As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resources on learning VBA, or programming in general.

Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better.Registered User regular
Hello,

So I'm like super good at Excel but I want to take it a step farther and actually learn how to use VBA. I know how to make simple macros but at the end of the day these macros ends up being a thousand 'if then' statements that I know isn't the most efficient way of doing it.

Though, I think it's less about learning how to use VBA and learning how to actually program. But since most of my time is with Excel, I guess learning how to program through VBA would be ideal (though I heard VBA is a terrible program).

Anyways, what are some good resources to learn programming and VBA; preferably at the same time?

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    maybe project euler or khan academy?

sig.gif
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Coursera
    Codecademy
    Codeschool
    Open CourseWare

For your purposes, you really only need a simple introductory programming course, as VBA coding in Excel is just recording a macro an then making it better. For this, all you really need to know is loops, variables, and coding best practices.
    Depending on how deeply you want to go, Coursera/Codecademy have simple interactive tutorials that should get you going, and places like Open CourseWare have full semester-long courses in CS.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Coursera
    Codecademy
    Codeschool
    Open CourseWare

For your purposes, you really only need a simple introductory programming course, as VBA coding in Excel is just recording a macro an then making it better. For this, all you really need to know is loops, variables, and coding best practices.
    Depending on how deeply you want to go, Coursera/Codecademy have simple interactive tutorials that should get you going, and places like Open CourseWare have full semester-long courses in CS.

Opencourseware has some great intro stuff.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The above suggestions are good (I'm going to add Udacity to the list, even if I don't quite like the direction they have gone lately).

I would also suggest picking a good language to learn programming fundamentals on (I personally prefer Python), then moving to VBA. That path may take longer, but in the end it would be easier and you will be more flexible than trying to go the other direction.