The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Ask Tube

13031333536100

Posts

  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    denihilist wrote: »
    Radius wrote: »
    Is it true that the mod forum has an anime thread?

    That is 100% fact. Tube's favorite anime is currently Assassination Classroom and Kids on the Slope. He won't shut up about them. Please PM him your thoughts.

    I don't even know what those are.

    b1ehrMM.gif
    A Dabble Of Thelonius
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    If I were a billionaire I would totally buy reddit just to enact the glorious edict and it would be amazing.

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
    JayKaosbowenToxShortyDyvim TvarKetBraMortal SkyGoose!a5ehrenMetzger MeisterBarcardicB557L Ron HowardDarth WaiterDisruptedCapitalistTransporterNightDragonGvzbgulJacobkoshElaroCampyTofystedethNartwakRomanian My EscutcheonShadowenUsagiCaulk Bite 6chrishallett83AnialosMr FuzzbuttSorceTefCantideEchoAndy JoeSlayer of DreamsJacques L'HommeAlbino BunnyVegemytejakobaggersarukunJaysonFour
  • Platypus BeirutPlatypus Beirut Registered User regular
    Kids on the slope sounds a lot like my childhood

    GethFlarne
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel up to my see thru butt in wily espionage Registered User regular
    Kids on the slope sounds a lot like my childhood

    Kids on the Slope sounds like an even more Canadian Kids in the Hall.

    lh5oqqz.gif
    BeNarwhalBahamutZEROCorporateLogoDyvim TvarhailtothekaleNocrenSlacker71KilroyBedlamRomanian My EscutcheonCaulk Bite 6chrishallett83sarukunBouwsT
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Kids on the Slope Rulz and Art Blakey is Da Man that Rulz

    DaMoonRulz on
    19904925_10212110475210016_877199487209228783_n.jpg?oh=da06b077303b0c8114ab8b0fbb667c4f&oe=59C4B278

    "Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are smarter than one man. How's that again? I missed something" Lazarus Long

  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Kids on the slope sounds a lot like my childhood

    Kids on the Slope sounds like an even more Canadian Kids in the Hall.

    And thus Canime was born...

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    BahamutZERONitsua
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Man why did I have to find this thread at 1 AM yesterday and read through pretty much all of it?
    A steak! wrote: »
    My poor name!

    Winged supremacy

    Goose! on
    Nintendo Switch FC: SW-5618-5257-5789
    Slacker71
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel up to my see thru butt in wily espionage Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Kids on the slope sounds a lot like my childhood

    Kids on the Slope sounds like an even more Canadian Kids in the Hall.

    And thus Canime was born...

    Canadianimation.

    lh5oqqz.gif
    GonmunBedlamCaulk Bite 6
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Typically I find that the forums are a very pleasant place where people are encouraged to air their views and discuss things

    And that's good, but it's also where the dog-piling comes from, because when someone has a different view everyone then wants to talk about it

    Thing is (as someone who, I think, tends to have views that often don't share a lot with the norm, when it comes to movies and comics and such), when you are arguing with literally five or six people at once, even if none of those people are saying anything that would individually cause you upset or annoyance or whatever, it starts to get to you. The thread speeds up, you are trying to whack out responses to people, but you're hasty and you maybe don't articulate well, and then that inevitably gets seized by several people, and you start to get agitated, and upset, and angry, and then you flame out and there's that "okay guys we did it again" where there is some introspection and some PMs sent to smooth things over, and such.

    Which is good, it's good that those things are blips and we do smooth things over. And I also think that people very much do argue in good faith on here, like, you can tell that people are genuinely having this discussion with you because they are actually reading your posts and responding to them rather than making assumptions on their skimmed read of your post and general sense of your position, or changing it subtly to be something they can argue against.

    So I think that it's a problem but that it doesn't come from people being too unpleasant or aggressive, more it comes from people being expressive and passionate about stuff and as such they want to mention it. I'd really just say, like, if you see someone saying "I don't like thing" and other persons saying "okay well I do and this is why" and vice versa, then maybe jumping in to add your point too is just going to cause agitation.

    So I don't think, actually, that this is a mod problem. It's something that the community creates, and perhaps we should all look at trying to be more aware of the times where we need to step back and let someone cool off rather than jumping in themselves.

