As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SteamOS] Next-gen Master Race discussion

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Do any of the upcoming Steam Machines have upgradable hardware? It's be really nice if I could drop in a new GPU midway through ownership.

Also, the prospect of SteamOS is wonderful. PC Gaming is cool, but I'd rather not deal with Windows.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Of course I can't find the link where I read it, but the thing's now coming in November. A dozen hardware partners, though they weren't specified and the rigs weren't revealed. Supposedly some will still cost the same as the Xbox One/PS4, even with their recent price drops.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Steam Link for $50.

I knew this was coming. I could smell it a mile away. And everyone couldn't forsee a small device, like a Roku or Chromecast, for Steam streaming.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Valve mentioned the possibility of such a device the very first time they started talking about streaming.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    darren66 wrote: »
    Steam Link for $50.

I knew this was coming. I could smell it a mile away. And everyone couldn't forsee a small device, like a Roku or Chromecast, for Steam streaming.

Hey I hoped because it's exactly what I wanted but the $50 actually exceeds my expectations. I figured a $100 (though I know I'm going to end up paying that to get the controller too)

EDIT: Do we know how the Steam controller connects, yet? Wired or wireless? Bluetooth or wifi?

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    edited March 2015
    I'm pretty sure Valve mentioned the possibility of such a device the very first time they started talking about streaming.

No, because when I brought up my dreams for a small Steam streaming device everyone laughed at me.

Their original announcement was "The 3" - SteamOS, Steam Box and Steam Controller.

darren66 on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Steam Link for $50.

Hey I hoped because it's exactly what I wanted but the $50 actually exceeds my expectations. I figured a $100 (though I know I'm going to end up paying that to get the controller too)

EDIT: Do we know how the Steam controller connects, yet? Wired or wireless? Bluetooth or wifi?

I don't know, but I would hope it's both wireless and wired. That way I can keep mine plugged in because I like wired controllers but others can do the wireless thing and only plug it in to recharge the battery or whatever.

JtgVX0H.png
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

No, because when I brought up my dreams for a small Steam streaming device everyone laughed at me.

Their original announcement was "The 3" - SteamOS, Steam Box and Steam Controller.
    Maybe they didn't mention it explicitly, but you'd have to be blind not to see the potential. From the beginning, SteamOS seemed to be being marketed to two groups:

1) People who don't own a console, don't own a PC, wants to play PC games, and don't care about the overwhelming majority of games that don't support Linux.

2) PC gaming enthusiasts who want to play games on the couch.

I'd sooner try to find the Loch Ness Monster than a hundred people in group 1, and a large percentage of people in group 2 were always going to be asking the very serious question, "If I have to stream my Windows games anyway, then why the hell would I spend like $500 on a Linux computer when I could probably rig together some sort of remote desktop streaming setup for like fifty bucks?"

A cheapo streaming box is a much easier sell than a full-fledged Linux computer and will have a much easier time finding a market. This is so blindingly obvious that I have to wonder if Valve had Steam Link in their back pocket all along and that them actually releasing it might be a vote of no confidence in their original lofty ambitions. Especially with Windows Whatever The Next One Is Called probably not being the nightmarish dystopia one might have predicted based on 8.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    edited March 2015
    Wyvern wrote: »

Maybe they didn't mention it explicitly, but you'd have to be blind not to see the potential. From the beginning, SteamOS seemed to be being marketed to two groups:

1) People who don't own a console, don't own a PC, wants to play PC games, and don't care about the overwhelming majority of games that don't support Linux.

2) PC gaming enthusiasts who want to play games on the couch.

I'd sooner try to find the Loch Ness Monster than a hundred people in group 1, and a large percentage of people in group 2 were always going to be asking the very serious question, "If I have to stream my Windows games anyway, then why the hell would I spend like $500 on a Linux computer when I could probably rig together some sort of remote desktop streaming setup for like fifty bucks?"

A cheapo streaming box is a much easier sell than a full-fledged Linux computer and will have a much easier time finding a market. This is so blindingly obvious that I have to wonder if Valve had Steam Link in their back pocket all along and that them actually releasing it might be a vote of no confidence in their original lofty ambitions. Especially with Windows Whatever The Next One Is Called probably not being the nightmarish dystopia one might have predicted based on 8.

I've always suspected the initial motivation behind SteamOS/Steam Machines was "Gabe is pissed about Windows 8." Sounds like Valve has gotten genuinely into the whole couch streaming thing since then and came up with more possibilities -- I'm glad they didn't restrict Steam Link to Steam OS. Of all the bits of hardware Valve has announced, this thing is probably poised for the most success (assuming people aren't too weirded out by the controller).

Of course a lot of it also depends on how it works -- I've heard mixed things about Sony's Remote Play.

