As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    I, for one, am surprised that teens are even discussing Nintendo. I thought for sure the conversation would be "Call of Duty Minecraft Assassin's Creed Minecraft"

Teenagers, not children.

See, I'm thinking 13 to 15 year olds, you must be skewing your teenagers higher.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I, for one, am surprised that teens are even discussing Nintendo. I thought for sure the conversation would be "Call of Duty Minecraft Assassin's Creed Minecraft"

Teenagers, not children.

See, I'm thinking 13 to 15 year olds, you must be skewing your teenagers higher.

Yeah, when I hear "teenager", I think high school, not middle school. Middle schoolers are children who think they're teenagers.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash Preview
    This may sound unusual compared to some of the more prominent titles such as Super Mario Maker and StarFox, but when the Mushroom Kingdom takes to the court, it's all aces.

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash sends Mario and co. back out to the tennis courts for a new round of aces, deuces, advantages, and games, sets, and matches. And it was the most enjoyable experience I had at my booth tour for Nintendo! The Wii U build was in an early state, so only Mario and Bowser were playable in the singles match I played with our demonstrator, but considering it's a Mario spin-off, expect usual suspects such as Luigi, Peach, Daisy, and possibly Donkey Kong and Yoshi, among others.

Controls were especially simple, as each button on the ABXY part of the controller was mapped to a specific shot, including a simple shot, lobs, and smashes. During the match, nearby Toads will throw out various power-ups to players, and picking them up on the run gives the tennis players special abilities. During my match, I picked up a Mega Mushroom, turning Mario into gigantic size, and making every shot harder and faster than before, which put me up 30-15.

It's a simple concept, and normally I would find tennis games boring. But into my second set, the demonstrator as Bowser and I as Mario got so into it that we had a good five-minute rally to the point that other people began to watch and cheer. That, my friends, is the start of a true and awesome experience.

My only concern, which I was not able to get an answer for from Nintendo, is if online play will be available. Representatives would not say if it would be available by launch; let's hope it comes in, or better yet, hope players have good friends and a competitive streak. This could be one of the brightest on the Wii U yet when it releases for the holiday season.

Sounds good with the buttons for precise shots and I'm almost certain there will probably be online given its focus for Nintendo as of late.

Don't know why the guy doing the preview says possibly Donkey Kong and Yoshi though. They are forgone conclusions in Mario sports games.

b1rdman wrote: »
    So I picked up my tire iron

I thought that story was about to take a dark turn!

NNID: Rehab0
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Thirteen to Fifteen?

You have to admit though, you do kind of have a tendency to view swathes of gamers through the same lens of assumption and stereotype that you think everyone else views Nintendo.

I was just having some lighthearted fun poking at that.

Viskod on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Rehab wrote: »
    Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash Preview
    This may sound unusual compared to some of the more prominent titles such as Super Mario Maker and StarFox, but when the Mushroom Kingdom takes to the court, it's all aces.

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash sends Mario and co. back out to the tennis courts for a new round of aces, deuces, advantages, and games, sets, and matches. And it was the most enjoyable experience I had at my booth tour for Nintendo! The Wii U build was in an early state, so only Mario and Bowser were playable in the singles match I played with our demonstrator, but considering it's a Mario spin-off, expect usual suspects such as Luigi, Peach, Daisy, and possibly Donkey Kong and Yoshi, among others.

Controls were especially simple, as each button on the ABXY part of the controller was mapped to a specific shot, including a simple shot, lobs, and smashes. During the match, nearby Toads will throw out various power-ups to players, and picking them up on the run gives the tennis players special abilities. During my match, I picked up a Mega Mushroom, turning Mario into gigantic size, and making every shot harder and faster than before, which put me up 30-15.

It's a simple concept, and normally I would find tennis games boring. But into my second set, the demonstrator as Bowser and I as Mario got so into it that we had a good five-minute rally to the point that other people began to watch and cheer. That, my friends, is the start of a true and awesome experience.

