As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ask Tube

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Rehab wrote: »
    imagine is the worst song any member of the beatles ever wrote

Due to the existence of Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time I must respectfully disagree.

I stand by my original statement

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Apologies if this question has been asked before:

Does @ 'ing you (and other mods) for non-urgent forum matters, like say, a reeeeeaaaally cute picture of a hedgehog wearing a wizard's hat annoy you? Maybe 'annoy' is the wrong word...does it distract you from more pressing matters?

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    What can change the nature of a forumer?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    bwanie wrote: »
    Does your eye start twitching when we mention Wiggin?

Nah, Wiggins are ten a penny
    Are there any forumers you really want to ban but just never break the rules?

Oh sure. If they're that negative of a force I'd get rid of them anyway, but the community can't consist solely of people that I like.
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Do you still lift, Tube?

And please tell me you still have that Hellboy cutout. I saw one in a comic book shop window a few weeks back and I remembered that you had one and I was jealous because I couldn't have the one in the window (it wasn't for sale).

Yes. It's been a slow couple of years due to the amount of travelling I've been doing. The Hellboy cutout did not make the intercontinental move I'm afraid.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Geebs is it basically a form of GB

like those are your initials or something

and people call you "GB" or "Geebs" so that's just become your thing

is that the origin of it

the origin comes from some kids in middle school trying to call me nigel because nigel is a name for...smart people? then I told them to call me jeeves instead because then I'd have a website (askjeeves.com) and then they kind of butchered it and I used it on the internet for some reason

This is the most late 90s/early 00s retort imaginable

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Was katchem_ash a mod alt? Sorry if you're sick of this question, or have answered it before.

Also wanted to say great job running the forums through the years! Sincere thanks!

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Given the strict rule against Alts, is Bizarro Stormy just a legacy thing? Always wondered about that

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Apologies if this question has been asked before:

Does @ 'ing you (and other mods) for non-urgent forum matters, like say, a reeeeeaaaally cute picture of a hedgehog wearing a wizard's hat annoy you? Maybe 'annoy' is the wrong word...does it distract you from more pressing matters?

It's kind of annoying, yeah, but I don't say anything because people are trying to be nice. As a reference point, one of the main things I'm @ mentioned for is community suicide attempts, so getting those emails can be a little stressful. @ mention is for things I actually need to see. PMs are better for fun stuff.
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    What can change the nature of a forumer?

I'm not sure about nature, but demeanour can be changed through conditioning. Forumers change based on how they're treated, either to live up to the expectations of those they like or to subvert those of people they don't. Members who are trying to contribute but are treated as trolls will assume the persona of a troll in order to regain control of the narrative.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Tube if you could go anywhere in the world for vacation where would you go?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I still have a couple alts I just never use them. They are from waaaaay back in the day.

• Options
    lostwords wrote: »
    Was katchem_ash a mod alt? Sorry if you're sick of this question, or have answered it before.

He was not. I don't find that kind of stuff hugely amusing. There's a lot of evidence that Ash was 100% on the level.
    Given the strict rule against Alts, is Bizarro Stormy just a legacy thing? Always wondered about that

Yep.
    Uriel wrote: »
    Tube if you could go anywhere in the world for vacation where would you go?

Hawaii seems nice. I've been to most of the places I wanted to. I suppose Asia is the more obvious choice, since it's the continent I've spent the least time in.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    tube will you send me a maple long john pleaaassseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Which old forumer do you miss the most?

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Are there any events that happen throughout the year that causes extra attention from the mods and if so, how do you plan for those times? I'm thinking things like E3.

No I don't.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    @ceres

Why are you trending on my Facebook?

3Ik93m7.png

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    When I get serious answers to a tongue-in-cheek usage of the old Avellone classic, I always appreciate it <3

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Tube wrote: »
    lostwords wrote: »

He was not. I don't find that kind of stuff hugely amusing. There's a lot of evidence that Ash was 100% on the level.
    Addendum: I actually received some angry messages after Manifest's joke all those years ago, and I still get asked about it at PAXes!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Which old forumer do you miss the most?

Still boddah I'm afraid.
    Are there any events that happen throughout the year that causes extra attention from the mods and if so, how do you plan for those times? I'm thinking things like E3.

Yeah, plenty. Big news events, particular hot button threads, PR snafus. E3 never really causes much trouble.

• Options
    During Gamer Gate, were there any attempts to 'raid' the forums by a bunch of newly created accounts or anything of that nature?

I remember you kind of asking for discussion on it to tone down because we were attracting undesirable elements, but was there any sort of concerted effort to disrupt the forums that had to be shut down?

Basically do you keep us so safe we don't even know how good we have it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Bizzaro Stormy is secretly Obama, posting from the White House

No.

He is Bizzaro Stormy

OBAMA IS BIZZARO STORMY!? :O

• Options
    During Gamer Gate, were there any attempts to 'raid' the forums by a bunch of newly created accounts or anything of that nature?

I remember you kind of asking for discussion on it to tone down because we were attracting undesirable elements, but was there any sort of concerted effort to disrupt the forums that had to be shut down?

To a limited degree. Three or four people would show up at a time. The main reason I asked to tone it down was because it was doing my fucking head in and the quality of conversation was appalling.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    This one is for all the mods,

Have you ever looked back and were surprised at how some things have managed to stand the test of time and crop up every once in a while (ie. Fucked on the boat)? Any personal thoughts on those sorts of things?

