As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Grand Unified Thread for [Game of Thrones] (Book spoiler guidelines in OP)

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited July 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Once upon a time, there were two threads. One was a thread for discussion of the HBO series Game of Thrones. The other was a thread for the book series A Song of Ice and Fire.

They existed together in a constant state of war, and yea there was much strife and reporting of people who would dare to talk about the books on the show thread and vice versa. And verily was this really goddamn stupid and irritating.

Then one day, the all powerful Mod realized that other subforums managed to make do with a single thread for both those things, and even D&D's own The Walking Dead thread could handle book and show discussion in one thread without collapsing into stupid.

And so it came to be that the two threads were struck down and replaced by the One True Thread, a place where all could exist in harmony, secure in the knowledge that the enemies of good etiquette would be exiled for all time.

Short version: you guys get one thread. Don't be dickholes about it, and it'll work fine. Use spoiler tags to indicate if something has only happened in the show or only in the books, within reason. If someone is being an asshole, report it. Use common sense.

You can do this! Don't get shown up by those dumb fuckers in the Walking Dead thread!

Edit: Also! Helpful guideline regarding book spoilers:

The following book related topics should be in spoiler tags:

BOOK PEOPLE ONLY CLICK THIS SPOILER
-Everything Greyjoy from Balon dying on.

-Anything having to do with the BwB, or Lady Stoneheart

-Anything having to do with the Citadel

-Anything having to do with the North Remembering (and the northern lords rebelling against the Boltons)

-Anything Aegon

-Arya warging (and Nymeria/visions/etc)

-Bran's visions.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    All shall fall to ruin. For the thread is dark, and full of neckbeards.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Water. Earth. Fire. Air. Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked...

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    The mods send their regards.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Short version: you guys get one thread. Don't be dickholes about it, and it'll work fine. Use spoiler tags to indicate if something has only happened in the show or only in the books, within reason. If someone is being an asshole, report it. Use common sense.

Uhm, @ElJeffe, how would a show only person know what is a show only spoiler if they haven't read the books?

I think you're going to have to go with show as a normal television show thread spoiler policy with maybe book only stuff hitting spoilers.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    ElJeffe has apparently neither read the books not watched the show, or he might have taken a lesson from Jon Snow.
    Kidding, obviously. It's time.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    How would someone reading the books and not watching the show know if something had happened in the show or not?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Well, this works out- Edit: Like this-

TV:
    I hope Dany gets her shit in gear now.

Book:
    I hope Dany gets her shit in gear now.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Spoiler everything if you don't know and wait for someone who does know to either continue the discussion in spoilers or go "That's not a spoiler" and continue talking in the open?

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    How would someone reading the books and not watching the show know if something had happened in the show or not?

If you don't know then just put it in a labeled spoiler I'd imagine.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Eh, the other big thing is gonna be book/show comparisons which I'm going to assume spoiler ville but is gonna leads to a lot of pages full of entirely spoilered posts and replies.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Eh, the other big thing is gonna be book/show comparisons which I'm going to assume spoiler ville but is gonna leads to a lot of pages full of entirely spoilered posts and replies.

Which is like the worst thing in any thread, IMO. At least until we get a "open all spoilers this page" button.

• Options
    If I've read these things right, season 5 is based on some very dense, kind of boring books in the series?

On topic! Vague comments about the books for this season with no specifics:
    The books for this section are a big tonal shift from the previous books. More of a denouement and a setting up of later things (I assume). This is a huge shifts from the end of the third book and the fact that it came out a decade later didn't help expectations.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

Which is like the worst thing in any thread, IMO. At least until we get a "open all spoilers this page" button.

Icy pls

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    ew, you got your show in my books!

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    So basically the Mod Watch let us Readers south of the Wall?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Now that I can say it:

I like the stuff I've been hearing about Jaime in the books more than the show.

I don't read the books, but my friends have told me about it, and the idea of
    Jaime becoming a commander mopping up Stark remnants and the Brotherhood of banners while learning how to be a solid leader and realizing his skill with a sword isn't everything sounds way, way better than Jaime and Bronn's Bogus Journey in the show.

On Jon
    Also, wasn't the reason that the Watch stabbed Jon in the books was that he went a little crazy with power and wanted to send brothers to fight the Boltons?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    If I've read these things right, season 5 is based on some very dense, kind of boring books in the series?

book pacing spoilers, alongside materials in the show up to the latest episodes
    Season 5 basically sped through all of books 4 and 5 (condensing/altering plotlines in huge ways to make it all fit). It's both of those books because as written, the two books take place mostly simultaneously but in different parts of the world.

Stuff like Bran's trip north of the wall and some other things from Season 4 were also parts of Books 4/5, while things like the events in King's Landing leading to Tywin's death basically are the end of book 3. Everything after Tywin's death in King's Landing takes place in books 4/5.

