As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy]: Spoony Bard vs. Meteor Sage edition

silence1186silence1186 Character shields down!As a wingmanRegistered User regular
edited September 2015 in Games and Technology
This is the thread for talking about Square Enix's flagship series, Final Fantasy, originally released in 1987. For a while they decided they didn't like releasing new games, and kept porting old games to new platforms, but things are looking up. But before we get to that,

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

MAIN SERIES

They've made FOURTEEN main series games and over fifty spin off titles. Here's what the fans says about them.
I love Final Fantasy because you have to start somewhere.
I love Final Fantasy II because I like hitting myself for stat ups.
I love Final Fantasy III because it allowed me to stop being a hippy and get a job for the first time.
I love Final Fantasy IV because I don't have enough versions of it yet.
I love Final Fantasy V because I can play it for charity.
I hate Final Fantasy VI because I'm a soulless monster without any redeeming qualities.
I love Final Fantasy VII because it's getting remade, naturally.
I love Final Fantasy VIII because I'm a Triple Triad cardshark. There was a fun minigame about saving the world included too.
I love Final Fantasy IX because "Steiner, please, look behind you!"
I love Final Fantasy X because the HD version is out.
I love Final Fantasy XI because it keeps Square Enix in business.
I love Final Fantasy XII because I'm Captain Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmascaa.
I love Final Fantasy XIII because I can't get enough Lightning.
I love Final Fantasy XIV because Heavensward!

SPIN OFFS

Every time profits are down SE makes some more FF games. There are a lot of them, too many to list them all so I'll just continue the theme with the more popular ones.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics because I love grid based movement.
I hate Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles because I have no friends.
I hate Final Fantasy Mystic Quest because it's too easy and I don't like having fun.
I love Final Fantasy X-2 because it really is the ultimate expression of both ATB and the Job system. Also I understand math so Sphere Breaker ain't shit.
I love Dissidia because it's included in its entirety in its sequel.
I love FF XIII-2 because monsters are great at parties.
I love Crisis Core because I need to get practice for Type-0 in.
I love Theatrhythm because Square Enix has the best music.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance because just one more turn.
I love Dissidia Duodecim 012 Final Fantasy because you can settle which Final Fantasy is best for all time with your fists.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 because more of the same is exactly what you need when the same is fantastic.
I love Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns because it was either this or no new games at all.
I love Final Fantasy Dimensions because I love Final Fantasy V.
I love Final Fantasy Record Keepers because I can play it in quick enjoyable bursts and then put it down. (Just in case)

WHICH VERSION IS BEST?

There's a version of almost everything for almost everything these days. However, avoid the PSX version of FF5 unless it's your only option.

THE PRESENT

Square Enix has managed to get their shit together long enough that they've started releasing new content

FF Type-0: Was Final Fantasy 13 Agito, changed to Final Fantasy Type-0, and came out on the PSP in Japan only. Fans clamored for this one for a long time, and finally the West is getting a localization... as an HD version for consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bedq4m8a_8U

Update: They also fixed the nausea inducing camera blur, so if that was holding you back, give it another shot!

It came out, and it's pretty sweet. I highly recommend picking it up. It's an Action-RPG with a new and interesting story (and direction) for the Final Fantasy series. Also, day 1 copies of the game come with a demo for...

FF 13 Versus: Wait, no, some things happened, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3xKbPooKAo

It's now FF XV. It still doesn't exist, but we got a playble trailer, and by metrics it kicks ass. It's reinvigorated interest in this game, which is impressive since it was announced at the end of the Ps2 life cycle. So it MAY actually come out at this point. Look for more info at E3, hopefully.

Update: The FF XV demo was patched with additional content, so if you've played it, give it another go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g9c1ZyYSok

Final Fantasy Record Keeper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzZBi8YvOpc

Is actually a pretty fun moblie free-to-play game for iOS and Android. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a HUGE improvement over such duds as All The Bravest. It's a walk down memory lane with a simple ATB style combat system with a surprising amount of depth and strategy. There is a new event every week, featuring your favorite characters and stages from Final Fantasy history, so it never gets old, and it IS free to try, so give it a shot if you have some time to spare. Just don't give them any of your money.

Strategy site for FFRK
FFRK subreddit (tons of good info)
Item comparison site

Update: They recently added a friend summon system. PM me your code if you want to be added to the OP list

THE FUTURE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kznek1uNVsg

I've had a little time to process this, so no more yelling is required, but yes, the long awaited, long asked for remake of Final Fantasy VII has been confirmed. Of all the times Square Enix has asked us to be excited, now would be the opportune moment.

