As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy]: Spoony Bard vs. Meteor Sage edition

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    In Record Keeper. I have the means to make the Dark spell. Should I?

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    There's a few bosses in the current Classic dungeons...ok I think only one where the requirement is exploiting Dark Weakness. Besides that one use? I don't think so.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    BTW PS4 PC port of FF7 is coming out on October 16th. 16.99$ price tag.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/06/final-fantasy-vii-pc-port-for-ps4-releasing-in-october/

Again, the rumor is that it's getting a new translation. Which I especially hope for with that price point.

Also, just found G-Bike footage featuring Father Of Every Year:

https://youtu.be/D5cgPc0DXyk

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    (((Enemy HP)/(Multiplier of attack)*(Enemy Defense)^0.5))^(1/1.8))/(Bonus % to Atk) = Needed Atk to kill enemy in one shot.

(((Enemy HP)/(Multiplier of spell))*(Enemy Resist)^0.5))^(1/1.65))/(Bonus % to Mag) = Needed Mag to kill enemy in one shot.

For example, if I wanted to one-shot with Double Cut and Boost an enemy with 3700 HP and 99 defense, I would have:

(((3700/1.8)*(99^0.5))^(1/1.8))/1.25 = 199 Atk

These formula change at high values of Atk/Mag, but I figured they'd be interesting for people to look at.

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    I need to work through the story missions and get Irvine.

Solely because I have a Ten-gallon Hat I pulled awhile back.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Shamus wrote: »
    I need to work through the story missions and get Irvine.

Solely because I have a Ten-gallon Hat I pulled awhile back.

I think he can only use daggers and guns so I haven't felt the need to level him up since I don't actually have a weapon he can use.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Irvine is probably one of the worst characters in the game though. Down there with the classes.

Seriously, he has caster abilities, but can't equip anything that can buff his magic. Boooooo.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Irvine is probably one of the worst characters in the game though. Down there with the classes.

Seriously, he has caster abilities, but can't equip anything that can buff his magic. Boooooo.

So he's just as useless as he was in VIII. At least they're keeping faithful to the source :P

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    No way! Irvine was amazing in FVIII. At least... he was amazing once you farmed the best ammo for him. His trigger finger limit break is just as good, or better than Squall's, if you can squeeze off enough shots.

Irvine was a member of my final party. I was using Squall, Rinoa, and Irvine.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I think you're lying. From what I remember, he could never pull the trigger...

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

He has Combat 3 and Support 5. So he can Double Cut, use all the Breaks, and eventually get the better Support Breaks, as well as all the Status Busters. He can cause and remove status effects in a pinch with White and Black, as well as target basic elemental weaknesses.

Lack of guns is annoying though. I'm probably going to double pull on the upcoming banners for Balthier, Red XIII, and Sazh. I miiiiiiiiiight pull on Irvine's banner, but it's not super good like the other three I mentioned.

• Options
    Oh I don't care how good he is. I just want to equip a cowboy hat on him.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Hmmm...all this FF8 talk has got me in the mood for one more playthrough. Are there any mods as massive as those for FF7PC? Preferably something that doesn't break Steam Achievements...I'm gonna try to 100% this one too.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    There are mods for it, yes, but not as many. And they'll probably break Steam Achievements. To mod these games you have to "patch" them back to the original pre-Steam releases.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Taking it back to AVALANCHE's potential innocent victims. I'll throw this in spoilers just because it's a bit of text (and also FFVII SPOILERS).
    So, I can't find a specific instance of anyone saying "innocent civilians died as a direct cause of the actions of AVALANCHE." What I can find is open to debate. I'll quote out the mentions and give my take on each.
    President Shinra:
    .........today the No. 1 Reactor was bombed. The terrorist group AVALANCHE has claimed responsibility for the bombing.
    It is expected that AVALANCHE will continue its reign of terror.
    But citizens of Midgar, there is no need to fear.
    I have immediately mobilized SOLDIER to protect our citizenry against this senseless violence. Thank you and good night.

