As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I work with history's greatest monster in the [job] thread.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    exist wrote: »
    She got a citation? F cops

Well, she did cause exactly the thing to happen that traffic laws are there to prevent. But still, I think the stern talking to was probably enough, if only because a fine discourages people to call these things in, and probably really screws poor people.

Edit: I don't think this lady in her nearly brand new Volvo is going to be too hard up though.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    I can't be the only person who read "F cups" at first...

steam_sig.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    She got a citation? F cops

She hit another car why shouldn't she get a citation
    also
    JebusUD wrote: »
    It was 100% her fault, but I don't know if that matters. That's the thing that I'm a little worried about is it somehow affecting my insurance rates.
    If you are absolutely completely not at fault then your insurance company should have no excuse to try and raise your rates but it may be worth asking when you file the claim and even then keeping an eye on your rates after

2x39jD4.jpg
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Some states have mandatory citations if you're at fault in an accident.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • bezerk bobbezerk bob Registered User regular
    Put in for a field tech job, fixing laptops. Decent money and a shorter commute. Plus way less boring than what I am currently doing. Wish me luck fine folk of the tubes.

You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Some states have mandatory citations if you're at fault in an accident.

Yea, while it's cool of Jebus to not want that citation issued it will probably make the whole insurance thing much easier since it's clear she was at fault.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    ALWAYS call the police when you get in a car accident except DON'T because they will CHARGE your dumb ass

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    My group at work consists of 8 people. We have 4 managers.

Working nights has been rough, but I am glad I don't have to be here during the day.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    ALWAYS call the police when you get in a car accident except DON'T because they will CHARGE your dumb ass

If you're at fault for an accident then yeah you're going to lose money because 1) you broke the law and 2) you caused property damage. Also, if you don't call the police that can easily come back to bite you in the ass later, possibly from your insurance.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I just opened an investment fund.

i-should-buy-a-boat-cat.jpg?w=820

• balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    Went to an interview today and got hired on the spot. 200 percent pay increase from my previous job. Also the office is a ten minute walk away from where I live. This being Los Angeles, that's a goddamn miracle.

The euphoria... So much better than any drug I've had.

So, I spent 2009 to January 2015 unemployed(got laid off from my IT job because of budget cuts, could never find work in that field again because of years of nobody hiring, and then, once hiring went back up, "break in employment", living off of my VA disability. Nuka and I became a couple in 2013, then she moved in with me in early 2014 and she got a local job at a grocery store. I did some work at a warehouse summer of 2014 but injured my arms. Ended up getting hired on at a different store for the same grocery chain, union protected job, Seattle enacts a minimum wage hike-

We've since moved into a larger apartment with both of us on the lease, I'm the top person in my area at work, got a real bank account after years of having to use prepaid cards because my credit was so bad, got a credit card for the sole purpose of further increasing my rating, and then now tonight, after many nights of research and talking it over with Nuka opened an investment/trading fund. It feels really weird, after all of those years of being dirt-ass poor, trying to be financially responsible and investing for the future.

Also Nuka and I are engaged and oh man I am so lucky she is the bestest ever

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Congratulations weaver!

Thanks!

I've got work early and she's gotta get up early for maths finals so bedtime for us.

• builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    Yay, I just lost my $239 monthly T pass on the train. What a great start to the day.

steam_sig.png
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Just had to confiscate any and all wireless routers/access points because leaving them unplugged with a sign on them saying "Leave Unplugged" due to a recurring IP conflict apparently isn't enough for people. You plug one in, and the entire network shits itself and dies. I've made that clear numerous times, but someone has a pathological need for Wi-Fi here.

Fuck it, they're locked up and in my office. This is why we can't have nice things. If you don't have an ethernet connection in your office, you don't have internet. Suck it up.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    cr0w wrote: »
    Just had to confiscate any and all wireless routers/access points because leaving them unplugged with a sign on them saying "Leave Unplugged" due to a recurring IP conflict apparently isn't enough for people. You plug one in, and the entire network shits itself and dies. I've made that clear numerous times, but someone has a pathological need for Wi-Fi here.

Fuck it, they're locked up and in my office. This is why we can't have nice things. If you don't have an ethernet connection in your office, you don't have internet. Suck it up.

