As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I work with history's greatest monster in the [job] thread.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm feeling there's a good chance I may have two offers by the end of next week.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    cr0w wrote: »
    Nija wrote: »
    Just had to confiscate any and all wireless routers/access points because leaving them unplugged with a sign on them saying "Leave Unplugged" due to a recurring IP conflict apparently isn't enough for people. You plug one in, and the entire network shits itself and dies. I've made that clear numerous times, but someone has a pathological need for Wi-Fi here.

Fuck it, they're locked up and in my office. This is why we can't have nice things. If you don't have an ethernet connection in your office, you don't have internet. Suck it up.

This reminds me of something that happened last year.

I work in a large law firm in Los Angeles. (Most of) Our IT is incompetent. Anyone can connect any device to our network (and get internet access) without authentication. The implementation to prevent most individuals from doing anything bad is to only have a single ethernet port in each office. We daisy-chain that for VoIP and network access.

We had a new associate decide he need more internet connected devices. So he went to Best Buy and purchased a router. He attached this home router to our network, and connected all his devices (2 laptops and something else) and started working. His router started a broadcast storm in our headquarters. For non-techies, his router was doing the equivalent of jamming a t-shirt down a toilet, across our entire network. All work ground to a halt. Our IT was incapable of identifying where the problem was, so the entire headquarters could not use our computers or phones. This happened at 9:00 a.m. I left after 4:00 p.m. that day and they had not found the offending item yet. Probably because their solution was to go office by office and unplug the ethernet cable. If I remember correctly, they found the router around 7:00 p.m. and left a handwritten note not to plug it in again.

No one fired. No changes to the network.

This literally happened to me two weeks ago. Someone plugged into a switch with a device that already had an IP assigned to it and blew the entire network. We spent two days trying to track it down, and finally we unplugged one simple cable and everything went back to normal. Now we have recurring IP conflicts that I'm gradually filtering out, mainly by assigning static IPs over 200 in the Wi-Fi routers, but until I can get all that done no one will have Wi-Fi. They've proven they can't handle it.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to assign static IPs to absolutely everything and then if somebody wanted to connect something new, they would have to go to you for the number and access? I'm sure this isn't possible or has its own issues, but just came to mind while reading these issues and wondering how that works.

I've considered it, but that would require me going around to every single machine in this company and doing it, while handling the rest of the IT workload since I'm, literally, the IT department and the only person who does this shit in a 200-person company. And I'm not going to come in on a weekend to assign static IPs. For now, the wireless routers are all I'm focused on since they're the only things giving us shit.

Problem is, the admin password on half the routers was assigned by the last IT guy, who conveniently didn't write them down for me. So it's all gotta be factory reset, and it's Friday so as long as nothing is on fire, I don't give a fuck.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Just had to confiscate any and all wireless routers/access points because leaving them unplugged with a sign on them saying "Leave Unplugged" due to a recurring IP conflict apparently isn't enough for people. You plug one in, and the entire network shits itself and dies. I've made that clear numerous times, but someone has a pathological need for Wi-Fi here.

Fuck it, they're locked up and in my office. This is why we can't have nice things. If you don't have an ethernet connection in your office, you don't have internet. Suck it up.

I work in a large law firm in Los Angeles. (Most of) Our IT is incompetent. Anyone can connect any device to our network (and get internet access) without authentication. The implementation to prevent most individuals from doing anything bad is to only have a single ethernet port in each office. We daisy-chain that for VoIP and network access.

We had a new associate decide he need more internet connected devices. So he went to Best Buy and purchased a router. He attached this home router to our network, and connected all his devices (2 laptops and something else) and started working. His router started a broadcast storm in our headquarters. For non-techies, his router was doing the equivalent of jamming a t-shirt down a toilet, across our entire network. All work ground to a halt. Our IT was incapable of identifying where the problem was, so the entire headquarters could not use our computers or phones. This happened at 9:00 a.m. I left after 4:00 p.m. that day and they had not found the offending item yet. Probably because their solution was to go office by office and unplug the ethernet cable. If I remember correctly, they found the router around 7:00 p.m. and left a handwritten note not to plug it in again.

