As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ghosts of Electric [chat]

knitdanknitdan In ur baseKillin ur guysRegistered User regular
edited June 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
I Sing the Body Electric
BY WALT WHITMAN
I sing the body electric,
The armies of those I love engirth me and I engirth them,
They will not let me off till I go with them, respond to them,
And discorrupt them, and charge them full with the charge of the soul.

2erinr92zcfx.jpg

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
-Indiana Solo, runner of blades
knitdan on

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    My favorite DUE streaming line of the night so far:

"Right now I'm just a nude man throwing fire at people."

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Oh god I am playing Salty Bet again.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    @Apothe0sis iTunes music doesn't have DRM

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    @Apothe0sis iTunes music doesn't have DRM
    It doesn't now.

It did at first upon the insistence of the recording industry, who grew to resent itunes anyway.

It was removed some years later and the recording industry appear to have given up any pretensions of starting an alternative service.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    @knitdan, that image isn't in the body of the post

I am disappoint

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    so the first game session of the new RPG campaign I started up went pretty well even though it was mostly prologue and set-up

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Truth be told, streaming services are the best DRM possible. All your music can blow up in a month if you don't pay your bill, all the offline tracks need to phone home occasionally to confirm you have the continued right to listen... If streaming supplants DRM free downloads we are right back to where we were when iTunes first launched, at least with regards to portability of content.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yeah I don't know why it didn't work.

2erinr92zcfx.jpg
    make it so

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    syndalis wrote: »
    Truth be told, streaming services are the best DRM possible. All your music can blow up in a month if you don't pay your bill, all the offline tracks need to phone home occasionally to confirm you have the continued right to listen... If streaming supplants DRM free downloads we are right back to where we were when iTunes first launched, at least with regards to portability of content.

But without the risk of lock-in to a platform the industry doesn't like, since customers don't actually own anything.

Donkey Kong on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    And by best I mean most restrictive, just to be clear.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I always wonder at the ability of streaming to supplant other things on mobile networks other places where data caps are a thing (like alot of places outside the US).

In all, congrats consumers, you certainly did a great job following the trail of candy leading under the box propped up by a stick.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Thanks Apothe0sis.

shryke wrote: »

I always wonder at the ability of streaming to supplant other things on mobile networks other places where data caps are a thing (like alot of places outside the US).

At least with Apple music, you can, while on WiFi take entire albums and playlists and download them to your iPhone for offline listening.

Your bandwidth doesn't need to be impacted at all if you are intelligent in your playlist building.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »

My favorite moment right now is he's had four "ok, this is the last time" yet he keeps hitting continue.

emnmnme wrote: »

My favorite moment right now is he's had four "ok, this is the last time" yet he keeps hitting continue.

He was done 20 minutes ago, the vodka's the one who's not done yet.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

At least with Apple music, you can, while on WiFi take entire albums and playlists and download them to your iPhone for offline listening.

Your bandwidth doesn't need to be impacted at all if you are intelligent in your playlist building.

Uck fapple.

In all, congrats consumers, you certainly did a great job following the trail of candy leading under the box propped up by a stick.

I have many many thousands of songs ripped off of hundreds of CDs I still have in a box somewhere that is my music. I have deleted nothing, no matter how embarrassing.

I will probably use streaming services like Apple Music moving forward, but if I hear something I love / need in my life I am going to buy it and add it to the real library.

SW-4158-3990-6116

But without the risk of lock-in to a platform the industry doesn't like, since customers don't actually own anything.

exceeeept that Apple is aiming at locking up the streaming industry just like it did the mp3 industry. If everyone or most artists/rights holders pull out of spotify or rdio or whatever in favour of the greener pastures of Apple Music over time there are fewer and fewer viable competitors. Or spotify et al have to start offering equally lucrative deals for artists which they may or may not be able to afford.

If it all goes according to keikaku then they will be the only viable option, for a main-line streaming service.

that is a pretty stronk differentiator

Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Truth be told, streaming services are the best DRM possible. All your music can blow up in a month if you don't pay your bill, all the offline tracks need to phone home occasionally to confirm you have the continued right to listen... If streaming supplants DRM free downloads we are right back to where we were when iTunes first launched, at least with You're Welcome with regards to portability of content.

exceeeept that Apple is aiming at locking up the streaming industry just like it did the mp3 industry. If everyone or most artists/rights holders pull out of spotify or rdio or whatever in favour of the greener pastures of Apple Music over time there are fewer and fewer viable competitors. Or spotify et al have to start offering equally lucrative deals for artists which they may or may not be able to afford.