...you still have wifi, right? I mean, what good is working in IT if you don't have access to stuff others don't.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Is anyone here a Microsoft Certified Trainer? I have a couple questions about the program: What are the prerequisite certifications, and how is the prerequisite year of training accomplished prior to getting certified? Can you just be an uncertified trainer while you work towards the requirement?
    If you know, feel free to PM me.

edited June 2015
    MCT program entry requirements
    • Possess a current Microsoft Certification or qualification eligible for the MCT program.
    • Demonstrate instructional Skills verified by one of the following:
      • Instructional Skills certification:
        • CompTIA CTT+
        • IAMCT Approved Technical Trainer (IAMCT ATT)
        • Microsoft Certified Trainer Instructional Skills Certification (MCT-ISC)
        • IPM (Institut für Personalberatung und Managemententwicklung)
        • New Horizons Instructional Skills Certification
        • Netcom Learning Instructional Skills Certification
        • Global Knowledge Instructional Skills Certification
        • Learning and Performance Institute Trainer Performance Monitoring and Assessment (TPMA)
        • CEGOS Group
        • PrepMasters USA
    • Provide reference supporting at least one year of instructional experience
    Note To renew as an MCT, you must meet the MCT program renewal requirements by your anniversary date.

Tox on
    It appears to be less a certification and more of a VIP-style buy-in group. Like, you apply, and if you're accepted, you pay a membership fee and boom you can add "MCT" to your signature block.

edited June 2015
    Right, I read that too. But I was curious if there are any Microsoft certifications that are considered ineligible for the program's requirements, and how you accomplish a year of instructional experience prior to certification if you're just a plain ol' IT guy.
    Edit: I suppose it is worth mentioning I'm a Plain Ol' Systems Engineer whose company is developing a Microsoft Training Program, and the guy running it made it sound like I could be considered (and the company would provide the "official" training), but I'm not sure how a year of instructional experience is accomplished unless you're already an instructor.

godmode on
  • NijaNija Registered User regular

This reminds me of something that happened last year.

I work in a large law firm in Los Angeles. (Most of) Our IT is incompetent. Anyone can connect any device to our network (and get internet access) without authentication. The implementation to prevent most individuals from doing anything bad is to only have a single ethernet port in each office. We daisy-chain that for VoIP and network access.

We had a new associate decide he need more internet connected devices. So he went to Best Buy and purchased a router. He attached this home router to our network, and connected all his devices (2 laptops and something else) and started working. His router started a broadcast storm in our headquarters. For non-techies, his router was doing the equivalent of jamming a t-shirt down a toilet, across our entire network. All work ground to a halt. Our IT was incapable of identifying where the problem was, so the entire headquarters could not use our computers or phones. This happened at 9:00 a.m. I left after 4:00 p.m. that day and they had not found the offending item yet. Probably because their solution was to go office by office and unplug the ethernet cable. If I remember correctly, they found the router around 7:00 p.m. and left a handwritten note not to plug it in again.

No one fired. No changes to the network.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    oh boy

surprise trip to europe to be the face of the project to the customer, and I get to miss the 4th of july weekend? sign me up fuck

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Very sad. After having this particular pocketknife for over a decade, I finally walked through a TSA checkpoint in the airport without putting it into my check-in luggage, and I now no longer have this knife.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Been on vacation the last few days, got back to a nice paycheck, maybe the second biggest I've had my whole life.

Also came back to finding out my new boss is an idiot who I hope doesn't last long. Was 2 hours late opening one day, called off the next, screamed at the other employee and made her break into tears yesterday, lies to customers, keeps trying to get off every god damn weekend. Super fun.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Does anyone have experience with Bit9 Carbon Black, any comments about it?

A big downside to working in government IT is that I only hear about technologies and companies approximately 5 years after they are relevant.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I play Clash of Clans with several of the people on my team. We go to war with other clans a couple times a week. Today I get a chat message from one of them consisting of "hey man we need someone to *** their number 10 guy" and it took me longer than it should have to realize he was not telling me to go ass somebody.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Probably good news! The place I interviewed at on Monday just called me back today to let me know they're going to be doing a background check and stuff. They wouldn't bother with that unless they wanted me for the position yeah?

Tox wrote: »

...you still have wifi, right? I mean, what good is working in IT if you don't have access to stuff others don't.

I have everything. And I laugh maniacally about it.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    God working in retail I wish that we could listen to NPR. Instead it's just the same pop hits or 80s classics on satellite radio over and over and over. Sometimes they play pitbull radio, which is literally just pitbull songs. Not even the old ones, I don't think I've ever heard anything off the boat lift but I have heard that one with t-pain at least four times on the same day. I'm starting to enjoy it. Kill me.

E: oh, that was the first page of the thread, huh

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    Nija wrote: »

I work in a large law firm in Los Angeles. (Most of) Our IT is incompetent. Anyone can connect any device to our network (and get internet access) without authentication. The implementation to prevent most individuals from doing anything bad is to only have a single ethernet port in each office. We daisy-chain that for VoIP and network access.

