As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Devil May Cry 5 Announced: MY GRANDFATHER IS TOO POWERFUL

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    angelo credo is a kewl boss tho

obF2Wuw.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I see your double credo and raise you double dante.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH7N1WPvyI8

Same guy again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--nZMrHPB0

At the end of this one he no damages a GMD dante with some of the most beautiful technical play I've ever seen.

Starts at 3:40.

It's fucking insane.
    He juggles him forever.

Btw just because I love you here's that guy with the dmc3 style switching mod vs DMD Vergil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HntT81eDYKw

cos he really is the best fucking boss ever
    the only boss i like more is probably devil hand

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, popping Quicksilver to take out his summon swords :o

Oh brilliant
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    His taunt at 2:00 is gorgeous.
    Vergil throws his sword, he prop shredders it to send it back to vergil, then throws his sword at vergil, and taunts him.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Watching DMC expert players is probably what casuals at chess feel like when they watch masters play. It's just, an entirely different scale of skill.

It has begun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKKYbar7wgo

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited June 2015
    Really neat fact.
    Masters are faster at speed chess than novices. As in they make judgements quicker, a lot quicker.
    You'd think that having all that strategy would make them slower, because they have a lot to think about, lots of potential moves.
    Nope, they're masters because they've been playing long enough that all that complexity gets processed like that *snaps fingers*

Action game combo videos are basically the same thing.

Morninglord on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Hypothetical question, when Dante, Bayonetta, and Gene all walk into a bar at the same time, how long does it remain intact?

What are you talking about.
    They walk away from the exploding bar of course.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I see your double credo and raise you double dante.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH7N1WPvyI8

Same guy again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--nZMrHPB0

At the end of this one he no damages a GMD dante with some of the most beautiful technical play I've ever seen.

Starts at 3:40.

It's fucking insane.
    He juggles him forever.

Btw just because I love you here's that guy with the dmc3 style switching mod vs DMD Vergil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HntT81eDYKw

cos he really is the best fucking boss ever
    the only boss i like more is probably devil hand

I forgot how much Vergil is in Devil Trigger in that fight in DMD. The white hot anger I got from doing that fight the first time must be blurring my memory.

This was always a favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOyEp6cyiM0

The laser hallway sequence at 7 minutes is fucking incredible. The way the music syncs up, and how he switches styles just to get a colourful flash every few seconds is nuts.

Oh brilliant
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Goddam that was great.

I wish I could find that video I showed you a while back @Monger
    I've completely forgotten its name. It was the one with the really creative and interesting combos like the one where he completely juggles an enemy while standing on top of one of those pillars in the snowy area and even catching it in a million stab.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Watching DMC expert players is probably what casuals at chess feel like when they watch masters play. It's just, an entirely different scale of skill.

It has begun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKKYbar7wgo

You know what's the best thing about this video?

THEY STOLE SOME OF THE COOL VERGIL SHIT FROM DmC.

FUCK YES.

My copy arrived from Japan EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D

Oh brilliant
    YO THIS IS REAL FUCKING GOOD

So the level of English friendliness is at about an 8 on 10. If like me you want a physical copy but don't speak any Japanese; the menu options are all in English, you have English voice in the options. When you go into the shop, all the moves have their English names, but their descriptions are in Japanese. The tutorial boxes and menu descriptions are all in Japanese, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change that. Subtitles too - JP only, far as I can see (I have Voice set to English, but the subs are still Japanese)

Nice thing about the tutorial boxes tho - they list the imputs and have a short lil' video (I forgot DMC4 did this!) so even without the description it does a good job tutorialising you.

Vergil has his own tutorial version of the opening Dante fight, presume Lady and Trish do too.

Game starts with all characters, each with one alt costume and 3 difficulty options open; Human, Devil Hunter and Legendary Dark Knight (which I believe is Devil Hunter + Enemies?)

Also Bayonetta seems to have erased all my DMC knowledge cause holy shit is this hard.

Oh brilliant
    edited June 2015
    jump is avoid remember
    jump at the last second
    don't try to fiddle around with lock on and roll

if you need emergency evasion just jump

straight up in the air

it'll come back to you

Morninglord on
    On Mission 11, almost Dante time! :O

Noticed that the Secret Mission I'd completed as Vergil was still done as Nero, so I guess Blue Orbs (and probably Proud Souls/Red Orbs!) accumulate across all characters. Less unlocking to do, so positives/negatives there. Might've felt grindy to do it all as everyone.

I am curious tho, since Vergil (and probably Lady?) has access to Nero's Secret Missions, how would he do the ones that are Buster related? There's one where ya gotta do 5 Air Busters consecutively, how's that work?

Oh brilliant
    Are you asking people who don't have the game yet?
    You tell us!

I've been avoiding Vergil since he's balls hard to play ;P

But I got to the Dante half of the Nero story and man, I thought I was bad with Nero. :I

Oh brilliant
    edited June 2015
    Well you don't have upgrades right? DMC games aren't designed for doing well first time. You are just meant to survive.
    I expect to suck without all the op shit I rely on. I'll go to do shit that doesn't exist and be like fuck. Splat.
    I've memorised anything for dante and nero through sheer repetition, just tell me the command input and I'll tell you what it does. If you forget.