This literally happened to me two weeks ago. Someone plugged into a switch with a device that already had an IP assigned to it and blew the entire network. We spent two days trying to track it down, and finally we unplugged one simple cable and everything went back to normal. Now we have recurring IP conflicts that I'm gradually filtering out, mainly by assigning static IPs over 200 in the Wi-Fi routers, but until I can get all that done no one will have Wi-Fi. They've proven they can't handle it.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to assign static IPs to absolutely everything and then if somebody wanted to connect something new, they would have to go to you for the number and access? I'm sure this isn't possible or has its own issues, but just came to mind while reading these issues and wondering how that works.

I've considered it, but that would require me going around to every single machine in this company and doing it, while handling the rest of the IT workload since I'm, literally, the IT department and the only person who does this shit in a 200-person company. And I'm not going to come in on a weekend to assign static IPs. For now, the wireless routers are all I'm focused on since they're the only things giving us shit.

Problem is, the admin password on half the routers was assigned by the last IT guy, who conveniently didn't write them down for me. So it's all gotta be factory reset, and it's Friday so as long as nothing is on fire, I don't give a fuck.

Yeah, I didn't even consider the man-hours side of it. Makes sense, thanks for the answer!

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I need that on a shirt.

"It's Friday, and not on fire. I don't care."

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Nocren wrote: »
    I need that on a shirt.

"Mail server is slow, I won't see your ticket till Monday"

Dixon on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    I need that on a shirt.

"Mail server is slow, I won't see your ticket till Monday"

But my problem is that I can't send e-mail!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    After our mail server died, we migrated to Office 365. Which is nice, because I can conveniently say "Oh, Microsoft's servers are acting up right now, so I haven't gotten that e-mail yet" and no one questions me.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I'm not sure where else to post this so I guess here, since it happened when I left work.

Got rear ended on the way home whoo hoo!

It wasn't all so bad. Police came our and wrote a report. I already called the insurance company. I think the lady that hit me thought I'd be coming out raging mad or something, since she seemed real apologetic. It was totally her fault, but I just can't muster up any anger, nor would I want to. Life is too short to be an angry person. I just told her shit happens.

I actually felt more bad for her. She got a flat and had to have a tow, and was leaking what was probably washer fluid. Plus the cop gave her the look what you're doing lecture and a citation.

So I guess we will see how using insurance goes. I haven't made a claim since I started driving... 11 years ago. It was 100% her fault, but I don't know if that matters. That's the thing that I'm a little worried about is it somehow affecting my insurance rates.

If you're in a no fault state, make sure to file for no fault benefits asap. You may need some medical attention(minor even) and it's free basically.

It is a "no fault" state. But I don't need any medical attention. I actually had a great day still afterward. Went to the park, got some beers with friends.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I really don't like doing favors for the teachers. Because inevitably one of them tells another teacher and now I have several teachers expecting the same favor. No, fuck you, do your goddamn job you are paid six digits for.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I think I aced a second interview today. Hoooopefully. Going to hear back next week about final decisions. In the meantime I have another interview at a decent place next week.

Dang it'd be nice not to be unemployed. It takes so much verve out of you.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I got called back for a second interview at the place I interviewed a couple weeks ago

The suggested interview time is once again a date I am not available

ha :?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Yeah, I didn't even consider the man-hours side of it. Makes sense, thanks for the answer!
    And while static IPs will prevent random morons from plugging in a device and having it work (usually), it won't prevent random people who know just enough about networking to be dangerous (even if they don't mean to) from assigning it their own random IP and plugging it in and fucking things up anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I think it's amazing that I can say I genuinely love Help Desk work and still only manage to be offered a temp/contract position. People must think there's something wrong with someone who actually enjoys this type of work.

My work history is food service management. This is so overwhelmingly easier it's not even funny. Plus I get a diversity of work on a day to day, so I don't really get bored.

Plus when I do my job right (and nobody else in IT does anything dumb), I get so much free time.

I actually enjoyed my time on the Help Desk for most of my time there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I really don't like doing favors for the teachers. Because inevitably one of them tells another teacher and now I have several teachers expecting the same favor. No, fuck you, do your goddamn job you are paid six digits for.

Jesus.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Well, I did it. Cleaned out the locker, turned in my slip to Express. Luckily he was like "Come in Monday, we've got other places we can put you. And in 30 days, if you want, we can get you back on at IPC but put you in the cold section."

