As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ask Tube

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    How secure is this forum compared with other social media regarding hacking attempts, and is this forum targeted often?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Out of all the sections and subsections of the forums, which one or ones have you had the least amount of trouble from?

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Now I want to bake special cakes for each of the mods

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If the community were to provide the moderation staff with cake, what variety would be most preferred

Unpoisoned is my favorite.

iwantanswers3.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tube, what is the best dinosaur?

CYpGAPn.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tube wrote: »
    So

who actually changed my name

Me.

i was initially kinda upset about it but now I really enjoy the contrast between what I post and the username attached to it

The intent wasn't to upset you, so if you'd wanted it changed back I would have done so immediately. You can consider yourself to have a free name change in the bank. Involuntary name changes are always done to delight rather than rebuke.
    Syphyre wrote: »
    In general, is the number of people frequenting (and perhaps posting) on the forums growing, shrinking, or remaining somewhat constant?

We lost a chunk of users when the PA Report shut down, and another chunk due to A Recent Divisive Industry Phenomenon. In the second case, I was glad to see them go. Our remit is 100% to provide a quality community rather than a large one, so I don't track traffic stats in anything but the most general sense.
    David_T wrote: »
    Someone mentioned name changes and I'm clear on name changes not happening, but with the way the internet gaming community has changed, I'm generally less thrilled about being firstname underscore last initial than I was seven years ago. Given the changes that have happened on the internet as a whole, how much of policy here has been reactionary to this forum (see problem, fix problem) and how much has been seeing things happening elsewhere and trying to get ahead of the curve?

And as an optional addendum, has there been problems you saw elsewhere you were worried about that just never became an issue here?

The name changes policy was to remedy an immediate problem of people constantly asking for name changes. By happy accident it had a largely positive effect. A running policy on the boards that effects several issues is "think about it, because once it's done it's done." This applies to your username (we won't change it) you post history (we won't edit it) and your forum account (we won't delete it).

For your addendum: not that I can think of.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »
    If the community were to provide the moderation staff with cake, what variety would be most preferred

No promises larlar

While you're here there's someone in the western mountains of north Carolina with LARLAR on their licence plates

Thought you should know

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Paladin wrote: »
    How secure is this forum compared with other social media regarding hacking attempts, and is this forum targeted often?

That's probably not a question I can answer. Icy might, at his discretion.

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular

...what's your second favourite

PSN- AHermano
    Madican wrote: »
    Out of all the sections and subsections of the forums, which one or ones have you had the least amount of trouble from?

The smaller subforums are largely painless.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    What gauge strings should I use to avoid fret buzz in drop tunings?

It's not the string gauge that matters, it's the setup. I use 10s for Db tuning, if you're going much lower than that you should ask yourself some searching questions about the music you're playing.

Thanks tube, I should probably ought to finally get a guitar that cost more than 60 bucks.

Radius wrote: »
    Was there some method of dealing with the bots that posted hidden images in copies of previous posts that went into effect? I've seen them far less lately.

If there was, we wouldn't be able to say what it was or when it went into effect. Spammers read forums to find out how people are subverting them.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Did we ever get the results of Snap Crackle Pop?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Do you have an office you go into to work? Or do you work from home? Do you spend your days in an internet cafe?

Do you have an office you go into to work? Or do you work from home? Do you spend your days in an internet cafe?

I go to an office. For most of the last two years I travelled and worked wherever, so occasionally internet cafes.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Do you enjoy your time posting here or has having to do it for a job made it just a thing that's part of work

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Someone mentioned name changes and I'm clear on name changes not happening, but with the way the internet gaming community has changed, I'm generally less thrilled about being firstname underscore last initial than I was seven years ago. Given the changes that have happened on the internet as a whole, how much of policy here has been reactionary to this forum (see problem, fix problem) and how much has been seeing things happening elsewhere and trying to get ahead of the curve?

The name changes policy was to remedy an immediate problem of people constantly asking for name changes. By happy accident it had a largely positive effect. A running policy on the boards that effects several issues is "think about it, because once it's done it's done." This applies to your username (we won't change it) you post history (we won't edit it) and your forum account (we won't delete it).

Oh, sorry, I actually meant policy in general, not the name stuff. Like the Glorious Edict, was it solely because of the tone on these boards or was it also in part to get out in front of what feels like a general elevation of hostilities on the net?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Is it useful to report spambots or do they cover so many threads that a mod is going to see them anyway, rendering the reports clutter?

liEt3nH.png
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I like vanilla cake and generally prefer vanilla to chocolate. It is one of the only "vanilla" things about me.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Is it useful to report spambots or do they cover so many threads that a mod is going to see them anyway, rendering the reports clutter?