Jessie:
    Oops...
    Hey, look at the news... What a blast.
    Think it was all because of my bomb? But all I really did was just make it like the computer told me.
    Oh no! I must've made a miscalculation somewhere.
    Hey, that was my bomb's debut. Makes me kinda proud.

No mention of any casualties/deaths/injuries by Shinra, and even if there were, they could be chalked up to propaganda. I've mentioned this before, but I don't see Jessie talking about being ANY level of proud if the bomb killed innocent civilians.
    Cait Sith:
    I been itchin' to say this to ya fer a while now!

(He waves his arms madly at Barret.)

When ya blew the Midgar No. 1 up, how many folks d'ya think
    died?

Barret:
    ...that was for the life of the planet. Ya gotta expect a few
    casualties.

(Cait Sith turns away.)

Cait Sith:
    A few? Whaddya mean 'a few'? What may be a few to y'all is
    everything to them who died......

(A pause. He turns back to face Barret, who is still staring out the
    window.)

Protect the planet. Hah! Y'all sure sound good!
    Ain't no one that'd go against ya. So ya think ya can do
    whatever y'all want?

(Barret spins to face him.)

Barret:
    I don't wanna hear that from no one in Shinra...

(He turns back to the window. Cait Sith slumps down.)

Cait Sith:
    ......nuthin' I can do 'bout that...

(Cloud turns to face them both.)

Cloud:
    Stop it!

Tifa:
    Cait Sith...... Barret, he knows what he did.
    What we did in Midgar can't be forgotten no matter what the
    reason.

This is the single most damning evidence against AVALANCHE, but even then it's not really all that conclusive. AVALANCHE clearly has zero qualms about killing members of SOLDIER, Shinra cronies, or anyone who is threatening the planet. But look who is having the conversation: it's Cait Sith, who is actually a division head for Shinra. When he asks Barret how many people died and Barret mentions expected casualties, I don't know that either one of them is referring to innocent bystanders. And when I say "innocent bystanders," I mean people walking down the street, driving by the scene, etc. I'm not talking about Shinra employees that just happened to be working there and died as a result. HOWEVER, I think that's exactly what Cait Sith and Barret are both talking about. Since Cait Sith works for Shinra it's probable that he lost friends in that explosion. Barret is referring to those people as casualties.

Lastly...
    Barret:
    You're right...
    It sounds cool sayin' it's to save the planet.
    But I was the one who blew up that Mako reactor......
    Lookin' back on it now, I can see that wasn't the right way to
    do things.
    I made a lot of friends and innocent bystanders suffer...

(He thrusts his fist into the air)

...At first, it was for revenge against Shinra. For attackin' my
    town.
    But now......
    Yeah. I'm fightin' for Marlene.
    For Marlene... For Marlene's future...
    Yeah... I guess I want to save the planet for Marlene's sake...

In this case, I think he's talking about the repercussions of the Mako explosion, not the act itself. What friends suffered because of the explosion? None. What friends were crushed by a massive piece of the city? Probably quite a few. Innocent bystanders? Every single person under that section of city.

So anyways, I don't think I've closed the book on this, but I'm pointing out why I don't think "Joe/Jane Civilian" is included in deaths caused directly by AVALANCHE.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Ugh...top 1 thing I'm gonna hate about this remake. Aerith/Aeris "fate" is again gonna be a spoiler. Hmph.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So been playing FFD and holy shit this game is long. Like I'm 20 hours in, just unlocked dark knight, and apparently have 6 more of the little class episode things before the last chapter.

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    Taking it back to AVALANCHE's potential innocent victims. I'll throw this in spoilers just because it's a bit of text (and also FFVII SPOILERS).
    So, I can't find a specific instance of anyone saying "innocent civilians died as a direct cause of the actions of AVALANCHE." What I can find is open to debate. I'll quote out the mentions and give my take on each.
    President Shinra:
    .........today the No. 1 Reactor was bombed. The terrorist group AVALANCHE has claimed responsibility for the bombing.
    It is expected that AVALANCHE will continue its reign of terror.
    But citizens of Midgar, there is no need to fear.
    I have immediately mobilized SOLDIER to protect our citizenry against this senseless violence. Thank you and good night.

