Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[tech] It's Tech Spring Cleaning Week now. Clean your....tech....stuff.

24567100

Posts

  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    :-1:

    emoji3.png?w=630

    my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    These klipsh earbuds I got are not impressing me

    Very clear

    But max volume is so weak compared to the 3 year old shitty 30 dollar skullcandys

  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    These klipsh earbuds I got are not impressing me

    Very clear

    But max volume is so weak compared to the 3 year old shitty 30 dollar skullcandys

    Sounds like the perfect excuse to add a portable DAC/amp!

    [
    chrishallett83denihilist
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I have an amp

    Using it defeats the portability of earbuds

    If I'm.home, I may as well use my sennheiser 550s.

  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Anyone have recommendations for a case for a Note 3? My wife recently dropped her phone and shattered the screen so it got me to thinking about protecting mine. I don't want some fuckhuge case since my phone is already big as it is, and pretty colors or designs are nice but not required. I've never owned a case though and I don't know what is good or bad so I come to you, tech thread.

    eg62xrm.jpg
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations for a case for a Note 3? My wife recently dropped her phone and shattered the screen so it got me to thinking about protecting mine. I don't want some fuckhuge case since my phone is already big as it is, and pretty colors or designs are nice but not required. I've never owned a case though and I don't know what is good or bad so I come to you, tech thread.

    get a tempered glass screen protector if you want to protect the screen without making it fuckhuge

    my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations for a case for a Note 3? My wife recently dropped her phone and shattered the screen so it got me to thinking about protecting mine. I don't want some fuckhuge case since my phone is already big as it is, and pretty colors or designs are nice but not required. I've never owned a case though and I don't know what is good or bad so I come to you, tech thread.

    get a tempered glass screen protector if you want to protect the screen without making it fuckhuge

    Any particular brands you might recommend or are they all pretty good?

    eg62xrm.jpg
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I dropped my S6 from about waist high a couple of weeks back. Dropped it in a parking lot, I was real dumb and didn't put it into my pocket while fiddling with the door and a bag. I'm kind of surprised the screen didn't shatter, the only damage is some putting on the aluminum around the edge.

    [
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations for a case for a Note 3? My wife recently dropped her phone and shattered the screen so it got me to thinking about protecting mine. I don't want some fuckhuge case since my phone is already big as it is, and pretty colors or designs are nice but not required. I've never owned a case though and I don't know what is good or bad so I come to you, tech thread.

    get a tempered glass screen protector if you want to protect the screen without making it fuckhuge

    Any particular brands you might recommend or are they all pretty good?

    Amazon reviews are usually the way I go, most will cost you around 10 bucks without shipping from there. Shoot for something around 0.3mm thick

    my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
    Darmak
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I was cleaning my room earlier and must have thrown out my ear buds by accident. I'm so pissed at myself. But I don't want to dig them out of the garbage can.

    Who makes decent earbuds for less than say 30 bucks?

  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I was cleaning my room earlier and must have thrown out my ear buds by accident. I'm so pissed at myself. But I don't want to dig them out of the garbage can.

    Who makes decent earbuds for less than say 30 bucks?

    I've found this model from Sony to be fairly reliable.

    tom_sig2.jpgYKjfRSx.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    So should I upgrade to Windows 10?

    I'm kind of worried it'll lower my performance or break some of my older/more esoteric programs that I use.

    X22wmuF.jpg
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations for a case for a Note 3? My wife recently dropped her phone and shattered the screen so it got me to thinking about protecting mine. I don't want some fuckhuge case since my phone is already big as it is, and pretty colors or designs are nice but not required. I've never owned a case though and I don't know what is good or bad so I come to you, tech thread.

    get a tempered glass screen protector if you want to protect the screen without making it fuckhuge

    Any particular brands you might recommend or are they all pretty good?

    Amazon reviews are usually the way I go, most will cost you around 10 bucks without shipping from there. Shoot for something around 0.3mm thick

    my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Why was that still there

    Anyways

    Galaxy S6 seems dope so far. Camera is unreasonably good.

    Root took two seconds and was super easy, with Greenify I'm getting decent battery life

    my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
    chrishallett83
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid History Will Absolve Me Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    turtleant wrote: »
    So should I upgrade to Windows 10?

