As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited October 2015 in Games and Technology
SI_WiiU_Amiibo.png

Join the PA community by having your Nintendo Network ID posted here!

READ THE SPOILER FOR INSTRUCTIONS OR YOU WON'T GET ON THE LIST!

Start by sending a PM containing your forum name/NNID to @ " MNC Dover " (remove the spaces before and after the " " marks or it won't work) to get added to the list. Please send me your info like it's shown below to make my job easier.

Also, make sure to enable your friend's list. Do this by hitting the home button on your gamepad and selecting the "friend list" icon on the far left OR going to the MiiVerse and searching for the NNID manually (recommended).

PA name/NNID
MNC Dover/MNC.Dover
Professor Snugglesworth/Pols.Voice
HallowedFaith/Cloudbomb
AngelHedgie/NoxAeternum
minor incident/minor.incident
UnbreakableVow/UnbreakableVow
Toldo/Weegian
SirUltimos/SirUltimos
urahonky/Samson
MonkeyConQueso/MonkeyConQueso
Xenogears of Bore/KingSheet
Turkey/TurkeyFried
Cloudeagle/revatt
cabbie98/cabbie98
Reynolds/RadSuit
lpburk2/lpburk2
Brainiac 8/Brainiac_8
Dritz/LostCrescendo
InvisibleInk/InvisibleInk
Khildith/Khildith
The Sneak!/TheSneak
Shadowfire/Windrunner
AbsoluteZero/AbsoluteZero
raziel_pm/RazielPrime
UncleSporky/UncleSporky
Mystic Terrapin/Ghostosaurus
MOVE IT WITH BUNMASTER!!!/spinach
Aiserou/Aiserou
Athenor/Athenor
vamen/vamenn
The_Spaniard/Span_Wolf
Warlock82/Warlock
Variable/Variable
ManetherenWolf/Manetherenwolf
Optimusbry/Optimusbry
Dracil/dracilcegon
grim123/grim123
Man of the Waves/BuckarooHoliday
BebopSamurai/BebopSamurai
maximumzero/maximumzero
Xaviar/Xaviar
OneAngryPossum/oneangrypossum
Geod/Quamel
skeldare/skeldare
Kuribo's Shoe/ShoeVonDoom
Mosez/Stormblessed
imperialparadox / imperialparadox
TheUnsane1/TheUnsane1
Sagroth/Sagroth
Agahnim / AgahnimD
Beltaine/Beltaine
LockedOnTarget/TheKruseMissile
corin7/corin7
pirateluigi/PirateLuigi
SwashbucklerXX/SwashbucklerXX
Karrmer / Karrmer
Draysoth/Draysoth1
Magic Pink/MagicPink
Mblackwell/Mblackwell
azith28/Shodan
mantis23/mantis23
RidleySaria/RidleySaria
Aoi/edison_carter
Beefjerky/Beefjerky
Beefjerky's non-PA girlfriend/Emily-Rose
Infidel/Orokos
Vicious_GSRVicious/Viciousdex
evilive72/strummer7
wallaka/wallaka
V Faction/V-Faction
TimFiji/Archpriest
Draguscloud/Dragus
TehSpectre/TehSpectre
Panax/Panax_1
BigJoeM/BigJoeM
No Great Name/SirToons
Joe Dizzy/JoeDizzy
Damagemanual/damagemanual
plufim/plufim
John Zoidberg/PAJZ83
WotanAnubis/Wotan-Anubis
Morblitz/Morblitz
H*R/WarrenMSP
draklan/Darker-Q
Chen/PAChen
Rorus Raz/Razola
louie/louieuk
dhs/dhs2004
angrysquirrel/angrysquirrel
Musiqua/Musiqua
Tpsou/TPSout
Green/AngryFrog
stlobus/Lobus42
Kafka87/Kafka87
edzepp/Edzepp
Malakaius/Malakaius
rndmhero/rndmhero
Jam Warrior/JamWarrior
losabio/losabio
Delphinidaes/delphinidaes
BronzeKoopa/hyrulefd
Grove/FallenGrove
Kaimaka/Kaimaka
Oats/Phosgene
JihadJesus/C0Y0T3_SLY
darunia106/Pirate_Burger
Conn/ConnConnor
Corpekata/Corpekata
Maz-/Maz_PA
Enlong/Enlong
Houn / DigitalArcanist
Nitsua/Nitsua16
Mr_Rose/AzarelRose
weeskwee/weeskwee
Man in the Mists/Man_in_the_mists
Spawnbroker/Spawnbroker
finalbroadcast/finalbroadcast
Toxic Toys/ToxicToys
kime/kimedelpell
ArcSyn/ArcSyn
isstasi/isstasi
Masume/Nocero
Nicopernicus/Nicopernicus
TheInspector/AnEvilHypnotist
Yukira/ModelZ
Raybies666/Raybies
Khavall/Khavall
Turambar/Turambar
Lindsey Lohan/n8littlefield
DeviousRakun/DeviousRakun
physi_marc/PhysiMarc
Raybies666/Raybies
Embassy/DJEmbassy
spookymuffin/MegaSpooky
Johnny Chopsocky/JohnnyChopsocky
FuriousJodo/FuriousJodo
Nova_C/Nova_Collision
Descendant X/HankFacepunch
Mr_Grinch / mrgrinchx
Zython/zython
SilentRoughWater/TJandSam
Senor_Queso/ElQuesoUno
Emerlmaster999/MisterBeeb
Figgy/Figgy3