    Lindsay LohanNaphtaliNullzonehailtothekalecB557DisruptedCapitalist
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Kids on the slope sounds a lot like my childhood

    Kids on the Slope sounds like an even more Canadian Kids in the Hall.

    And thus Canime was born...

    Canadianimation.

    Come on,

    anim-eh

    is right there.

    OmnipotentBagelGonmunchromdomHermanoXaquinDyvim TvarMadEddycB557Darth WaiterBeNarwhalSnicketysnickSlacker71DarkPrimusTofystedethRomanian My EscutcheonShadowenCaulk Bite 6chrishallett83BionicPenguinJoolanderAnialosSorcedarleysamNijaThe Hanged ManKaplardestroyah87Jacques L'HommeAlbino BunnyVegemytejakobaggersarukunvegeta_666BouwsT
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel up to my see thru butt in wily espionage Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Kids on the slope sounds a lot like my childhood

    Kids on the Slope sounds like an even more Canadian Kids in the Hall.

    And thus Canime was born...

    Canadianimation.

    Come on,

    anim-eh

    is right there.

    Dammit

    lh5oqqz.gif
    GonmunNarbusCaulk Bite 6
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Tube: What's your favorite music to relax to? Also, what's your favorite hobby that helps you unwind from dealing with all of the forum madness?

    I don't really listen to music to relax. As far as hobbies, I like to find a game that I can chill out in and go a bit zen. Otherwise it's still weightlifting.
    As an addendum:

    Will we get to see you (and any other PA staff) again at the next SouthPAX?

    Unless something weird happens, yes. I imagine Robert will probably be there too.
    ronya wrote: »
    most dedicated message boards have shrunk a lot since their internet heyday in the mid 2000s - did anybody keep numbers? what are trends like?

    People have more places to go now, but I don't really track those trends. Forum traffic isn't a KPI.
    do Penny Arcade's new publications - podcasts, assorted online tv series - have any noticeable effects on forum activity? I'm guessing each PAX creates a bump of users who then vanish.

    Sure, they bring more people into the forums. Not necessarily into the community though. Whether we want to convert more of that traffic and how we do it is an interesting question.
    godmode wrote: »
    Which E3 announcements have you the most excited? What hardware and software can you not wait to get your hands on?

    I like the look of Fallout 4, but it's mostly the Rift that I'm looking forward to at this point. The Elite announcements sucked, and I'm fast losing faith in that property.
    ronya wrote: »
    although on reflection, a census would be a really good proxy for the number of users engaged enough in a sense of community to answer a census

    The census has zero utility as an analytic.
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Have your aims as to what kind of community you want to foster changed over the years? And what informs that? Do you get instruction from above (ie Khoo or whoever) about the things that should/shouldn't happen here, or is it all your own discretion?

    I receive essentially zero instruction from Robert. If he has a problem with something I'm doing, he'd tell me. It's only happened once that I can recall.

    My goal is generally "create an environment that I would want to spend time in". As I get older and pass the point where I would realistically have left the forums under my own steam, it's closer to "create an environment that people I consider good and worthwhile would want to spend time in". It used to be "govern the community based on a set of arbitrary and ill-thought out ethical principles", EG, "we can't ban that person because they haven't technically broken a rule".

    can you reveal what that once was?

    Nope

    I'm pretty sure it was banning of the N word, right?

    Nope

  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    You know who I miss? Bemis.

    I mean, we still talk on Facebook and stuff. But still.

    Actually I miss all the old XBOX Call of Duty crew. And they are why I'll always be fine with people calling me Metzger even if I do kinda fuckin hate my forum handle nowadays.

    Insane murderers are no one to commemorate, younger me. Even if Rammstein wrote a rad song about them.

    @Metzger Meister Bemis is the absolute best, it's true!

    Metzger Meister
  • NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    You know who I miss? Bemis.

    I mean, we still talk on Facebook and stuff. But still.

    Actually I miss all the old XBOX Call of Duty crew. And they are why I'll always be fine with people calling me Metzger even if I do kinda fuckin hate my forum handle nowadays.

    Insane murderers are no one to commemorate, younger me. Even if Rammstein wrote a rad song about them.