    I'm kind of worried it'll lower my performance or break some of my older/more esoteric programs that I use.

    I've been running the preview on an old dual core machine and it's been fine.

    Some audio glitches from Chrome is the worst problem I've had and it's run everything I've tried to on it so far.

    Wait and see if you're not sure, but it seems pretty solid already.

    Diarmuid on

    TankHammer
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Ok, I let the phone run down to 4% from 100% with no charge today

    Just under 14 hours, with just over 4 hours SoT

    If that stays consistent that's pretty fine as far as battery goes, this phone doesn't have a huge one

    my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    T4CT wrote: »
    Ok, I let the phone run down to 4% from 100% with no charge today

    Just under 14 hours, with just over 4 hours SoT

    If that stays consistent that's pretty fine as far as battery goes, this phone doesn't have a huge one

    I generally leave mine in regular Power Saving mode and can get around 22 hours with ~3 hours of SoT. I haven't bothered to root or install Greenify yet.

    The GS6 has definitely shown me that flagship phones are probably "overpowered" in some ways. Leaving it in Power Saving mode doesn't produce much noticeable lag.

    jgeis on
    [
    T4CTMadEddy
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Master Librarian and Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    Got my Pebble Time.

    Why yes. I would like an app that will show the the exact price of Bitcoins at all times.


    I need something to laugh at constantly.

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork


    chrishallett83TankHammer
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    so I've found a temporary workaround for the battery problems on the nexus 9 (5.1.1)

    they apparently went to great lengths to hide the battery saver mode toggle (even removing/not placing it on the notifications drop down) but it is still in there. Settings->Battery->Options (Ellipses button)->Battery Saver. Only lost 2% while idle overnight vs the usual 15-20%, so I'll take it.

    B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    Is there any point in complaining to Time Warner about internet speed? I got upgraded for free from 25 Mbs to 100, but apart from the first day I don't think we've ever gone about 25.

  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    212 Windows Updates to go.......

    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Any guidance on a new unlocked phone to buy that isn't too bad in cost? My Moto X is really beaten up at this point, so I'm looking to replace it. Looking for pure android, some level of burly phone as I'm abusive, and decent battery life.

  • DiarmuidDiarmuid History Will Absolve Me Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/06/samsung-promises-to-stop-disabling-windows-update/

    Uh, what the Hell, Samsung?



    schuss wrote: »
    Any guidance on a new unlocked phone to buy that isn't too bad in cost? My Moto X is really beaten up at this point, so I'm looking to replace it. Looking for pure android, some level of burly phone as I'm abusive, and decent battery life.

    A Moto G maybe? Not as powerful as the X obviously, but it'll give you most of what the X does.

    Diarmuid on

  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    welp my S4 has fallen victim to the 'doesn't charge, displays a grey battery and constantly vibrates' issue

    time to do some googlin

    Chincymcchilla
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    So I suddenly find myself in need of a messenger bag or backpack that can reliably hold at 17" class laptop, preferrably TSA friendly. Has anyone had to solve this need recently and may have a suggestion?

    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Looks like the Timbuk2 Commute or Command in Large may be the ticket. I've had a Commute for about a decade and beaten the hell out of it, and only in the past year has it become minorly frayed in one spot.

  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    If you're gonna lug around a 17" laptop I'd rather use a backpack than a messenger bag. swiss gear is what I have and its durable and has tons of pockets for storage. I'm actually able to travel with two laptops in it if I had to

    B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
    Blackhawk1313
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I'm loving my TSA-friendly Swissgear backpack. It has nice broad straps and fits my big, heavy laptop well.

    tom_sig2.jpgYKjfRSx.png
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I had seen some Swissgear in searching. Looking at The North Face's Recon 2 right now, but I will check out Swissgear too!

    EDIT: I actually own and use a Timbuk2 messenger bag from like 8 years ago (still in amazing condition too), just that this Asus X750J is a fucking boat anchor.

    LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    You might consider looking at wheeled laptop bags as well, I was given one when I got a 17'' from a customer to use a few years back and it made the frequent airport trips on that job pretty easy (since I had to truck along my 15'' laptop as well)

    B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Is there any point in complaining to Time Warner about internet speed? I got upgraded for free from 25 Mbs to 100, but apart from the first day I don't think we've ever gone about 25.