We're now in a situation where the show is either right on pace with, or very slightly ahead of what's been published in the books. Where A Dance With Dragons left off, the battle of Winterfell has not yet happened (or at least, if it did happen the results of it were not yet made clear by a reliable narrator). Basically everything else is pretty close to where the books left off. Dorne is significantly different, such that Myrcella is still alive. Also, a number of plotlines in book 4/5 have simply ceased to exist on the show -- particularly many events in the Iron Isles. They might bring some of that in next season.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    We can hammer out the rules as we go. As with other show threads, there is a basic understanding that if you haven't watched/read very far and you're in here, it's your own dumb fault if you get spoiled.

My understanding is that the show and books are largely caught up relative to one another. If a character died three seasons ago by stabbing, and two books ago by hanging, that doesn't need to really be tagged, because who cares?

The chief problem has always been people who read the books and started babbling about stuff that was likely going to happen down the road in the show. I think that is a problem that can be worked around. With the show now between seasons, I think this will be a good time to develop a rhythm and see how well this works.

If this is really a disaster, we can reconsider down the road. For now, let's just make a good faith effort to give it a chance.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2015
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    We can hammer out the rules as we go. As with other show threads, there is a basic understanding that if you haven't watched/read very far and you're in here, it's your own dumb fault if you get spoiled.

My understanding is that the show and books are largely caught up relative to one another. If a character died three seasons ago by stabbing, and two books ago by hanging, that doesn't need to really be tagged, because who cares?

The chief problem has always been people who read the books and started babbling about stuff that was likely going to happen down the road in the show. I think that is a problem that can be worked around. With the show now between seasons, I think this will be a good time to develop a rhythm and see how well this works.

If this is really a disaster, we can reconsider down the road. For now, let's just make a good faith effort to give it a chance.

The only things that stand out are, according to casting, that

BOOK 4-5
    The iron born storyline is happening next season, and chances are they will pull heavily from the books for that.

We also know quite a bit more about what Bran is going to be doing up there, though how they decide to make use of it could be different so IDK

We also have seen Sam in Oldtown in the books, and ran into some interesting shit that the show more or less has to address

Beyond those things, I think anything else that happened differently in the books is unlikely to matter now. It's a short list.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Legitimately, other than spoiling upcoming episodes I don't think there is a single thing book readers would be worried about re:spoiling.

Nobody is not watching the show if they've read the books who has been active recently so I would think the show spoilers could follow general TV spoiler rules.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Potential issues from the Books:
    Lady Stoneheart, Mance being alive, and Wyman Manderly's pies topics we can openly discuss with the watchers?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Lady Stoneheart, Mance being alive, and Wyman Manderly's pies topics we can openly discuss with the watchers?

Those all sound like things that should probably stay in spoilers for a bit.

Well the first one seems like a no-go on the show but I'd still probably be a little wary of it just to be courteous.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

no, you need to spoiler that stuff, imo

So It Goes on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Have only seen the show
    what are the odds Dany forges an alliance with dorne? What with Rhaegar and Ellia, and current events being what they are, it would make sense

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options

Those all sound like things that should probably stay in spoilers for a bit.

Well the first one seems like a no-go on the show but I'd still probably be a little wary of it just to be courteous.

Regarding the last of your book spoilers...
    Manderly might be next season. Daddy Bolton has a nice plump Frey wife and everything

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I those are the things that you have to be careful that you aren't unintentionally spoiling, because they can still have a big impact on the show. Like when talking about them directly, spoilering is obvious, just be careful about dropping hints.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Now that I can say it:

Jaime becoming a commander mopping up Stark remnants and the Brotherhood of banners while learning how to be a solid leader and realizing his skill with a sword isn't everything sounds way, way better than Jaime and Bronn's Bogus Journey in the show.

On Jon
    Also, wasn't the reason that the Watch stabbed Jon in the books was that he went a little crazy with power and wanted to send brothers to fight the Boltons?

Jon/book spoilers
    Basically, Jon receives a letter purported to be from Ramsay that's commonly referred to as "the pink letter". It's extremely inflammatory and very rude. It alleges that Ramsay demolished Stannis' army. It alleges that Jon Snow has stolen Ramsay's bride. It alleges that he's stolen Reek, too (they both jumped from the castle in the same way they did in the show, except it's not Sansa with Reek). The letter writer demands that he return them, as well as Selyse and Shrieen (who are not dead) and a couple other people under the Watch's protection. Ramsay threatens to march his forces to the wall and eat Jon's bastard heart if he doesn't turn them over.

Based on the possibility that letter is accurate, Jon musters the watch for a volunteer mission to Winterfell. After that, something plays out basically the same as how he was stabbed in the show.

• Options
    Now that I can say it:

On Jon

Yup.