    @Metzger Meister Bemis is the absolute best, it's true!
    man. The xbox COD crew. Good times.

    xXNXOA7.png?1
    Metzger Meister
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Ringo is a great drummer

    'Rain' and 'Only A Northern Song' are incredible

    Xaquin on
    LadaiSlacker71The Hanged Man
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    JohnHam wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Regardless of Zay's question on thread-specific banning, I do think it would be great to have some more transparency in how and why moderation decisions are made, and potentially some sort of actual escalation path in the case of disagreements. As it is now, your choice is; speak to the mod who punished you directly and express contrition (regardless of whether the punitive action was legit or not in your mind), or GTFO. It would be good to have some sort of clarified process that allows the community to understand (and comment on) the way the community's being managed, and to resolve those differences of opinion in a way that isn't completely black box.

    The "bans" thread did this to some small extent but I think a more up-front and open process would foster the perception that mods are accountable for their decisions and ultimately help diffuse the discord around those controversial disciplinary situations.
    There is a procedure for escalating. It's described in the rules thread in some detail. The short version is, talk to the mod from whence the action came. If you are not satisfied with the answer given, talk to the Administrator. If you are not satisfied with the Administrator's response, too bad.

    Of course, but that process is still completely obscured from the community at-large and the result is ultimately contingent on the opinion of, at most, two people. Even if it's rarely utilized I think just having a more-detailed and transparent process would help the vibe in contentious situations.

    I think it's obscured to a point because we don't want this to be a forum about how the forum is run, lest the whole endeavor collapse in a puff of meta. When we have rules like "don't bitch about mod decisions in the thread", it's not because we're capricious or secretive or unaccountable. It's because a discussion of someone's behavior and subsequent mod actions would get in the way of what the thread was ostensibly designed to discuss, and that tangent would only be of interest to a tiny number of people anyway.

    In addition, it's inaccurate to say that any mod decision or appeal is seen by two people at most. Every report and every infraction gets logged, and most mods browse at least some of those, so that everything any of us do gets seen by a fairly large fraction of the mod base. We also comment in the mod forum about appeals or complaints, and introspection is fairly common - mods flat-out asking "Did I make the right call here?" happens often.

    If you approach us with courtesy - not necessarily contrition, but simple courtesy - you are guaranteed to receive at least a polite assessment of why we think something went wrong that required action.

    Also, based on my observations, Tube isn't inclined to side with a mod just because he's a mod, or ignore complaints out of hand. Hell, I got dinged recently because I called someone an asshole and told them to get fucked. I screwed up, Tube called me on it, I ate my points, no big.

    Absolutely; the place for this sort of additional transparency would definitely not be within the thread where the moderation occurred, or even (necessarily) the forum. I don't want to sacrifice the integrity and clarity of the discussion itself for the purposes of clarifying moderation.

    In terms of the "formalized", public process for dealing with moderator disputes (as zerzhul paraphrased it), it is a two-stage system. I tend to assume there's more discussion going on behind the scenes, but none of that being exposed, I could absolutely understand a user not making that assumption.

    Even in consideration of all you've detailed; none of these mod conversations are exposed to users, so even if they are happening, and demonstrate that the mods are in fact quite capable and conscientious in their decisionmaking, it's having relatively little effect on how moderation is perceived.

    Well.

    Imagine you are the poster in question. You get an infraction. Do you really want the entire forum to see half a dozen posts of mods discussing exactly how we feel that you screwed up?

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
    chrishallett83
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    All anime is bad.

    All of it.

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
    tynicClint EastwoodNikolaiGoose!A Dabble Of TheloniusDyvim TvarbowenDubhLabelcB557MulletudeThe BetgirlRehabcr0wjmcdonald
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Regardless of Zay's question on thread-specific banning, I do think it would be great to have some more transparency in how and why moderation decisions are made, and potentially some sort of actual escalation path in the case of disagreements. As it is now, your choice is; speak to the mod who punished you directly and express contrition (regardless of whether the punitive action was legit or not in your mind), or GTFO. It would be good to have some sort of clarified process that allows the community to understand (and comment on) the way the community's being managed, and to resolve those differences of opinion in a way that isn't completely black box.

    The "bans" thread did this to some small extent but I think a more up-front and open process would foster the perception that mods are accountable for their decisions and ultimately help diffuse the discord around those controversial disciplinary situations.
    There is a procedure for escalating. It's described in the rules thread in some detail. The short version is, talk to the mod from whence the action came. If you are not satisfied with the answer given, talk to the Administrator. If you are not satisfied with the Administrator's response, too bad.

