As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Talk About [Movies]; Say Interesting Things; Don't Be Jerks

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited July 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Prolific Academy Award-winning composer James Horner has died.
James Horner, the consummate film composer known for his heart-tugging scores died Monday in a plane crash near Santa Barbara. He was 61.

His death was confirmed by Sylvia Patrycja, who is identified on Horner's film music page as his assistant.

"We have lost an amazing person with a huge heart and unbelievable talent," Patrycja wrote on Facebook on Monday. "He died doing what he loved. Thank you for all your support and love and see you down the road."

Horner was piloting the small aircraft when it crashed into a remote area about 60 miles north of Santa Barbara, officials said.

Horner was responsible for some of the most memorable soundtracks of the last 30 years, and was one of the top names in the industry, right alongside John Williams, Alan Silvestri, Hans Zimmer, and Howard Shore. Even if you can't name one of his films from memory, you've definitely heard them, probably in films like:

Apocalypto
The Mask of Zorro
Titanic
Braveheart
Legends of the Fall
The Rocketeer
Field of Dreams
Willow
*batteries not included
An American Tail
Aliens
Krull
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

A frequent collaborator with James Cameron and Mel Gibson, Horner was currently working on the scores to the Avatar sequels. His contribution to the industry is immeasurable, and he will be dearly missed.

Jacobkosh on

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2015
    Braveheart, for all my trouble watching it any more due to Mel's implosion, has one of my favorite film soundtracks of all time.

I still hear those outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes in my head from time to time.

He will be missed.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Horner had a lot of generic stuff, if I remember correctly, but he also wrote some extremely iconic scores. My own personal favourite is probably Field of Dreams, but I'm also rather fond of his odd score for The Name of the Rose.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Probably not anyone else's favourite, but I love the soundtrack for Aliens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKss7_QzYI

Just like everything else in that movie, it was a perfect escalation of the ambient creepiness from Jerry Goldsmith's original soundtrack for Alien. It uses the same melodies, but turns em into bombastic action tunes.

Oh brilliant
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Probably not anyone else's favourite, but I love the soundtrack for Aliens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKss7_QzYI

Just like everything else in that movie, it was a perfect escalation of the ambient creepiness from Jerry Goldsmith's original soundtrack for Alien. It uses the same melodies, but turns em into bombastic action tunes.

Ah yes, the perfect soundtrack for heroically running away.

That and Bishop's Countdown are two of my favorite Horner tracks.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I still prefer his version of the Star Trek theme rather than Jerry Goldsmith's version that was used in Star Trek "The Movie", 5 and the TNG series.

Really cool his discussion about trying to come up with a new theme from Jerry Goldsmith's version that had more of a "seafaring" sound to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8D6j5LPho

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Syndalis wrote:
    Braveheart, for all my trouble watching it any more due to Mel's implosion, has one of my favorite film soundtracks of all time.

I still hear those outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes in my head from time to time.

He will be missed.

I know what you mean. Back in the day, when Braveheart was fairly new, my best friend and I used to sit and listen to the soundtrack while we were chilling out at his cabin on the weekend. It was a wonderful soundtrack, with plenty of distinct and identifiable moments in its songs. So much so, that you could literally visualize moments in the movie based on what you were hearing.

May he find solace and good music in whatever afterlife awaits him.

Man, is it just me or is this year really sucking for losing artists and intellectuals that I actually respect? So far we've lost Pratchett, Nimoy, Lee, and now Horner.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Man, is it just me or is this year really sucking for losing artists and intellectuals that I actually respect? So far we've lost Pratchett, Nimoy, Lee, and now Horner.

Honestly, every year is like that.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I read Atomkia's opening line as "Police Academy's Award-winning composer" and thought for a second I really really missed some shit.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

Yup, it's just that we get more familiar with the names each year.

forumsig.png
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Apollo 13 should be added to that list as it is as rockin' as it is spine-tingly-dingly. Can make my eyes glassy on command just thinking of the moments where everyone is awaiting a transmission from the spacecraft after re-entry.

I also used to always try to fall asleep to the Titanic soundtrack as a kid, only to be abruptly woken up when it got to the sinking bits. I did this over and over always hoping my sleep would be deep enough to ignore it, but alas...

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    NOOOOOO not another one!

Jeez, I just hope that some awesome dude like Christopher Lee isn't next. I hope that dude lives forever.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Someone get a doctor around Mel Brooks and Norman Lear, stat.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    NOOOOOO not another one!

Jeez, I just hope that some awesome dude like Christopher Lee isn't next. I hope that dude lives forever.

Joke?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

This year is scoring pretty high on the nerd demographic.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I just read that Dick Van Patten also died.
    You might remember him as the Abbott from The Princess Bride, or the king in Spaceballs.

https://youtu.be/-c9mlOrDhc4

http://mashable.com/2015/06/23/dick-van-patten-dead/

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I was going to comment that the thread title of "A Eulogy for James Horner" was just asking for someone else to die.

And it happened before I could post it. :sad:

Houn on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The death that hit me the hardest in recent times was probably Robin Williams.

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Robin Williams' death so greatly effected me that I called out of work and didn't leave my room for the entire day.

