As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[tech] It's Tech Spring Cleaning Week now. Clean your....tech....stuff.

T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATEDNAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
edited April 2016 in Social Entropy++
TECH THREAD
Summer 2015
The Summer of Smart Appliances
Sponsored by Mountain Dew

Welcome to the SE++ Nerd Thread, where we talk about the absolute nerdiest stuff you can possibly imagine

Sometimes we talk about smartphones

smartphones_rect.jpg

Computers

c64.gif

...watches.....

android-wear-watch-180914.jpg

................dryers..........

LG-UNVEILS-TOTAL-HOME-APPLIANCE-SOLUTION-EMPOWERING-CONSUMERS-TO-SMARTLY-MANAGE-THEIR-HOMES2.jpg

Apparently if it has an on switch, it's fair game to be discussed here.

Additionally, sometimes we talk about apps

Sometimes @Abracadaniel yells about 1Password, which you shouldn't download, waste of money. Instead, follow these helpful password tips

1) Don't use 2 factor authentication. It's dumb and a waste of your time. You're not getting any younger. You don't have seconds to spare fishing for 2-factor.
2) Try to use all the same password. Two if you must. No more than 3, cycle between them, and if work FORCES you to change your password, just add another sequential number to the end of it.
3) Some unhackable passwords include "mikeisacoolguy", "mikehasasubstantialamountofequity", "mikeischaritable", "mikeisacoolguy2", or even "m1k3isac00lguy"

Hopefully with these helpful password tips you will be able to keep your data safe!

I have big plans for this OP, people. Big plans. This time it'll happen. You'll see.

T4CT on

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    1p is on sale

PS I got a Watch it's p neat so far got Authy on it

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My pebble got shipped, hopefully it'll be here tomorrow!

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Also some interesting new research has been published that displays some pretty shocking vulnerabilities in OSX and iOS, up to and including the researches being able to slip malware into the Mac App Store, which in one situation would emulate 1Password functions and intercept and expose passwords being sent between the browser extension and the app itself.

Pretty scary stuff, but it also requires you to install malware and presumably Apple is going to fix those holes in its review process that would let such a thing in in the first place.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/06/serious-os-x-and-ios-flaws-let-hackers-steal-keychain-1password-contents/

https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/06/17/1password-inter-process-communication-discussion/

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Lady SH strongarmed me into getting the watch by offering to pay for half of it less AppleCare since I had her on my health insurance for many moons til she found her new job

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Samsung Galaxys (the entire range apparently) also has a security issue.

https://www.nowsecure.com/blog/2015/06/16/remote-code-execution-as-system-user-on-samsung-phones/

Oh, yay...

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Samsung Galaxys (the entire range apparently) also has a security issue.

https://www.nowsecure.com/blog/2015/06/16/remote-code-execution-as-system-user-on-samsung-phones/

Oh, yay...

SPEAKING OF THESE I FINALLY GET MY FREE ONE TODAY

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    entg3xt.jpg

4IoPrrD.png

J2jYda2.png
    Pfft, computer cases. That's old hat. What you need these days is a computer desk, and Lian Li just added two models to its desk chassis lineup: the DK-Q2, and its fancier cousin, the DK-03.

These desks are topped with a tempered glass surface that sits on an all-aluminum frame. Each desk features a removable motherboard tray with cable management holes for easier system-building. CPU coolers are limited to a rather short 3.5" (90 mm) tall, but these desks can handle graphics cards up to 17.3" (440 mm) long. Two rows of four 120-mm fans on each end of the desk provide cooling airflow.

The DK-Q2 will host an ATX motherboard, up to seven 3.5" and eight 2.5" hard drives or SSDs, and a single radiator up to 480 mm long. The DK-03 packs a double-whammy: it can hold two motherboards. The main board can be as large as an SP-ATX unit, while the second is limited to mini-ITX. This monster can hold up to twenty drives—ten 2.5" drives and another 10 3.5" units—and two 480-mm radiators.