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Have you considered saying, "Okay, but only as a favour for you?"

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    One of my guys, my absolute favorite hard charging golden child sailor, posted this today
    For the record, Guardians of the Galaxy is one of the worst movies I have ever watched. The only reason I even finished watching is because of Groot.

I must now sabotage his career at every point.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Got a tax rebate

Odd set of circumstances led to it, but there you go

cool few grand for me 8-)

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

This doesn't help, because then even if the first teacher doesn't say anything the others will find out via the vice principal (who is either incompetent or lazy as strikes him) about it and then come to me after getting his "permission" which I then immediately redirect to my supervisor. Not foolproof, but she tends to be good about only letting important stuff get through, so it's something.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I'm not sure where else to post this so I guess here, since it happened when I left work.

Got rear ended on the way home whoo hoo!

It wasn't all so bad. Police came our and wrote a report. I already called the insurance company. I think the lady that hit me thought I'd be coming out raging mad or something, since she seemed real apologetic. It was totally her fault, but I just can't muster up any anger, nor would I want to. Life is too short to be an angry person. I just told her shit happens.

I actually felt more bad for her. She got a flat and had to have a tow, and was leaking what was probably washer fluid. Plus the cop gave her the look what you're doing lecture and a citation.

So I guess we will see how using insurance goes. I haven't made a claim since I started driving... 11 years ago. It was 100% her fault, but I don't know if that matters. That's the thing that I'm a little worried about is it somehow affecting my insurance rates.

If you're in a no fault state, make sure to file for no fault benefits asap. You may need some medical attention(minor even) and it's free basically.

It is a "no fault" state. But I don't need any medical attention. I actually had a great day still afterward. Went to the park, got some beers with friends.

Ok, but if you feel pain anywhere at any point within the next couple of weeks, file.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    oh boy

surprise trip to europe to be the face of the project to the customer, and I get to miss the 4th of july weekend? sign me up fuck
    So what you're saying is, it's time to show Europe how Murica celebrates the 4th.

sig.gif
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

This doesn't help, because then even if the first teacher doesn't say anything the others will find out via the vice principal (who is either incompetent or lazy as strikes him) about it and then come to me after getting his "permission" which I then immediately redirect to my supervisor. Not foolproof, but she tends to be good about only letting important stuff get through, so it's something.

... wait, how does the VP find out? Wuttttt.

Office politics is such high drama.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Well I technically have a job now.

Got hired through a temp agency to be a temp driver for Fed Ex

But they have no idea how often I'll have work, I won't know when they need me till the day before (or sometimes the morning of :? ) unless it's more than one day in a row, and they probably won't have any work at all till at least October.

Woo?!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015

... wait, how does the VP find out? Wuttttt.

Office politics is such high drama.

He finds out because I first need to get approval from my supervisor, the principal, in order to actually do the favor and she then relays it to him so he knows what I'm doing. The ideal goal is that both of them know what's going on and can plan around it as an exception to the usual, whereas the actual result is the vice principal assuming it's part of my normal duties. Hence why I, and the principal, consider him to be incompetent.

Madican on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Sorce wrote: »
    oh boy

surprise trip to europe to be the face of the project to the customer, and I get to miss the 4th of july weekend? sign me up fuck
    So what you're saying is, it's time to show Europe how Murica celebrates the 4th.

I feel like setting off a bunch of explosives in a populated public area would be a good way to get kicked out of the country and probably lose your job.

Or, you know, arrested.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    oh boy

I feel like setting off a bunch of explosives in a populated public area would be a good way to get kicked out of the country and probably lose your job.

Or, you know, arrested.

That's because they took away their FREEDOM! He need's to reintroduce FREEDOM! to the poor oppressed masses of Europe. 1 bottle rocket, and 1 mortar at a time!

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    oh boy

Or, you know, arrested.
    MURICA.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to be working the entirety of the July 4th weekend; on the one hand, no traffic in town and on the other, no barbecue.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Geth is one cold-hearted asshole.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Dear guy who dropped the ball today,

You inconvenienced a dozen people or so in our office, but probably worse was the pretend-surprise you put in your e-mail, sent after we'd ended this harrowing day. You knew how hard you were fucking everyone over as soon as you dropped the fucking ball.