My only concern, which I was not able to get an answer for from Nintendo, is if online play will be available. Representatives would not say if it would be available by launch; let's hope it comes in, or better yet, hope players have good friends and a competitive streak. This could be one of the brightest on the Wii U yet when it releases for the holiday season.

Sounds good with the buttons for precise shots and I'm almost certain there will probably be online given its focus for Nintendo as of late.

Don't know why the guy doing the preview says possibly Donkey Kong and Yoshi though. They are forgone conclusions in Mario sports games.

Why wouldn't it have online? The 3DS tennis had online.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Early teens. And I'm not saying they were wrong exactly, just looking at it wrong. They show stuff all year, and they had major drops all week IMO. Yeah, Sony and MS had better showing depending on who you ask, but let's check back in at the end of the year and see how many games from all 3 conferences are out. I feel like more of Nintendo's will be. But like MZ said, I shouldn't be surprised, because there are new gamers coming up every day that want more and more COD and yearly release offerings. I've moved on from that and like the diversity that some companies offer.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Mario Tennis is prob a buy for me. Now we just need a shiny new WiiU Mario Golf and ill be pretty happy.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    My son was super duper pissed that a proper Pokemon game wasn't in there this year.

Clearly Lindsay Lohan Junior has not yet learned about the evils of annualized game development.
    I thought that story was about to take a dark turn!

The Console Wars get literal.

I'm still a bit surprised that Nintendo doesn't just make Camelot do a Mario Sports Collection game.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    They had Mario sports mix, but they need to flesh out all sports like they did with strikers, golf and tennis. I love Mario sports more than EA sports games.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    There were plenty of problems with Nintendo's presentation so if people want to be down on it I completely understand. Some great games are coming in the next few months for 3DS and Wii U but there were also a couple huge blows in the lineup too. Mostly in regard to what is being done to Metroid and Animal Crossing, both of which are terrible directions and largely unwanted by fans of either series (and especially damning for those who are fans of both, which I would imagine is a large amount of people). Additionally there were several minutes of cringe worthy anime bullshit that made you wonder why you were watching.

Things were simply not presented as well as they could have been. But once you get to the end and look at the overall quality of the games, its actually pretty good! Not the best lineup that Nintendo has had going into a holiday, but it was really helped by announcements like Triforce Heroes and Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash.

NNID: Rehab0
    b1rdman wrote: »
    They had Mario sports mix, but they need to flesh out all sports like they did with strikers, golf and tennis. I love Mario sports more than EA sports games.

Mario Hockey could be fantastic!

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I know that Nintendo doesn't believe E3 is important but it kinda is. Nintendo Directs barely make it to the front page of techie websites, let alone major news stations. I think they need to rethink their strategy. I do love Nintendo Directs but I vastly prefer bombshells being dropped at E3.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I know that Nintendo doesn't believe E3 is important but it kinda is. Nintendo Directs barely make it to the front page of techie websites, let alone major news stations. I think they need to rethink their strategy. I do love Nintendo Directs but I vastly prefer bombshells being dropped at E3.

I think the purpose of the directs was to try to inject more visibility and hope to the Wii U to counteract its terrible sales. Most of the directs have been pretty cool, but as a result they made it more difficult for Nintendo to come up with a really exciting, surprise-filled E3 presentation.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Additionally there were several minutes of cringe worthy anime bullshit that made you wonder why you were watching.

Revelation of the Illusion #FE is the most anime bullshit and I will buy it and love it

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    #FE is one of the games that means i'll finally buy a wiiu

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    It is so anime I think I'd rather just watch an #FE OVA and play Persona 5.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I'm personally going the other way and waiting for the improved handheld version of P5 (because it's happened two times in a row already) and going to play the hell out of #FE.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I'm sure the tennis game will be good, but it'll have to either be great or be a $40 title for me to pick it up. Mario Tennis just isn't something I see as an essential buy, unlike all of the things that didn't show up at E3.

I did find TopSpin pretty enjoyable on the XBOX back in ~2007, and it had button mapping that sounds similar - A/B/X/Y were something like Regular/Drop/Spin/Lob shots. The real hook there though was the career mode, which had some surprising depth. You unlocked outfits and had to do challenge levels with different coaches to upgrade skills, all while traveling to tournaments on a world map. If Mario Tennis U comes with something like that I'm on board.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Why don't Nintendo directs get as much exposure as E3 shows?