Morninglord on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    On Mission 11, almost Dante time! :O

Noticed that the Secret Mission I'd completed as Vergil was still done as Nero, so I guess Blue Orbs (and probably Proud Souls/Red Orbs!) accumulate across all characters. Less unlocking to do, so positives/negatives there. Might've felt grindy to do it all as everyone.

I am curious tho, since Vergil (and probably Lady?) has access to Nero's Secret Missions, how would he do the ones that are Buster related? There's one where ya gotta do 5 Air Busters consecutively, how's that work?

You gotta do it as Nero. There's a Secret Mission in the first jungle level that requires Royal Guard, you can access it as Nero but can't win, so same principle applies.

I've been avoiding Vergil since he's balls hard to play ;P

But I got to the Dante half of the Nero story and man, I thought I was bad with Nero. :I

dantes easy

first, put down the controller and use a keyboard

second, become the god

ps my strategy of playing dmc3 with the keyboard paid off bigtime in dmc4 aww yisss

obF2Wuw.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So the level of English friendliness is at about an 8 on 10. If like me you want a physical copy but don't speak any Japanese; the menu options are all in English, you have English voice in the options. When you go into the shop, all the moves have their English names, but their descriptions are in Japanese. The tutorial boxes and menu descriptions are all in Japanese, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change that. Subtitles too - JP only, far as I can see (I have Voice set to English, but the subs are still Japanese)

So wait, you imported the japanese version?

Because according to the play-asia website and neogaf, the asian versionof the game is completely english.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    DeMoN wrote: »

Because according to the play-asia website and neogaf, the asian versionof the game is completely english.

There's usually two asian versions. Hong Kong and Japanese. Hong Kong version is usually completely english because that is the default language there.

Well I just spent an hour playing as Vergil

I've learned that I'm not good at DMC anymore and it's kind of breaking my heart. It just feels so different compared to what platinum has been putting out the last few years, it's not easy going back.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Just

just give Devil May Cry to Kamiya

just do it

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited June 2015
    DeMoN wrote: »

There's usually two asian versions. Hong Kong and Japanese. Hong Kong version is usually completely english because that is the default language there.

Yeah, I missed this and got the Japanese one, which is only mostly in English.

This did lead to some moments where I just get completely fucking lost in the forest cause I couldn't read the flavour text and didn't remember what I was supposed to do. :P

Ed; so I can Exceed much more consistently than I could originally. But I know he's basically 'easy mode' and it bums me out that I'm so inept at Dante.

The Echidna fight had me switching to Trickster to close the gap, then Swordmaster to use Aerial Rave on her squishy bits, but apart from that I'm so hilariously uncoordinated. Seems like the efficient way to use Royal Guard would be to switch into it when you need to take a hit, then immediately back to your offensive style to counter, but my reactions just aren't good enough to pull that off.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    edited June 2015
    Royal guard isn't a defensive style. It's an offensive style. Royal blocks put enemies on the back foot and block cancelling lets you combined offensive moves faster.
    If you are thinking about it as a safety net you are going to get utterly destroyed every time you switch to royal guard. You have to know the enemies really well.
    Trickster is the defensive style.
    When you need to stay alive use trickster.

Morninglord on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Royal guard isn't a defensive style. It's an offensive style. Royal blocks put enemies on the back foot and block cancelling lets you combined offensive moves faster.
    If you are thinking about it as a safety net you are going to get utterly destroyed every time you switch to royal guard. You have to know the enemies really well.
    Trickster is the defensive style.
    When you need to stay alive use trickster.

I never really viewed Trickster as all that defensive. That mobility lets you herd the enemies for easy group damage. Yeah, you can dodge with it but eh. That's secondary to the positioning it lets you do to set shit up and keep combos flowing.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So what you're saying is both styles promote...offensive defense.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Hahahaha Lady is so fun. Charged Kalina Ann shots do bonkers damage and style points and her taunts are spectacular. Her shotgun stuff is great as well. It is just a damn shame that she's got very little in the way of sweet aerial moves, Wire Grapple to Air Bayonet isn't very satisfying, although it is effective.

...Unless I'm missing something which I probably am, I guess I can experiment more after work.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    There's a bunch of DLC for this on Steam that's just paying for unlockables. That seems weird and stupid.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    There's a bunch of DLC for this on Steam that's just paying for unlockables. That seems weird and stupid.

Capcom

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    It's great that the special edition autosaves, but I'd still like to have multiple save slots, which doesn't seem to be available.

I'd dare to say it's aged better than DMC3 has!

(Quicksilver/Tricksters his way out of the thread)

Oh brilliant
    I'd dare to say it's aged better than DMC3 has!

(Quicksilver/Tricksters his way out of the thread)

lies

dmc3 with style switching mod 4vea

obF2Wuw.png
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Did they change it so that orbs from battle count towards your "orbs" total per mission?

Because I remember DMC4 as basically being Devil May Cry: Furniture Smashing Simulator. Like seriously, I feel like I spent half of my time breaking chairs and pots for orbs.

Marty81 wrote: »
    Did they change it so that orbs from battle count towards your "orbs" total per mission?

Because I remember DMC4 as basically being Devil May Cry: Furniture Smashing Simulator. Like seriously, I feel like I spent half of my time breaking chairs and pots for orbs.

devil may orb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvY3FyXR0U4

obF2Wuw.png