We had a new associate decide he need more internet connected devices. So he went to Best Buy and purchased a router. He attached this home router to our network, and connected all his devices (2 laptops and something else) and started working. His router started a broadcast storm in our headquarters. For non-techies, his router was doing the equivalent of jamming a t-shirt down a toilet, across our entire network. All work ground to a halt. Our IT was incapable of identifying where the problem was, so the entire headquarters could not use our computers or phones. This happened at 9:00 a.m. I left after 4:00 p.m. that day and they had not found the offending item yet. Probably because their solution was to go office by office and unplug the ethernet cable. If I remember correctly, they found the router around 7:00 p.m. and left a handwritten note not to plug it in again.

This literally happened to me two weeks ago. Someone plugged into a switch with a device that already had an IP assigned to it and blew the entire network. We spent two days trying to track it down, and finally we unplugged one simple cable and everything went back to normal. Now we have recurring IP conflicts that I'm gradually filtering out, mainly by assigning static IPs over 200 in the Wi-Fi routers, but until I can get all that done no one will have Wi-Fi. They've proven they can't handle it.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Met a new supervisor last night. Cis guy who asked me my pronouns and told me in very certain terms that if a customer gives me problems because I'm trans he will throw them out.

So far, the most problematic co-worker I have is a sup I don't work with who just tries too hard to validate my femininity for me. She does things like pointing out makeup sales, and one night when I came in wearing pants she said, "whoa, you're in pants, did you lose a bet?"

I mean at least she's the "I'm trying too hard" kind of problematic and not the other one. She's actually one of my favorite people at work. Ironically, when she's not treating me like a girl.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    So, I spent 2009 to January 2015 unemployed(got laid off from my IT job because of budget cuts, could never find work in that field again because of years of nobody hiring, and then, once hiring went back up, "break in employment", living off of my VA disability. Nuka and I became a couple in 2013, then she moved in with me in early 2014 and she got a local job at a grocery store. I did some work at a warehouse summer of 2014 but injured my arms. Ended up getting hired on at a different store for the same grocery chain, union protected job, Seattle enacts a minimum wage hike-

We've since moved into a larger apartment with both of us on the lease, I'm the top person in my area at work, got a real bank account after years of having to use prepaid cards because my credit was so bad, got a credit card for the sole purpose of further increasing my rating, and then now tonight, after many nights of research and talking it over with Nuka opened an investment/trading fund. It feels really weird, after all of those years of being dirt-ass poor, trying to be financially responsible and investing for the future.

Also Nuka and I are engaged and oh man I am so lucky she is the bestest ever

Oh my god, weaver I am ecstatic for you guys. That's an incredible feeling, you two deserve to enjoy the hell out of it & each other.

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Nija wrote: »

This literally happened to me two weeks ago. Someone plugged into a switch with a device that already had an IP assigned to it and blew the entire network. We spent two days trying to track it down, and finally we unplugged one simple cable and everything went back to normal. Now we have recurring IP conflicts that I'm gradually filtering out, mainly by assigning static IPs over 200 in the Wi-Fi routers, but until I can get all that done no one will have Wi-Fi. They've proven they can't handle it.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to assign static IPs to absolutely everything and then if somebody wanted to connect something new, they would have to go to you for the number and access? I'm sure this isn't possible or has its own issues, but just came to mind while reading these issues and wondering how that works.

I think the default answer to the question of "can't you just give everything a static IP?" is and should always be, "Sure, you go ahead and do that. I'll be over here doing literally everything else and still working less than you."

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    my team is hiring both a UI dev position and a DevOps (think Docker/VMs, deploy process, etc.) position.

if you or anyone you know is into that stuff and lives around the Minneapolis area, let me know!

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    I think it's amazing that I can say I genuinely love Help Desk work and still only manage to be offered a temp/contract position. People must think there's something wrong with someone who actually enjoys this type of work.

My work history is food service management. This is so overwhelmingly easier it's not even funny. Plus I get a diversity of work on a day to day, so I don't really get bored.

Plus when I do my job right (and nobody else in IT does anything dumb), I get so much free time.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Bluhhh, I am not looking forward to giving my notice tomorrow

I mean, I gotta do it

But doing that always suuuucks

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I'm not sure where else to post this so I guess here, since it happened when I left work.

Got rear ended on the way home whoo hoo!

It wasn't all so bad. Police came our and wrote a report. I already called the insurance company. I think the lady that hit me thought I'd be coming out raging mad or something, since she seemed real apologetic. It was totally her fault, but I just can't muster up any anger, nor would I want to. Life is too short to be an angry person. I just told her shit happens.

I actually felt more bad for her. She got a flat and had to have a tow, and was leaking what was probably washer fluid. Plus the cop gave her the look what you're doing lecture and a citation.

So I guess we will see how using insurance goes. I haven't made a claim since I started driving... 11 years ago. It was 100% her fault, but I don't know if that matters. That's the thing that I'm a little worried about is it somehow affecting my insurance rates.

If you're in a no fault state, make sure to file for no fault benefits asap. You may need some medical attention(minor even) and it's free basically.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
This discussion has been closed.