    Of course, but that process is still completely obscured from the community at-large and the result is ultimately contingent on the opinion of, at most, two people. Even if it's rarely utilized I think just having a more-detailed and transparent process would help the vibe in contentious situations.

    I think it's obscured to a point because we don't want this to be a forum about how the forum is run, lest the whole endeavor collapse in a puff of meta. When we have rules like "don't bitch about mod decisions in the thread", it's not because we're capricious or secretive or unaccountable. It's because a discussion of someone's behavior and subsequent mod actions would get in the way of what the thread was ostensibly designed to discuss, and that tangent would only be of interest to a tiny number of people anyway.

    In addition, it's inaccurate to say that any mod decision or appeal is seen by two people at most. Every report and every infraction gets logged, and most mods browse at least some of those, so that everything any of us do gets seen by a fairly large fraction of the mod base. We also comment in the mod forum about appeals or complaints, and introspection is fairly common - mods flat-out asking "Did I make the right call here?" happens often.

    If you approach us with courtesy - not necessarily contrition, but simple courtesy - you are guaranteed to receive at least a polite assessment of why we think something went wrong that required action.

    Also, based on my observations, Tube isn't inclined to side with a mod just because he's a mod, or ignore complaints out of hand. Hell, I got dinged recently because I called someone an asshole and told them to get fucked. I screwed up, Tube called me on it, I ate my points, no big.

    Absolutely; the place for this sort of additional transparency would definitely not be within the thread where the moderation occurred, or even (necessarily) the forum. I don't want to sacrifice the integrity and clarity of the discussion itself for the purposes of clarifying moderation.

    In terms of the "formalized", public process for dealing with moderator disputes (as zerzhul paraphrased it), it is a two-stage system. I tend to assume there's more discussion going on behind the scenes, but none of that being exposed, I could absolutely understand a user not making that assumption.

    Even in consideration of all you've detailed; none of these mod conversations are exposed to users, so even if they are happening, and demonstrate that the mods are in fact quite capable and conscientious in their decisionmaking, it's having relatively little effect on how moderation is perceived.

    Well.

    Imagine you are the poster in question. You get an infraction. Do you really want the entire forum to see half a dozen posts of mods discussing exactly how we feel that you screwed up?

    No, not in particular. Though what about just a single line pointing to the general idea? Like "Violated Glorious Edict" or "Spamming" and such. No specifics, but gives people an idea what's occurred.

    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Master of the House of Lust Registered User regular
    On a scale of very to extremely, how much have Dongs Galore's posts improved the forum

    BeNarwhalchrishallett83
  • NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    Tube, Between you and all the mods, who can do the most push ups.

    xXNXOA7.png?1
  • BogartBogart Newsflash, fuckwads: I'm a good person. Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is a weird question, but can any mod find out what happened to my original account that was named just "timspork"? Back in 2006 I was typing a post and hit submit right when the entire server crashed and when it came back up my account seemed to have disapeared. I emailed a mod at the time, no idea who, but never heard anything so I made this account instead. It wasn't a big deal. I only really lost my original join date which was older.

    I've always been curious what happened.

    @timspork's ghost The exact same thing happened to me at the exact same time. I think alphamonkey (maybe?) was the guy I emailed about it, and he created a new account with the same name for me. I think about five or six of us all lost our accounts, posts and any threads we'd started, as well as the old join date.

  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Turambar wrote: »
    Tube, will you stream yourself playing the upcoming Hitman?

    Probably not, I didn't stream the last one. I only stream for child's play, it's not something I'd do for fun.
    Pony wrote: »
    i would participate in Munkus' census but participation in the census is also consenting to participation in the forumer opinion thread and i hate those

    so

    i don't participate in the census

    if Munkus separated those two things or made participation in the forumer opinion thread optional maybe he'd get more census data, idk

    The census data is worthless. The forumer opinion thread is the only point.
    JohnHam wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Regardless of Zay's question on thread-specific banning, I do think it would be great to have some more transparency in how and why moderation decisions are made, and potentially some sort of actual escalation path in the case of disagreements. As it is now, your choice is; speak to the mod who punished you directly and express contrition (regardless of whether the punitive action was legit or not in your mind), or GTFO. It would be good to have some sort of clarified process that allows the community to understand (and comment on) the way the community's being managed, and to resolve those differences of opinion in a way that isn't completely black box.