Lian-Li offers an optional RGB LED lighting kit with LED strips, a dimmer, and a knob-based controller. Given the sheer size of these cases, and the aluminum-and-glass construction, these desks don't come cheap. Lian-Li prices the DK-Q2 at $990, while the DK-03 goes for $1490. Both desks will be available by the end of June at Micro Center.

http://techreport.com/news/28495/lian-li-computer-desks-put-regular-cases-to-shame

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/dk-03/

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I was so ready to finally order some 970s

and then they start talking about the new R9s, at seemingly very affordable prices

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    You may as well wait for reviews, which I think are hitting next week.

Though I'd guess that the cards at the same price levels perform pretty similarly.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    entg3xt.jpg

4IoPrrD.png

J2jYda2.png
    Pfft, computer cases. That's old hat. What you need these days is a computer desk, and Lian Li just added two models to its desk chassis lineup: the DK-Q2, and its fancier cousin, the DK-03.

These desks are topped with a tempered glass surface that sits on an all-aluminum frame. Each desk features a removable motherboard tray with cable management holes for easier system-building. CPU coolers are limited to a rather short 3.5" (90 mm) tall, but these desks can handle graphics cards up to 17.3" (440 mm) long. Two rows of four 120-mm fans on each end of the desk provide cooling airflow.

The DK-Q2 will host an ATX motherboard, up to seven 3.5" and eight 2.5" hard drives or SSDs, and a single radiator up to 480 mm long. The DK-03 packs a double-whammy: it can hold two motherboards. The main board can be as large as an SP-ATX unit, while the second is limited to mini-ITX. This monster can hold up to twenty drives—ten 2.5" drives and another 10 3.5" units—and two 480-mm radiators.

Lian-Li offers an optional RGB LED lighting kit with LED strips, a dimmer, and a knob-based controller. Given the sheer size of these cases, and the aluminum-and-glass construction, these desks don't come cheap. Lian-Li prices the DK-Q2 at $990, while the DK-03 goes for $1490. Both desks will be available by the end of June at Micro Center.

http://techreport.com/news/28495/lian-li-computer-desks-put-regular-cases-to-shame

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/dk-03/

this is sweet

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    My Pebble got delivered today and it's just sitting there and I'm at work for another hour and 20 minutes and it is excruciating.

E: never mind. It was attempted. :(

minirhyder on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Is it all right if I pester you folks with a question about internet tubes?

I currently have ridiculously fast cable internet right now: 50+ Mbps down and 4-to-5 up. I am also, as you can imagine, paying a hefty chunk of change for this: about $60 a month. However, I did find another company in my area offering broadband of "18–25Mbps download speed" and "Up to 5Mbps upload speed" for $35 a month.

I usually use my internet to watch HD Netflix and play the occasional online game, like Smite or TF2. I do play other online games but they are slower and/or turn based, so ping isn't such a big concern there. I don't do a ton of downloading, save for the occasional game via Steam or a large file for school. Would the cheaper option detailed above work well for me? Or should I stick to what I have?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    You might struggle for 4k netflix but that is more than fast enough for HD and team fortress.

I average around 12mbps down and the only time it becomes difficult is for ridiculously large steam installs.

Are you the only one in the house that streams video?

Blake T on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    You might struggle for 4k netflix but that is more than fast enough for HD and team fortress.

I average around 12mbps down and the only time it becomes difficult is for ridiculously large steam installs.

Are you the only one in the house that streams video?

The tl;dr is one device would be streaming at a time, at best. 1-2 other devices may be connected but they wouldn't be doing more than, say, browsing or the occasional online game.

• Options
    Day 1 w Watch

Sitting at 34% right now, and phone is at 70% or so. Less time spent dinkin around on my phone. Granted, I was on site at a client all day but I like it so far. Less time turning on/turning off/being distracted by notifications on my phone, when I can quickly view/triage/dismiss stuff from the watch.

Plus one of my coffee apps has a great watch app.