If it all goes according to keikaku then they will be the only viable option, for a main-line streaming service.

It also works on windows machines, and there is an android client inbound.

They intend to be everywhere

SW-4158-3990-6116
    DUE, I feel that I should point out that there was a Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for the SNES.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh yay. There's a chance that our insurance wont cover this.

Excuse me while I go check to see if they missed our $100 bottle of tequila.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    guh

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2015

That's just market pricing in action though. If consumers are willing to pay more, that correction should take place. Spotify et al will need to adjust their models as well. They can. If consumers are not willing to pay more, Apple's service will fail or have to adjust pricing. Then ultimately, if Apple can't make that business profitable and props it up with hardware sales, they'll get smacked with monopoly charges and forced to spin it off.

Donkey Kong on
    guh.

i had fun though. i may try again tomorrow. my body is weak at the moment. if you guys have suggestions for games let me know and i'll try again tomorrow night.

steam_sig.png
    Mortious wrote: »
    Excuse me while I go check to see if they missed our $100 bottle of tequila.

<_<

>_>

DUE, I feel that I should point out that there was a Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for the SNES.

. . .are there birds.

steam_sig.png

Why stream at all at that point.

That's just market pricing in action though. If consumers are willing to pay more, that correction should take place. If they are not willing to pay more, Apple's service will fail or have to adjust pricing. Then ultimately, if Apple can't make that business profitable and props it up with hardware sales, they'll get smacked with monopoly charges and forced to spin it off.

Their price is the same price as the paid tier of spotify/rdio. They aren't overcharging.

Actually, they tried rolling it out at 7.99 and the major labels rejected it because they are fucking dinosaurs.

SW-4158-3990-6116

. . .are there birds.

Birds and other winged things, yes!

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Dehydration is so annoying.

edited June 2015

Because you can? And the downloads are tied to your monthly membership, so you have to phone home occasionally (after the month is up) to prove you have the right to listen to your offline stuff.

Edit: like, sometimes it is nice to learn about a song, and then listen to the song seconds after.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited June 2015

. . .are there birds.

Birds and other winged things, yes!

as long as i'm nude. i'm in.

(fire optional)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png

That's just market pricing in action though. If consumers are willing to pay more, that correction should take place. If they are not willing to pay more, Apple's service will fail or have to adjust pricing. Then ultimately, if Apple can't make that business profitable and props it up with hardware sales, they'll get smacked with monopoly charges and forced to spin it off.

I think Apple are gambling on much larger uptake per capita given people do whatever Apple tells them to do, and enjoying the greater efficiencies of an economy of scale - it's a lot easier to deal with a 15% cut of a billion dollars than 12 million or whatever plus it feeds into other Apple buy in even if it is not strictly required.

edited June 2015

Their price is the same price as the paid tier of spotify/rdio. They aren't overcharging.

Actually, they tried rolling it out at 7.99 and the major labels rejected it because they are fucking dinosaurs.

So just a bigger cut goes to labels? I wonder if Apple is making a profit because this service, like all their online services, will be backed by all the computing power of an elementary school science fair potato battery.

Donkey Kong on
    edited June 2015

Because you can? And the downloads are tied to your monthly membership, so you have to phone home occasionally (after the month is up) to prove you have the right to listen to your offline stuff.

Edit: like, sometimes it is nice to learn about a song, and then listen to the song seconds after.

Considering the speed of an MP3 download, I could be deliberately silly here and ask whether you were agreeing with me or not. :P

shryke on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    are there any features apple music has that spotify premium doesn't?

I think Apple are gambling on much larger uptake per capita given people do whatever Apple tells them to do, and enjoying the greater efficiencies of an economy of scale - it's a lot easier to deal with a 15% cut of a billion dollars than 12 million or whatever plus it feeds into other Apple buy in even if it is not strictly required.

Yeah, I suspect they are counting on locking in the iPhone crowd via "It's Apple so it's already there and you already buy everything Apple anyway" and using that base to gain substantial leverage in the market.

This discussion has been closed.