As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - You Had To Be There

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - You Had To Be There

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• SpinelesSSpinelesS Registered User regular
    Yeah, I never got the appeal of Shenmue, the controls were just too terrible for me to get into that game.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Shemue, especially for its day, was an amazing game.

I am very excited for the third part to finally be released but I do hope some game play gets updated. I'm not inclined to spend an hour or two playing forklift mini games like I once was.

Quid on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Minor issue, but any chance of getting the comic thread title format changed back to include the day n' date? Made it easier to see at a glance when the new strip was out!

Also yeah Shenmue was the best don't-actually-investigate-your-father's-murder simulator ever.

215087164_BswKG-1050x10000.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Minor issue, but any chance of getting the comic thread title format changed back to include the day n' date? Made it easier to see at a glance when the new strip was out!

What is he, some kind of robot?

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular

Also yeah Shenmue was the best don't-actually-investigate-your-father's-murder simulator ever.

215087164_BswKG-1050x10000.jpg

This was either my first, or one of my first Penny Arcades. So this one gave me a completely different kind of nostalgia bump.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Not my nostalgia!

steam_sig.png
  • SIXytSIXyt Esq STLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    We all know that cat was not awesome, it was a let down as far as cats are concerned. I mean not even once did it attack your feet for no reason or even try to murder you in your sleep (laying across your face, clawing at you through the blankets ect.), now tell me what kind of cat is that.

SIXyt on
  • TeamPineappleTeamPineapple Lurker Extraordinaire Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Sidebar from Shenmue, awesome as it was, but that last panel! How awesome was that? That was some exceptionally amazing art and it really took me back to that feeling of being a kid sitting outside of a conversation amongst adults and being totally baffled. Really enjoyed this comic.

TeamPineapple on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    The forklift races were the best.

"On your mark... almost time to go."

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • TheXevTheXev Registered User new member
    @TeamPineapple lol The real irony of the last panel is that it is referencing a PA comic from YEARS ago: See Nov 15, 2000 comic for the real joke in that panel. lol

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I never got to play Shenmue, or Shenmue 2. I really wanted to, but I wasn't able to get a Dreamcast and I didn't want to play 2 without playing 1 first so never did. I'm sure they feel super janky and awful to play now, so I've always been secretly hoping for remastered versions.

• StockBreakStockBreak Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I played the first few hours of the original Shenmue. I couldn't figure out where shit was and was generally bored. I remember hearing there's a huge battle around the third disc involving a 100+ people and 3 bosses. But I didn't feel like trudging through forklift operation and whatever so I dropped it. The game was one of the first to use QTEs.

StockBreak on
  • zaitcevzaitcev Registered User regular
    Why is Tycho's daughter never in these comics?

• GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    How old is she, Noah is almost never in the strips either. So maybe they haven't reached a point where their interests make for an interesting comic?(Though Jerry does have an impressive knowledge of My Little Pony)

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I never got to play Shenmue, or Shenmue 2. I really wanted to, but I wasn't able to get a Dreamcast and I didn't want to play 2 without playing 1 first so never did. I'm sure they feel super janky and awful to play now, so I've always been secretly hoping for remastered versions.

It's not quite the same but the kickstarter shows that they'll make short films covering the story of the first two.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    zaitcev wrote: »

I don't think either of Tycho's kids have been in a comic. It's always Mike's.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Gaslight wrote: »

Tycho's daughter is in one of the most sentimental comics they've ever done:
    i-NCzgQDx-1050x10000.jpg
    The newspost is good, too. The last paragraph, especially:
    That’s not really how it works now. Children carve something out of you, a place for themselves; people can twist the knife in that spot, and it just bleeds and bleeds.
    EDIT: Link:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/06/24

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Elliot definitely has - there was one where the 3DS burned his eyes out, right? :P

Oh brilliant
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

It was pretty janky at the time. It's been a long time since I played Shenmue but as remember it the combat was quite nice but the day-to-day controls was like controlling a can of golden syrup in a bowl of treacle.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I am also this kid.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • -creid-creid Registered User regular

Elliot definitely has - there was one where the 3DS burned his eyes out, right? :P
    There was also the two peepee strip and meeting a new friend on the internet, who also had a peepee. Which is a bit discomforting, the two strips I associate with Tycho's son happens to involve conversations about wieners.

Oh, there's also Near Miss. Alright, so not everything is about dicks.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Hmm, I guess I'm just probably getting Elliot confused with Gabe's two boys. Aside from the TLOU comic though, which I'd forgotten about, I can't think of any strips with Ronia in them.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Hmm, I guess I'm just probably getting Elliot confused with Gabe's two boys. Aside from the TLOU comic though, which I'd forgotten about, I can't think of any strips with Ronia in them.
    Backing that up, nothing in the archive is tagged with her either.

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Tycho's daughter is in one of the most sentimental comics they've ever done:
    i-NCzgQDx-1050x10000.jpg
    The newspost is good, too. The last paragraph, especially:
    That’s not really how it works now. Children carve something out of you, a place for themselves; people can twist the knife in that spot, and it just bleeds and bleeds.
    EDIT: Link:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/06/24

Had a son (my first child) earlier this year. I also acquired a PS3 from a friend who moved on to PS4, and promptly went out to get my hands on The Last of Us, since I hadn't played it.

I've played the prologue. Once.

Just... nope. Not yet, at least.

As far as Shenmue, I'll admit it bored me to death after 45 minutes, and I remember the controls being frustrating. Went back to playing marathon sessions of Soul Calibur pretty quickly - which as far as I can tell, was the chief function of the Dreamcast - purveyor of all things Soul Calibur.

Senna1 on