As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] [AGoT: TBG] A Game of Thrones: The Board Game #2 - Game Over - Greyjoy is King!

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    pic1152905.jpg

Defend with the Viper. Strength 3 + 4 = 7

@preda to reveal
    Retreat to Yronwood if I lose

@jdarksun to move

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    pic1152902.jpg

Not that it matters, but let's get bounced from Storm's End...

March all forces in Dragonstone to Storm's End.

Units:4 (1KN, 2FM)
    Order: +1
    Support: 0
    Card: Ser Davos +2
    Total 7 Win due to fiefdom.

@jdarksun to march next

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    pic1152903.jpg

March: Searoad Marches
    KN, FM, FM to Pyke
    KN to Highgarden

Units: 2 (1 KN)
    Order: +1
    Card: ????
    Total: 3 + ???

I'd @MrBody to Defend, but since he only has Alester Florent... Defense is 1 (1 FM) + Defense +1 + 2 Neutral Units + 1 (Alester Florent) = 5.

Reveal Euron Crow's Eye, 3 + 4 = 7 > 5. @MrBody to retreat the FM, @Phyphor to March.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    pic1152907.jpg

Retreat FM from Highgarden to Oldtown

• Options
    edited June 2015
    pic1152905.jpg

March 2 SE from Sunspear to Starfall. Hotah is only leader left

Attack is 8 - 1 + 3 = 11, I auto-win

@mrbody to retreat, then march

Phyphor on
  • Options
    pic1152907.jpg

No more Maergery for you! You get Randyl instead!

Retreat to Oldtown

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Looks like between patchface and Greyjoy lies, jdark is going to get the game.

• Options
    I guess I should wait and see how MrBody's turn plays out before assuming that. Thought he was out of march orders.

• Options
    Recalling unneeded forces to Pyke is a time-honored Greyjoy tradition. Just ask Theon.

• Options
    pic1152907.jpg

March 2 KN from Dornish Marches to retake Highgarden.

Units: 4 (2 KN)
    Order: 0
    Card: ????
    Total: 4 + ???

• Options
    pic1152903.jpg

Aw. I'd have hit 7 if you had gone after Baratheon.

Balon to defend. 2 + 2 = 4 == 4, Greyjoy wind ties, @MrBody to retreat and ... @Preda to march?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    pic1152907.jpg

Oh right, Balon. :(

Loras used up

Retreat back to Dornish Marches

MrBody on
  • Options
    Nope. @jpants has another march in the mountains of the moon.

• Options
    Doesn't matter what I do, i've lost. For some reason I thought I had Cat still.

pic1152906.jpg

Resolve Mountains of the Moon March
    FM, KN > Crackclaw Point

@Preda to take it back before Greyjoy steals Seaguard for the win

• Options
    pic1152902.jpg

March all forces in King's Wood to Crackclaw Poit.

Units:6 (1KN, 1SE)
    Order: +0
    Card: Stannis +5
    Total 11 you can't match.

@JPants to defend but something tells me Roose...

• Options
    Yup, Roose, I loose, retreat to Moat Calin.

Get my cards back

@jdarksun

• Options
    edited June 2015
    JPants wrote: »

pic1152906.jpg

FM, KN > Crackclaw Point

Preda to take it back before Greyjoy steals Seaguard for the win

Actually that won't happen. jdark has SE, KN, FM, FM to attack for 8 and his two leaders are 1s, so the attack is a 9. You're defending with 6 to start with so you keep it. You'll both be at 5 castles, so it comes down to a tiebreaker

Phyphor on
  • Options
    pic1152903.jpg

@stever777 Can I get a confirmation of cards in my hand? I'm pretty sure it's just Asha and Dagmar, in which case I can't take Seaguard. I needed Balon or Euron, one of which was needed to take Highgarden and the other would be needed if Tyrell counterattacked.

If I had put the March +1 in Searoad March, I'd have been able to save one for Seaguard, but alas, I did not.

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

pic1152906.jpg

FM, KN > Crackclaw Point

Preda to take it back before Greyjoy steals Seaguard for the win

Actually that won't happen. jdark has SE, KN, FM, FM to attack for 8 and his two leaders are 1s, so the attack is a 9. You're defending with 6 to start with so you keep it. You'll both be at 5 castles, so it comes down to a tiebreaker

True, I wasn't expecting to get to Roose. Either way he wins though as he beats my tiebreaker.

But, I knew that was possible going into the deal so I have no one to blame really. I thought Preda was going to concentrate on the Stark/Greyjoy/Baratheon border, not the other.

• Options
    Ah true, strongholds are the tiebreaker. So jdark does nothing, I retake Storm's End with the last march (5+4 vs 4+1) and that's the game

• Options
    Ah true, strongholds are the tiebreaker. So jdark does nothing, I retake Storm's End with the last march (5+4 vs 4+1) and that's the game

That's how I see it playing out.

• Options
    pic1152905.jpg

March all from Boneway to Storm's End
    Units: 5
    Leader: 4
    Total = 9

Defense is 4+1 = 5

Claim 3rd place with my 4 castles!

• Options
    End of line game right?

• Options
    Yup, there are no more marches to resolve. Just have to wait for stever to make it all official

• Options
    Then congrats Greyjoy! Glad you didn't have to backstab me to do it.

