

Who here was it that had that Necromancer book thing going? Was it Buckwolfe? I can't remember who it was... but it was good stuff.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited October 2006
    The book on necromancing?

And yeah, I'm not great at drawing, I'll just have to keep practicing. :) If only I didn't procrastinate so much...

Scops on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    First thing that popped into my head \/
    What's that, little buddy? The local 6th graders are starting a death metal band?

Seriously though, in present form it looks like something that would be on the wall of some satanist den in an Ed Wood movie. It borders on being cute.

At the very least you should reverse those colors; if the whole OOH CREEPY IDEA is that it's OMGZ BLOOD on there, it's not very scary if it's not even enough blood to fill a bic pen. It's like the fictional satanists' "evil rituals" involve giving an unsuspecting victim a series of wicked paper cuts and then harvesting their plasma with eyedroppers.

Use masking tape or masking fluid or something to mask out the shit you want to leave white, then go apeshit with the crimson, so it's like SHIT DAWG SOMEBODY LIQUIFIED A WHOLE FUCKING COW ON THIS BITCH. THAT'S SOME HARDCORE EVIL SHIT RIGHT THERE, HOMESLICE.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited October 2006
    ... Use masking tape or masking fluid or something to mask out the shit you want to leave white, then go apeshit with the crimson, so it's like SHIT DAWG SOMEBODY LIQUIFIED A WHOLE FUCKING COW ON THIS BITCH. THAT'S SOME HARDCORE EVIL SHIT RIGHT THERE, HOMESLICE.

Agreed, but I still have to get the basis first. Plus I can't do much with a tiny bottle of ink.

Anyway, I had an attempt at the spine, and it didn't turn out too well...

halloweenbanner2tf1.jpg

Drawing on a strip of crumpled fabric with a broken fountain pen is hard. With a lot of work, maybe I can fix it up, but not right now.

Scops on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Not to get all crazy here or anything, but have you tried maybe, I don't know, crumpling the fabric AFTER drawing on it?

tynic on
    edited October 2006
    Yup. I'm leaving the fabric crumpled because it actually makes some interesting splodge effects (not so visible in the photos) when using ink on a rough surface, plus the lines tend to follow the gradients more, thus adding to the messy effect. It kind of works, not as well as I planned though. While it's not impossible to draw on, it doesn't make it any easier, but I guess that's kind of the point.

EDIT: Ack, too many problems, not enough me fixing them. I'll keep working on them until I've made a decent amount of progress. G'night.

Scops on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The details on this are reallly small. How are ppl gonna notice it from far away or when drunk?

Draw bigger!!!

MagicToaster on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Who here was it that had that Necromancer book thing going? Was it Buckwolfe? I can't remember who it was... but it was good stuff.
    Scops wrote:

Awwww, you guys. I didn't think anybody actually remembered that.Embarassed.gif

Buckwolfe on
    edited October 2006
    The details on this are reallly small. How are ppl gonna notice it from far away or when drunk?

Draw bigger!!!
    Yeah, listen to MT, he's in advertising... he knows what looks good at a distance when sober or drunk.
    Buckwolfe wrote:
    Scops wrote:

Awwww, you guys. I didn't think anybody actually remembered that.Embarassed.gif
    That had some pretty awesome monster stuff in it, how can we forget? Are you still working on that btw?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Sir PeechizworthSir Peechizworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    so it's like SHIT DAWG SOMEBODY LIQUIFIED A WHOLE FUCKING COW ON THIS BITCH. THAT'S SOME HARDCORE EVIL SHIT RIGHT THERE, HOMESLICE.

bahahahahaha.

Sir Peechizworth on
    If it don't Blam, we don't want it.
    edited October 2006

Draw bigger!!!
    Yeah, listen to MT, he's in advertising... he knows what looks good at a distance when sober or drunk.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind for the other banners, although I may as well finish the skull one off now that I've started it. I think I'll go with a more tribal design to finish it off...

Scops on