Some FF7 remake (FF7r) rumors courtesy of Professor Snugglesworth
Confirmed
-Will not be a 1:1 remake, will have story deviations

-"New story scenario" written by Nojima

-Development started in 2012, in-game assets beyond CG trailer exist

-Will retain some of the classic "humorous" elements; Cloud's dress is in

-Battle system will not be the same

Rumored:

-Will run on Unreal Engine

-CyberConnect assisting with development

-Console exclusivity currently in talks, may never come out on XBox One

-Aiming for T rating

-Next major update this Winter

-Original game will get new translation

Also if you want a quick laugh search Youtube for "FF7 remake reactions." There are some choice ones out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_No3HEjvLrw

Final Fantasy in bite-sized form. What exactly this is remains unclear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK-3vmgXyok

There is a new Dissidia coming out. It will be available in Japan in arcades for about a year, and then they're planning on porting it to console to tap other markets (such as the West). Expect it maybe in 2017.

KINGDOM HEARTS

Is vaguely related to Final Fantasy, but has its own thread here.

BRAVELY DEFAULT

Is everything you might want in a Final Fantasy, and you can talk about it here.

FF5 FOUR JOB FIESTA
Do you have what it takes to play what is quite simply the most fun and addicting alternate game mode of any RPG ever? Do you want to help out sick children by raising money for the greatest charity in the world? Do you want to watch RK sleepily make his way through Neo-Exdeath with quite a sub standard party? If this sounds even remotely interesting well then, do I have a website for you.

The deal is you get four jobs from the normal set of 20+ and you can only use skills from those four. As you gain new job sets one job is randomly assigned to you and each assigned job must be equipped at all times on at least one party member. You get the wind job, you get four of those, you get the water job, your party must be made up at least one from your water job and one from your wind job and so on. There are variations

http://fourjobfiesta.com/

What do you need to start playing?

1. A copy of FF5. PSN version is cheapest and worst. SFC version is pretty cheap but in Japanese, GBA version is best but expensive, iOS version is a lot cheaper than that but has the issues standard with playing a game on iOS (easy screencaps though!)

2. A twitter account. Yeah I hate twitter too but I made some dummy accounts just for this.

3.Then all you do is sign up at the website (with any of the optional run ideas) and you can play from whenever RK beats the game until the end of August!

Where does the charity come in you say? Well, you can either pledge money to change whatever jobs RK is assigned for his inaugural run (1 dollar=1 extra vote for a job!) or you can pledge money for doing various deeds. If you can't donate money you'll notice that you can still earn money from other people's pledges by completing their goals (usually beating the game with a certain class, beating the two optional bosses,etc.) It's just like getting sponsors for a 10k back in school! You play, everyone wins.

Credit to @xenogears of bore for cannibalizing most of his OPs.

silence1186 on

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I know it has its own thread in the MMO section, but I've been diving into FFXIV again (now on PS4) with the launch of early access Heavensward, and I really think this is the perfect thing to fill the void of no new "proper" FF games to play right now. I'm still so amped up about FF7R that I'm very much in a Final Fantasy mood.

I still don't quite get why the PS4 version of FF7 Steam isn't out yet. Did they elaborate at E3 why it was delayed to Winter?

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So they can release it the next time they release details about the remake, is my guess.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Geth, kick @chocobolicious from the thread

YL9WnCY.png
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Bobkins Flymo. @chocobolicious banned from this thread.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    KZsWRvH.png?2

YL9WnCY.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular

The run is getting interesting. Grind early or grind later. Grind later had the lead for a long time but Grind early is coming on strong.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    How much harder will it make the run if they have to unlock all 12 weapons in the shrine?

It doesn't take long really. This party can beat Omni pretty easily. Berserk him with the power staff, try and old him with the Ancient sword, kill him with sword dances while taking turns resurrecting your two mans.

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Since Heavensward came out, I've been neglecting my RK. Need to make sure I snag Garnet before it goes away.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    The next challenge event has been announced and the feature is: Squall! Be sure to get him, he's pretty good. I wonder if they're just skipping Cloud's boss rush event, or rolling it into a later event. I should be able to finish the classic dungeons tomorrow, but the elites are like 1600 stamina, minus the 5 refreshes you get along the way.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    (pinches cheek)

Yep, FFVII Remake is still real.

Between that, Heavensward, and the promising future of World of Final Fantasy and (still hopefully) FFXV, is it safe to say Final Fantasy is good again?

Well....

It's getting there.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Awesome. Just unlocked Garnet. Let's see what her stuff is.