Useful

edited June 2015
    Do you enjoy your time posting here or has having to do it for a job made it just a thing that's part of work

I mostly enjoy the posting, I only really post if I'm moderating or doing so for my own entertainment. If I didn't work here I would post much less, but that's more a function of spending 12 years in the same community.
    Oh, sorry, I actually meant policy in general, not the name stuff. Like the Glorious Edict, was it solely because of the tone on these boards or was it also in part to get out in front of what feels like a general elevation of hostilities on the net?

The glorious edict was made on a whim based on an afternoon of me thinking about it and given a funny name so that I could take it back and say it was a joke. It was to get in front of the general elevation of hostilities on the net. In the old days, the PA forums were semi-unique in being a place where you could call everyone a shithead. When the entire internet turned into that, I wanted to be something different.

Tube on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    What if

Your hands were spiders

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Do you ever shut down a thread/ moderate with the intent to discourage users from revealing too much personal information about themselves i.e. pictures, hometowns, age etc? Or do you largely leave that up to the poster's discretion?

I know sometimes I worry when people get too specific about themselves, just because the internet is forever and you never know who will attempt to sift through old info, and wonder what the moderation staff thinks of that sort of thing.

Extremely useful

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Which Beatle is your favorite?

(applies to all the mods)

joshofalltrades on
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hermano wrote: »

...what's your second favourite

Excessively poisoned. Go big or go home alive.

iwantanswers3.png
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Cheese.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Do you ever shut down a thread/ moderate with the intent to discourage users from revealing too much personal information about themselves i.e. pictures, hometowns, age etc? Or do you largely leave that up to the poster's discretion?

I know sometimes I worry when people get too specific about themselves, just because the internet is forever and you never know who will attempt to sift through old info, and wonder what the moderation staff thinks of that sort of thing.

I do, definitely.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    A'ight thank you, it's definitely something I've wondered, since reporting spambots is basically my sole positive contribution to the community.

liEt3nH.png
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Whenever a thread is being moderated and posts have been edited, how often are the original contents of posts considered in the outcome?

No I don't.
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Extremely useful

Oh good, because I've tried to report every spambot that I see but I never knew if it was actually helpful or not.

JtgVX0H.png
    I am on vacation and now secretly hoping to return to a mailbox full of cake.

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    asking a sincere question is not passive aggressive, nor rude.

i do not see a difference, at all, between "i do not like these posts, so i am ignoring them" and "i do not like these posts, so i am kicking from the thread". if you are philosophically opposed to one, you have to be to the other. they are both just ways to end any discourse with the least amount of thought.

now, i will be rude and regular aggressive at the conclusion of this post, because when you mentioned having a discussion about moderation, i was hoping it would be a sincere discussion, not a terrible AMA where you get to ignore questions you don't like.

Why are you so upset about people being able to post literally anywhere else on the entire forum but one thread when they're being brats in that one thread

i'm not even talking about myself

there was one specific instance i don't want to reference without first okay-ing it with the person who was kicked, and i have sent them a pm

but it was a completely bullshit thing to happen, they were trying to make a point and were kicked from the thread before they even had a chance to justify what they were saying. i wanted to see what they had to say and nope, now they're gone because uhhh ???
    Zay wrote: »
    asking a sincere question is not passive aggressive, nor rude.

It's not about what you think.
    i do not see a difference, at all, between "i do not like these posts, so i am ignoring them" and "i do not like these posts, so i am kicking from the thread".

It doesn't matter what you think
    now, i will be rude and regular aggressive at the conclusion of this post, because when you mentioned having a discussion about moderation, i was hoping it would be a sincere discussion, not a terrible AMA where you get to ignore questions you don't like.

You will continue to have your opinion disregarded, because you will continue to make the result of disregarding your opinion more favourable than the result of regarding it.

cool so this thread was pointless alright kick me from it i guess

i didn't realize you were intending to have a sincere discussion of moderation, provided you already agree with every policy in place

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    I am on vacation and now secretly hoping to return to a mailbox full of cake.

So I probably shouldn't have sent ice cream cake, huh?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Cheese.

wedding-cake-made-of-cheese-nice.jpg?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    Whenever a thread is being moderated and posts have been edited, how often are the original contents of posts considered in the outcome?
    For me, it depends on how egregious the original contents were in breaking policy or being a dick. Saying something like "FUCK YOU, YOU SHITHEAD" and then following up with "sorry, I take it back" in person would probably still result in some shit, so why not on the internet?

On the other end of the spectrum, posting an image that breaks the size limit, then editing it out is a reasonable "my bad" situation.

zerzhul on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    As general rule of thumb, it's better to err on the side of reporting. At worst, we might dismiss your report and that's it.

When a person is infracted for a report, which is extremely rare, they knew what they were doing when making the bad report.

YL9WnCY.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

ringo

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Cheese.

wedding-cake-made-of-cheese-nice.jpg?

If I was told there was cheesecake and then someone served me cheese in the shape of a cake, there would be hell to pay.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    ringo
    Nobody likes drummers, geebs.

This discussion has been closed.