Some important notes/tips from PA posters to help smooth out your initial Wii U experience.
1) Improving Wifi performance
-- It looks like the WII U has some issues with DHCP and automatic configuration of wifi. If you know how, manually enter your IP information into the Wii U, setting the IP Address, Subnet, and gateway to match your DHCP settings but in an area that the modem isn't giving out (up around 240-250 is usually safe). Then manually set DNS - if you don't know it, use 8.8.8.8 (google's DNS). This allowed things to work much better for me.

2) Opting in to friend requests must be done before you can receive friend requests. Do this by hitting the Home button, tapping on Friend List orange button on the left, tap on Settings, enable friend requests.

3) Why the Friends Lists are like they are:

--I wouldn't be surprised if the Miiverse servers really are integral to the Wii U's experience, and timeouts were what was causing the lag.

--Also, I think I've figured out how friend invites work, and why there are 2 different ways to enter them.

--Miiverse: Social integration. You have to opt in to allow friend requests on Miiverse (which at least 4 people in the OP haven't done, *cough cough*) . If you allow friend requests in that, then you'll get notifications when people add you through it, which can be due to profile posts or from playing with other people or all that jazz.

--If, however, you don't want the world to be able to add you, you can just have friends add you via mutual NNID exchange. This is where someone puts in your NNID into their console, and you are not informed about it... But if you put their NNID in as well, then voila! You have each other as friends. (This is how I added the 4 people in the OP who didn't have their friend requests turned on).

--So basically, Nintendo's created two avenues to add friends that are NOT mutually exclusive and can be used as a gatekeeper. If you want the world to be your friend, awesome! If you don't want the world up in your grill but you still want the ability to add friends, awesome! If you want the whole world to leave you alone, go for it.

4) The home button takes a screen shot. Once the home menu is up, you can jump to the miiverse and post it in a comment there. If you don't post it, it's gone as soon as you go back to the game, to be replaced with a new one next time you hit Home.

5) Game updates can be downloaded in the background. If you click the "Start Game" button it will begin background downloading. Then you can do whatever you want while the game update downloads. I don't know if it specifically downloads while you are in the game you're downloading for, but it definitely does if you quit out of it. There is also a "Download Manager" app on the Home button where you can see what it's doing with the downloads.

uEPQ1.png
Do not get attached to this thread. At some point after the Wii U launches (probably after the first holiday season), the thread will be retired. Okay, at this point it's obvious the Wii U Thread has gotten a stay of execution. This is because the system is doing terribly and there'd be practically no Wii U talk without this thread. Do not point to this thread if we decide to shut down the mega thread for some other console. Instead, take solace in knowing your hardware isn't struggling to beat the PS Vita in sales each month. Having said that, the mod staff reserves the right to shut this thread down whenever it deems fit. Especially if behavior becomes routinely toxic.