I wasn't just sad, I was scared. I was terrified.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    I guess I'm just hard hearted the loss of a celebrity doesn't affect me at all.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I guess I'm just hard hearted the loss of a celebrity doesn't affect me at all.

Williams hit remarkably close to home for me, mainly because he was

a. funny
    b. kind
    c. and open about his depression; I'm all three, as well.

And finding out that he's killed himself was mortifying, because (I mean, I'm not a celebrity, I'm an amateur writer/performer) that could have easily been me on a bad day.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    As a person who is naturally a people-pleaser and uses a lot of humor to deflect from depression, Williams' death hit me with an instant sense of empathetic sadness.

I read something once that said that we talk about depression and suicide like they're irrational externalities that people choose to take on, when the reality of the situation is that depression in many cases is more like cancer in that you battle it, sometimes for years, and sometimes you beat it and sometimes it beats you.

Robin Williams successfully fought depression for 63 years. He fought the wrecking sequelae of drug addiction, the deaths of many dear friends, and a debilitating neurological disease, and still made the world happy all the while.

I've had celebrity deaths make me sad, but the only one that really hit me hard was Heath Ledger's, and that was mostly because we were the same age, it was unexpected, and he clearly had a lot more to contribute to acting.

Someone like Christopher Lee is still sad but more of a time to celebrate his career. Williams is tragic, but he did give a lot and even in death can still inspire others and start a much-needed conversation.

But overall when a celebrity dies I'm sad for 30 minutes, reminisce, maybe watch / listen to something they did and move on. But also, the In Memoriam section of award shows is often my favorite part because it lets me again remember all these people and what they have contributed to my life.

I after Phillip Seymore Hoffman died, I was fucking angry. Angry with him, angry with Hollywood, angry with the cruel and capricious cosmos that could take someone so talented with so much left to give away from us.

It still hurts.

edited June 2015
    Independence Day: Resurgence is the title of the new movie.
    We always knew they were coming back. After Independence Day redefined the event movie genre, the next epic chapter delivers global spectacle on an unimaginable scale. Using recovered alien technology, the nations of Earth have collaborated on an immense defense program to protect the planet. But nothing can prepare us for the aliens’ advanced and unprecedented force. Only the ingenuity of a few brave men and women can bring our world back from the brink of extinction.
    Along with returning cast members Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, Judd Hirsch, Vivica A. Fox, and Brent Spiner, the film also stars Liam Hemsworth, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Jessie Usher, Maika Monroe, and and Sela Ward.

Different kind of nepotism than I expected for the movie but still, there we go.

TexiKen on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    At the end of the day, entertainers are still just people, and we all die sooner or later. Being famous doesn't make that more or less sad, just more visible. That we know their names at all out of the sea of all seven billion of us is an achievement worth noting. I don't get sad when one of them passes, but I do take a moment to remember what they contributed; that they are names of note to be remembered for years past their life is a hell of a monument, one that each of them built and earned.

It's something I choose to celebrate. So, yeah; Mr. Horner, Mr. Van Patten, Mr. Williams, and Mr. Lee: well done, gents. Well fucking done, indeed.

*Raises a glass*

Houn on
    I was hoping the Independence Day sequels would keep the holiday naming convention

Presidents' Day
    Thanksgiving Day
    Arbor Day
    National Pickle Day
    Tax Day

No those are those awful rom com collaboration films that come out.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    short review: Inside Out

I liked it, I liked it a lot, but it wasn't my favorite Pixar film, but it's probably third behind Ratatouille and Monsters, Inc.

Not many nitpicks, it's pretty great, but I had some issues with certain plot elements re: mechanics of emotional processes.

I just wonder how much China panda-ering will be in the movie in order to appease foreign markets.

Atomika wrote: »
    I was hoping the Independence Day sequels would keep the holiday naming convention

Presidents' Day
    Thanksgiving Day
    Arbor Day
    National Pickle Day
    Tax Day

It's all about Boxing Day. Oh, no, Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day! "As America remember the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, the aliens launch a sneak attack of their own...."

(interestingly, December 7th is also international Civil Aviation day, so they could also be celebrating Randy Quaid's heroic sacrifice!)

Halloween Day
    The Last Day of School
    Dia de los Muertos
    Next Next Friday After Next

A Friday remake should be on tap soon, maybe this will rocket Chet Haze to stardom.

edited June 2015
    TexiKen wrote: »
    A Friday remake should be on tap soon, maybe this will rocket Chet Haze to stardom.

Chet Haze has to be the most embarrassing thing for his poor parents and siblings

but then again, maybe don't name your kid "Chester"

Atomika on

Chet Haze has to be the most embarrassing thing for his poor parents and siblings

I dunno did you see Colin Hanks on Dexter? And don't get me started about his Kayaking buddies.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I dunno did you see Colin Hanks on Dexter? And don't get me started about his Kayaking buddies.

He was alright on Dexter, not his best work I'll grant you. This made me a fan of his for life. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DigaxGStjC8

I loved Colin on the Good Guys, another show killed too soon.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Colin doesn't have his dad's comic timing, but he's been really good in his roles in Fargo and Mad Men

Oh I completely forgot he was in Fargo. Yeah he was great as Gus, though just about everyone was good in Fargo.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I'm still not over the death of Jim Henson.
    1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.