Jessie:
    Oops...
    Hey, look at the news... What a blast.
    Think it was all because of my bomb? But all I really did was just make it like the computer told me.
    Oh no! I must've made a miscalculation somewhere.
    Hey, that was my bomb's debut. Makes me kinda proud.

No mention of any casualties/deaths/injuries by Shinra, and even if there were, they could be chalked up to propaganda. I've mentioned this before, but I don't see Jessie talking about being ANY level of proud if the bomb killed innocent civilians.
    Cait Sith:
    I been itchin' to say this to ya fer a while now!

(He waves his arms madly at Barret.)

When ya blew the Midgar No. 1 up, how many folks d'ya think
    died?

Barret:
    ...that was for the life of the planet. Ya gotta expect a few
    casualties.

(Cait Sith turns away.)

Cait Sith:
    A few? Whaddya mean 'a few'? What may be a few to y'all is
    everything to them who died......

(A pause. He turns back to face Barret, who is still staring out the
    window.)

Protect the planet. Hah! Y'all sure sound good!
    Ain't no one that'd go against ya. So ya think ya can do
    whatever y'all want?

(Barret spins to face him.)

Barret:
    I don't wanna hear that from no one in Shinra...

(He turns back to the window. Cait Sith slumps down.)

Cait Sith:
    ......nuthin' I can do 'bout that...

(Cloud turns to face them both.)

Cloud:
    Stop it!

Tifa:
    Cait Sith...... Barret, he knows what he did.
    What we did in Midgar can't be forgotten no matter what the
    reason.

This is the single most damning evidence against AVALANCHE, but even then it's not really all that conclusive. AVALANCHE clearly has zero qualms about killing members of SOLDIER, Shinra cronies, or anyone who is threatening the planet. But look who is having the conversation: it's Cait Sith, who is actually a division head for Shinra. When he asks Barret how many people died and Barret mentions expected casualties, I don't know that either one of them is referring to innocent bystanders. And when I say "innocent bystanders," I mean people walking down the street, driving by the scene, etc. I'm not talking about Shinra employees that just happened to be working there and died as a result. HOWEVER, I think that's exactly what Cait Sith and Barret are both talking about. Since Cait Sith works for Shinra it's probable that he lost friends in that explosion. Barret is referring to those people as casualties.

Lastly...
    Barret:
    You're right...
    It sounds cool sayin' it's to save the planet.
    But I was the one who blew up that Mako reactor......
    Lookin' back on it now, I can see that wasn't the right way to
    do things.
    I made a lot of friends and innocent bystanders suffer...

(He thrusts his fist into the air)

...At first, it was for revenge against Shinra. For attackin' my
    town.
    But now......
    Yeah. I'm fightin' for Marlene.
    For Marlene... For Marlene's future...
    Yeah... I guess I want to save the planet for Marlene's sake...

In this case, I think he's talking about the repercussions of the Mako explosion, not the act itself. What friends suffered because of the explosion? None. What friends were crushed by a massive piece of the city? Probably quite a few. Innocent bystanders? Every single person under that section of city.

So anyways, I don't think I've closed the book on this, but I'm pointing out why I don't think "Joe/Jane Civilian" is included in deaths caused directly by AVALANCHE.

It could just be the simplest explanation in the world in that whenever they bring up AVALANCHE and civilian casualties, they exclusively mean Sector 7, in that they feel responsible for it.

One way or another, both Tifa and Barret talk about how much they regret their actions in their respective novels, with Tifa going so far as to say that she expects one day to be punished for war crimes...which is a really depressing thought considering how much they struggled to save the world.

Either way, this is something that would probably be explained more clearly with a new translation as well as an updated Remake.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    No way! Irvine was amazing in FVIII. At least... he was amazing once you farmed the best ammo for him. His trigger finger limit break is just as good, or better than Squall's, if you can squeeze off enough shots.

Zell is probably the best character in 8, in terms of raw damage.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »

God, Zell and his fifteen-minute long limit breaks.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    So been playing FFD and holy shit this game is long. Like I'm 20 hours in, just unlocked dark knight, and apparently have 6 more of the little class episode things before the last chapter.