I'd like this note in every future Wii U thread.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Splatoon Cats vs. Dogs this weekend!

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I wonder how Star Fox Zero controls with the gyro stuff turned off?

What I'd really like is aiming with Wii Remote, steering with nunchuk. It would be sorta like Kid Icarus Uprising.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    In celebration of the new thread, would anybody out there like a a copy of Bit Trip Presents Runner 2?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    How much?

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    For free.

FU7kFbw.png
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Oh well, I will pass. Someone else probably needs a new game more than me.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Earthbound beginnings question:

In the last thread, people were saying its the translation that ended up being Earthbound Zero. If this is correct, is the run button still in the game?

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Super Mario Maker motherfuckers!

Hoping to try it out at a Best Buy near me on Sunday myself. I might bite other customers looking to try it.

NNID: Rehab0
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Eyeball-melting?

Hm... I think I know who I'm talking to.

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Course ya do.

'cause I'm lazy and post the same things on different forums.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    That looks like it could fill the Extreme-G void that I have felt for so long quite well.

Part of me wishes there were ridiculous futuristic weapons constantly being fired and a little more insanity, but I like what is being shown otherwise (and certainly those courses are probably earlier ones). And I also sort of wish there could be a futuristic racer with a soundtrack that consisted of wailing guitars and blistering drumming as opposed to the usual Electronica score, but assuredly rock and roll will have died at the time of . . . whatever the hell year that is supposed to be set in, if we're being realistic. Nitpicks though.

(I realize F-Zero probably has the kind of music I would prefer but I haven't played an F-Zero long enough to know what the majority of the music is comprised of. Will have to get one of those from the Virtual Console sometime to remedy that.)

NNID: Rehab0
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I said it in another thread but Fast Racing Neo looks really fun. However, I can't watch other people play it because it seems like everyone's really bad at it?!

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Truly, that is the Freedom Planet of F-Zero.

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    OK... forma 8.

I like it! At its best, it has the sort of gentle sense of exploration and relaxed mood that the Knytt games have, just with more things trying to kill you. The overall movement has a nice momentum to it, and the 'combat', which involves using your shields to bounce bombs around, is interesting. It does start you back at the beginning of areas when you die, but it saves your collectibles, so that's nice.

It did sort of end abruptly. I'm not sure if I got everything I was supposed to collect, or whether it was hidden behind that door I couldn't open, because I didn't have the key, which the boss was guarding, which I couldn't get because that's where the demo ended.

But I'm definitely interested.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    Earthbound beginnings question:

In the last thread, people were saying its the translation that ended up being Earthbound Zero. If this is correct, is the run button still in the game?

Yes it does! B button. Kind of a hacked-in run button that wasn't in the original game and what it really does is make the whole world go 2x faster, including other people walking around as well. It was put in for the sake of testing during localization, and the localization guy told them it was pretty much necessary to be retained for the final version.

I started playing it last night (I've played most of it before), and it's pretty cool, again despite the roughness. I'm trying to maximize the stats I get from level ups, within reason. Ninten has five stats that can go up 2 or 3, and as long as I get at least three 3's in stats that haven't been dinged a lot earlier, I'm keeping it. I'll definitely be doing this for Ana, who half the time gets 1 Fight and half the time gets 0.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Some tips for Earthbound Beginnings that might not be obvious:

- The Groucho enemies have a chance of leaving the battle on their own and giving a somewhat large amount of Exp. to a random party member. Try guarding until they do.
    - Don't fight the enemies on Mt. Itoi...
    at least the first time you go there and when Eve isn't with you
    - ...if you do fight there, I recommend liberal use of PK Freeze γ if you have it.
    - Be careful of enemies that can petrify you, it never misses.

• Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Thanks folks, will pick it up when i get through some backlog slash have more money.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Fast Racing Neo looks fantastic. That looks very much like something I want to buy.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    A little annoyed that they didn't bother giving the amiibos sprites for powerups. Not even making you bigger when you grab a mushroom???