Show/Book divergence spoilers:
    Jamie basically has to grow up. He's never really been in command before, he always just executed what his father told him to do. When it came down to actually make decisions instead of standing idly by he found out he was fairly good at it and the readers saw he has a sense of fairness and justice.

The Dorne plot from the book is completely different and much less stupid on the face of it and doesn't involve Jamie at all.

Jon decided to lead the Wildling army south so completely forsook his vows to the Watch. So yeah, wildly different than him having let some Wildlings through last week.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Have only seen the show
    what are the odds Dany forges an alliance with dorne? What with Rhaegar and Ellia, and current events being what they are, it would make sense

Seems possible, but then there's nothing to suggest it at the moment either.

Oh and Jon and the Wall in the books/show:
    Isn't that different. They didn't stab him because he broke his oath, thet stabbed him because of everything, including the fact they're idiots just like the show. Jon pretty much didn't have a choice about going south because the Boltons are fucking everyone.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Now that I can say it:

On Jon

Jon/book spoilers
    Basically, Jon receives a letter purported to be from Ramsay that's commonly referred to as "the pink letter". It's extremely inflammatory and very rude. It alleges that Ramsay demolished Stannis' army. It alleges that Jon Snow has stolen Ramsay's bride. It alleges that he's stolen Reek, too (they both jumped from the castle in the same way they did in the show, except it's not Sansa with Reek). The letter writer demands that he return them, as well as Selyse and Shrieen (who are not dead) and a couple other people under the Watch's protection. Ramsay threatens to march his forces to the wall and eat Jon's bastard heart if he doesn't turn them over.

Based on the possibility that letter is accurate, Jon musters the watch for a volunteer mission to Winterfell. After that, something plays out basically the same as how he was stabbed in the show.
    Now that I can say it:

On Jon

Yup.

Jamie basically has to grow up. He's never really been in command before, he always just executed what his father told him to do. When it came down to actually make decisions instead of standing idly by he found out he was fairly good at it and the readers saw he has a sense of fairness and justice.

The Dorne plot from the book is completely different and much less stupid on the face of it and doesn't involve Jamie at all.

Jon decided to lead the Wildling army south so completely forsook his vows to the Watch. So yeah, wildly different than him having let some Wildlings through last week.

These actually sound like much better reasons than the show had for that event. Really wish they could have used them.

Also, is Jon's hair white in the books? Someone told me that and with his name "Snow" that sounds like dumb anime bullshit that I'm glad they changed for the show.
    I'm not getting into the Rhaegar and Lyanna thing though

• Options
    Kit Harrington is pretty spot on to Jon's physical description in the books.

Maybe they got confused with his Direwolf? Ghost is also pretty accurate to the books as well.

• Options
    Jon's a pretty good depiction. You wanna see some shit, this is how Daario is supposed to looks in the books:

daario_naharis_portrait_by_kittanee-d663gs9.png

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    In the books the Targaryens also have silver-white hair and purple eyes.

So plenty of dumb anime bullshit in the books, but its also something easier to mentally deal with in a book vs an image you see on screen all the time in a show.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Now that I can say it:

On Jon

Jon/book spoilers

Now that I can say it:

On Jon

Yup.

These actually sound like much better reasons than the show had for that event. Really wish they could have used them.

Also, is Jon's hair white in the books? Someone told me that and with his name "Snow" that sounds like dumb anime bullshit that I'm glad they changed for the show.
    I'm not getting into the Rhaegar and Lyanna thing though

Snow is just the bastard name for the North (Ramsay was Ramsay Snow before he was made Ramsay Bolton last season).

All the kingdoms have one

North: Snow
    Vale: Stone
    Riverlands: Rivers
    Stormlands: Storm
    Dorne: Sand

I'm forgetting what the others are at the moment, but it'sn ot his appearance.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I used to be kinda bummed that Season 2 wasn't called Clash Of Kings and that they'd change it up each season. I guess with the way it played out, it would've been a cluster eff if they'd tried to maintain a season = book naming scheme. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Have only seen the show

I would say this is on the level of plot rumor/spoilers for future seasons so it should be [][/]

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Jon's a pretty good depiction. You wanna see some shit, this is how Daario is supposed to looks in the books:

daario_naharis_portrait_by_kittanee-d663gs9.png

Ew.

His first dirty legolas look in the show looked better than that.

On tangent from the art I've seen on the wiki of
    Balon's brother
    , he looks like the handsomest motherfucker in the world.

• Options
    It would also not make it past the marketing people.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I think Book stannis was way better then Show stannis.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Kit Harrington is pretty spot on to Jon's physical description in the books.

Maybe they got confused with his Direwolf? Ghost is also pretty accurate to the books as well.

Except in the book Ghost was also silent. The showrunners tried it but apparently the snarling CG direwolf looked really bad without sound.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.