I mean, unless you're a guy who was invited to the show floor, you'd only watch an E3 show online anyway, so I'm confused as to the difference.

Enlong wrote: »

I mean, unless you're a guy who was invited to the show floor, you'd only watch an E3 show online anyway, so I'm confused as to the difference.

Well, I would imagine there is a demographic of semi-hardcore gamers that pay attention to E3 shit, but not much else in the way of major announcements. Though whether this demographic is sizable is debatable.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    I hope this was posted already but if not:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRcGHIp8KvY

This game looks hot hot hot. I was thinking I was going to buy it but was feeling unsure and now I simply have to get it.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

I wonder if Robin is a persona.

Until I had a U and started visiting this thread I had no idea the Directs were a thing.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I miss Space World.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    urahonky wrote: »

I fear it's actually the opposite problem. Nintendo believes E3 is too important. They still see it as an actual expo, meant to attract investors to their company. That's why their Digital Event was so full of "blue ocean" games.

What Nintendo fails to realize is that E3 has been hijacked by hardcore gaming enthusiasts. Investors and the media look less at the actual presentations and more at the response to those presentations. If the reaction is negative, that is what gets noticed.

The 2014 Digital Event had tons of pandering to gamers, so I assumed Nintendo had finally figured it out. But the 2015 Digital Event shows that last year was a fluke and they still don't get it.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

Until I had a U and started visiting this thread I had no idea the Directs were a thing.

Nintendo knows how to reach their core audience, the real fanatics. We're the ones who seek out the information so they really don't need to do much. Their problem seems to be reaching everyone else and it doesn't help that they're largely cutting the enthusiast media out of the equation. I've noticed that everyone I know who plays games is blissfully unaware of anything Nintendo is doing. They sure as heck know that Final Fantasy 7 is being remade but they've never heard of Nintendo Direct - nor do they care to hear about the under-powered Nintendo system with the strange controller. It's a complete 180 from last generation when I actually had people ask me about the Wii.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    I can't discount anyone's opinion on the event (no more so than could overturn it without a time machine), but i felt this year's event was perhaps more pleasing to me as a gamer than last year's. For mot of it I was thinking "wow, look at all these almost-here release dates. I guess 2015 is also the year of 2015."

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I thought 2015 is finally the year of the PS3

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Maz- wrote: »
    I thought 2015 is finally the year of the PS3

Delayed to 2016

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Do all the other E3 events get shown on TV or something?

They used to back when G4 was a thing. I'm not sure, possible SpikeTV might show something.

Since everything's online nowadays though, not really much point.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Hm.

Sony's is shown in movie theaters for some inexplicable reason.

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I can't discount anyone's opinion on the event (no more so than could overturn it without a time machine), but i felt this year's event was perhaps more pleasing to me as a gamer than last year's. For mot of it I was thinking "wow, look at all these almost-here release dates. I guess 2015 is also the year of 2015."

Yeah, I was disappointed there wasn't anything totally new, Wii U-wise, but actually looking at releases this year I'm probably going to get Mario Maker, Yoshi, Star Fox, and Xenoblade and I'm strongly considering Fatal Frame, that's more than I would get on either of the other consoles

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Sony has a movie division?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

Sony has a movie division?

I guess I should rephrase that. What's inexplicable is that they expect people to go to a theater for their conference, and that people actually do.

Nintendo could have announced that Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival would be available immediately after the presentation, and it still would have gone over the same way.

Because it's a board game starring cute animal people that requires peripherals no one can buy being sold to the people who watch E3.

Only announcing games that are near release is all well and good, as long as they're games that generate hype. But that game is pure anti-hype.

Watchu got against board games and cute animal people?

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Well, I was underwhelmed by the Direct, but I have at least three indies that I'm dying to buy now, so I consider that a win. The Nindies@Home program was a great idea, especially the discounts.

Watchu got against board games and cute animal people?

You can be racist to board games? :P

edzepp on