FFD is a 60 hour game at least. And that doesn't include the extra content that comes at the end. IMHO, it's too long for its own good.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Damage sure, but Selphie can reliably kill anything in the game in a turn. It's pretty easy to get The End when you know how to game the system.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Damage sure, but Selphie can reliably kill anything in the game in a turn. It's pretty easy to get The End when you know how to game the system.

And that is why my party is always Squall, Zell, and Selphie.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Between Selphie, Quistis, and Diablos pretty much nothing else in FF8 matters. You can completely manipulate the game with those three elements, and Quistis is optional if you're good enough with Selphie.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The whole game was broke just matter what flavor of broke you wanted.

• Options
    Play card games, wreck shit

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Fiesta continues! Monk, Red Mage, and Geomancer. I'm starting to feel like I might be in trouble when it comes to the late game.

• Options
    Ok something I'm not really clear on regarding Triple Triad. So, if I Card Mod Brothers, is it lost forever? Or can I get it back?

• Options
    Ugh. Looks like Garnet's event is one more event that I'm not going to be able to complete.

I went in against Black Waltz I with near as good a party as I could make, aside from my dumbass decision to give Cloud Ice Armor. Everyone at or near level 50, Cloud with Fire Strike and Terra with Firaga, Tifa packing Armor Break and Tidus with Boost and Magic Break, Lenna carrying Curaga. I even brought along a Trance Fira RW that did like 8000 damage a pop and blew a Mythril to start the battle with everything topped off and made sure to focus fire on Black Waltz I, since he can just revive Sealion.

And I still got stomped without getting anywhere near to the end of Black Waltz I's health. I can see where my limit lies.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Ok something I'm not really clear on regarding Triple Triad. So, if I Card Mod Brothers, is it lost forever? Or can I get it back?

If I remember correctly, you can get any card back, but only very, very late in the game.

• Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Ugh. Looks like Garnet's event is one more event that I'm not going to be able to complete.

I went in against Black Waltz I with near as good a party as I could make, aside from my dumbass decision to give Cloud Ice Armor. Everyone at or near level 50, Cloud with Fire Strike and Terra with Firaga, Tifa packing Armor Break and Tidus with Boost and Magic Break, Lenna carrying Curaga. I even brought along a Trance Fira RW that did like 8000 damage a pop and blew a Mythril to start the battle with everything topped off and made sure to focus fire on Black Waltz I, since he can just revive Sealion.

And I still got stomped without getting anywhere near to the end of Black Waltz I's health. I can see where my limit lies.
    That fight is pretty tough. It gets much easier if you bring a Celes RW with Runic Blade. Cast it with your mage. It'll absorb all the single-target spells (i.e. most of the damage) and restore ability charges. The free recharging means you can even pack Firaja.

Incidentally, that fight is much easier in the boss rush, as the HP totals are much, much lower.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    That phrasing.

• Options

If I remember correctly, you can get any card back, but only very, very late in the game.

I believe Pupu is the exception to this.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

That fight is pretty tough. It gets much easier if you bring a Celes RW with Runic Blade. Cast it with your mage. It'll absorb all the single-target spells (i.e. most of the damage) and restore ability charges. The free recharging means you can even pack Firaja.

Incidentally, that fight is much easier in the boss rush, as the HP totals are much, much lower.

Anyone here have a Runic Blade RW?

• Options
    I didn't have Celes RW, but I did bring her along with her base soul break. That and Magic Break did a great job of mitigating the damage.

• Options
    I hope when the time comes they go for intentionally retro ads that call back the original advertisements:

index.php?ACT=92&fid=46&d=509&f=finalfantasy7c.jpg

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Wow. That's one of the boldest game ads I've ever seen.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    That ad isn't quite the same as that ad of Crash Bandicoot outside Nintendo HQ heckling, but it's in the ballpark.

Especially if you want to factor in the last 5 years or so.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Wow. That's one of the boldest game ads I've ever seen.

Pretty standard console warz stuff from back in the day, honestly.

This discussion has been closed.