4-star White Magic: Good enough for Curaga.
    5-star Summon: Would be good if I ever wanted to use Summons, but Dia just lasts longer. Good if I want Kirin and put her on Retaliate duty, though.
    2-star Support: Boost is always nice, but I have Tidus for that.

Soul Break: Wait what?

Her Soul Break boosts everyone's ATK? For 1 bar? Wow, how does hat compare to Bard's attack boost? Becausee that is just straight-up bette in every way, if the amount of attack boost is comparable.

• BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

5-star Summon: Would be good if I ever wanted to use Summons, but Dia just lasts longer. Good if I want Kirin and put her on Retaliate duty, though.

Her Soul Break boosts everyone's ATK? For 1 bar? Wow, how does hat compare to Bard's attack boost? Becausee that is just straight-up bette in every way, if the amount of attack boost is comparable.
    Apparently Garnet's SB boosts attack by 15%, while the Bard's second SB boosts it by 40%. No idea how long each one lasts, though. It's a bit lackluster...especially since melee attackers are starting to fall behind.

But don't discount summoning! Summons have two big things going for them: they (typically) hit hard, and they're (typically) AoE. There's also the utility factor. Right now I'm running with R2 Phoenix, which is nice for obvious reasons. Apparently Carbuncle is very useful in some later fights, as well.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Approximately how long of a game is FFV? People replay it like all the time for the Job Fiesta, so I'm just assuming that it's on the shorter side?

I've never finished it before. My very first playthrough is barely under way right now. I'm working on finding the wyvern so that it can fly me to the water temple.

20-30 hours for a first time is fair. You can do it in much less, or much more. Plus a decent amount of post game content on the GBA/Mobile versions.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    So. I decided to play FFVII again. People were talking about the translation and if it were clear that AVALANCHE had caused civilian casualties or not. It's not mentioned directly by the news, but an NPC out in sector 7 who had been watching it, and they say pretty matter of factly that there were civilian casualties. Though I guess you can still take that with a grain of salt since it was just some random shmuck on the street saying it, but it is more than just hinted out.

Also I'm just mocking the textures now. This game was not meant to be played in 1920X1080 resolution. It's backgrounds and textures do not face up to such scrutiny.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »
    So. I decided to play FFVII again. People were talking about the translation and if it were clear that AVALANCHE had caused civilian casualties or not. It's not mentioned directly by the news, but an NPC out in sector 7 who had been watching it, and they say pretty matter of factly that there were civilian casualties. Though I guess you can still take that with a grain of salt since it was just some random shmuck on the street saying it, but it is more than just hinted out.

Also I'm just mocking the textures now. This game was not meant to be played in 1920X1080 resolution. It's backgrounds and textures do not face up to such scrutiny.

Cait Sith still brings up civilian casualties in Disc 2.

Either way it's pretty objective that AVALANCHE has caused civilian death with their actions.

Or we could wait for the new translation for a more definitive answer.

Time Mage is my Wind Job.

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Geomancer is my Wind Job.

...Okay, now what? All freelancer until I get a job I can use, I assume?

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Jesse mentions a loss of life due to AVALANCHE just before the plate drops.

First job is black mage. That's much better than I usually get.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Dammit Squall event incoming, sitll haven't done all the new classic dungeons...question. What the hell is Fran and Irvine? Casters? Ranged? Support?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Butts is a Knight

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular

Either way it's pretty objective that AVALANCHE has caused civilian death with their actions.

When you find Jessie injured on the pillar, she straight up says that a lot of people died because of AVALANCHE and that this must be their punishment.

Also, I'm at the Shinra HQ part. I forgot that Tifa calls Barret a retard when they're climbing up the stairs. Probably another one to be changed in the re-translation...

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    Billmaan wrote: »

Apparently Garnet's SB boosts attack by 15%, while the Bard's second SB boosts it by 40%. No idea how long each one lasts, though. It's a bit lackluster...especially since melee attackers are starting to fall behind.

But don't discount summoning! Summons have two big things going for them: they (typically) hit hard, and they're (typically) AoE. There's also the utility factor. Right now I'm running with R2 Phoenix, which is nice for obvious reasons. Apparently Carbuncle is very useful in some later fights, as well.

I'll see how that works. I get the feeling that using Summoning absolutely requires Summoner's Record Materia, though.

You say Garnet's SB is lackluster. Would you say Lenna's (Mass Regen) is the better one to use, then?

Do you need to master all of the Garnet event missions to get the boss rush?

Gilgabot has decreed that I am taking berserker risk...even though I didn't sign up for that.

This marks every year I've participated that I've gotten berserker. Only one of them has been berserker risk.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Reznik wrote: »

When you find Jessie injured on the pillar, she straight up says that a lot of people died because of AVALANCHE and that this must be their punishment.

