As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Its a great big [Steven Universe] out there!

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i imagine that the show has to talk around explicit mentions of homosexual love in a way that I'm pretty deeply inclined to read romantic subtext into scenes, given the amount of homosexual romance the show does manage to get onto the screen

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    side note

the "initiate warp" noise is exactly the pokeball noise

and it drives me crazy

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

http://adriofthedead.tumblr.com/post/121865556264/cartoon-network-no-rebecca-marceline-and
    cartoon network:no rebecca, marceline and bubblegum aren't lesbians

rebecca sugar:...fine

rebecca sugar:then ill just make my own show

rebecca sugar:and they'll ALL be lesbians

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    side note

the "initiate warp" noise is exactly the pokeball noise

and it drives me crazy

omg it isssssss

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    we
    are the crystal
    gems *pokeball noise*

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I thought PB and M were already?

Gvzbgul on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

UmNdy6F.png?1

so, who is that guy?

Melding on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Apropros of nothing but I hope whenever the Diamond authority comes they come in a huge crystal body (sans one hand) that just slams into the ocean and which the crystal gems have to fight against. Just, monstrously huge. The giantest woman.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I thought they were?

At least one of the people behind Adventure Time confirmed they were in a relationship, but they've also made it clear PB also likes boys

Sweeney Tom on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    [IMG][/img]
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Also, I did not know that Mayor Dewey is voiced by Joel Hodgson of MST3K.

I learned something tonight.

[IMG][/img]
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I don't think its fair to blame Rose for the way Pearl was
    Niether has many options. Rose doesn't want that kind of relationship but Pearl has no real way of distancing herself from Rose without being exiled from her own kind and there are no other viable partners(assuming Pearl is a Gemsexuel) so she's just stuck watching Rose pursue various relationships.

Its not fair to ask Pearl to abandon her feelings or her home but its also not fair to stop Rose from dating.

Its just a really bad situation.

I think everyone is kinda
    assuming too much about what Rose did or didn't want in a relationship with Pearl

We don't know enough yet about what they had, because one half of it is still a complete mystery. We've gotten insight into Pearl, but we still know extremely little about Rose. It won't be possible to tell what kind of relationship she did or did not want to have until we know more.

For now, all we know is she was interested in Greg Universe and had been interested in other humans, too.

Also worth mentioning that, as this episode clearly spells out, Gems aren't human, and our romantic relationship culture are not one to one.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I thought they were?

At least one of the people behind Adventure Time confirmed they were in a relationship, but they've also made it clear PB also likes boys

Marcy also likes boys, since she seemed very serious about dating Ash.

And Peebles and Marcy's past relationship was "allegedly" confirmed by Marceline's voice actress Oliva Olson.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EleCNWfwTY
    But she then rescinded her comment, claiming it was all funny comedy jokes and not real:
    tflvyUt.png

General fan consensus is that Cartoon Network made them reel it in out of fear of rabid "family" groups like the inaccurately-named One Million Moms and the like because those folks have a talent for getting advertisers to cut and run.

TankHammer on
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Mayor Dewey
    Mayor Dewey
    UmNdy6F.png?1
    Mayor Dewey
    Mayor Dewey

Someone made this on Tumblr in response to We Need To Talk
    2aeCGvD.jpg
    "We Need to Talk" in a nutshell - Sharkey93

We Need To Talk.
    I mean, not speaking from personal experience, but I'm here to tell you that when you look up to someone, then that someone finds somebody else you think they like more, it doesn't do good things for your mental state.

Again, not speaking from personal experience. At all. This has never happened to me. Ever.

[IMG][/img]
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I was over at a friend's house when we watched We Need To Talk. Our 3rd friend had never seen an episode of the show before, but we made him watch it with us. So immediately, 15 seconds into the episode...
    A kid spins around with another kid until they fuse into a teenager. The confusion was fantastic.

Dr. Flamingo on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I don't know what show you are watching wherein there is not a giant amount of both overt statements and subtle subtext that Pearl is mad in love with Rose.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    This latest episode is great.
    It's a little weird that Garnet tells Mr Universe that he has to dance like himself, but when Steven was learning how to fuse they made him copy all of their moves. I guess the Gems were just trying to humour Steven, not actually teach him to fuse. Why else would they teach him the exact opposite of how to fuse?
    She wasn't telling him how to Fuse. She was telling him how to express his feelings to Rose and get closer to him.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    This latest episode is great.
    It's a little weird that Garnet tells Mr Universe that he has to dance like himself, but when Steven was learning how to fuse they made him copy all of their moves. I guess the Gems were just trying to humour Steven, not actually teach him to fuse. Why else would they teach him the exact opposite of how to fuse?
    She wasn't telling him how to Fuse. She was telling him how to express his feelings to Rose and get closer to him.