    The "bans" thread did this to some small extent but I think a more up-front and open process would foster the perception that mods are accountable for their decisions and ultimately help diffuse the discord around those controversial disciplinary situations.
    There is a procedure for escalating. It's described in the rules thread in some detail. The short version is, talk to the mod from whence the action came. If you are not satisfied with the answer given, talk to the Administrator. If you are not satisfied with the Administrator's response, too bad.

    Of course, but that process is still completely obscured from the community at-large and the result is ultimately contingent on the opinion of, at most, two people. Even if it's rarely utilized I think just having a more-detailed and transparent process would help the vibe in contentious situations.

    Transparency isn't high on our list of priorities, for reasons that deni elaborated on. I'm interested in transparency only as far as it lets people know how they can reasonably avoid breaking the rules. The pretence of democracy can be extremely damaging to the community. The escalation process is designed to deal with potentially dozens of inquiries per week, and each infraction is already seen by over a dozen eyes. It's an effective system, and I don't see any pressing need to change it. It's not the system some would prefer, but I'm afraid that I don't find the arguments for (significantly) changing it to be compelling.
    Pony wrote: »
    Bobkins brings up a good point, and this is also a question for Tube:

    Is there something that can be done to give more transparency to when moderator action is being taken? Right now, we can't see when a post gets infracted, and we can't view a user's infractions, and you don't make a point of updating the infractions thread for everyone's general infractions because it is admittedly a pain in the hole. This can sometimes lead to the impression that unless we can literally see a user get jailed or banned, that a user is getting away with something with impunity and a post is perfectly kosher even though it's totally not and they ate an infraction for it because we're not seeing what's going on. Unless the moderator publicly shows up in the thread to yell at the person for it, we don't necessarily know any moderator action has taken place.

    Are there any steps being taken place to fix this issue? Displaying a post got a user infracted seems like the easiest fix, but that might be a serious technical challenge for Icy, I don't know all of why that changed.

    We'd like to fix infraction banners not showing up. I'll chase it up with Vanilla.

  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    That joke anime thread last year caused a few forumers I really like to leave the forums (notably, MikeLL and RFilyaw)
    This is incorrect, but people keep posting it as if it were true.
    I mean, they've come back from time to time, but feelings were hurt, and even if I've forgiven y'all for it, I'm still a bit sour about the honeypot thing and how the joke got pushed a bit too far
    Ronnie has literally said he's left to focus on streaming, and Mike has never commented on it as far as I can tell.

    You're inventing a narrative based on almost no evidence, and then passing it off as What Actually Happened. People ask where the weird goofy threads went, and I think this is a reason why.

    I dunno, fuck it, I may have read that thread wrong, but I definitely remember things being that way

    but it's not about the anime, it's about the fact that every once in a while, moderation here is capable of acting in poor faith and taking it too far

    and I would hope things move in the right direction

  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Regardless of Zay's question on thread-specific banning, I do think it would be great to have some more transparency in how and why moderation decisions are made, and potentially some sort of actual escalation path in the case of disagreements. As it is now, your choice is; speak to the mod who punished you directly and express contrition (regardless of whether the punitive action was legit or not in your mind), or GTFO. It would be good to have some sort of clarified process that allows the community to understand (and comment on) the way the community's being managed, and to resolve those differences of opinion in a way that isn't completely black box.

    The "bans" thread did this to some small extent but I think a more up-front and open process would foster the perception that mods are accountable for their decisions and ultimately help diffuse the discord around those controversial disciplinary situations.
    There is a procedure for escalating. It's described in the rules thread in some detail. The short version is, talk to the mod from whence the action came. If you are not satisfied with the answer given, talk to the Administrator. If you are not satisfied with the Administrator's response, too bad.

    Of course, but that process is still completely obscured from the community at-large and the result is ultimately contingent on the opinion of, at most, two people. Even if it's rarely utilized I think just having a more-detailed and transparent process would help the vibe in contentious situations.

    I think it's obscured to a point because we don't want this to be a forum about how the forum is run, lest the whole endeavor collapse in a puff of meta. When we have rules like "don't bitch about mod decisions in the thread", it's not because we're capricious or secretive or unaccountable. It's because a discussion of someone's behavior and subsequent mod actions would get in the way of what the thread was ostensibly designed to discuss, and that tangent would only be of interest to a tiny number of people anyway.