• Options
    WELCOME TO THE WATCH WORLD DAN

• Options
    also lol got my Galaxy S6 prize device

they sent me one locked to the wrong carrier (one that I do not work for)

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    If you send it back you'll probably get your replacement in 6-8 weeks.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    If you send it back you'll probably get your replacement in 6-8 weeks.

I paid the fifteen bucks to unlock it

my friend is the rep and she said the unlock code would be free but might take til monday to make it to me and I was like NOPE

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Is there a website where I can have it scan my computer or I can plug in info about the parts of my computer and it would tell me what I should upgrade next to have the biggest impact?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    www.logicalincrements.com

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    www.logicalincrements.com

That's great for when I actually need to find the new thing I need to get but not for which parts in my computer are in most need of replacing.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Dunno if there's a website for it, but if you tell us the computer's specs we could probably point you in the right direction

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Dunno if there's a website for it, but if you tell us the computer's specs we could probably point you in the right direction

At this point I'm pretty sure it is either the graphics card or processor/motherboard. I have an pretty new SSD and a lot of ram.

Processor: AMD Phenom II Quad
    Graphics: GTX 560 Ti
    Power Supply: Corsair 750w.
    Hard drives: 250 Gig SSD for windows, 3 Tb of other storage.
    Ram: 16 Gigs.

If I change out the processor and motherboard I'd want to get a new case. This case is over a decade old.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

At this point I'm pretty sure it is either the graphics card or processor/motherboard. I have an pretty new SSD and a lot of ram.

If I change out the processor and motherboard I'd want to get a new case. This case is over a decade old.

Can you give me a model number for your Phenom II Quad? That would help out, there's a lot of spread among the Phentom II Quad range in terms of performance.

Also, do you have a budget?

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Hrm. If you're playing recent games, I'd probably get a video card upgrade first. Something like a GTX 960 for ~$200 would be a significant improvement, I think.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    jgeis wrote: »

Can you give me a model number for your Phenom II Quad? That would help out, there's a lot of spread among the Phentom II Quad range in terms of performance.

Pretty sure it is this one,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

• Options

Ok, I think that upgrading your GPU would net you the biggest performance gains. That Phenom is still relatively solid, all things considered. Like @a5ehren said, a GTX 960 would be a big improvement over the 560Ti. If you have the budget, going up to a 970 would be an even better choice, it would give you room to grow when you decided to go ahead with upgrading your CPU/Mobo. That's like a $150 jump in price though, so it may well be more than you want to spend.

If you want to go the AMD route for a GPU, go no lower than an R9 285.

• Options
    just make sure if you get 960 that it will fit your case.

• Options
    edited June 2015

Oh man is that a big concern?

I can't seem to find the dimensions of a 960, but the 970 is only about an inch longer than my 560 so it should fit.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options

Ok, I think that upgrading your GPU would net you the biggest performance gains. That Phenom is still relatively solid, all things considered. Like @a5ehren said, a GTX 960 would be a big improvement over the 560Ti. If you have the budget, going up to a 970 would be an even better choice, it would give you room to grow when you decided to go ahead with upgrading your CPU/Mobo. That's like a $150 jump in price though, so it may well be more than you want to spend.

If you want to go the AMD route for a GPU, go no lower than an R9 285.

Do I need to worry about my power supply with upgrading the GPU?

• Options

I can't seem to find the dimensions of a 960, but the 970 is only about an inch longer than my 560 so it should fit.

not necessarily just for the 960, but in general. it sounded like your case was older so just wanted to make sure you kept the size factor in mind.

• Options

not necessarily just for the 960, but in general. it sounded like your case was older so just wanted to make sure you kept the size factor in mind.

Cool. I might get the 970. It might have legs for longer than the 960. Looks like the new Batman comes with it too so that makes it a bit cheaper in my mind since I was thinking of getting it on console.

• Options
    @timspork's ghost your PSU should be fine. 750w is going to be plenty for a 960/970 even with a relatively power hungry CPU like the 965.

• Options
    Last question.

Should I just go with the specific model of card that Logical Increments recommends?

• Options
    would you say it's

• Options
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    :-1:

This discussion has been closed.