Regardless
    We do know that in order to fuse you have to dance like yourself from earlier episodes. Remember though that that part was less about getting Steven to fuse and more teaching him the idea behind fusing. They were teaching him to dance so he could learn to Fusion Dance.

Quire.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Good point. Cos she has future vision and all.

I don't know what show you are watching wherein there is not a giant amount of both overt statements and subtle subtext that Pearl is mad in love with Rose.

This one

But its extremely open to interpretation and I totally get the reasoning behind it

I just don't see it
    We Need To Talk.
    I mean, not speaking from personal experience, but I'm here to tell you that when you look up to someone, then that someone finds somebody else you think they like more, it doesn't do good things for your mental state.

Again, not speaking from personal experience. At all. This has never happened to me. Ever.

Yeah. The reaction she has is not exclusive to romantic jealousy

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular

This one

But its extremely open to interpretation and I totally get the reasoning behind it

I just don't see it
    We Need To Talk.

Yeah. The reaction she has is not exclusive to romantic jealousy

Sorry for your lots

Slumber party episode today

I figure there is an equal chance for it to be a fun goofy episode or a super heavy one

this show is weird that way

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    What a fun episode.

i.imgur.com/5SJVoy8.gif

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Even though you have to dance like yourself, you also have to dance in sync with the other person. Remember in the first fusion episode, pearl and amethyst fuck up fusing because they can't sync up right

So I imagine that's more what they were trying to teach Steven, how to keep in step with someone else

What a fun episode.

i.imgur.com/5SJVoy8.gif

I love pearls jazzercize outfit

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    All the 80's gems looks were spot on.

Totally right that Garnet is rocking a keytar.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Minor spoilers for WNTT
    Rainbow Quartz looked baller in that unitard and leg warmers and that hair.

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    All the 80's gems looks were spot on.

Totally right that Garnet is rocking a keytar.

Actually that's more specific to each character's thematic instruments throughout the show. Garnet is synth bass, pearl piano/keyboards, amethyst percussion/drums, iirc.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
    Peridot...
    What's her end game? It doesn't seem like she took anything from kindergarten except knowing the results of the fusion experiments. Just information, that she probably wants to get to homeworld, but she's stuck on earth. The galaxy warp has been totally destroyed by the crystal gems right? It was only depicted in a possible future vision with the botched explosion though. The next best thing would be trying to contact homeworld for backup or tracking down Jasper. Peridot now also has free reign on the domestic warps, and the crystal gems have a warp right in a super vulnerable location in Steven's home. She might infiltrate the temple and look for a wailing stone to make contact.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Peridot...
    What's her end game? It doesn't seem like she took anything from kindergarten except knowing the results of the fusion experiments. Just information, that she probably wants to get to homeworld, but she's stuck on earth. The galaxy warp has been totally destroyed by the crystal gems right? It was only depicted in a possible future vision with the botched explosion though. The next best thing would be trying to contact homeworld for backup or tracking down Jasper. Peridot now also has free reign on the domestic warps, and the crystal gems have a warp right in a super vulnerable location in Steven's home. She might infiltrate the temple and look for a wailing stone to make contact.
    Does she even need to contact home world?

Presumably people know she was headed to Earth. It wasn't a secret. She had to ask someone for help because otherwise Jasper wouldn't have been there.

So, one of your intelligence agents goes with a grizzled war veteran to a planet for the purpose of capturing traitors and they don't come back.

Homeworld (or at least, someone on homeworld) knows what's up. They'll come looking.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    SITCOM GEMS ARE THE BEST

BUNGACOWA!

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Well then
    That seems like the last nail in the coffin for the idea that Pearl doesn't love Rose romantically.

Quire.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I was over at a friend's house when we watched We Need To Talk. Our 3rd friend had never seen an episode of the show before, but we made him watch it with us. So immediately, 15 seconds into the episode...
    A kid spins around with another kid until they fuse into a teenager. The confusion was fantastic.

bahahah

that's adorable.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Slumber party episode today

I figure there is an equal chance for it to be a fun goofy episode or a super heavy one

this show is weird that way

It really is.

you never can tell.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Well then
    That seems like the last nail in the coffin for the idea that Pearl doesn't love Rose romantically.
    There's no way there are even backup nails for that at this point

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Even though you have to dance like yourself, you also have to dance in sync with the other person. Remember in the first fusion episode, pearl and amethyst fuck up fusing because they can't sync up right

So I imagine that's more what they were trying to teach Steven, how to keep in step with someone else

The implication to me is that the dancing is just a general formality to facilitate physical contact, and syncing up emotionally and mentally is what actually results in fusion. There is a later episode fusion that has no dancing involved and just required closeness and contact between two very synced individuals.

This discussion has been closed.