As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Love] thread, for exist's sake.

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    Soooooooooooo guess who's going to be legally married in about a week? :D

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Soooooooooooo guess who's going to be legally married in about a week? :D

Me?

But I don't even have a partner! Dunno what you're on about.

broken image link
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait, me and Fuzzbutt are getting married?

• Options
    PassionateLoviePassionateLovie Registered User regular
    So I started talking to someone on okcupid a few days ago and I really like him, but I'm not sure how soon is too soon to meet up, we've been texting a lot I don't usually give out my number but we clicked so I thought I'd give him a shot....should I just keep talking to him and see how things go?

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Imo unless you feel unsafe and are waiting to make sure person is not loco it's best to meet sooner than later

poo
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Wait, me and Fuzzbutt are getting married?

holy crap the republicans were right

first two men can marry...now a man is marrying a polar bear!!!!

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    ok thanks, maybe I'll wait a week or two. I don't feel unsafe and he doesn't seem crazy...but it's only been a few days >.< he lives pretty close but I'm nervous :X he's the first guy I've talked to since my last relationship ended and I didn't date much before my ex so this is new to me...

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I like
    Couldn't sustain text convo for so long / losing interest / running out of stuff to say without meeting someone first
    That's hard for me

But you gotta do what feels right for you of course

poo
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't run out of things to say or interest just my lack of convenient times to meet is my downfall

• Options
    yea that would be hard. >.< my friend is getting a new tattoo next week and we'll be there for a few hours maybe I should ask him if he'd like to hang out with us. we can distract her xD it'll be less nerve-racking having my best friend with us the first time meeting at least >.< I'm excited to meet him but I'm so nervous he's really cute :X

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I tend to go 1~ week of messages - ask out - give number if they say yes and move to texting - give Skype if there's a second date.

Friend of mine likes to lead with Skype and voice chat for a couple hours before meeting up pretty quickly. I imagine it differs a lot depending on the guy.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    If you're interested in him you should meet him one on one in a simple and easy setting, for the "sanity check" that both of you are who you think they are. I wouldn't recommend involving any friends, that would be pretty awkward if someone wanted to set up a first meet with me like that.

People are meant to meet! Do it if you want to. :) Being nervous is normal and even throwing up during the date isn't a deal breaker, as shown by a recent story here. (Who was that again?)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    If you're interested in him you should meet him one on one in a simple and easy setting, for the "sanity check" that both of you are who you think they are. I wouldn't recommend involving any friends, that would be pretty awkward if someone wanted to set up a first meet with me like that.

People are meant to meet! Do it if you want to. :) Being nervous is normal and even throwing up during the date isn't a deal breaker, as shown by a recent story here. (Who was that again?)

Alright >.< thanks for the advice! I'll ask him soon. I know he wants to so that seems like a good sign.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I met that lady.

It went okay we seemed to get along and we hope to see each other again soon.

• Options
    eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    So I started talking to someone on okcupid a few days ago and I really like him, but I'm not sure how soon is too soon to meet up, we've been texting a lot I don't usually give out my number but we clicked so I thought I'd give him a shot....should I just keep talking to him and see how things go?

I'm in the same situation right now, actually. I asked her to lunch and we're meeting today. I didn't want to wait too long, but I kind of wish I could've waited longer cause I'm more nervous than I'd like to be.

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
  • Options
    eddizhere wrote: »

I'm in the same situation right now, actually. I asked her to lunch and we're meeting today. I didn't want to wait too long, but I kind of wish I could've waited longer cause I'm more nervous than I'd like to be.

Good luck! :D

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    The thing to remember is, you are probably both equally nervous.

And for me personally I find the longer I let myself be nervous the worse it will get. You need to rip that band-aid right off!