Also, I'm at the Shinra HQ part. I forgot that Tifa calls Barret a retard when they're climbing up the stairs. Probably another one to be changed in the re-translation...

It was funny for how out-of-character it was.

But you could change it to "dumbass" and have the same effect.

Hot Takes on the Fiesta

General: Chaos means your jobs are from any crystal. Use freelancer until you unlock said job. Could get nasty if you have a berserker+two jobs that are post library, but four berserkers on the Sand Worm isn't THAT bad. Natural is a boring way to play most of the time. 750 is easy, though HP is a concern and while it's easy it can actually be sort of difficult for real rookies. No 750 though...is a bit harder! Classic is fun.

Jobs:

Freelancer: Now a real concern because of Chaos and a semi concern because of Natural, this job nonetheless is for real. Use equipment to your hearts content though some people think items like the Ribbon/Katana/Heal Staff go too far, that still leaves you with swords, shields, lances, bows, axes!!!

Knight: Very simple. Might not want to run if you get knight because of the Brave Blade, but if you get another class that really does well with the chicken knife you can settle with the Excalibur. Shields, Heavy Armor, a slow way to heal with Flametongue and Flame Rings, yeah. Pretty much the best set of equipment outside of Freelancer.

White Mage/Black Mage: Buffs and Healing or Damage..and healing? Very simple to use like the Knight. Don't sleep on Protect and especially Shell on the White Mage, Black Mages should always use the right elemental wand for extra damage. Fire spells+flame rings is an expensive but very viable healing method for world 2.

Blue Mage: Just find a list of what to get. Crazy good equipment with light swords and shields. None of the spells are that hard to get, many are broken beyond belief in your favor, and you look like a super hero.

Monk: Counter, high HP, many crits. Awful equipment, don't scale that well, but if you get something like Dancer with them you're in business. Absolutely destroys the first world.

Thief: Steal. Mug. Power up Chicken Knife. Never get back attacked. So good. Starts off pretty weakly though. Even White Mages can wreck shit all day on the ship graveyard.

Those are the common starting jobs. I'll be back tomorrow with the next set.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Got the Black mage for my first job.
    Going to miss the blue magic from my practice run. Also going to miss shields and swords.

Aaaah. Tommorow I begin my fiesta in earnest. With black mage comes an important grinding session. 200 grand for absorb rings. My wizard will ascend to the heights of holyman. PURGE THE HURT FROM THE BODY WITH PURIFYING FLAMES!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Monk and Red Mage so far. Super strong set for the beginning at least.

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I have Knight, Red Mage, Beastmaster and Dragoon.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
    edited June 2015
    Billmaan wrote: »

I'll see how that works. I get the feeling that using Summoning absolutely requires Summoner's Record Materia, though.

You say Garnet's SB is lackluster. Would you say Lenna's (Mass Regen) is the better one to use, then?

Do you need to master all of the Garnet event missions to get the boss rush?

You need to master (pretty sure it's just clear) all ten elite stages to get the boss rush.

silence1186 on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Dammit Squall event incoming, sitll haven't done all the new classic dungeons...question. What the hell is Fran and Irvine? Casters? Ranged? Support?

Irvine is support.
    5*Support, 3*Combat, 2*White Magic, 1*Black Magic

Edit: I managed to master the FFX and FFIX boss rushes. Valefore and Carbuncle are pretty awesome.

Invisible on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Wait... Fran and Irving are already in the game? Attached to story missions I'm guessing?

Yeah...Fran is supposed to be a mage? Game keeps optimizing her for melee damage.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Yeah...Fran is supposed to be a mage? Game keeps optimizing her for melee damage.

Optimize is screwy like that. It apparently decides what each character should be built for and works from there. I never use it for Terra, for example.

edited June 2015
    BTW PS4 PC port of FF7 is coming out on October 16th. 16.99$ price tag.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/06/final-fantasy-vii-pc-port-for-ps4-releasing-in-october/

lionheart_m on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »

It was funny for how out-of-character it was.

But you could change it to "dumbass" and have the same effect.

It kinda worked for me as one of those so-frustrated-you-blurt-shit-out-without-thinking moments. 'cause to be fair, Barret WAS whining constantly.

But yeah. Dumbass would work.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...

I think she's technically classified as a bow user. So they'll equip her for physical damage, but defensively like she's in the back row. Wakka has the same problem. It's especially bad if your best weapon for him/her is a dagger, since then they'll put him/her in the front row, but likely equip a hat or something equally likely to get him/her killed in the front row.

This discussion has been closed.