Just curious, are there any actually useable options for streaming PC gaming from inside your own house to a TV currently on the market?

cloudeagle on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    None that don't require hooking up some sort of second PC to your TV.

Definitely has potential then. Anyone know if the Link requires the Steam controller, or if any controller can be used? I can't find anything that specifies that.

edited March 2015
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Definitely has potential then. Anyone know if the Link requires the Steam controller, or if any controller can be used? I can't find anything that specifies that.

It has 3 USB ports. Presumably you can hook up whatever you want to that.

Dehumanized on

It has 3 USB ports. Presumably you can hook up whatever you want to that.

If so, that's genuinely awesome.

edited March 2015

Did anyone laugh at you here? Because, again, when they first announced Streaming, they mentioned in interviews that hardware manufacturers could make a cheap steam machine that you could stream to, likening it to a devices like a Rokia. It was a selling point of the stream technology; that you didn't necassarily need another big beefy machine on the other end because its video.

Edit: Here's Valve talking about the possibility back in January of 2014
    Coomer also says that "lower-spec boxes that are cheap, streaming-only devices" would be an "awesome" addition to the current lineup of Steam Machines. "There isn't a desire to delay that kind of device...it's kind of just development bandwidth that has kept us from doing that sooner. The ones that have been unveiled this week really are supposed to be, and are, devices that are quite powerful to run games natively under your TV."

Undead Scottsman on

Did anyone laugh at you here? Because, again, when they first announced Streaming, they mentioned in interviews that hardware manufacturers could make a cheap steam machine that you could stream to, likening it to a devices like a Rokia. It was a selling point of the stream technology; that you didn't necassarily need another big beefy machine on the other end because its video.

Edit: Here's Valve talking about the possibility back in January of 2014
    Coomer also says that "lower-spec boxes that are cheap, streaming-only devices" would be an "awesome" addition to the current lineup of Steam Machines. "There isn't a desire to delay that kind of device...it's kind of just development bandwidth that has kept us from doing that sooner. The ones that have been unveiled this week really are supposed to be, and are, devices that are quite powerful to run games natively under your TV."

To be fair, that detail could have been lost in the sheer ballsiness and wackiness of Steam Machines themselves, plus no one stepped up to do it until Valve did.

Plus the thing Valve came up with apparently doesn't require Steam OS.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    None of the Steam machines or streaming tech requires SteamOS, doe.

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    I really wish they had these machines out a lot earlier. I was all ready to get one instead of a PS4 when they announced them, but now I've a decent PC and a PS4 and justifying one is just about impossible. But hey, if they're still around then, I'll probably pick one up instead of a PS5 or what have you next round.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I'll wait...I'm currently rocking a R9 270 in a small case. If they can fit say...a GTX970 and keep the prices reasonable I might bite. The only thing that makes me consider a PS4 is the multiplayer aspect. Seems like I have no issues finding a DoTA/LoL/CS match but I'll be damned if try to look for a FIFA/COD/Dragon Age game.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    The first new Steam Machine! It's... not cheap.

It also comes with an Xbox One controller, which suggests Valve isn't forcing them to carry the Steam controller (and is kinda funny considering the anti-Microsoft roots of SteamOS).

edited March 2015
    My guess at Xbox controller is that the hardware partner got tired of Valve taking forever to ship the controller. Packing it into your Steam Machine is practically conceding that you have no fucking clue when you'll be able to ship.

Dehumanized on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Apparently Microsoft announced that a wireless solution for Xbox one controllers is in the works. Which is nice, because mine constantly looses connection to those microUSB ports. I've tried, like, five cables and eventually it starts slipping off juuuust so.

Latest numbers are 4339 "games" on Steam, with 872 of those being available on Linux, which is around 20%, an increase of 2% since September. Seems to be slowing down.

967 out of 4678=20.6%, which is up slightly from the 20.09% from earlier in the year.

Hopefully more people will jump on board with this once Valve rolls out more info at GDC this year.

1249 out of 5622 = 22.21%, up almost 2% from this February, likely due to the number of Steam Greenlight titles that are also linux compatible.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    While I am excited for the potential of the steam link, that tech had never worked well for me. I either suffer from laggy gameplay or crashes on the host computer.

Hopefully they get it all sorted out before release.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I've had good luck streaming to my HP Stream Mini, but it probably doesn't hurt that I've got a wired LAN running.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Some_tall_guySome_tall_guy Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I've had nothing but good experiences streaming Dark Souls 2 from my desktop (wired) to Surface Pro 3 (wireless N). However, last night I was trying to stream Cities Skylines and ran into issues. I'm 99% sure it had everything to do with my roommates playing smash 4 online (wireless N) at the time. I'm currently using a shitty wireless modem I was forced to purchase when I signed up for my internet service. Does anyone have any experience with a non dual band N router versus one of those new AC 1900mb ones while other people are using the network as well?