• Options
    I feel like I've mostly gotten over my hangups about asking ladies out through meeting people from OKC, which is actually really cool. First message is probably still the thing I fret about the most, followed by second date planning if I actually get that far :P

ladi.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine meeting someone from online. I'd try to drag that out forever.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I like to talk to someone online/via text only long enough to determine that they're interesting and don't present any red flags, and then meet before I have the chance to develop expectations.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I try and meet as soon as possible, generally after a couple days of conversation

Otherwise I'll get scared or bored

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    Moving into my new place July 11th with my s/o, just four days before our anniversary

Very excited and a bit nervous. Living together suggestions are totally welcome

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »

*raises hand* Hi there

• Options
    ohgod that really sucks >.< I hope I don't get that nervous.....I'm kinda ready for a date though 6 months of moping around is too long. Plus I have a good feeling about him and he's got a bunch of tattoos which my mom will hate lol :D he said yes to meeting up btw! :3

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Another etiquette question

When and how, if ever or at all, is it appropriate to compliment someone's looks

Because

This girl I'm messaging with right now is so pretty that my heart melts a little just looking at her pictures

But I don't wanna come off like a creeper, or like I'm only interested in her for her looks (which I'm not! She's cool and funny)

Is there a way to say something that comes off as complimentary and nice instead of creepy and sleazy? Or should I just keep it to myself?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Just don't be a creep (tm)

"You look beautiful"

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

"You look beautiful"

You have the whitest white part of the eye I've ever seen

I've fallen for you like a blind roofer

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Everybody's different! I think if you've been messaging and it's going well, it won't be creepy to say something complimentary

On the other hand, I kind of like it when people don't say anything about my appearance until we've met in person. if they've messaged me I assume they think I am decently attractive anyway.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Fucking shite! I should have been out driving cool guzzaline rc cars on the fury road with my Buddhist, but instead I'm home with the sniffles watching football, all chumplike. That's life and such, but c'mon.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Another etiquette question

When and how, if ever or at all, is it appropriate to compliment someone's looks

Because

This girl I'm messaging with right now is so pretty that my heart melts a little just looking at her pictures

But I don't wanna come off like a creeper, or like I'm only interested in her for her looks (which I'm not! She's cool and funny)

Is there a way to say something that comes off as complimentary and nice instead of creepy and sleazy? Or should I just keep it to myself?

'Nother tip is to compliment her hair, or her style, or even if she's rocking the make-up (this one works best in person). I've found that "You look fantastic in x outfit" or "You're totally rocking that cut" comes across better than just complimenting their looks.

ladi.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Fucking shite! I should have been out driving cool guzzaline rc cars on the fury road with my Buddhist, but instead I'm home with the sniffles watching football, all chumplike. That's life and such, but c'mon.

Who's your Buddhist

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh im so bored of being single hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

Who's your Buddhist

Cool lady I shared a coffee date and a kiss with this last Monday.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Is she a Buddhist?

I imagined you were talking about hanging out with the World of Warcraft rogue of that name who probably no one remembers except me

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

"You look beautiful"

"Your cuticles remind me of diamonds."

"Your earlobes have me tripping like that hit of blotter acid I took an hour ago."

"Those sandals really accentuate your shaved toes."

• Options
    Is she a Buddhist?

I imagined you were talking about hanging out with the World of Warcraft rogue of that name who probably no one remembers except me

She is indeed a Buddhist. I don't get the WoW reference, man.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

"You look beautiful"

images-1.jpg

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    I'd say that as long as you're not leading with the compliment, when you compliment her physical appearance isn't as important as how you compliment her, and what you do after her response to the compliment.

A lot of guys will keep pushing the compliment even when you're trying to signal that they're coming on too strong & you're not comfortable. Knowing when to back off is really, really important.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I just said "I hope this doesn't seem too forward or anything but you're really beautiful!"

And she responded positively to it so yayyyyy

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    So update with my situation
    Coffee went well. We dorked out about history and politics and a little about brain spiders.
    Exchanged numbers and texted a little.
    The next day I fought hella brain spiders. My defenses were weakened from continuing fear of rejection coupled with trying to keep myself from setting any expectations in an unfamiliar situation.
    Then the next day she texted me which started off a thread of 150+ texts and that made me feel what some friends tell me is called "happiness"
    And I'm taking her to dinner to sample the cuisine of my motherland next week
    So
    Uh
    Good

I've been making her laugh which I'm told is a good thing

Tam on
This discussion has been closed.