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options

To a limited degree. Three or four people would show up at a time. The main reason I asked to tone it down was because it was doing my fucking head in and the quality of conversation was appalling.

Gotcha

Follow-up from the flipside

Way

WAY back in the day (not sure if you were admin even?) I remember people from here used to raid other forums for.. whatever reason, who knows. It was always discouraged and punished and eventually stopped, but always the worst

Can you think of anything like that that the whole community participated in that's dissappointed or upset you since then

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I imagine if Bizarro Stormy/Regular Stormy were used anywhere near to the extent it used to be Tube would put a stop to it.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Have your aims as to what kind of community you want to foster changed over the years? And what informs that? Do you get instruction from above (ie Khoo or whoever) about the things that should/shouldn't happen here, or is it all your own discretion?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »

Question to Tube: is there any possibility of you doing a streamed playthrough of Heavy Rain if sufficiently excessive funds were raised for Child's Play?

I have no objection to doing a Heavy Rain playthrough, but the practicalities of doing so make it unlikely to ever happen. I don't own a PS3, they're becoming harder to come by and I have no plans to buy one under my own steam. I like doing livestreams, but not enough to throw five hundred odd quid at it.

I has a PS3. You could stream from here or borrow it if you find a PS3 game you really want.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    This is a couple pages late but I really like when people call me Whippy irl. It's the only nickname I've ever had in my life and it's very special to me. I've gone by two other names before and only one of them you get to call me without getting slapped. But "Whippy" is special. It's me.

I've always stuck to my web handle over my real name.

Though it's kinda funny seeing the variation people get out of two words in terms of what to call me.

• Options
    I'm still amazed by the changes SE had gone through. When the chat thread in G&T was closed I figured I was done on the forums for good.

I hated SE back then and if it had remained that way I know I wouldn't be here right now posting.

I'm constantly thankful to the administration for making this a great place to be.

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    A crazy billionaire decides to make a movie about your life, who would be the director of the film and who would be the actor that plays you?

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    There are some topics in Debate and Discourse where it is almost impossible to express a contrary opinion because of dog piling (basically anything conservative in a political thread). Has this factored into your thinking on possible attempts to solve the dog piling problem?

• Options
    Have your aims as to what kind of community you want to foster changed over the years? And what informs that? Do you get instruction from above (ie Khoo or whoever) about the things that should/shouldn't happen here, or is it all your own discretion?

I receive essentially zero instruction from Robert. If he has a problem with something I'm doing, he'd tell me. It's only happened once that I can recall.

My goal is generally "create an environment that I would want to spend time in". As I get older and pass the point where I would realistically have left the forums under my own steam, it's closer to "create an environment that people I consider good and worthwhile would want to spend time in". It used to be "govern the community based on a set of arbitrary and ill-thought out ethical principles", EG, "we can't ban that person because they haven't technically broken a rule".

Gotcha

Follow-up from the flipside

Way

WAY back in the day (not sure if you were admin even?) I remember people from here used to raid other forums for.. whatever reason, who knows. It was always discouraged and punished and eventually stopped, but always the worst

Can you think of anything like that that the whole community participated in that's dissappointed or upset you since then

Some overt and ugly bullying. One incident in particular sticks out in my mind, but I won't go into detail. It's notable that users who are most likely to complain about how they are treated or call out others on their insensitivity are the ones bully the most viciously when they have the opportunity.

• Options
    There are some topics in Debate and Discourse where it is almost impossible to express a contrary opinion because of dog piling (basically anything conservative in a political thread). Has this factored into your thinking on possible attempts to solve the dog piling problem?

Yes

• Options
    This is a good thread tube

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Gonmun wrote: »
    This one is for all the mods,

Have you ever looked back and were surprised at how some things have managed to stand the test of time and crop up every once in a while (ie. Fucked on the boat)? Any personal thoughts on those sorts of things?

There were a couple bandwagony things that I thought would hang on longer than they did.

The ones that really overstayed their welcome were surprising as well. Lime for truth, dancing dong, etc.

I like the longstanding forum injoke, though, as long as it isn't shitty or used to exclude people who aren't in the know. Gives a community a unique flavor, kind of its own regional dialect.

Things like that can certainly go too far and become irritating, shitty, or exclusionary, but I think we have a decent amount of language and in jokes that make our community feel unique without being alienating.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Does a forumer's popularity with the community affect how they are or are not punished if they break the rules?

I certainly do not expect 110% fairness and impartiality when it comes to modding. Clearly the chronic asshole is going to be judged more harshly and such. But there have been a small handful of incidents over the years where, to the casual observing idiot anyways, it's felt blatantly extreme. Like if any other poster on any other topic said those exact words, they would be thumped out so hard and fast you'd have to frame the hole in the wall that was left. But... nothing at all happens. And they get a dozen likes and awesomes for the behavior and the community treats them like a saint. And to a lurker looking at that, it looks absolutely frightening.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    For the record, I don't care if you call me Raijin or Steve... But you doesn't hasta call me Quickfoot.

Okay, Slowhand.

Oh shit, I figured it out, you're another famous one!

• Options
    I def feel like popularity used to give you more immunity

But people will absolutely call the top posters out on stuff these days I think

• Options
    I guess I more mean community reaction and not modding though

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Has anyone thought about adding a real name option? Could show up above title and people could enable it if they wished.

Just do what I did. Real name and IQ score, right there in the handle.

This discussion has been closed.