    In addition, it's inaccurate to say that any mod decision or appeal is seen by two people at most. Every report and every infraction gets logged, and most mods browse at least some of those, so that everything any of us do gets seen by a fairly large fraction of the mod base. We also comment in the mod forum about appeals or complaints, and introspection is fairly common - mods flat-out asking "Did I make the right call here?" happens often.

    If you approach us with courtesy - not necessarily contrition, but simple courtesy - you are guaranteed to receive at least a polite assessment of why we think something went wrong that required action.

    Also, based on my observations, Tube isn't inclined to side with a mod just because he's a mod, or ignore complaints out of hand. Hell, I got dinged recently because I called someone an asshole and told them to get fucked. I screwed up, Tube called me on it, I ate my points, no big.

    Absolutely; the place for this sort of additional transparency would definitely not be within the thread where the moderation occurred, or even (necessarily) the forum. I don't want to sacrifice the integrity and clarity of the discussion itself for the purposes of clarifying moderation.

    In terms of the "formalized", public process for dealing with moderator disputes (as zerzhul paraphrased it), it is a two-stage system. I tend to assume there's more discussion going on behind the scenes, but none of that being exposed, I could absolutely understand a user not making that assumption.

    Even in consideration of all you've detailed; none of these mod conversations are exposed to users, so even if they are happening, and demonstrate that the mods are in fact quite capable and conscientious in their decisionmaking, it's having relatively little effect on how moderation is perceived.

    Well.

    Imagine you are the poster in question. You get an infraction. Do you really want the entire forum to see half a dozen posts of mods discussing exactly how we feel that you screwed up?

    I mean, in any case the reality of what has already been said exists. It's not as though the community ramifications of that decision aren't already felt as a result of the decision itself (making the offending post). It would not be more embarrassing, to me, to see a group of moderators calmly discuss how the post was a violation and why the punishment was what it was. I presume that these mod discussions don't consist of mean posts that could hurt users' feelings.

    I also wouldn't suggest a "permanent record" of every single thing a person has ever done wrong so that it can be pinned to their chest for eternity.

    More than anything; I want to underscore that I don't have a detailed, specific recommendation for how to rectify this state of affairs (I don't even have the backend knowledge to truly suggest any sort of "better" system), but I do think the overall criticism is valid and contributes to some users' lack of trust of moderation staff and moderation decisions.

    JohnHam on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I can't remember ever being surprised upon seeing a user kicked from a thread (discounting joke kicks). Like, this is not a grand mystery, shrouded in arcane smoke and mirrors.

    The only time I'm surprised is seeing users essentially perma-kicked from threads. Though this is mostly in G&T and certain game/franchise threads where a some people are not welcome anymore and the mods enact the kick in the first page of a new thread.

    newSig.jpg
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    You know who I miss? Bemis.

    I mean, we still talk on Facebook and stuff. But still.

    Actually I miss all the old XBOX Call of Duty crew. And they are why I'll always be fine with people calling me Metzger even if I do kinda fuckin hate my forum handle nowadays.

    Insane murderers are no one to commemorate, younger me. Even if Rammstein wrote a rad song about them.

    @Metzger Meister Bemis is the absolute best, it's true!

    He's basically the best person I know. I wanna grow up to be just like him.

    TL DR
  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo Your motherfucking life ends thirty minutes from now.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I dunno, fuck it, I may have read that thread wrong, but I definitely remember things being that way

    but it's not about the anime, it's about the fact that every once in a while, moderation here is capable of acting in poor faith and taking it too far

    and I would hope things move in the right direction
    You're saying I made the thread in poor faith. So what you do think my real reason for making the thread was?

    U9Syuit.png
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    -Tal wrote: »
    I don't feel comfortable contacting moderators because I'm afraid they're going to privately bully me

    I'm just one data point, but every time I've ever privately contacted a mod either to apologize for something (creating a thread that went to hell, posting an image too big, losing my cool, whatever) or just to ask about something they've been real nice about it.

    Now, every time I've done it I've been very genial. If you PM them and start a rant my single data point probably won't be useful to you.

    The guideline moderators are given is "don't be any ruder in your response than they were in their message". I do random spot checks to see if it's being followed, and it is.
    My assumption around these parts is that it's always ok to ask why a decision about you was made, if you're not a jerk about it, and that if you find any action of a mod towards you questionable you can ask tube about it. (again, if you're not a jerk about it)

    Would this be accurate, or not accurate?