YL9WnCY.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    A little annoyed that they didn't bother giving the amiibos sprites for powerups. Not even making you bigger when you grab a mushroom???

I think that's because the mystery mushroom sprite counts as being "big", and if you got hit you'd probably revert to small Mario.

The real question is what happens when you get a fire flower.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Huh. Wondering where this has been.

For those curious, apparently, the best version of the game is the Wii version, and the Wii U version is just an uprez of the 3DS version. Good news is the Wii U version comes with a copy of the Wii version.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Only the first print sadly, though.

So it's either buy it early or don't buy it at all/buy a lesser version. I've heard good things about the motion controls in this one.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Back working at Nintendo again. I've seen things....so many things. :D
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'd like to answer all your questions but I simply can't. Just stayed tuned for the E3 coverage! I mean, it's not that much longer, right? ;)

So @MNC Dover, the things that you saw...do you think you could've predicted the overall response to E3 this year? Or do you find yourself going, dammit, why didn't they show all that awesome stuff I saw! :(

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    He might not be able to answer that.

Zython wrote: »

Huh. Wondering where this has been.

For those curious, apparently, the best version of the game is the Wii version, and the Wii U version is just an uprez of the 3DS version. Good news is the Wii U version comes with a copy of the Wii version.

Yeah, though sadly the game's been pushed back to October 13th.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Have they pushed out an actual date for Devil's Third in North America? I keep only hearing about the PAL/Japan version.

Hope NoA doesn't start up their old habits of screwing us on random Nintendo-published games again.

edited June 2015
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Have they pushed out an actual date for Devil's Third in North America? I keep only hearing about the PAL/Japan version.

Hope NoA doesn't start up their old habits of screwing us on random Nintendo-published games again.

NoA has been completely silent when it comes to Devil's Third. It was even omitted from their list of upcoming games. It'll either slip out with little fanfare around the time of the other regions, or get pushed back to sometime next year.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited June 2015

NoA has been completely silent when it comes to Devil's Third. It was even omitted from their list of upcoming games. It'll either slip out with little fanfare around the time of the other regions, or get pushed back to sometime next year.

This wouldn't surprise me. A lot of video game companies, Nintendo included, don't like releasing games in the summer months, and Wii U's release schedule is uncharacteristically packed this fall. They may save it for February/March when their releases are lighter.

Not impossible, but would be extremely weird, considering that they did announce it last year...

Zython on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh right! There was even some pre-E3 rumbling that Devil's Third might be close to done.

Maybe the game just sucks? Wouldn't be a shocker considering the last showing.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh right! There was even some pre-E3 rumbling that Devil's Third might be close to done.

Maybe the game just sucks? Wouldn't be a shocker considering the last showing.

It's coming out in August in Japan & Europe.

• b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    So I'm at my parents house swapping over some wheels on the car this afternoon and these two teens are riding their bikes down the street slow enough that I can catch some of what they were saying. It was nice to hear them chatting about E3, which is the only reason I stopped making automotive noise to semi eavesdrop. Then I instantly regretted it as mostly heard NINTENDOOM! Didnt even hear them say Nintendo, but it was obvious. "...disappointing...not much shown...basically one big thing and a bunch of spinoffs..." I so badly wanted to engage them in a discussion and try to simply enlighten them and maybe remind them that there was a pretty great direct 2 months ago, not to mention the entire week of E3, not just the one direct. But then I thought of my parents and what theyd have to deal with from their neighbors if I started "harassing" their children. So I picked up my tire iron, and quietly went back to work. It's hard looking at others perspective when you know Nintendo is doing as much as every other console producer but without the extra padding from the third party.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I don't think they were wrong.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    I, for one, am surprised that teens are even discussing Nintendo. I thought for sure the conversation would be "Call of Duty Minecraft Assassin's Creed Minecraft"

FU7kFbw.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My son was super duper pissed that a proper Pokemon game wasn't in there this year.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    You could hear them better if you took that chip off your shoulder MZ.

I, for one, am surprised that teens are even discussing Nintendo. I thought for sure the conversation would be "Call of Duty Minecraft Assassin's Creed Minecraft"

Teenagers, not children.