• Options
    It was a very interesting game. I got bottled up in my start position, the game was pretty polarized as to who fought who. I think the only time Tyrell was attacked by anyone else was just now. I should have been doing CP* more for recruitment on the early turns

• Options
    Then congrats Greyjoy! Glad you didn't have to backstab me to do it.
    Thanks! I had a lot of fun.
    It was a very interesting game. I got bottled up in my start position, the game was pretty polarized as to who fought who. I think the only time Tyrell was attacked by anyone else was just now. I should have been doing CP* more for recruitment on the early turns
    CP* are crazy important.

• Options
    This is my first game of this i've played to completion. Once Baratheon gets 3 ships in Blackwater Bay it seems pretty damn impossible for Stark to make any headway that direction. Especially when the no support card takes THE ENTIRE GAME to show up. Been waiting for that one since turn 4 or so it seems.

I honestly wasn't picking on you jdark, i just never saw an opening at Baratheon and didn't have anywhere else to go.

Also, I've never played a game that had more moments of completing a move and INSTANTLY seeing where you had fucked up and should have made a different move. Both with assigning orders and executing them.

I think the Tides of Battle cards would defninitely liven up the play. With less certainty of outcome it's easier to take risks.

I had an absolute blast playing though. Pulling off the King Beyond the Wall after a Clash of Kings was the highlight for me I think.

• Options
    Dude, I wiped The Brayster off the map. You either win or you die, don't feel bad about "picking" on me. I gripe a lot as part of the game, feel free to ignore that. :)

The Tides of Battle cards make the game... random to the point of being unfun, in my opinion. It takes an otherwise entirely strategic game and throws strategy to the wind - the cards swing between 0 and 4, and there's a skull that kills a unit. You can't plan for that; and if you try, you wind up with a stagnated game. And if you don't try to plan around it, you might as well be comparing dice rolls.

The scenario cards, however, are quite good.

• Options
    What are the scenario cards?

0-4 does seem like a pretty big range. It would make the Fiefdom's track way too important probably (with the ability to redraw a Tides card).

• Options
    Good game with a nutty last turn!

I should have spent the early game hanging back and building up.

Though the more I play, the more I think that it's mostly just a 3 way contest between Stark, Greyjoy, and Baratheon. Their positioning and cards are just so much better than the other houses. They each have a couple "natural" expansions that are easy to get to, then it's just a matter of making a play for 3 contested middle castles. For Tyrell and Martel, they have to utterly crush and conquer an immediate neighbor AND make a play to grab a couple contested middle castles. Lannister is just utterly screwed with the worst position AND cards AND being immediate neighbors with the strongest rush house in the game AND said rush neighbor has no other direction to go in.

One thing is that ships are always in static standoffs. Each house has a secluded sea space that makes it way too easy to turtle with a support order (Ironman, Blackwater, Redwyne, Dorne). Makes it almost impossible to totally crush any not-Lannister neighbor. The only exception is Greyjoy taking the Sea of Ice for an attack on Winterfel; no turtle sea space for that front. Martel and Tyrell have to crush each other, but can't because of the ship turtling. Even a turn with no support orders isn't going to break the stalemate because you're holding the majority of your fleet back in the turtle space and next turn you'll just push the other fleet back.

I still don't know what they were thinking moving Balon from the 0 to the 2 strength card. He would actually be less ridiculous if they bumped him up to the 4 strength card since he's going to win anyway but then Greyjoy wouldn't have a separate 4 card on top of that. Or they could have just made Euron a 3 and simply not give Greyjoy a 4 card. Balon is THAT strong.

Lannister's cards, just bleh. All of their cards only have an effect if you win the battle, but don't actually help you win in the first place (except one measly 1 card). Tyrion is just a much weaker version of Aeron Damphair. Cersei is a much weaker version of the Queen of Thorns (Cersei's effect is moderately stronger, but a hundred times less likely to ever go off).

I'd like to study a game where Lannister actually wins. I suspect that could only ever happen if Greyjoy decides to try something new and completely ignore them to go after Stark.

• Options
    Of the three most recent in-person games I've played, Lannister won one and Tyrell won one. Greyjoy has a really weak start and no * orders. With early pressure and strategic Raids, they tend to fall apart. That's why you have to be super aggressive.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »

I'd like to study a game where Lannister actually wins. I suspect that could only ever happen if Greyjoy decides to try something new and completely ignore them to go after Stark.

I've seen a number of Lannister wins when they were able to convince people to gang up on Greyjoy early on due to peoples meta-knowledge of greyjoy's scariness.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Dis' wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »

I've seen a number of Lannister wins when they were able to convince people to gang up on Greyjoy early on due to peoples meta-knowledge of greyjoy's scariness.

I don't see how Stark, and especially Tyrell are supposed to make many gains that way. They stop Greyjoy at the cost of their own success. Even then, it would make Lannister the only house completely at the mercy of first turn diplomacy.

And how does Martel not pounce on the opportunity to move against Tyrell when they're off fighting the Greyjoy navy?

MrBody on
  • Options
    Stark is doomed to clash with Greyjoy for the entire game unless they make headway early against them. They gotta get a boat in the Bay of Ice ASAP.

• Options
    I mean theoretically yeah everyone can join together to help Lannister beat Greyjoy. I just don't see how it looks more attractive than each house pursuing its own thing, or how Martel and Baratheon don't immediately pounce and take advantage of their neighbors being elsewhere.

Are there links to any online games of this?

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    pic1152928.jpg

s1tz2ac0h2tl.jpg

All Hail King Greyjoy!
    Congrats, jdark!
    GG, all!

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Special thanks to @Phyphor for picking up the fallen Martell banner!

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1