    Obviously, I can't speak for others, but it hasn't in years felt like anything wasn't up for discussion, or at least clarification, as long as you took it to private messaging. But I also haven't had any reason to need to do so, either, which is a privilege.

    Precisely accurate.
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    I don't feel comfortable contacting moderators because I'm afraid they're going to privately bully me

    I doubt that happens unless said person does something deserving of being chastised a bit.

    It almost doesn't matter whether there is some actual mod bullying epidemic; if the tone of moderation makes people feel like it could happen, the end result is that people are scared to have those discussions.

    There was a thread some time ago where a mod I had never even heard of came in and started being really abusive towards everyone. I don't remember many details, but like I'm sure no one was reporting it because it went on longer than the normal abusive stuff did/does. I have not seen that mod since, even as a member. I don't even remember their name or where that was, I just know I haven't seen them. It was really really awkward though. I kind of have Tal's fear because of that though since then, even though I've reported my share of stuff. I've also never really had to PM a mod first either though, so.

    I don't know dude, if you can't remember any details about who it was it sounds like this might have been a ghost.

    More seriously, we've had bad, shitty mods before. They're not mods any more. It's possible you hit one of those. If you're ever able to recall more details, please PM me and I'll look into it.

    One important thing to note: I am much, much harder on the moderators than I am on the users. They get away with very little, and the moderators who remain are the ones who aren't interested in trying to get away with things.
    Pony wrote: »
    The worst case scenario when contacting moderators, I've found, is deaf ears (blind eyes?)

    like you're just ignored and not responded to

    that has happened to me on more than one occasion, where I've contacted a moderator over getting kicked from a thread or an infraction or something and had them just straight up refuse to respond or engage me

    I wouldn't consider that bullying, per se

    It's not especially helpful

    but it's also not really their obligation? like they don't owe me an explanation or engagement or something

    it would've been nice, but whatever

    that's sort of the worst that's happened, just being ignored

    To be fair dude, if you send us a book to read we're going to move onto other things. Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read. My first question to a moderator accused of not responding to a Pony PM would be "was it 3000 words". I get that it's your thing, but you can't inflict it on someone and expect them to give up a chunk of their day. Keep it to the point, we have things to do.
    Radius wrote: »
    Is it true that the mod forum has an anime thread?

    It certainly did at some point.

    joshofalltradesButtersDisruptedCapitalistGreasyKidsStuffSlacker71ShadowenCaulk Bite 6chrishallett83QanamilcB557Jacques L'HommeVegemyteNitsuaAegeriPLA
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    brevity is the soul of getting your shit read is one of the best things that i've read today

    a5ehrenSolarChincymcchillazerzhuljgeisMadEddyI ZimbraNullzonejoshofalltradesHermanoDyvim TvarGizzyRainfallThe BetgirlBeNarwhalA Dabble Of TheloniusWheatBun01DisruptedCapitalistDarth WaiterNaphtalikaortiASimPersonKreutzRomanian My EscutcheonBlankzillaShadowenToxRehabEtiowsaCaulk Bite 6chrishallett83BionicPenguinAnialosKochikensMr FuzzbuttRaijin QuickfootCantideDelmainEchoNijaKwoaruThe Hanged ManAndy JoeJacques L'HommeAlbino BunnyVegemytejakobaggerCreaganSomestickguyAegeriStabbity Style
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tube, since we still have the indy game forum, I thought I'd ask: How are forum regulars treated if they launch a game title? Do they get a little more slack talking about it around the joint or should they still be confined to that sub forum?

    Ladies.
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    brevity is the soul of getting your shit read is one of the best things that i've read today

    And it was brief!

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • DubhDubh She/Her, Ace Bisexual 8-) More snakes for the snake godRegistered User regular
    Based on a brief conversation Pony and I had last night.

    Would you consider having some rules regarding CW (content warnings), when it comes to topics that might be traumatic for some folk? Like asking for spoilers when sensitive topics come up? Folk are usually pretty good about it, but some folk just aren't used to working with that sort of accommodation.

    Psn: Doobhbutt
    Steam: Doobh
  • ZayZay Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Zay wrote: »
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Kicking from a thread IS a warning.