So, fuck you! Thanks and take care,

Me

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    So while yesterday was fuckawful

I was reminded today that it's okay because I actually really like my job!

And I got two little "hey you did something awesome!" notes from coworkers

And 5 out of my 6 shifts this week have been coordinator shifts (like a lead? Under a manager, above regular associates) so I feel pretty good.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    oh boy

Or, you know, arrested.
    MURICA.

Well, it turns out that I'll get to spend most of the 3rd flying back (time zones! its like magic)

So I'll just get to celebrate the 4th by sleeping off jet lag, probably.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Should I be concerned if i am getting more than a few linkedin views, friend requests, and emails from a bunch of companies in India all with the word "outsourcing" in them? Or is this just fishing in 2015?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Omg

Omgomgomgomgomg

My amazing, wonderful, beautiful, amazing wife

Just got off work. Decided to go to Chiptotle which, no shock, was packed. More than usual though because they'd run out of white rice.

So one of the workers was asking for anyone who was okay with brown rice to come up which my wife does.

But at the front there's a lady who is flipping out. She is furious that they let the white rice run out. She's demanding to talk to the manager except he's busy making more rice and if he talks to her that's gonna slow it down.

And after a bit of this my wife eventually turns to her and says "It's. A. Burrito. You'll be fine."

She left with the most stuffed burrito I have ever seen and with offers of free guac but she didn't want it this time around.

But she lived the service industry dream. She told someone to get over themselves.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Omg

Omgomgomgomgomg

My amazing, wonderful, beautiful, amazing wife

Just got off work. Decided to go to Chiptotle which, no shock, was packed. More than usual though because they'd run out of white rice.

So one of the workers was asking for anyone who was okay with brown rice to come up which my wife does.

But at the front there's a lady who is flipping out. She is furious that they let the white rice run out. She's demanding to talk to the manager except he's busy making more rice and if he talks to her that's gonna slow it down.

And after a bit of this my wife eventually turns to her and says "It's. A. Burrito. You'll be fine."

She left with the most stuffed burrito I have ever seen and with offers of free guac but she didn't want it this time around.

But she lived the service industry dream. She told someone to get over themselves.

I did that once at the public library when I was helping this super cool old gentleman with only one hand on a computer and another patron barged over to demand a really minor thing. I told him very firmly that I would help when I was finished as I wanted to make sure the actual holocaust survivor had every single I thing I could ever help him with ever.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Today I got to reply to an email from someone requesting some bullshit about some more bullshit who is generally a pain in the neck that I no longer work there and they should forward all future requests to the relevant personnel.

From a boat, on my phone while taking a break from fishing, during my bachelor party.

It was extremely cathartic.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Woke up this afternoon feeling shitty. Took something, went back to bed.

Woke up later, before work, feeling a bit less shitty, but still shitty.

I managed to get two hours into work tonight, my shittiness steadily increasing, before I said "fuck this" and left.

Time to get some more sleep.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I had Wednesday and Thursday off. On Tuesday, I answered a call from a nearby competitor grocery store, in which they told me that they'd been having people trying to cash in milk bottle deposits in bulk amounts, and that a lot of the bottles had discount stickers from our brand (I work for a grocery owned by Kroger but with it's own branding, got bought back in the 90's I think). During my last hour today, I'm working the express check out desk, when a dirty, obviously tweaking, guy comes up with about twenty of these glass gallon milk jugs in various bags that are also obviously salvaged from garbage bins, and he's doing his best "No I'm totally a regular customer" routine.

A big part of training for this job is fraud/scam prevention. These bottles have a multi-dollar deposit because it's some fancy-ass milk and the jars are some heavy glass and it's basically the first thing you're told to look out for, people returning an unreasonable amount of them. My supervisor was working the till right next to me, so I wait for him to finish his transaction so he can turn the guy away, which is what we're supposed to do. We turn the guy away, sure, the bottles aren't going back to the creamery, but we didn't pay out $50 in bottle returns to a methhead.

Two minutes later a clerk come over with a cart full of around fifteen bottles, the brand new cashier over on another lane processed returns for a second guy in with a load of stolen bottles.

edit: Nuka's store also got hit up by some of these guys today (we work at different stores about a mile apart)

Weaver on
This discussion has been closed.