Some_tall_guy on
    LOL ZEALURKS
    Oh hey, they officially hit Nov. 10! Also the Steam Link thing too. The controller and Steam Link sell stand-alone for $50, while the cheapest Steam Machine is $449. Not quite as cheap as the PS4 and One, but pretty darn close. Not sure there's a breakdown of all the Steam Machines out there, but Polygon posted the various Alienware specs a while back.

Here's the weird part -- the exclusive non-online seller of the hardware is: Gamestop. Huh.

Not sure there's a breakdown of all the Steam Machines out there, but Polygon posted the various Alienware specs a while back.

Less than 1 month away from release, and the specs for the video cards are still "NVidia Geforce GTX". That really grinds my gears. I am assuming they are something like laptop grade GTX 960M or maybe even 860M? Why don't they say?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Either they have a customized GTX in there, they still haven't finalized it, or they haven't updated their website.

urahonky wrote: »
    Either they have a customized GTX in there, they still haven't finalized it, or they haven't updated their website.

Yes, but when it's 1 month away then they should know by now. I want to look at a unit subjectively, price per performance, but that's a huge chunk of info that's missing. I almost have the feeling they are holding it back knowingly because they are going to be worse performance cards than the ones I mentioned (like a GTX 920M).

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Yes, but when it's 1 month away then they should know by now. I want to look at a unit subjectively, price per performance, but that's a huge chunk of info that's missing. I almost have the feeling they are holding it back knowingly because they are going to be worse performance cards than the ones I mentioned (like a GTX 920M).

I'm in agreement. I'm suspecting it's the laptop video card (especially since they mentioned you cannot upgrade the graphics card).

Oh, man. Just realized the controllers go out to pre-orders in under two weeks.

Eeeeee

persona4celestia.jpg
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh, man. Just realized the controllers go out to pre-orders in under two weeks.

Eeeeee

Yesssssssss, it will be mine!

Also, they're not going to all pre-orders. They're just going to the early pre-orders.

JtgVX0H.png
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I've had nothing but good experiences streaming Dark Souls 2 from my desktop (wired) to Surface Pro 3 (wireless N). However, last night I was trying to stream Cities Skylines and ran into issues. I'm 99% sure it had everything to do with my roommates playing smash 4 online (wireless N) at the time. I'm currently using a shitty wireless modem I was forced to purchase when I signed up for my internet service. Does anyone have any experience with a non dual band N router versus one of those new AC 1900mb ones while other people are using the network as well?

There is an Asus router that is much more like professional gear than the usual crap home gear.

ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB45SI4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_GMXewbZ6VPT04

You do pay for it though.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    Impressions are going up all over the place. They seem to be pretty mixed on the balance, especially with the controller.

I got my controller today and got about 5 minutes to mess with it before I had to leave for work. It feels nice and I like the haptic feedback. Gonna take some getting used to the face button placement but otherwise I like it so far.

JtgVX0H.png
    Yeah, I havn't had a chance to really mess with mine yet, but I like it so far. It's really going to come down to configurations for specific games and getting used to it since it's got a bit of a learning curve.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Yeah, I havn't had a chance to really mess with mine yet, but I like it so far. It's really going to come down to configurations for specific games and getting used to it since it's got a bit of a learning curve.

Configuration really is the key, I'm hoping with time we get to see what popular configurations emerge.

This video impressed me with how effectively he was controlling an RTS with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Cs-ThG3Ck

subedii on
    Latest numbers are 4339 "games" on Steam, with 872 of those being available on Linux, which is around 20%, an increase of 2% since September. Seems to be slowing down.

967 out of 4678=20.6%, which is up slightly from the 20.09% from earlier in the year.

Hopefully more people will jump on board with this once Valve rolls out more info at GDC this year.

1249 out of 5622 = 22.21%, up almost 2% from this February, likely due to the number of Steam Greenlight titles that are also linux compatible.

Figured it was time for an update now that these things are out. 1566 out of 6807 titles are Linux compatible, making it about 23% even, so only an .8% jump since June. I wonder if these things being out will jumpstart the numbers, or if we're seeing it slow to a near stop.

Oh, hey, more controller options in today's Steam Beta build.

Steam Controller:
    Added a new trackpad mode, Mouse Joystick. This is an alternate way of emulating mouse-style controls for games that disable mouse input when using a gamepad. For best results, we recommend increasing the gamepad camera sensitivity/speed in the game settings.

Added a new trackpad mode, Touch Menu. This mode is useful to bind many infrequently-used hotkeys to a single trackpad. The Big Picture in-game overlay has to be enabled for this feature to work.

persona4celestia.jpg