    Well they promised you "up to 100mbps" so as long as you're getting less than 100 they are fulfilling their obligation to you, the customer!

    That's how it always works.

    Comcast/Xfinity has my speed cap at 50mbps but I'm always locked to a consistent 29. Now when a company starts giving you a minimum expected speed you'll have something to complain about.

  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    The closeness of Windows 10 is beginning to excite me

  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I'm ready!
    zwcfccj853np.jpg
    Future so bright!

    TankHammer on
    pimentoSlacker71
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    Any guidance on a new unlocked phone to buy that isn't too bad in cost? My Moto X is really beaten up at this point, so I'm looking to replace it. Looking for pure android, some level of burly phone as I'm abusive, and decent battery life.

    A Moto G maybe? Not as powerful as the X obviously, but it'll give you most of what the X does.

    I have a Moto G (1st gen, even). It had an issue with randomly powering off for a while there, but a reset fixed it. Otherwise it's been a solid phone! Nothing crazy, and since it's Motorola it's pretty "pure" Android.

    I think the 3rd gen comes out in a few months, although the Moto E 2nd gen is already out and is more or less right between the G and X in terms of performance and quality.

    I'd definitely recommend the Moto series to anybody, it's a solid phone, and the G is absolutely a very good, economy class phone.

    Tox on
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    Any guidance on a new unlocked phone to buy that isn't too bad in cost? My Moto X is really beaten up at this point, so I'm looking to replace it. Looking for pure android, some level of burly phone as I'm abusive, and decent battery life.

    A Moto G maybe? Not as powerful as the X obviously, but it'll give you most of what the X does.

    I have a Moto G (1st gen, even). It had an issue with randomly powering off for a while there, but a reset fixed it. Otherwise it's been a solid phone! Nothing crazy, and since it's Motorola it's pretty "pure" Android.

    I think the 3rd gen comes out in a few months, although the Moto E 2nd gen is already out and is more or less right between the G and X in terms of performance and quality.

    I'd definitely recommend the Moto series to anybody, it's a solid phone, and the G is absolutely a very good, economy class phone.

    Yeah, I've loved my X, so I'll probably just get the new G when it comes out, just hope my charge port doesn't die before then.

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm gonna try real hard to grab a Moto X when the 3rd gen comes out. Only thing is right now we have Verizon and their prepaid plan is hellsa cheaper than their 2-year contract plan and depending on the full retail cost of the X I might just say fuck it and buy it outright, but we'll see how that's looking ~end of the year.

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Tech thread I need suggestions

    A friend of mine had a really old PC of mine and it finally broke down on her.

    I fear most of it won't be salvageable and want to help her out on building new innards for the same case.

    So I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to play videogames on it but also they hook it to a TV so HDMI output would be ideal.

    But also the budget will end up probably being real tight since they weren't planning on building a new computer until this one broke.

  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Registered User regular
    I haven't done a build myself in a few years, but I think most of this still applies...

    - If budget is a big concern then going with AMD instead of intel is a good idea.
    - Since it sounds like it's just going to be for browsing and netflix or whatever then there's no need for a GPU.
    - Definitely don't need a full-size ATX motherboard, so mATX or ITX will help save costs too.
    - Depending on what broke and what you upgrade to, you can most likely still reuse the power supply and case. Should save around 50-100 that way.

  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    It occurs to me I have that old motherboard and phenom 2 x64 plus psu laying in the other room. Depending on what's salvageable from her computer I might be able to just put that stuff in her case (it is a nice case I had gotten years ago. Full tower all aluminum) and get it all running again. Though I have a feeling she needs a new hard drive mostly since her husband has her run some automatic scan program from iolo to keep that old disc (more than 5 years old at this point) working and I think it was really just stressing the drive more. At least hard drives are cheap. Might need to get some ddr2 as well.

  • webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    Hey folks, any recommendations for a mid range point and shoot camera? The one i have is a 7 year old Nikkon with 8.1 MP and 3x zoom and no other features.

    I mostly use my camera for outdoor shots during the day. I mostly want a good zoom, decent battery life and image stabilization.

    I'd prefer price if under $300

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.