    The user gets no points, it doesn't go on their record, and can be easily reversed should a mod feel the person has had a sufficient cooling-off period, and doesn't extend to any other thread in the forum.

    no it is not

    it is directly saying "you cannot participate in this topic anymore"

    someone i'm sure will argue "but there's so many more threads just go to one of those" and completely ignore the fact that different threads cover different topics

    again, it'd be one thing if it was a time out, and even then i would disagree with it's usage. stepping in to say "hey cut it out" is all you need to do, and in some cases may even get people to apologize, instead of just ending a conversation in a huff

    No it is not.

    It is directly saying "You have shown yourself entirely incapable of participating in this topic in any sort of constructive way, so you will no longer be allowed to participate at all".

    At least in every single (non-joke) instance of a kick that I have ever seen.

    I completely disagree, and am in fact about to post a post in a different thread regarding something someone was kicked for saying months ago. I mean -tal was kicked from the E3 thread for making posts that were criticizing the way someone looked at review scores, and if you check -tal's posts, they had a significant amount of agrees. It's a situation where you could argue perhaps the tone used was offensive, but they had a completely valid point, and were subsequently silenced on flimsy pretenses, no longer able to argue the point or even apologize for potentially being offensive in wording.

    Now that said it's pretty evident everyone else seems to enjoy kicking, so whatever. It's senseless to keep arguing it, but I at least am glad I was able to have the opportunity to talk about it again without being dogpiled like before.

    Cambiata
  • ZayZay Registered User regular
    And now for a follow up post.

    "the mods never bullied anyone! you can talk to them for moderation help!"
    denihilist wrote: »
    Zay wrote: »
    asking a sincere question is not passive aggressive, nor rude.

    i do not see a difference, at all, between "i do not like these posts, so i am ignoring them" and "i do not like these posts, so i am kicking from the thread". if you are philosophically opposed to one, you have to be to the other. they are both just ways to end any discourse with the least amount of thought.

    now, i will be rude and regular aggressive at the conclusion of this post, because when you mentioned having a discussion about moderation, i was hoping it would be a sincere discussion, not a terrible AMA where you get to ignore questions you don't like.

    LookAtMeBook.jpg

    How is this acceptable?

    -TalShortySpeed RacerWeedLordVegetacB557AbracadanielThe BetgirlBluedude152MegaMekhailtothekaleCrimson KingHellaJeffCambiataRawkking GoodguySirEtchwarts
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    edit: nevermind

    Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • -Tal-Tal The history of Hyrule is the history of the Calamity Ganon. Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I appreciate it zay but I actually did deserve that e3 thread kick, I was getting way too mad at that guy

    -Tal on
    yGivUB5.jpg
    ShortyI Win SwordfightsHahnsoo1The BetgirlNarbusLanglyToxchrishallett83ProlegomenaRhesus PositiveKwoaruCentipede DamascusSLyM
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Because it was funny?

    Dyvim TvarBeNarwhalLanglyToxRehabCaulk Bite 6chrishallett83darleysamCentipede DamascusVegemyte
  • DubhDubh She/Her, Ace Bisexual 8-) More snakes for the snake godRegistered User regular
    I've seen Tal get kicked for almost no reason

    because people thought they were "doing a thing"

    and I'm usually too afraid to ask why, because I'd rather not be dogpiled

    Psn: Doobhbutt
    Steam: Doobh
    JohnHamWeedLordVegetaZayDongs GaloreBluedude152Crimson KingSirEtchwarts
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I love it whenever -Tal is -Tal

    because I love -Tal and what other people call "his thing" I call "being a smart and insightful guy with a subtler sense of humour than most"

    Mortal SkyDongs GaloreStraightziMetzger MeisterSpeed RacerTamSlacker71OdinCrimson KingFoolOnTheHillNeoTomaCambiataSirEtchwarts
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I dunno, fuck it, I may have read that thread wrong, but I definitely remember things being that way

    but it's not about the anime, it's about the fact that every once in a while, moderation here is capable of acting in poor faith and taking it too far

    and I would hope things move in the right direction
    You're saying I made the thread in poor faith. So what you do think my real reason for making the thread was?

    I'm not saying it wasn't a joke. Shit, even I thought it was funny for most of the day, until a few other people stopped enjoying it and got sour.

    This is also how we lost Gary.

    ShortyASimPersonHellaJeffMr Fuzzbutt
This discussion has been closed.